A Garden of My Own.

First up, a quick business matter.  I’ve gotten a few emails from (awesome) readers letting me know that for some of you, my feeds have been really messed up since the blog move.  (This was my greatest fear!)  If you are getting a “google generated content blah blah blah” message coming up with a really ugly version of my post, make sure you change the subscription address to the following:

That should make things look normal again!  :)  I am crossing my fingers that the other 1,500 subscribers who are no longer showing up in my Feedburner aren’t lost and gone forever.  Come baaaaaack!

Moving right along, yesterday was a pretty low key day at the farm.  It was a scorching 98 degrees in Charlotte yesterday, so I decided to stay inside all day and get my menu planning and paperwork done for the week.  I will be cooking up so much yummy stuff every day!

Before I left, Tony, the farm manager, offered me some leftover seedlings that they didn’t have room to plant.  Never one to turn down free stuff, I happily accepted.  Little did these poor plants know that I have a black thumb, and kill any plant that comes near me.  From left to right – basil, lettuce, and parsley!

I’m hoping that a summer playing in gardens will help me turn my murderous ways  around.  My big sister works on a farm too (!) and is an amazing gardener, and my mom has been a professional florist and gardener for like 20 years!  The DNA fairy seems to have allotted all gardening abilities to other members of my family, but I’m going to do my best.

I got my very first job in high school was I was 16 – working for my mom at a flower and garden center.  While I may not be good at keeping plants alive, I am very good at planting and arranging them.  I started with the parsley, and spaced them out evenly so that they would have room to grow.  I hope they aren’t overcrowded!

Next I moved onto the basil – SO excited to have fresh basil at my house!  I really really hope that this thrives and grows BIG!

I had to do all my planting on the porch because just as I started my gardening project, we got a huge THUNDERstorm – scary!  But nothing was going to (literally) rain on my gardening parade – these babies needed to be planted and watered!

Last but certainly not least – four adorable little lettuce plants.  I give these about a 10% chance of survival.

I will pray over them daily.  Has anyone else ever grown lettuce?  Any tips or tricks?  I am too embarrassed to tell my farm friends that I am a plant killer.

All planted up and ready to GROW!

A little water, and a lot of love.  :)

When we were finished with our planters, the rain had stopped so we let the dogs back out into the yard to burn off some activity.  Huey proceeded to find the biggest stick in the entire yard, and beg us to play fetch.  Not gonna happen, Huey!

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!

IMG_6983 (640x480) ht="356" />

Yummy farm food coming up next!  :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 10:29 pm

We have critters that eat our garden every year. I am hoping to build something up at some point! If not for summer, for a fall garden.

Erin     at 10:50 pm

I have one major lettuce tip: don’t let it grow too big! Mine gets all wilted and droopy and yucky if I go too long between harvests. It must just reach a threshold?

Erin     at 10:51 pm

P.S. Good luck! And, way to go Huey!!!

Nicole     at 10:53 pm

My lettuce was huge when we harvested it last week! We live upsate, NY and my husband and I dabbled in our first garden this year. The romaine was monsterous and red leaf perfect. I doubt you’ll kill em, they grow fast and easy!!
And love Huey and his big stick, looks like one big smile :-)

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh     at 11:10 pm

Aww good luck with your herbs and lettuce! There is nothing better than fresh basil mmm mmmmmm

Emily E.     at 11:38 pm

I feel your pain, I am a plant killer, too… I love that stick, it is bigger than Huey!

Crystal     at 1:20 am

thanks for the google reader update. It is all better now :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

yay! :)

Annie@stronhealthyfit     at 5:59 am

Good luck with the plants! I’m not good at keeping things alive either- the only plant in my apt. is an orchid because it takes a lot to kill one of those! You only have to water it once a week :-) I want to get better at gardening, too.

Heather     at 7:51 am

Our basil has taken off this year. I can’t keep up with it, or use it fast enough! I hope yours does the same! :)

MA*     at 8:05 am

we grow lettuce in our garden and i would echo the sentiment of not letting it get too big. you will probably harvest little tiny heads of lettuce, but don’t be afraid to pick them early. if you let they get big the leaves get wilty and gross. pick early for crispness! also, don’t be afraid to “prune” lettuce — i pull a lot of single leaves off the outside.

basil is easy peasy, but for some reason lilly likes to eat the leaves right off the plant (and then her breath is amaaaaazing).

go huey! that is the biggest stick i have seen to date!

Andrea     at 8:29 am

I just found your blog and love it! I recently moved to MA to work on an organic farm. Your recipes are really inspiring! I love to cook and that is one of the reasons I decided to farm in the first place. Thanks for all the delicious recipes!!! Will you please come and cook for the field workers at Hutchins Farm???!!!!

Lauren     at 8:59 am

Good luck with the plants! This is my first year gardening.

As for the feed, when you first switched your blog over the feed was working fine in google reader. Then yesterday I noticed that it hadn’t been updated and came directly to the blog. Maybe that’s why some people are missing?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I know :( Hopefully everyone figures it out eventually – I don’t know what else to do! Good luck with your garden, too! :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:43 am

Don’t be shy about asking your farm friends for advice — you have a great resource right at your fingertips! Most types of lettuce do best as spring and fall crops. They don’t like heat. To give them a bit of a chance in the middle of summer, try to keep the pot in a semi-shaded spot. Once they get a little bigger, you can start harvesting outside leaves, leaving the rest of the plant to continue growing. Harvest lettuce early in the morning (before it’s hot and sunny), and it will taste better :) Enjoy your little garden!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

thank you for the tips!

Kelly     at 11:01 am

We are doing a vegetable garden for the first time this year and we’re so excited! I figured none of my plants would make it either, but they have! Having fresh basil is amazing :) I’m sort of stumped by my lettuce too though. I guess you have to harvest it before it gets too big or else it’s wilty :(

stacey     at 12:22 pm

Yea!!! You have solved the mystery on how to get your posts back in my reader. I was missing them:)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

yay – welcome back!

Emilyeatsclean     at 9:25 pm

The dog pic with the jumbo stick is hilarious! :)