I Eat Half Marathons for Breakfast.

We’ve been out of town for a few days, so our kitchen is barren.  I didn’t have my usual suspects of rice cakes or an English muffin available for breakfast, so I made my other favorite thing – homemade muesli

Oats and almond milk, topped with raisins, pepitas, and cacao nibs.

I wasn’t totally sure how this would do as a pre-run breakfast, but I didn’t really have any other options.  Either way – it tasted great!

Today I was scheduled to run 13 miles – a half-marathon!  It’s weird how when you’re training for a marathon, you basically run at least a half-marathon every weekend.  I wish I could find more real races to sign up for during training!  As of now, I’m running Columbus, and possibly another in Jacksonville with my friend Mary Ann.

Casey decided it was too hot to run, so he opted to do his run later in the day on the treadmill.  But hot or not, I was not going to plod along the t-mill for 13 miles – nooooo way.  Despite the heat, I headed to the trail, and Casey came with me so that while I ran he could get some work done in a coffee shop.  All geared up and ready to go!

Feels like 99 – no big deal, right?

Capture

Holy COW – it was HOT out there!

IMAG0011 (426x640)

Casey dropped me off and planned to come back in 2 hours to pick me up.  I was on my own out there!  One of the hardest things for me is figuring out how to successfully hydrate on runs during this extreme heat.  I have tried the Camelbak, and I’ve tried carrying water bottles – both make me feel sloshy and heavy.  The only thing I can do is plan my runs around water bottles and fountains, and do short loops to make sure I don’t go out too far.

The loops are tough on me mentally.  Typically if I’m running more than 10 miles, I like to run all the way out and back, so that there is no way I can cheat the distance.  But with the need for water, this just isn’t possible right now.  Having Casey drop me off was the next best thing.  Even if I felt like giving up, knowing I was out on that trail by myself for 2 hours, I might as well run, right?

I ran most of the time, but did stop to take some walking breaks because of the heat.  I decided that for now, long runs are going to have to be about distance and not pace – 100 degrees will slow anyone down!  I ran out and back to the 2 mile marker over and over again, coming back to the trail head each time for a LOT of water!  I was absolutely drenched in sweat and water – my clothes were sticking to me!

IMAG0013 (421x640)

It turns out that muesli is NOT a good pre-run breakfast.  Thank god for the emergency porta-potty.  I recovered around mile 2, and felt much better once my stomach got on board for the run.  Casey showed up when I had finished 11.5 miles, and he was nice enough to go run to a gas station for Gatorade so that I could finish.  It was really important to me that I get in all of my mileage and not cheat the distance.  Finally, after 13 insanely hot and sweaty miles, I reached the trailhead for the last time.

IMAG0012 (427x640)

I’m not gonna lie, it felt pretty great to bust out a half marathon before lunch time.  Even though there was no one cheering, and there was no medal at the finish line, I was on top of the world when I was finished.  I credit most of this run to sheer determination, a positive attitude, and a killer playlist.

Best motivators this morning:

• Eminem – ‘Til I Collapse
  • Glee – Don’t Stop Believing (the Journey to Regionals version)
  • Katy Perry – California Girls
  • Jason Aldean – The Truth

It is such a great feeling to have my run done for the day, and to know that I’m on track with my mileage for my marathon goal.  Here’s hoping I can stay positive as the temperatures continue to climb!

What are you favorite running songs?

Melissa     at 2:43 pm

You go girl! Nothing is stopping me from my running either. I did 6 on Thursday in 100* which broke a heat record for my area. I cranked it out like nobody’s business.
Last evening I did 14 and you are right—what an amazing feeling!!!
You definitely have what it takes to keep it up!
YAY for us!

Kristina     at 2:44 pm

wow, you are good! I love to run, but cannot run in that kind of heat… I wish I could… maybe if I knew I could jump in a cool pool after… :)

my favorite songs to run to are STILL any Beastie Boys song… :)

Ginna     at 3:13 pm

Love Katy Perry and that song! This southern heat is no joke, but nothing still compares to the Laredo heat. We’ll take the heat because we know fall and spring will be wonderful!

Jen     at 3:31 pm

What, no VAB Rock & Roll? The original plan was to train for a sub 2:00, but it’s already 100 in June, so who knows how hot it will be in September. I am trying to do the same as you– focus on distance, not time! But sometimes it’s tough to see the pace drop as the temp rises…. I run a 5 mile loop and stash bottles, I hate carrying. Sometimes my hubby runs with me and the Camelbak doesn’t bother him, so I get hydration on-demand and a good-looking running partner– does it get any better?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Actually I really want to do VAB, but it will most likely be our moving weekend. :( I’ve definitely stolen a few swigs off of Casey’s camelbak… :)

beth     at 3:32 pm

I did 13 in the mid-90s on Friday, so I can feel your pain and triumph! Sometimes I find it easier to think of my long runs in terms of time since the time is going to keep going by even if I’m a little slower; it works out okay because by the time you’ve slogged through 2 or 3+ hours, you can take another 5-10 minutes to hit the real mileage goal if necessary.

I am motivating myself by thinking how awesome fall marathon weather is going to be!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

ME TOO! especially once we move out of the south! :)

Katy     at 3:34 pm

Wow. I cannot believe you ran 13 miles in that kind of heat. I had to stop for water in 64 degree weather last week and I haven’t ran all week because it was nearer to 75 and I was just too hot. You make me feel like I’ve wasted a whole week now and I should have just ran!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

haha, i would give anything for 75 degrees right now! where do you live that it is that cool in june? im jealous!

Katy Reply:

I’m in England. To be honest, 75 is the best weather we’ve had for ages! We’re actually having a proper summer this year! Its a good job considering winter was around 17 degrees and heavy snow. England doesn’t usually have proper seasons but we’re getting it all this year!

adrienmelaine     at 3:44 pm

California Girls is at the top of my list for running songs. I can hit repeat over and over again on that one!

I also love Calvin Harris, Roisin Murphy, Black Eyed Peas, Team Canada DJs and Girltalk (check their myspace you can download an album for free!).

Great work on the run- Your run program is pretty rough right off the rattle, hope the body adjusts quickly!

MA* Reply:

girltalk is amazing. this guy gregg is a GENIUS. the other great thing is, he is all about free media share. so, i will burn some of his stuff for you :)

Help Meghan Run     at 3:45 pm

Congrats! I’m from Texas, so I totally feel ya on the heat thing. It sucks. :) As for running songs, I also love the California Girls song, as well as anything Glee! (In fact, I may or may not have a running playlist composed solely of Glee songs…)

MA*     at 3:49 pm

obviously i consistently provide you with ideal training mixes, so i don’t need to share with you my favorite running jams ;) i am hoping to have a new mix for you this weekend!

what do you think about pace and heat? it has been over 100 here every day, and i am trying to train for a 10:30 half pace, but my pace drops by 35-45 seconds when temps get over 90. otherwise i am dead after mile 1.

talk about mental challenges — i consistently run by myself in a neighborhood with no sidewalks — i run a ONE mile loop and leave my water at the end of my driveway. i really aggravate all the dogs on my street :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

thank god for your running mixes – they got me through my run! :)

pace + heat = SLOW DOWN. try to do shorter runs faster, and longer runs should just be focused on mileage, not time.

Annie     at 4:35 pm

Goodness gracious. I don’t think I could run in that heat. Out of curiosity, where do you usually buy your running clothes? All my clothes feel so clingy in the heat. Could you do a post on your favorite running gear (if you haven’t already)?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Actually, I am definitely planning to do a post on that SOON! But in the meantime… I actually get most of my running stuff at Old Navy. I have found that the expensive stuff is usually bulky and uncomfortable!

Allie     at 5:32 pm

I have a real problem with water too- camelbacks and bottles really bog me down and i jsut can’t get used to them. i am training for a november marathon now (with you plan with some tweaks!!). i plan all my runs around water fountains and always plan to hit a store at 9 or 10 miles. it isn’t the best- but it’s worked allright so far. i would love to hear some other suggestions, because i feel like this is really holding me back and i need to learn to hydrate during the race.

Marianne in Auburn     at 6:05 pm

I hear ya!! I ran 12.5 miles yesterday in Alabama and looked exactly like you did…soaking wet with clothes sticking in places they shouldn’t be!! My shoes were actually squishy with sweat. I ran with my newly acquired camelbak and ended up with lovely chafed spots on my back and shoulders. Fun stuff! But it was great to have it all done before lunch when I headed out to go blueberry picking at my local CSA farm and ended up eating my weight in blueberries and two gallon tubs!!…and proceeded to get drenched in sweat again. Got to love the southern summers!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YUM! Love blueberries. My shoes were squishy too :) They are currently set out on my front porch to dry!

Daniel     at 7:03 pm

Wow, nice job! I’d love to be able to run a half-marathon sometime in my life. I’ll work up to it eventually but I’m still recovering from an exercise addiction so none of that for me now.

As for running songs, it doesn’t seem like I have the same music in mind for running as you but a few of the ones that get me sprinting the last stretch would be:
Paperthin Hymn – Anberlin
Slither – Velvet Revolver
Blow – Atreyu
Collapse – Saosin

Good music is always such a help to keep you going. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

it’s good that you know your limits. congrats to you for facing the problem! :)

kATH     at 7:25 pm

Wish I could have ran it with you!!!

I am revived now and willing to tackle 7 miles whenever you are!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

me too! i miss my running partner.

Brynne     at 8:03 pm

I can’t believe you ran that far in such bad heat! You’re seriously amazing!

thank you! :)

Rachel     at 8:24 pm

yay! so glad you did it all, this makes me happy. I got up at 5:30am to beat the heat for my 12 miles here in new york yesterday–then went back to sleep at 10am. it was a fabulous compromise.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

that is awesome! post-run naps are the best.

Jen     at 8:30 pm

You are SO awesome for doing a 1/2 in this heat. Go you! Do you feel like you’re getting used to the heat? If so, please share your secrets with me!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

absolutely NOT getting used to it, but determined not to let mother nature win. im just sloooooooowing down. a lot. :/

Katiegirl     at 9:11 pm

WOW good job for running that distance in that extreme heat. I couldnt do it!! My runs start at 4:00 AM on the weekdays and 6:30 AM on the weekends to avoid extreme heat.

Fav running songs:
You Can’t Stop The Beat-Hairspray Soundtrack, I’ve Got a Feeling-BEP, Moving On-The Rankin Family, Feel The Same Way Too-The Rankin Family, Welcome to the 60′s-Hairspray Soundtrack, I’m Walking on Sunshine, Say Hey (I Love You)-Michael Franti and Spearhead.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

wow – i’m a morning person, but 4am is too early, even for me!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 9:25 pm

Wow, you are tough out there! I don’t know if I would brave that heat. I don’t run with an iPod anymore- I stopped when mine died and I couldn’t afford to replace it, and just got used to running sans headphones. I feel a lot safer without them anyway, and I find that I can think more clearly. Music definitely helps with motivation sometimes, though.

Ashley     at 9:30 pm

Dang girl…you rocked it. That breakfast would have had me running for the bathroom too!! I think we have the same funny running stomach!

Anne     at 9:59 pm

Geez, girl, you are a ROCK-STAR!!! I completely wussed out today because of the heat. Thankfully it’s going to be “cooler” later this week. Ha!
Most of my running songs are old school metal, but I do have some newer stuff mixed in. The last few days I’m loving:
Motley Crue – Kickstart My Heart
Metallica – Enter Sandman
Sixx A.M. – Life is Beautiful
Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
Little Boots – Earthquake

Chelsey     at 10:15 pm

Wow! Way to go! Sorry the muesli didn’t work out well for you. It’s a good thing you figured it out now, rather than on a race day!

If I listen to any music at all, I need something upbeat! Most of the time though, I get frustrated with my play list, so I just leave the iPod at home – I like to think while I run!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I try to AVOID thinking while I run, because I just end up thinking about how much I want to stop running! :)

Emilyeatsclean     at 11:12 pm

Ohhh geez on that heat!! Way to go girl!

Marika     at 5:15 am

One of my favorite running songs at the moment is Kelly Clarkson’s “My Life Would Suck Without You”. I also love it when pretty much anything by Robbie Williams or Lady Gaga comes on the iPod :-).

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

i totally have that song on my running list. last year i did a 19 mile treadmill run listening to nothing but that kelly clarkson album. SO GOOD! i also love “addicted”. :)

Em     at 9:35 am

Any “Glee” song is my favorite!

R @ learningasichop.wordpress.com     at 10:02 am

Wow, good for you! A friend wears this little utility belt with some small water bottles around her waste. Maybe something to try?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

too sloshy – same as the camelbak. thank you though! :)

sirenjess     at 10:40 am

I love that Glee song and the show. Good for you getting your run in and dealing with that heat. I can’t help but read your post and yell at the screen “run earlier”. But you did an awesome job. I ran 17 miles last Thursday and did three stupid things. Number one: I did total conditioning the day before running 17 miles. This class is strength work and plyometrics mixed together. So my butt was really sore.Number two: tried a new breakfast=three stops at bathroom. Number three: tight IT band on left side. At mile 16.5 the side of my knee gave me hella pain and so I had to stop. So right now my IT band is still acting up. I’m sad. But happy your run was awesome.And could you post that chocolate protein recovery shake you had a couple weeks ago.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

i know i KNOW! i meant to run earlier, i really did. but honestly – i walked the dogs at 8am today and it was already close to 90s. its not the heat, its the humidity that’s killing me. i forgot about the shake recipe – sorry! i am writing a post about “how to build your own protein powder” as we speak!

sassy molassy     at 1:05 am

Holy moly, girl. I can’t even imagine running in 99 deg temps. Looks like you jumped into a swimming pool. ;)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

i WISH there had been a swimming pool at the end! :)

Jacqueline misch     at 4:26 pm

I just did my first half marathon this weekend at disney! My time was 2:26… Your blog is a huge motivator for me so thanks for giving us all a sneak peek into your life as a chef, mom and runner! My husband is vegan so he follows you on Facebook and I also follow your pinterest….you’re awesome!