Marathon Meltdown.

There has been a serious lack of blogging in my life. I apologize. I think I’ve been too depressed to blog because I have to write about running – or lack of running – and that means I have accept what has happened this week.

Rewind to Friday – the 20 miler. Congrats to Lindsey and Casey for their great runs. Mine was a different story. Horrid. Seriously considered quitting after ten miles. Felt so nauseous and horrible and upset the whole time. My mind was ready to run, and my body felt like crap.

I finally got myself off Lindsey’s stoop after eating a Power Gel and drinking some Gatorade, and headed back out for another 5 mile loop. Of which I walked 3 miles. At one point I started crying and sat down. At another point I gagged and dry-heaved on the side of the road. Awful.

Finally finished in total darkness and low spirits, although I was glad the others had fared better than me. Went home and jumped in the shower so we could go celebrate at dinner. And then jumped back out of the shower and threw up everywhere. Now I don’t want this to be a gross blog, but it happened, and it has to be talked about! I’ll spare the details, but I actually felt a million times better once I threw up, so I went and got a big hamburger for dinner:)

Saturday I woke up completely congested with a terrible cold. Casey and I left at 6am to head to a wedding that night in Chicago. Stuffy and miserable, I slept in the car most of the way. The wedding itself was great fun – lots of yummy food, embarrassing dancing, and all the rest that comes with a wedding. I was filled with Dayquil and Miller Lite, and therefore felt okay for the evening.

Sunday morning – BAM! Stuffy nose, coughing, aches, chills – you get the picture. Slept the entire way back from Chicago. Got home to watch the misery that was the last 20 minutes of the Bengals game, and then dragged my unenthused body to the sports bar to watch the Colts with Casey. Drank ice tea and ate chili (really wanted soup, but settled for icky chili). Once we got home I couldn’t take the aches anymore and went to bed by myself in the guest room at 7pm. Did not leave that bed until 1pm Monday to crawl downstairs and look for food. Found oatmeal and settled on the couch to watch about 10 episodes of Say Yes to the Dress.

Went back to work Tuesday, but still felt horrid. Wednesday more of the same, with the cough intensified. Attempted to go running after work on Wednesday and could not even run one block. Ended up returning home in tears. I’m supposed to run a marathon in two weeks.

Which brings me to yesterday, when I finally decided to go to the doctor. Who informed me that really, there was nothing she could do as this was a respiratory virus, and that, worse, these tend to last at least ten days. And there should be absolutely no running until it is fully cleared.

Which means that I have trained 5 months for a marathon that I am now questionable to even run. My lungs are totally shot. And I’m missing all my training runs. Supposed to run 12 tomorrow – not gonna happen. I’m trying to take long walks every day to keep my body moving and active. I don’t know what else to do.

Drinking lots of tea, eating constant cough drops, and crossing my fingers that this passes soon so I can get in a few short runs before I set out on 26.2.