A (Raw) Vegan Gourmet Feast.

Ahhhhhhh I made it!  I survived the 15 hour work day and lived to tell my story.  :)  I am even being a super dedicated blogger and staying up until 1am just to share it all with you guys.

I got to work bright and early this morning, around 8:30am, and met up with Hollace – the invited guest Chef for this week’s dinner.  We did a few hours of prep work yesterday, but we still had a lot to get done for the dinner – we had 50 guests to feed and just to two of us cooking!

We bought in an extra table, which made a HUGE difference this time around.  The last time I helped with the Farm to Table Dinner, it was a little chaotic, so I was determined to help us stay more organized this time.  Lucky for me, Hollace was a total rockstar, and we worked really well together – both clean-as-you-go types!

We worked on prepping, chopping, mixing – getting everything read to go, so that by the time dinner time came, all we would have to focus on was plating and cleaning.  We had so much FUN cooking all day long – blaring music and singing together to Sting, the Dixie Chicks, Guns N Roses, and Eminem.  :)

The menu for this dinner was completely vegan, and almost entirely raw.  A few things were cooked, but for the most part it was totally raw and natural – so cool.  She showed me how to make a raw vegan cheese using NUTS!

Check out that texture – doesn’t it look like ricotta?  It looked and tasted like cheese – amazing!

The raw raviolis were one of my biggest projects of the day.  I started by slicing turnips very thinly on a sharp mandolin…

Then a placed a blob of raw nut cheese in the middle of each turnip slice…

And folded it over to form a raw ravioli!  I wish I could feed these to each and every one of you – words don’t do them justice.  Definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever made.

Raw turnip filled with nut cheese goodness…

Gooey inside filling – to die for…

Good thing I liked these so much, because I had to make 250 of them all by myself – gulp.

Once I finished those, I moved on to the chickpea cakes.

I got a sauté station set up, and went to work browning the chickpea cakes on both sides in a little bit of olive oil.

Due to limited stove space, I could only do a few at a time.  Did I mention we had record heat in Charlotte today?  Temperatures reaching 100 degrees – you can imagine what it felt like in a small enclosed kitchen, standing over hot sauté pans all afternoon.

One hundred ten chickpea cakes later, and I was done.  :)

With everything else prepped and ready to go, we spent the last few hours washing vegetables and fruit, laying out plates, and getting ready for the craziness of dinnertime to arrive.  Check out these blueberries that the farm guys brought us for our dessert plates – picked straight off the trees.

Seriously – is there a more beautiful food?

The guests arrived and it was GO time!  While Hollace did her cooking demo, it was up to me to plate and garnish all 50 dishes.  Many thanks to the servers who held things for me and listening to me barking orders while I tried to get it all done.

First course – chilled cucumber, avocado, and fennel soup, garnished with a swirl of agave nectar and fresh dill.

This soup was amaaaaaaaazing.  So creamy and smooth and delicious.  And it was just what the guests needed, since they were all dying of heatstroke under the plastic tent in 100 degree temps.

I raced around like a mad woman to get all 50 filled, garnished, and ready by the time Hollace finished her demo.

Second course – chickpea cakes with piccata caper sauce, and nut cheese raviolis with homemade pesto.

The chickpea cakes were a combination of actual chickpeas and chickpea flour.  I can’t wait to try to recreate these at home.

And of course, my famous raw raviolis – dressed in delicious fresh pesto and a sprig of parsley.

While the guests were listening to a guest lecturer in the pool house living room, we took a break to step outside and pose with our lovely masterpiece dinner.  Here is the amazing Hollace with course number two!

And yours truly, with a head full of frizz.  :/  (Can we talk about how hot that chef’s coat was in 100 degrees?  Kill me!)

Plated and ready to go!

As soon as the second course left the table, we got to work on course #3 – the salad.  We heated up our g
reen beans and roasted potatoes…

And got to work on plating.  It went much faster with the two of us working on it together this time, because there was no demo for the salad course.

Third course – arugula and red fire salad with carson beans, pontiac potatoes, fresh tomatoes, and kalamata olives in a rosemary vinaigrette.

Last but certainly not least – DESSERT!  Thanks to Angie, I got a couple of action photos of the plating…

Don’t disturb the artist.  :)

Fourth course – (are you ready for this??)  chocolate torte with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate sauce.  But wait for the best part – it’s all raw, and all vegan.  Yes – vegan ice cream and cake.  I have died and gone to heaven!

The torte was made with dates, cacao powder, and walnuts, and the ice cream was made with coconut meat, agave, and almond milk.  Quite possibly some of the best food I’ve ever eaten.

We had just enough desserts for myself, Hollace, and the four servers to stuff our faces in the kitchen after the plates went out to guests.  Thank goodness there weren’t any extra, or I fear I would have eaten at least ten.

Today was insanely long and so intense.  My feet are killing me and I’ve been awake for almost 20 hours.  But tonight was one of the most fun and interesting things I’ve done since I began this culinary journey here in Charlotte.  I really hope I get the chance to work with Hollace again, as she reaffirmed to me that I definitely want to explore the world of professional vegan cuisine.  I love that this type of food can be so simple, but still be so gourmet and surprising!

Hoping for four short hours of sleep before my alarm goes off and my next adventure starts.  Even though I love sleep, I love the beach more – so I’m forcing myself out of bed bright and early in order to be on the sandy shore of Hilton Head Island as soon as possible!

See you tomorrow from the East Coast!!  :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 1:53 am

I don’t know how you do it all! Don’t forget to take care of yourself ; ) I know you probably do.

Can we talk about how grand that soup looks?!

Jenna     at 2:44 am

Wow, you have such an amazing job! I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now, but this is the first time I’m commenting! :D

The ravioli looked perfect. I can’t believe it was turnip! You’re probably not allowed to spill the nut cheese ingredients, but could you maybe give a few hints? :) they were macadamias, right?

I definitely want to try and recreate a similar vegan/almost raw dinner for my family. and surprise them big time with all the flavors! Thankyou so much for all this inspiration! :D

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

yes – turnip, you are correct! nut cheese = macadamia (correct again!), pine nuts, walnuts, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, and liquid aminos. :)

Jen O     at 7:34 am

Love, love, love this post! That meal looked amazing and I wish I could taste it myself. I can’t believe you were able to stay awake after that long, hot day to post a recap, but I do appreciate it. Have a good time at the beach!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 7:55 am

Isn’t food amazing! I think so many people forget that it is not all about butter, meat and junk food. This was a great post! I am glad you are having fun. Have a great trip!

Heather     at 8:02 am

So super cool (well, HOT in your case!). :)
Have fun at the beach!!!

Lauren     at 8:22 am

I’m incredibly inspired by this dinner. Raw foods fascinate me! I can’t wait to experiment with some of the things you’ve shown in this post!

Boots     at 8:43 am

I think the turnip ravioli just made it on the DLO 4th menu list.
Yum.
Amazing food and amazing pictures, way to go lady!

MA* Reply:

100% correct. Turnip ravioli and roasted carrots, yummmmm. After our visit I am going to blog about being fed by a celebrity healthy chef :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahaha you are hilarious :)

Andrea     at 9:03 am

That looks amazing!!! I work on an organic farm in MA, and would love for you to come cook for the farm crew at Hutchins Farm!!! Please!!!! That whole meal looked absolutely amazing and beautiful! Way to go!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

oh wow – i would love to come cook! talk to your boss :)

carole     at 9:23 am

keep blogging! The food you are creating at your summer job is so inspiring. I am learning alot! It must be a great experience. Keep sharing and have a well deserved great time at Hilton Head!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

so glad you are learning! thanks for reading :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:46 am

Beautiful! When can I come to dinner?

I did a little raw food “experiment” using long strips of raw zucchini (created with a vegetable peeler) as noodles the other night. I mixed the zucchini “noodles” with some whole wheat angel hair, and topped the whole thing with homemade pesto. Maybe next time I’ll try it with just the zucchini. I also want to try making a nut cheese with cashews — great inspiration here!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

i love doing the zucchini noodles! YUM!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

haha you are welcome any time! let me know if you are in charlotte! :)

Therese     at 10:04 am

Congrats on getting through the day, looks like you did an AMAZING job! You deserve a nice break! Enjoy it!!!

Reese     at 10:23 am

You HAVE to re-create some of these and post recipes! Or… a guest blog post in your future from the chef?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

i will try to re-create them soon! :)

Ana     at 10:45 am

Wow, what an awesome menu Emily! I would have loved to try all those dishes. I hope you post the recipes sometime!!
I am really enjoying reading about your experience at the farm, awesome!
Ana

jamie @ jamelafamela     at 11:10 am

This food looks incredible- I am considering becoming a vegan every day…after seeing this I REALLY want to- such fresh and flavorful food! I wish I had your job :)

Blueberries, and all fruits and vegetables for that matter, are so beautiful. Nothing as pretty.

Cellar Mouse     at 11:19 am

I love this post! It is so inspiring. I want to try the raw raviolis so bad. Were they warmed at all to soften the turnip slice?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

not warmed, but the turnips were soaked in water for about an hour before we made them.

Sarah R     at 11:37 am

Wow! What an amazing dinner you put together. Have a wonderful time at the beach and safe travels!

Summer     at 11:37 am

Drool…those raviolis look uh-maze-ing. I want them. In my mouth.

Kamaile     at 11:53 am

Everything looks so good!

Emily     at 12:25 pm

This was SUCH a fun post to read–thanks for staying up to write it!!!

Lauren     at 2:16 pm

Wow, Emily! What a gorgeous and amazing looking meal! I think that it is really neat how this internship is giving you a chance to use the skills you learned in culinary school to make food that is more along the lines of what you typically eat. I’m really happy for you! Enjoy your time in Hilton Head this weekend–you more than deserve it!

thank you! :)

Sara @ Our Private Kitchen     at 3:15 pm

Wow, what a great post. Totally dispelled the belief that eating vegan is boring and tasteless! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the raw vegan ‘cheese’? It looked fabulous! Have a great vacation; you deserve it! :-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I don’t have an exact recipe, but it was basically walnuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, and liquid aminos all mixed up in a food processor – SO good!

Katie     at 3:55 pm

That dinner looks AMAZING! And just made me suuper hungry. Enjoy HH…wish we could come, but I’m slammed at work right now. Keep your fingers crossed for us to make the trip next year!

Theresa O'Brien     at 6:03 pm

Your job is seriously amazing! I am dying to try some of that raw nut cheese and recreate those ravioli! Pretty much I just wanted to eat my computer screen when I saw the dinner you made last night!

Karen     at 6:32 pm

Wow…you are one talented, energetic chef, Emily!

What a wonderful learning experience you landed. Clearly, based on your efforts last evening, the opportunity is well-deserved.

I’m dying to recreate that lovely green soup – any chance of sharing more details re. the recipe?

Many thanks!
Karen

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Soup was cucumber, fennel, avocado, lemon juice – all blended up in the vita mix!

kATH     at 8:17 pm

This dinner was perfect for you!!!

(PS. So thankful for the WordPress comment blank, per usual :) )

Jennie     at 8:23 pm

Oh my gosh! All of that sounds and looks amazing! And it was all vegan to boot, wonderful!

Pure2raw twins     at 8:58 pm

Love all the vegan raw food!! The ravioli looks great! Glad you had such a great time making all the food, but yes it can be exhausting.

Rachel     at 8:00 am

I especially love the soup! Have you ever talked to Sarma at Pure Food and Wine (NYC)? Or read her books? I think you’d like her take on raw/vegan+gourmet.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I haven’t but I will check it out – thanks!

Maryann     at 2:37 pm

Please please can we have these recipes.
I’m poor at cooking, etc and would LOVE these they look delicious and I might be able to do it if you help.
Have a good vacation and wear sunscreen and use an unbrella for cover.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I will try to re-make them at home and post recipes. :)

anne     at 12:29 am

Hi there! I just found your blog today, and absolutely love your enthusiasm and healthy lifestyle. This vegan feast looks so amazingly delicious, you girls did a great job creating the dinner and making it look beautiful :) lucky guests!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

anne – welcome welcome! thank you :)

Marika     at 4:42 am

Wow, I would love to be able to try some of that raw vegan food! Especially the ravioli and the chocolate torte. They look just amazing.

AngelaOSG     at 2:29 pm

Oh my gosh I am in total and complete awe!

Do you happen to have the recipe for the fennel soup?

Fennel soup was:

5 md. cucumbers
3 md. fennel bulbs
2 tbsp fresh dill
1 lemon (juiced)
2 avocados
2 tbsp Pernod (anise liquor)

All blended up in a Vitamix and seasoned with S&P! So simple but soooooo goooooooood. :)

Cindy     at 1:46 pm

Wow, Emily, I just stared at the computer screen with an open mouth just reading, and looking at the pics. They look amazing, and although I’m not vegan, I would eat any of these any day ;) Maybe I will try some vegan gormet dishes soon! Did you check out the awesome backdrop in the pic of Hollace plating the salad? The moon looks awesome. :)

katie@Impatientlyprayingforpatience     at 7:28 pm

I just ate at a cute little place called raw this weekend where I had vegan ravioli. I am in LOVE! So I got home and googled it which brought me to your site! Is there any way I can get the recipe for the vegan nut cheese you used for the ravioli. I saw where you share what the ingredients are but I am NOT a chef by any stretch of the imagination so I would actually need instructions. Well actually if you could some to my house and show me personnally that would be best but we now that can’t happen so I am asking for the second best..the recipe. Thanks!