Conquering Kohlrabi.

Yesterday’s job was to cook dinner for the farm owners, and I had a lot of fun new fresh produce to work with.  One of the best parts of my internship is getting to work with so many different types of veggies.  By the end, I feel like I should know how to prepare at least one thing with every vegetable imaginable.

One vegetable that we have had a serious excess of this summer is GREEN BEANS.  I’m going to just come right out and say it – I am really really sick of making beans.  Snapping the ends off of them takes foreveeeeeer.  But alas, beans were on the menu for dinner, so I dove in…

Looks like I was taking out a little too much aggression on the beans – I went to sip my iced tea and realized that one of them had flung into my glass!

The first dish I prepared was a green bean and radicchio sauté.  It was actually one of the CSA sample recipes, but since we were short on beans on Wednesday, I just went ahead and made the recipe once we got an extra bag on Thursday.

I’ve said it before, but I will say it again – after a year of giant pants and ten pound shoes, there is nothing like cooking in my flip flops and a tshirt!  :)

Halfway through cooking I needed a few more things, so I took a break to head up to the shed and get more vegetables.  On the way back, I made a slight detour past the cherry tomato plants, and helped myself to an afternoon snack.

And then I took a short lunch break – leftover red potato and goat cheese salad.  Deeeelicious!

Okay, back to the beans.  I simmered the green beans in a bit of water for about 5 minutes, until al dente.  Then I added some sliced spring onions…

And topped the whole thing with radicchio, to cook until wilted.

Once the beans were cooked through and the radicchio was wilted, I tossed the whole thing with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.

I thought this turned out really good!  The radicchio reminded me of collard greens in flavor.

Next up, it was time to conquer a new and slightly frightening vegetable – the purple kohlrabi.

It kind of looks like a big purple octopus with tentacles, no?

After giving it some thought, I decided that the best way to conquer this guy was to cut the peel off with a paring knife, rather than using an actual peeler (because the peel was so thick and tough).  The safest way to do this is to cut one end off so that you have a flat and stable surface.

Then set it upright on the flat side, and carefully carve around in a circle with a paring knife.

End result – a peeled, white kohlrabi!

Cut into one inch cubes…

And then tossed with olive oil and a few cloves of minced garlic.

Spread them evenly on a sheet pan and roasted at 450 degrees for about 40 minutes, stirring ever 10 minutes or so.  I had never tried kohlrabi prior to this, so I didn’t really know what to expect from the flavor.  Having tasted it now, my best description is that it is slightly sweet, and sort of tastes like a cross between a turnip and jicama.  It is very water-dense and CRUNCHY – yum.

The roasted kohlrabi turned out GREAT!  Roasting really brought out the natural sweetness, and it didn’t get pillowy and soft like a potato.  It softened up just enough, while still maintaining that natural crunch factor.

I tossed the final product with a little bit of freshly chopped parsley.

A word on vegetables – a lot of time I get emails or questions from people saying “I see all these different vegetables, but I just don’t know what to DO with them!”  Here’s the thing – I don’t either!  But I’m making it my mission to figure it out.

Rather than admit defeat and buy yet another head of broccoli, take a chance and play with your food.  What is the worst that could happen?  If it ends up ruined or burnt, throw it away and promise to try again another time.

Even though I had never even seen a kohlrabi before, I took a shot at roasting it and it turned out great!

The final dinner dish I made for Thursday was a Mushroom Herb Risotto.  To make true risotto, you must start with arborio rice…

We had a big delivery of oyster mushrooms to the farm this week, so my goal was to try to incorporate them into some of my dishes.  I started the risotto by sautéing an onion and the oysters until lightly browned.

Then I added the dry rice and cooked it until the grains started to turn translucent – another key step to making risotto.

I added a total of 4 cups of hot veggie broth to the pan, but only a tiny bit a time.  The risotto method is to add a small amount of liquid and stir constantly until the liquid is absorbed.  Then add more liquid and repeat the stirring/absorbing/adding liquid process for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Ad the very end, I added a 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and a handful of chopped fresh herbs – sage, tarragon, and parsley.

I haven’t made a lot of risotto, so I was glad to get the chance to practice again.  It turned out great!  Note to self – buy arborio rice!

Another great day of cooking and using fun new ingredients.  I’m glad I can knock kohlrabi off of my “vegetables to try” list!  :)

And now it is past 1am and I am up waaaaaaaaaay too late!  But I’m staying up to get this posted because I have such an exciting weekend planned, and I know I won’t have time to sit in front of my computer for too long.

We had originally hoped to go home to Cincinnati this weekend but couldn’t find a dog sitter.  I was bummed about the prospect of a long weekend with most of our friends out of town and absolutely no plans, so I sent out a plea to my two college BFFs asking them to come celebrate the 4th in Charlotte…

And since they are the greatest friends in the world, they both got on board and planned a last minute cross country trip so that we could all be together!  Lindsey arrived tonight from Ohio, and Mary Ann flies in tomorrow morning from Florida.  We have a lot of fun thing planned, as well as two birthdays to celebrate (Mary Ann and Uncle Sam!) – stay tuned for fun updates!  :)

HAPPY WEEKEND!

MA*     at 7:26 am

Hahaha, uncle sam is the only fella I don’t mind sharing my bday with. See you in a few hours :)

Simply Life     at 9:05 am

Nice work – looks great!

Anne     at 9:24 am

Yum – everything looks delish! Have a fun weekend!!

kelly     at 10:07 am

I grew up with kohlrabi growing in our garden every year! It almost became a part of every meal in the summer, haha. We would eat it raw as appetizers, or my mom would boil it with potatoes. Yum :)

Lauren     at 10:14 am

I had never seen kohlrabi till last week at the farmer’s market! I hope they have it today because it looks delicious roasted.

I don’t usually play around with my produce because it tends to be expensive! I can’t afford to buy food that I might ruin and have to throw away!

So my bad habit is just buying the fruits and veggies I know are fantastic so I can eat and know it’ll turn out well.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I know what you mean about it being expensive. Might be worth it to just buy one of something or a small bunch at a time, and do some experimenting.

Amber K Reply:

Seeing all the amazing things you do with veggies, it certainly inspires me to try!

Kara     at 5:04 pm

I just had kohlrabi in my CSA last week, and of course I came here looking for a recipe first- and now here you have one! Ha. I ended up cutting it up and cooking it with millet and veg stock on the stove (left the skin on), which was probably one of my only successful cooking experiments to date.

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 5:43 pm

Awww, so glad your friends are visiting. I bet you’ll have a fab weekend!

Jane     at 8:33 pm

How much dry Arborio did you start with? And how much mushrooms? If oyster mushrooms aren’t available, what substitutes do you recommend?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I did 1 cup of dry arborio rice, and added 4 cups of liquid. Probably did about 1 cup of the chopped mushrooms too. Substitutions would be shiitakes, morels, or any other type of strongly flavored mushrooms.

Louise     at 9:27 pm

I love kolhrabi! It is great raw with a bit of dip as well. In fact I have started serving it as part of my veggie platters at parties and people really love it! :)

Heather     at 11:16 pm

I LOVE risotto!! I just don’t make it as much as I like b/c it’s so time consuming.
Oh, and congrats on the cooking show!! How fun (and cool) is that??!

Ana     at 8:46 am

Is that really radicchio Emily? All the ones I have seen until today were purple…
The one you used looks more like Escarole, which I actually love, but it is so difficult to find around here (I am from Brazil and I could find it so easily there), and I am in NC too.
Ana

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That is exactly what I said! I have only ever seen them purple before. The inner leaves were starting to turn purple, but the majority was still green and very bitter. Delicious!

Ana Reply:

Cool Emily! Thanks! I like radicchio a lot, especially in salads. Seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil and grilled it is also delicious!!
Ana

Kelly     at 10:57 am

I have never heard of Kohlrabi but now I really want to try it. I tend to roast vegetables too when I don’t know what to do with them. You can’t go wrong with roasting root vegetables. I love to make risotto too. :)

Have a wonderful 4th with your friends!

Jennifer     at 1:50 am

YUM kohlrabi, My grandpa used to have a huge garden and these lovely veggies grew sooo big! We used to just cut it up in sticks and eat it raw! I would never think of roasting it! thanks for the tip!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog     at 8:25 am

Definitely the toasting – it breaks down the walls of the rice so that it can more easily absorb the liquid. I’m sure that’s why it’s taking you so long. Mine was done in 15 minutes tops! Give the toasting a try and see if that helps. :)

Diabetes Diet     at 4:31 am

Very good entry. Anticipating the next.

hunter     at 7:45 pm

We have a farm share and the purple kohlrabi showed up in the bag. It had sat in the fridge for the last two weeks, and I knew it wasn’t going anywhere unless I came to my friend the Internet, to find out what it even was. I’m logging off the site now and it’s in the oven, but thank you thank you for your posting as I was CLUELESS what it even was let alone how to cook it.

Bella     at 12:34 pm

The paragon of unedrsatindng these issues is right here!

weebly.com     at 12:07 am

Thanks designed for sharing such a fastidious thinking, article is
fastidious, thats why i have read it entirely