FYI: Razors and Coffee Don’t Mix!

This weekend is the big “find a place to live in DC” weekend, but there was one thing standing between me and my house hunting – cooking dinner at the farm for the owner and her family.  Based on what we had in the pantry, I decided to do a new version of one of my own old recipes – sweet potato and carrot curried lentils

Just to shake things up, I also added some kohlrabi since we have an abundance in the refrigerator…

I worked in an office setting for 6 years before I went back to school, and I own more khaki pants and cardigans that I know what to do with.  Now that I’ve made the jump, I’m going to always strive to find work opportunities where American Apparel v-necks and Nike shorts are the standard uniform.  :)

The curried lentils turned out fabulous with the addition of the kohlrabi, and I served it next to some seasoned brown rice.

Because this recipe made a huge batch, I packed up a tub to take home with me so that I wouldn’t have to make a separate dinner for us – score!

I was feeling stressed and nervous about the weekend, so before I left I stopped by the horse stables for a little animal therapy.

These guys always make me feel so peaceful and relaxed.  Such big and beautiful creatures.  Wish I knew how to ride them!

IMG_8899 (480x640)  IMG_8901 (640x480)

After work, I met Casey at our favorite coffee shop to work on online house hunting for a bit.  The combination of an empty stomach, too much coffee, and house hunting anxiety left me a little jittery and unfocused.  Casey asked me to come into the bathroom and help him trim up his neck hair – something I do ALL the time.

But I was rushed and not paying enough attention, and as I took the razor to the back of his head, I cut it up a little higher than I intended.  I didn’t think it looked bad, but he was NOT happy, and immediately took the razor to his entire head…

I felt SO bad.  He says he doesn’t care, but just last week he told me he was going to grow his hair out a bit.  Guess he’ll need to start over on that one. :(  It definitely made me realize that I need to take a breath and RELAX.

My poor bald husband.  :(  I still think he looks great, but I feel really really bad about it.

After the razor incident, it was time to take a step back and regroup.  Sounds like the perfect time for DINNER!  Soooo glad I had brought home leftover lentils and didn’t have to cook.

I think curry might be my favorite spice.

le="IMG_8911 (640x470)" border="0" alt="IMG_8911 (640x470)" src="http://www.dailygarnish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_8911640x470_thumb.jpg" width="474" height="349" />

Brown rice + coconut oil = perfection.

Looks a little goopy, but tastes wonderful and spicy.

Since we were going out of town, on the side I made a salad of every fresh fruit and vegetable left in the house…

Apples, oranges, strawberries, cucumber, and tomatoes – do not be afraid to combine fruit and vegetables!

All tossed in a delicious ume plum vinaigrette – yum!

We packed and headed to bed early, and the alarm went off at THREE o’clock this morning.  9am and I’m already sitting in a coffee shop in Arlington, Virginia!  Better get going – houses to see and miles to walk.  See you tonight!

kATH     at 9:52 am

Awww! Case!! I think he’s still hot :)

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes     at 10:02 am

Just might have to try the curried lentils recipe – my mouth is watering just thinking about them!

Maria

af @ .the food.     at 10:05 am

you shouldn’t feel bad, he really doesn’t seem to mind from the smile in the pictures!
good luck house hunting, im sure you will have the same luck as kath, you two seem to be on the same wavelength!

chiaraq     at 10:08 am

good luck! it will all work out. my husband, 2 little kids and I are moving to DC/DC area in October so Im following your search with keen interest.

Shannon     at 10:19 am

Oh my gosh…I did the same thing to my husband in our 3rd year of marriage. I cut his hair every other week since he liked it a certain way. However in a rush while getting ready to go to a cousin’s wedding, I accidentally forgot the guard on the clippers…and I started on the top of his head. Result=bald husband for the wedding. He has been attractively bald ever since. 12 years later. I don’t even remember what he looks like with hair. Funny…he never got mad about it either, but I too felt terrible. The worst part of it…HIS mother is a former beautician…geesh. You can check out his baldness over at http://www.principalspage.com :) Enjoy your househunt.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That is hilarious. :)

Kamaile     at 10:20 am

Oh I would’ve never thought to combine fruits and vegetables, what a great idea! Happy house hunting!!

Melissa     at 10:21 am

I live in Old Town Alexandria–have you checked out this area at all? Right next to the parkway running path!!
Also, it’s a gorgeous day to be out looking at houses! Enjoy!

stephanie     at 10:22 am

Welcome to Arlington!

That curried lentil dish looks AMAZING! I am going to have to add that to my must-make list.

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 10:29 am

Good luck with the house-hunting – how exciting!!

Erin     at 10:30 am

We just moved to Maryland from Nashville, TN.
Alexandria is great – if you’re looking for something off the beaten path (and waaay less Northern Virginia traffic, Takoma Park, Md. and Hyattsville, Md. are also nice little enclaves that no one really hypes up.

Sarah     at 10:35 am

Good luck house hunting this weekend! I love living in Arlington :) I’ve decided that if I can walk to my gym, Whole Foods, and Lululemon then my life is perfect!

Hopefully you get some good eats too! I’d check out Toscana Grill (by the Courthouse AMC) which has some great vegan and non vegan options. Zaytinya (in Chinatown near the Verizon center) is also a great Mediterranean mezze restaurant. The head chef was on top chef Las Vegas!

I’m also thinking blogger meetup when you move up here?!?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Blogger meetup for SURE!

caitlin     at 10:38 am

not to be inappropriate, but DANNNNG casey! youz on fire!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahaha :)

Therese     at 10:43 am

Huh. I think Casey looks better that way! Maybe it was a subconscious trick on your behalf?! Good job! ;)

Mimi     at 10:49 am

Haha, your poor husband! At least he’s a good sport… and looks good anyway!

That fruit and veggie salad sounds delish! I never really thought of combining the two, but I love fruit in regular salads, so it’s only logical!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 11:14 am

good luck with the house hunting! i also help trim my husband’s hair… never had an accident yet but i’m always a little fearful!

Kelly     at 11:15 am

Aww! I would feel really bad too..but he doesn’t seem to have gotten TOO upset over it :) And he looks great!

Sarah     at 11:23 am

Oh, Emily. I did the same thing one time with my husband. It was the middle of the winter and I was trying to give him a clean, neat haircut that would still give him hair and keep his head warm. I ended up messing up completely and he had to shave his head in the middle of the winter and he works outside and I felt TERRIBLE!

Hang in there – I know you’re going through tons of transitions right now. Take some deep breaths and remember you’ve got an entire blog-community of people cheering you on!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 11:30 am

Haha no worries, his hair will be back lickety split….like next week! The advantage of being a guy, I guess :)

I’m excited for you to move to DC! I hope I get to meet you some day!!

Suzanne     at 11:33 am

Yay Arlington! I didn’t realize you were moving here! I’ve lived here a little over a year now and I love it! Check out the W&OD trail. It’s my favorite place to run around here!

Carla     at 11:36 am

I’m so jealous that you are moving to DC…I grew up in Rockville, Maryland and I absolutely adore that area! My fiance have been talking about going back in the next couple of years. Good luck with your house hunting!!!:)

Katie     at 12:00 pm

Aww…poor, Casey! He still looks great! I don’t think Kirt would EVER let me take a razor to his head (and I don’t blame him). Good luck this weekend and have fun with your sis. I’m sure everything will turn out great!

Sabrina     at 12:03 pm

Hahaha that thing hanging off the horses face? That’s a muzzle and it’s supposed to limit the horses intake of grass… He was munchin away wasn’t he?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh totally! Munching grass left and right :)

Kelly     at 12:03 pm

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Can’t wait until you’re officially moved and I gain a running partner!

Lauren     at 12:35 pm

Good luck house hunting! I vote for Capitol Hill, that’s where I used to live and I loved it.

Grace     at 1:07 pm

Have you heard of http://www.padmapper.com? It’s a home-hunting site that links Craiglist ads to Google maps. Brilliant! It might help you with your search- good luck!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ten million thank you’s for this – I had NOT used it, and then proceeded to use it ALL weekend. SO so helpful!

Monica     at 1:48 pm

I’ve never commented before, but I thought I saw you walking around Clarendon this afternoon! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG! Totally wish you had said hi! :) Hopefully we’ll run in to each other again soon.

Nicole     at 2:01 pm

Husband has a nice body ;)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

haha I agree :)

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 2:46 pm

Good luck with the house hunting!

Katelyn     at 3:20 pm

My hubby buzzes his hair, too! I’m always so scared I’ll make touch-ups with the shorter neck razor. Your salad looks so refreshing. Best of luck with the house hunting!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 3:22 pm

Good luck! I hope you don’t have too much trouble finding a place. That dinner looks delicious- especially the salad!

Chase @ The Chase Project     at 3:28 pm

Good luck with the house hunting this weekend! You picked a good weekend because the weather is supposed to be nice and not crazy hot like it has been!

~Chase

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 3:37 pm

Aww Casey has a good head, looks great!!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:15 pm

My last comment didn’t show up! Sorry if this ends up being reposted…

Just wanted to say that I’m glad you took a few minutes to “smell the horses”! That’s so important to do in the midst of a hectic day. And animals, particularly horses, are so therapeutic. So maybe you and Casey should try to find a place in DC with room for a small stable ;-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Totally agree. I LOVE visiting the horses on bad days.

SheFit     at 6:10 pm

Good Luck finding a house!

ashley     at 7:17 pm

Hi Emily! I recently found your blog… love it! And noticed that you are moving to the DC area. We moved here about 2 years ago for my husband’s job, and I love it! We currently live in Alexandria. It’s a great area that is close to DC without having to live in the city!
~Ashley

Amy @ Amy Starts To Run     at 9:18 pm

Oh my, I feel for you! I was using an electric shaver, with a guard on it, to cut a boyfriends hair. I had taken the guard off to fix his sideburns when he pointed out a spot on the top of his head that was longer than the rest. I immediately took the razor to it without the guard and gave him a pretty large bald spot…

Ooops. He did the same thing and cut everything short and definitely wore a hat for about 2 weeks.

You’ll definitely be able to laugh about this later!

Jen     at 10:34 pm

Aww poor Casey- he can pull of bald though!

Happy house-hunting. You guys will find something great :)

Pure2Raw Twins     at 11:05 pm

Good luck with your search in finding a place. I am sure you will find one :) Coconut oil is great on anything :) so that brown rice dish looks delicious!

emily (too)     at 11:41 pm

Aww, pretty much everytime I “help” the husband with the back of his head I just jack things up! :)

Janice- Down the veggie road     at 11:52 pm

Oh u had me at curry ;) love ;) curry ;) anything !!!
I trim my hubs neckline also and It’s a wonder I haven’t done that to mine yet ;)

Emilyeatsclean     at 12:11 am

The exact reason why my mother-in-law still cuts my hubby’s hair….I’m terrified I’ll screw it up!! :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth)     at 4:02 am

Awww, I’m sure Casey forgives you!!

That salad sounds intriguing. I get a little weird with fruits and veggies, but I think I need to give it another chance.

Good luck house hunting!!

Elaine @ Om Sweet Om     at 8:34 am