Roaming Around the Farm.

Since my laptop ate my post last night, let’s try this again – shall we?  Thursday morning was another early morning run day, so I found myself ravenously hungry for lunch by 11am.  Lucky for me, my wonderful husband had packed me a delicious vegetarian sandwich – score!

I spent the first half of my day writing a paper for my Johnson & Wales Co-op project – booooo.  I thought my paper writing days were over!  I finished my paper just in time for our lunch break, but since I had inhaled my lunch earlier, I decided to go explore the farm a bit and walk around the grounds.  I found lots of big GREEN tomatoes, just waiting to ripen…

There are SO many tomato plants!  Rows and rows…

I am afraid they are all going to ripen at the same time, and we are going to have tomato OVERLOAD!  Expect a lot of tomato-heavy dishes and recipes coming up.  Any suggestions for what I should make?

I also found some curvy cucumbers…

And more gigantic cucumbers, ready to be picked.

And then I discovered what is quite possibly my favorite thing on the entire farm – BLUEBERRY bushes!

All different stages of ripening – pink, purple, and blue – soooo beautiful!

You guys know how I feel about fresh berries – total obsession.

I couldn’t help myself…

Mmmmmmm, so worth it.  Doesn’t get fresher than that! :)

I still had some time left in my lunch break, so I headed down the hill to my other favorite spot – the horse field.

As I made my way towards the fence, this sweet girl came over to introduce herself.

Even though I was a little nervous to be so close to her, we decided to take a picture together to celebrate our new friendship.  Moments later she sniffed my hand and made me jump about 10 feet in the air.

She even let me pet her silky mane.  I am so fascinated by these beautiful and strong animals.  I feel like I should add “ride a horse” to my life list – I need to get over the fear!

After a few minutes together, she started to feel a little camera shy.

And decided to head back to her other friends in the back of the field.

Just as well, because it was time for me to COOK!

Cooking in flip flops – doesn’t get better than that.  :)

But I wasn’t on my own – Lucas decided to hang out and keep me company while I blanched, sautéed, and toasted all afternoon.

Details and pictures of my delicious lunch feast coming up next!

Annie     at 1:30 pm

Gazpacho!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 1:57 pm

What a nice place to be at! I am so ready for blueberry season to hit big time! I am glad you had a good day…sorry about the evening! I hope today is better!

ann     at 2:44 pm

I too say Gazpacho, Kath’s recipe is great!

Can’t wait for the new bean burger recipe.

Hope you are having a better day.

Doc     at 3:33 pm

I also love gazpacho, but I really want you to try a shakshuka with your farm fresh eggs!

I made it here: http://thehealthydoc.blogspot.com/2010/06/long-week-of-eats.html

But I used this recipe as a basis: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/

I swear this is amazing. My veg-skeptical (skeptical that a veg diet can be satisfying) ate two bowls when I last made it and was dropping hints that it could be made again SOON last night. Good luck with everything!

sarah     at 3:58 pm

gazpacho. different variations. smooth, chunky, mellow, spicy…

Chelsey     at 4:44 pm

That dog kind of looks like a shaggier version of my dog! He’s quite a character – I’m going to do a post about him sometime in the next couple of days :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

he is an “obama dog”! :)

Dorry     at 6:23 pm

I would be giddy if I saw a blueberry bush! And the horses? Beautiful. Hope the rest of your weekend is great!

Tina     at 9:01 pm

Hey, why not some fried green tomatoes???? Perfect southern dish. Sooooooooooooooooo good! What an ideal internship. I am so jealous – farm, horses, produce, nature.

Clare     at 7:54 am

Here’s my favourite thing to do with tomatoes in the summer:
cut them in half and put them in a roasting dish (cut side up), spread the cut side with dijon mustard (about 1/2 tsp) and then make a topping of bread crumbs, minced garlic, s&p, thyme/chives and a little EVOO. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Particularly yummy along side bean burritos, baked tofu or meat/fish for the non-veg.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

wow – that is AWESOME! I am totally going to try that when the tomatoes are ripe next week. thank you!

Ashley     at 12:21 pm

I’m a horse person, so I can easily say, if you can deal with dogs, you can absolutely handle horses! Just remember to be on your toes. They are flight animals who out weight us by a thousand pounds!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That is the part that scares me!!

Ashley Reply:

You can conquer that! Just remember who is smarter!

Mom     at 1:07 pm

ratatouille!! good cold, good hot and I think it freezes well!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YUM. one of my favorite things too – just need some eggplant now…

Emilyeatsclean     at 1:40 pm

What a delicious looking garden! That horse is beautiful….you should give one a ride…..it’s an amazing experience!!!

Kelly     at 10:21 am

I think you should make lots of tomato sauce, bruschetta, salsa, sundried tomatoes, and ensalada caprese. :)