Adventures in Ethiopian Cuisine.

Went to a KILLER hot yoga class this morning (with Casey again!), and seriously thought I was going to pass out.  When it is 95 degrees outside, the yoga studio feels like 120 – insanity.  But I always feel so cleansed and relaxed when it is over.  Oooooooooooooohm.  :)

Afterwards, we showered and headed out for our new favorite weekend activity – coffee shop work days!  For some reason I am much more productive outside of my house.  I think it might have something to do with two furry distractions.

We went to our favorite little Dilworth coffee shop down in Matthews, and I caught up on lots of back email and blog stuff.  (Hello bra strap – whoops!)

Matthews also has the BEST old timey hardware store I have ever been to – it feels like you walk in the door and get transported back to the 1960’s.  Ever since I got the big ball jars for our grains, I’ve been dying to buy more for the rest of our bulk goodies.  But I was telling myself that I needed to wait until we move so that we wouldn’t have to move a bunch of glass jars.  Practicality lost the battle today, and I bought 12 pint jars and 12 half-pint jars to organize the rest of our messy pantry.

As much as I love shopping in bulk, it has been driving me crazy to have a sloppy, disorganized pantry with bags of nuts and seeds everywhere.

We got home and I immediately got to work, pulling out bags and dumping them into the jars.

Things looked soooo much better immediately, and I’m also glad to know that my things will stay fresher now that they are in tightly closed glass jars.

Dried fruit, pepitas, sesame seeds, shelled hemp seeds, red lentils, green lentils, walnuts, almonds…

Me and my bounty – so happy to feel organized.

Check out that pantry NOW!  Unrecognizable!

I left my beautiful pantry behind to head uptown for our favorite type of food – Ethiopian!  Casey and I never go out to eat, but Mesekerem is one of the few places we have been to on multiple occasions.  We love all type of ethnic food, but Ethiopian is hands down the favorite.

I knew Kath had never had Ethiopian food before, and since Matt is a baker, I thought he would be intrigued by the spongy injera bread.  We invited them to join u
s for a fun Saturday night double date.

IMG_5366640x427_thumb

IMG_5365640x427_thumb

I got the same thing I always get – the vegetarian sampler.  It comes with a giant piece of injera and six types of veggie goodness for sampling, mmmm.

The veggie sampler included two types of spicy lentils (my favorites), a split chickpea dish, carrots and green beans, cabbage and potatoes, and tangy collard greens.

To me, the best part about Ethiopian food is the INJERA!  It is a spongy sour-tasting “bread”, that is more like a light chewy pancake.  It looks like a dishtowel, smells like a hot dog, and tastes absolutely DELICIOUS!

Casey and I actually tried to make these at home, but we had the wrong ratio of teff flour to water so it didn’t work.  We will definitely try again as soon as we buy more teff!

It was a really fun night out with friends.  I’m starting to feel very sentimental and nostalgic about Charlotte now that moving time draws closer and closer.  While this city may not ultimately be the best long term match for us, we’ve made some great friends and had a truly life-changing year here.

Sniff…I hate when things come to an end.  I think that once we have the next step of our lives planned out, and I have a better sense of what I’m doing job-wise I will feel a lot better.  We’re heading out of town next weekend to go explore what will hopefully be our new hometown – stay tuned!  :)

Jen     at 8:46 am

I have serious pantry envy! It looks awesome!

Moving is always so bittersweet :( I’m sure everything will work out for you guys!

Emily     at 10:58 am

Your pantry looks great! I’ve loved slowly reusing glass jars from old spaghetti sauce, etc. The coolest part is that I can now take my jars to Whole Foods to refill them (they weigh they so I don’t pay for the container) so I can skip the plastic bags completely!

Can’t wait to hear about your new home….we are looking for a new place to live in Denver. Our landlord is selling our house. We’re getting so nervous b/c we haven’t found anything yet and we have to move out July 1! I wish you luck on your search for a new hometown. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That’s a great idea! I hate dealing with the bags anyways. Finding a new place is so stressful, but once you find it it is so FUN!

Amy     at 12:25 pm

I adore ethiopian food and wish there was one closer to me in my Connecticut town. And thanks for the much-needed pantry inspiration!

Dorry     at 1:00 pm

Between you and Kath’s posts, I’m determined to find a good Ethiopian restaurant in Dallas! Uncertainty about the future an be unsettling at times but it’s also so exciting to think about all the possibilities ahead!

Emilyeatsclean     at 1:35 pm

Ohh ohh ohhhhh you’re pantry reorganization makes me want to work on my own cabinets!! Your dinner looks delicious!

Heather     at 2:37 pm

I’ve never tried Ethiopian food before. Very intriguing!
I need to hire you to come organize my cupboards!! :)

Adrianne     at 4:22 pm

I sampled some Ethiopian food at the Farmer’s Market, but now am curious about checking out one of our local Ethiopian restaurants!

SentimentsbyDenise     at 7:10 pm

Your pantry looks great with the jars! I’ve been doing the same thing – only picking up mason jars at yard sales here and there. I have a DYMO letratag labeler so I can label everything.
When moving, just put jars into a cardboard box and weave bubble wrap around them to protect and keep them from touching. Works like a charm!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I would be so out of control with a labeler. :)

betsy     at 8:38 am

wondering if you’re making the move back to OH & so inspired to a) find a local ethopian restaurant and b) buy some of those bell jars & fill’r up!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Sadly not headed back to OH, even though I really miss my family. We’re headed east – to Washington, DC!

Do you live in Cincinnati? There is a fabulous Ethiopian place in Pleasant Ridge called Emanu that we LOVE.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 10:37 am

Your previous pantry post inspired me to start switching to glass. As the other Emily mentioned here, I re-purposed a lot of old glass jars from other foods for the pantry. I’m not all the way there, but it’s looking better!

Meskerem looked so familiar — turns out the one here (in St. Louis) is part of a very small chain (not really a “chain” in my book) that includes the one in Charlotte — small world. We also had a failed experiment in making injera (twice). Please, please let me know if you figure it out. I did succeed at creating decent replicas of some of the Ethiopian food. I’ll try to post recipes soon :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh wow – I had no idea it was a (tiny) chain – how cool! We are going to try injera again, and I will definitley post if it works this time – no worries!

The glass jars make me really happy. :)

jenn     at 9:24 pm

Where is your black dress from?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Old Navy, and i JUST bought it last weekend – probably still there. Only $20!

Theresa     at 1:48 pm

Hi Emily,

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now (found it via Kath’s blog) and just saw that you’re moving to DC. Congratulations!

I moved to the DC area about 4 years ago and I know how scary it can be to move to a new place, especially somewhere as big as DC. If there’s anything I can help with during your transition (answering questions about the area, etc), please let me know. Once you’re settled in, it’d be great to meet for coffee, etc!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

thank you so much, and i would LOVE to meet for coffee!

chia fluff cold oats « kristen, sweetly     at 9:38 pm

[...] for any time i’ve spent in the kitchen ever. thanks, emily for all your adorable posts on these!  i got teased a bit at work for my first lunch ‘oatmeal in a ball jar,’ but they are [...]