What Do Vegetarians Eat for Lunch?

Regarding my diet, one of the most frequently asked questions I get, right after “how do you get your protein?” is – what do you eat for lunch?  I will admit, this posed a problem for me too, as I found it hard to come up with good vegetarian ideas for my favorite lunch item – the sandwich.

But I’ve broken past that barrier now, so today I’m going to show you how to build the perfect vegetarian sandwich.

Start with some good bread and toast it lightly, so that your sandwich will have a more stable structure.  Top with some sort of hummus spread – mine is tomato basil, mmmm.  Slice 1/4 of an avocado and lay on top of hummus, like so.  Pile your other piece of bread high with spinach (or other lettuce).

In the meantime, use the tofu sauté method to crisp up a few thick slabs – I used 1/2 a block of the Nasoya Lite Firm – my favorite.

Next, add your vegetables.  I lucked out today, as I had a TON of leftover doggie bag veggies from my lunch fajitas.  Other options would be sliced peppers, zucchini, jicama, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Pile the veggies high!  Green light for vegetables!!

Option to add cheese at this point too.  Now close it up and slice down the middle!

Deeeeeeeeeelicious!

Enjoy with leftover slabs of tofu, mmmmm.

Obviously sandwiches are not the only lunch option, but they are my personal favorite!  Soups and salads make for great mid-day meals too.  :)

———-

Don’t miss my new (long overdue) Running tab – located up top!

Kendel     at 6:56 pm

When can I come over? Your lunch looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

afreshdille     at 7:01 pm

That looks so delicious…I am starving now…

Lindsay     at 7:08 pm

Yummm! I love veggie sandwiches! I've never tried tofu in a veg sandwich for some strange reason. Your pics make me want to try it. :)

spabettie.com     at 7:31 pm

oh, that looks delicious! when I was 100% vegan I would get the "what DO you eat??" question all the time! it's so fun to show folx how much there is to eat! :)

foodiefresh     at 7:39 pm

That's so funny that people ask you that. I'm not technically a vegetarian, but I only eat meat when I really really want it, so most of my lunches and dinner turn out to be vegetarian. Bean focused soups are one of my favorite veggie options, especially when it's cold out.

jessica     at 9:12 pm

Hi Emily, I was just wondering how you feel about the controversy surrounding tofu and what your personal take is on it? Thanks!

Ashley     at 9:48 pm

I've never cooked with tofu and have only eaten it about 4 times. Crazy, no? hehe This samich looks superb!

Cati     at 9:59 pm

Yes, yes, YES! Hummus and avocado is one of my favorite food combinations running. Sometimes, I add a thinly sliced apple, as well as a slice of cheese (sharp cheddar or smoked gouda are yum). And the tofu? That looks great! Thanks for the demo.

Katie     at 10:30 pm

Em, For some reason about a year ago in April I decided to stop eating meat at lunch. Since then I've eaten a lot of avocado, cheese and spinach. Now that I work, I make salads (with spinach as my lettuce) and take veggie burgers with me. I swear it has helped stabalize my metabolism.
I will definitely have to try that sandwich tomorrow – we have all of the fixin's. ;-)

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 10:34 pm

LOVE that sandwich!!!!!!

Jaime Santos-Prowse     at 6:06 pm

I am looking forward to when I am "allowed" to eat tofu and bread again. This girl wants a sandwich!

shrinkingfoodie     at 1:21 pm

That looks awesome!

Smartypanties.com     at 7:45 am

You could even use tempeh if you want to be extra healthy (the soybeans are fermented) which makes them a little healthier!

kalamckala     at 4:55 pm

That’s what’s up: us vegetarians can make BOMB sandwiches too!