Cooking CSA Sample Recipes.

Yesterday was a fun day of COOKING and playing in the field!  On Wednesdays, the CSA customers come to the farm to pick up their produce, so the bulk of the morning is spent harvesting and gathering all of the fresh veggies for their bins.  When I got to work, I took a walk through the fields to see what was growing and ripening.

I made my way up the hill and walked into the red shed to discover a wheelbarrow filled with BEETS – yum!

And another filled with fennel – SO much fennel!

Endless rows of savoy cabbage…

Tubs of gigantic cucumbers

And a big basket of Swiss chard!  I wanted to eat it ALL!  :)

But I didn’t eat any – just took a basket of what I needed to prepare that day’s recipes.

And on my way back to the kitchen, I stopped to grab some fresh herbs straight out of the ground.  Tons of ROSEMARY!

This entire row by the pool house is ALL herbs!

I took my bounty back to the kitchen and got started.

Each week, the CSA members get a newsletter outlining what will be in their produce bins, along with two corresponding recipes to match the produce list.  A lot of times, members will say they don’t know what to do with some of the more unique or lesser-known items, so our hope was to offer some guidance by providing recipes.

To enhance the recipes, one of my assigned tasks as the Culinary Intern is to actually prepare the weekly CSA recipes, and have samples available to the members when they pick up their produce bins.  So yesterday I grabbed my newsletter and got started.

I de-cored and chopped up a LOT of fennel (one of my favorite vegetables!).

This was my first time using FRESH garlic!  I have only ever used cured garlic, like what you find in the grocery store – but this was pulled straight out of the ground.  The flavor and texture were the same, but I found that is was a lot more powerful.  My hands smelled like garlic the rest of the day!

The big harvest item this week was BEANS – green beans and yellow wax beans.  You guys will be seeing a lot more beans in the next few days.  :)

IMG_7003 (640x479) IMG_7005 (640x479)

I started by trimming all of the ends off, and washing them thoroughly.  Produce that comes straight from the ground is a lot dirtier than what you get in the grocery store!

Next, I dropped them into boiling water in small batches – blanching them for 5 minutes until just tender.

Once the beans were finished, I chopped up my fragrant fresh rosemary – quite possibly my favorite herb.

I sautéed my fennel with a bit of the minced green garlic…

And attempted to take pictures of myself cooking…

Mixed up the rosemary with minced garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice…

And then I tossed in the beans!  Sprinkled some toasted almonds on top and voila – delicious green bean salad.

This recipe was a HIT!  The CSA customers loved it, and they were all so excited to know that they had all the ingredients in their weekly produce bins.  Casey and I gobbled up all the leftovers when I got home – definitely a recipe to make again.

The other dish I prepared was sautéed fennel with garlic and parsley.  This dish also turned out great, and I was really glad we chose to feature a fennel dish.  So many CSA members commented that they didn’t know what to do with their fennel.

Mmmmmm, licorice…

My first CSA sampling week went really well – I’m excited to do it again now that I got my first week jitters out of the way.  Lots more cooking today and tomorrow – so fun!

And now I’m off to a meeting about a possible fun new blog venture – crossing fingers!

Pure2raw twins     at 7:02 pm

I would go crazy with all that fresh produce! Looks like you fun in the kitchen. I love fennel!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 7:30 pm

That sounds like a fun day! I tried fennel once before and I just don’t like it. I want to, but I can’t get into it. Glad you are having fun!

stacey     at 7:38 pm

I love reading about your internship. It sounds like such a great opportunity. I wish that I could trade places with you! Interested in going back to life in a cubicle:)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

haha NO! been there done that – lasted six years. :)

beth     at 8:06 pm

I did an internship on a CSA farm for my undergrad in environmental science so reading this is cool. the garlic was all rigged up to cure in the living room of the main house, it was awesome! floor to ceiling.

Heather     at 8:20 pm

That row of herbs is fantastic! And I love how GREEN everything is!! You are a very lucky girl. :)

SentimentsbyDenise     at 8:56 pm

Great idea – featuring recipes for CSA customers! I get a CSA delivery every other week and really enjoy the different and “new” to me items I find. Your blog postings, like this one, will be so helpful! Thanks!

Chelsey     at 9:03 pm

I would be so happy working at the farm every day! I love seeing fresh produce – it is so pretty! I just used uncured garlic last night for the first time. I bought it at a farmer’s market earlier in the week. Were your cloves GIGANTIC? Mine were huge!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES! HUGE garlic! Love it :)

Emilyeatsclean     at 9:19 pm

I’m new to your blog…..I love your story about quiting your professional career and making a change into the culinary world!! All these veggies look delicious!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Welcome to the blog! It’s been a crazy year, but definitely in a good way. :)

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales     at 6:00 am

What a great internship to have! Just started reading your blog and love it! Very helpful

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

welcome to the blog! :)

Colleen     at 9:05 am

Yumo!! The bean recipe reminds me of one from Clean Food that uses green beans, fingerling potatoes, and then an herb (dill)/lemon mixture! I made it last weekend and it was DELICIOUS!!

What do you do with the rest of the fennel? Did you compost that or do you save it for other recipes? Thanks for sharing!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

mmmmm that sounds good – maybe i will try that next week. i HATE throwing the fennel tops away – feels like such a waste, you know? but most of it does go to compost – i try to chop up as much as possible and use it to garnish other dishes. it doesn’t save very well. :(

ARPL     at 10:42 am

I stumbled upon your site via Kath and read from start to finish. I really enjoy your posts – you set a good example for healthy livin! FYI, I’m reading all the way from Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

awesome! thanks for joining! :)

Katie     at 12:56 pm

Thank you! I never know what to do with green beans. They aren’t my fave, but every once in a while I crave them…this will be something yummy and different to try.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 1:17 pm

We have some beautiful green beans from the farmer’s market, and your simple recipe might be just the thing for them tonight. Thanks for the recipe.

Lauren     at 2:18 pm

to get the garlic (and I’m pretty sure it works with onion too) smell off of your hands, just rub your hands completely on something stainless steel! I usually use a big bowl :] I learned this trick from Rachael Ray and it works every time!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

awesome – thanks! I will try this next time :)

Project EHC: Eat Yo’ Veggies! « Food 4 Fitness     at 9:56 am

[...] Green Bean Salad by Emily from The Front Burner [...]

amy     at 10:38 pm

What a wonderful site fresh vegetable that is good for our health.. keep it up

drilling precious     at 1:28 am

I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for
me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.