For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Fall Race Plans & Rice Recovery Bowls.

Yesterday I decided to do something I haven’t really done since running the Flying Pig a little over one month ago – I went for a weekend long run.  This run started out just like any other – with my favorite fuel.

Gooey PB2 and jelly sandwiches, on two gluten-free rice cakes.

I didn’t really have a mileage or time goal, and really just wanted to see how my body felt after a month of resting, short runs, and lots of yoga and weight lifting.  Casey is on a training schedule, so he knew he would be running 13 miles – I figured I would head out to the trail with him and see what my legs felt like doing.  We took into consideration the 95+ degree temperature, and tried to dress and hydrate appropriately.

The shady parts of the trail (along the creek) were insanely humid, and the long stretches in full sun between the trees were nearly unbearable.  I keep telling myself that I will get used to running in this heat, but so far my inner-Ohio girl isn’t buying it.

One of my main goals for this next training schedule is to work on my SPEED!  I used to be faster than I am now, and after a crazy year of moving, school, and a bad lung infection, I’ve lost a little bit of the speed and endurance that I once had.  I’ve also been doing a lot of running with friends and with Casey recently, so I haven’t really pushed myself to just strap on an iPod and see what I could do.

So that is exactly what I decided to do yesterday – just me and the iPod, pounding along at a steady rhythm.  Right away I could tell that I was naturally running much faster than I do when I am jogging and talking.  Since I was focused on my run, and not on my conversation, my natural pace was hanging around the 8:25 mark –  MUCH faster than I have been running these past few months!  I ran 1.5 miles out, and turned around to head back for my water at the trailhead.  I wasn’t going to mess around in those kind of temperatures!  I ended up finishing my first 3 miles with an average page of 8:23, and I was totally pumped to be able run fast again, even if it was only for a few short miles.

From that point on, I did a little speed work mixed in with walking breaks – it was just too darn hot to run the whole time.  I met up with Casey for one mile, and forced myself to stay by his side and see if I could hang with him for a super fast mile – I almost gave up with .20 left to go, but I pushed it and clocked the mile at 7:58 – not bad.

Total distance covered – 9 hot and sweaty miles.  I think I ended up running more like 7, with 2ish miles of walking breaks in between.

I was dead tired and drenched in sweat by the end, but I was thrilled to be back to covering some higher mileage, and knowing that my inner speedster was still hiding in there somewhere.

2010-06-13 12.29.36

After the run, I was ravenous, and raced home to make some much needed recovery food.  After runs I am always craving a warm and gooey bowl of heavy carbs.

Notice anything strange about this bowl?  Look closer – that’s not oatmeal.  It’s RICE!  I have decided to stop being selfish and let you guys in on my latest secret concoction –rice, bananas, cinnamon, and almond milk.  Otherwise known as heaven in a bowl.

It’s kind of like a fun play on rice pudding!  I set the rice cooker to be ready when I get home from my run, so that all I have to do is cut up a banana and pour milk into the bowl – easy and delicious.

I’m also trying to pay better attention these days to my fuel and recovery nutrient ratios.  It’s important to get a good mix of carbs and protein after a workout, so I paired my banana rice bowl with an ice cold chocolate protein shake.

I sure hope that isn’t water!  :)

So why all this talk of running and training?  Well I have finally figured out my fall racing plans and gotten my latest training schedule together – hurrah!

I am going to be doing a 20-week training schedule combining running (speed work and tempo runs), weight lifting, and yoga – to see if I can get back into my best running shape.  On October 31st (Halloween!) I will be running my 6th full marathon in Washington, DC – the Marine Corps Marathon!

mcmlogo_web

You might remember when Casey ran this marathon last year, and I raced around the city as a spectator.  It was an amazing course, and I knew way back then that I wanted to get the chance to run it myself.  I missed the registration window back in the spring, but luckily Charlotte running guru Theoden hooked me up with a friend who is looking to transfer his registration – hurrah!

Also on my calendar – the Columbus Half Marathon on October 17th.  Casey’s brother is getting married in Columbus on October 16th, and it just so happens that the marathon (and half-marathon) are the next day.  We figured we’ll already been in town for it so…why not, right?  It also lined up perfectly with my training schedule, which slated me for running 12 miles that day.

Cbus Half Marathon

I’m just hoping my feet can hold up after being in my beautiful 4’’ bridesmaid heels the day before – eeeeek!  :)

Since I’m doing a long training schedule this time (20 weeks) training actually starts…today!  If you guys are interested, I can post the schedule itself too – it is a combination of Hal Higdon, Runner’s World, and Casey Malone.  :)

Is anyone else training for any fun fall races?  Any tips or tricks for training through this hot, hot summer?

irina     at 1:44 am

Great job – good luck with your training. I am training for Nike half in San Francisco. I did full twice, but this year I am taking it easy and doing only halves. I would love to see you training schedule – it is always great to get new ideas! I just signed up for 3 mo of power yoga (Baron Baptiste style) and would love to see how you are incorporating this in your training. Run like the wind :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I was supposed to run San Fran last year and bailed at the last minute. It is still on my list of runs down the road though – some day! :)

alexe @ soyaetchocolat     at 7:38 am

Hi Emily!
I’ve been reading your blog for more than half a year now but I think it’s my first time commenting. I’ve tried some of your recipes (love love love the black bean burger) and I’m really looking forward to some of your new creations too because I’m trying to eat as vegan as possible so your blog is a great inspiration.

I’ve participated in my first 5K and 10 K earlier this year and I’m now training for my first half marathon on August 29th in Quebec City. I’m way behind on the training though because I was on vacation for the last month. I hope I can catch up! I’ve never run more than 10 km… I have a question about hydratation and running. I have never been abble to run and drink at the same time. I bought a camelback last week because I know I’ll have to drink during longer races but I’m sure I’ll get side cramps again… Do you have any tricks for me? Unfortunately, I don’t have any suggestion about running in hot weather because it’s never really hot in Montreal. When it is, I just try to run in the morning or the evening.

By the way, I love the new design of your blog! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hydrating and running is still a constant struggle for me, that I’m working to figure out just like you! I bought a Camelbak but I don’t like it – too heavy and too much swishing. But others swear by it, so it might just be a personal issue, who knows.

My best advice is to just run short loops and loop back for a water bottle at your house or another spot – that’s what I do. I just plant bottles along my route and drink when I get to them. Back home I used to plan routes around public water fountains, but there don’t seem to be any here in Charlotte. Maybe in Quebec?

lauren     at 8:21 am

I should talk to Theoden about seeing if he has a hook-up for the Army 10 miler in DC – it capped at 30,000 racers in 24 hours.

My fall races are:
a few local 5ks
Salem Lake 30K trail race
Outer Banks 1/2
Thunder Road Marathon
(and Army 10 miler if we can get in!)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Send him an email or FB message – he seems to know everyone, so it’s worth a shot!

Good luck at Thunder Road! I ran it this past year – great course, freezing temps. :)

Melanie     at 9:57 am

Hi Emily, great blog! I had a question because I am training for a half marathon. Lik you, I need to get in the protein after a run, what kind of protein shakes do you drink? I usually have oatmeal or cereal with fruit and no protein….not good!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We use hemp protein powder (Bob’s Red Mill), and mix it up with a bunch of other vitamins and nutrients. I’m actually going to do a post this week about “how to make your own protein mix” – stay tuned! :)

Kamaile     at 10:27 am

I’m doing the Marine Corps Marathon too! My friends who have run it say it is the BEST marathon. This will be my 4th but my 1st with getting my metal at the end from a Marine!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

FUN! Looks like there are a few of us! We will have to do a fun lunch or dinner celebration and all get together :)

sirenjess     at 12:38 pm

Congrats on your upcoming race. I had signed up for Athen’s Marathon but won’t do it because of my job. I’m signed up for San Francisco marathon this July and maybe thinking about another fall marathon. I’m dying to qualify again for Boston and I want to run Big Sur next year.

I live in Texas and right now it sucks to run. The best advice I have is to pick your poison. Run early with higher humidity or run later with the less sun. I run early so that I don’t have the sun and humidity. I always hydrate like crazy. What did you put in that recovery smoothie?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Smoothie post coming up tomorrow! :)

Jess     at 3:02 pm

I’m running the Columbus marathon, too – it will be my first full! The humidity has been horrid here as well…

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome! We will need to plan a fun meetup for everyone – there are LOTS of us! :)

Courtney     at 8:46 pm

I am running the Columbus Half Marathon this year as well! I ran it a few years ago and had a great time although it was very cold. The route was crowded with spectators and the expo is okay (I still run in my t-shirt that comes in the grab bag).

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ohhh I hope it’s not cold this year! Crossing fingers…

Kristen     at 11:47 am

I recently discovered your blog through KERF and really enjoy your approach to running/nutrition. Like you, I much prefer to eat A LOT of fruit/veggies vs. a small portion of higher calorie eats. I was wondering what type of rice you use for your rice bowls. How much is your typical serving? Looks yummy…can’t wait to try it!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have done both white and brown long grain rice – this particular one was brown rice. I usually eat about 1 cup cooked – delicious! :)

jeff     at 1:02 pm

Since I can’t get in touch w/ you via text I figured I’d finally post again…

So cool you’re running the MC Marathon! Makes me a bit nostalgic. Might even load the girls in the car to root you and Casey on come October.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

first of all you are ridiculous -of course you can text me. i keep calling and your phone goes to voicemail – turn it ON! :)

you better come cheer – you can crash at our new place!

running shoes