Goat Cheese and Red Potatoes.

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments and reactions to my last post!  I have to admit, it took a lot of out me.  So much, apparently, that I didn’t even blog yesterday – whoops!  Back to it…

After five glorious days off of work, which included a short trip to visit family at the beach, it was due time I got my butt back to the farm and started cooking again.  On various days of the week I have different projects and groups to cook for, and Wednesday is the day that I make recipe samples for the CSA members.

My day usually starts with a phone call to the red shed, to talk to the farm guys and find out what is available for me to cook with that day.  For the CSA members, I always cook a few recipes that were in their weekly email, so that they can learn new ways to use the produce that they get in their weekly bin.  This week’s recipes were utilizing red potatoes and green beans, but as it turned out, they were really short on extra green beans.  So  I ended up just making the red potato dish and doubling the recipe.  Okay, let’s get to the FOOD.

Beautiful red potatoes, ready to be scrubbed.

Cleaned and cubed for cooking…

I didn’t have a steamer basket big enough for all these potatoes, and I was running short on time to be able to do two batches, so I rigged up my own steaming contraption with a colander perched in a large pot of boiling water.

Meanwhile, I finely diced one quarter of a red onion.  I almost omitted this ingredient because I personally hate raw red onions.  In hindsight, they really worked in this recipe – I think it’s all about how small you cut them.  Big onions overpower a dish.

Since I was running late, I had to eat my “lunch” while I was cooking, and stopped to snack on a juicy orange.

I’ve discovered that I only like oranges when they are cooled and refrigerated.  Juicy and perfect.

Chopped up some curly parsley, that I cut out of the beds myself.

And I crumbed up some soft goat cheese as our potato salad base.

As local as it gets – from right down the street!  Yummmmmm.

A stack of sage leaves for slicing…

All sliced and minced for sprinkling!

I tossed the potatoes, parsley, sage, goat cheese, and red onion all together with a tangy vinaigrette (sherry vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, and lemon juice.

The end result was deeeeelicious!  It looked like it was made with mayonnaise, and all of the members were thrilled when I told them it was actually made with all-natural goat cheese instead.

This was only my second time making samples for the members, and so far I’m two for two.  I’m finding that I really enjoy talking to the members about how to prepare their food, and giving them new ideas.  I hope when we move I can find some sort of a job in food education!

I ate WAY too much of this.  Yum.

Since I was handing out samples today, the farm owners decided to also have me go ahead and manage the CSA bin handout.  Of course I didn’t know that until yesterday – eeeeeek!  I had my camera with me, so I took some pictures to show you our CSA operation.  Here are customer bags filled with various types of produce.

And each customer also gets a vegetable box filled with even more.  On average, each customer gets $36 worth of produce every week.

This is the main room we work out of in the shed, because it is the only one that is AIR-CONDITIONED!  :)

While the boys got things ready, I set up this cute little farm stand, in order to show customers which vegetables were available for additional purchase.

I made labels for everything with prices, to make things easier and more accessible when we got a rush of customers all at once.

Look at these beautiful PURPLE kohlrabi!  I believe I am cooking some of these for dinner tonight.  I’ve never worked with them before and have NO idea what to make!  Any suggestions?

So much pretty produce.  I think fruits and vegetables are just as beautiful (if not more!) than flowers.  I could take pictures of them all day long.  Anyone else?

Yesterday was also one of our partner farm days, which means we had freshly baked bread, fresh eggs, and chickens all from neighboring farms – available for sale to our customers.

I set up my sample station so that customers could snack on my potato salad while we gathered up the items they had ordered.

Everyone LOVED it – another big hit.  :)

We set out a plate of cherry tomatoes for the customers to snack on, but I’m pretty sure that I ate at least 50% of the plate – whoops!

About 30 minutes after we got set up, some very ominous looking clouds rolled into town…

And we spent the next three hours working in the POURING rain.  I finally stopped rushing around and just admitted defeat that I was soaking wet, no matter how fast I walked.

Back to the farm this morning to cook dinner for the farm owner’s family!  On the menu – mushroom risotto, something with squash, and something with kohlrabi…

Wheeeeeeeeee!

Anne     at 8:38 am

Those veggies are gor-geous! I can’t wait to see what you do with the kohlrabi. I’ve never seen it before! The potatoes look delish too; those will be going on the menu for this weekend’s cookout! Have a great day :)

Faith     at 8:45 am

Could you post the amounts of each ingredient you used in the tangy vinaigrette? This looks so delicious!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I’m going to post a comment down below with all of the proportions – check back in a minute! :)

Ann @ Appalachian Appetites     at 8:53 am

I’ve received kholrabi in my CSA box for the past three weeks now. They taste a lot like radishes so I’ve been using them in salads, spring rolls, and even in a stir-fry. But a friend just sent me this recipe which she says she loves…I’m making for a 4th of July BBQ.

Can’t wait to see what you make as well :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I was considering attempting some sort of slaw. I like the addition of apples! Thanks!

Emily     at 9:03 am

I’ve never thought to steam red potatoes, that’s ingenious! I always just boil them which probably isn’t as tasty.

Annie     at 9:04 am

How much goat cheese would you say you used to make it so creamy? It looks so good!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I doubled the recipe, so I used 4 oz instead of 2. I am going to post the entire recipe down below – check back!

Adrianne@ Flex-appeal     at 9:07 am

Emily, I love to soak Kohlrabi and onions in a vinegar & olive oil mixture like you ususally do with cucumbers. YUM! I’ve not had the purple kohlrabi though. I’m very curious to see what you end up doing with it.

Goat Cheese and Red Potatoes. | The Front Burner « New Blog     at 9:08 am

[...] Read more: Goat Cheese and Red Potatoes. | The Front Burner [...]

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 9:16 am

I was planning on making potato salad this weekend for the 4th of July – I think I’ll have to try your version! Sounds delicious.

My dad grew kohlrabi in his garden so i ate it a lot growing up. I just love it sliced and eaten with a little pepper.

bavogel     at 9:19 am

Along with everyone else’s request, can you post all the amounts for the potato salad recipe please! I want to make it for the 4th :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

coming right up – check comments below!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog     at 9:45 am

By popular demand – the potato salad recipe!

Dressing Ingredients:
1 tbsp white wine or sherry vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup olive oil

Salad Ingredients:
1.5 pounds red potatoes
4 tbsp finely minced red onion
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 ounces soft goat cheese
3 sage leaves cut into slivers

Directions:
Steam potatoes for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from heat and toss in a bowl with vinaigrette, goat cheese, onions, and herbs. Salt and pepper to taste.

(Note: I made this for a big group, so I doubled the recipe!)

Enjoy! :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 9:48 am

I love making potato salads with stuff other than mayo…since I hte mayo! Your dish sounds and looks delicious! Have fun today!

Katie     at 9:58 am

THANKS for the recipe. I LOOOVE goat cheese and have red potatoes at the house now. With all the festivities coming up this weekend I think I’m going to try this potato salad.
Btw- we’ll miss you guys this weekend. But I can’t wait to see you in August!

Katharine     at 10:27 am

That potato salad looks AMAZING! I love the use of goat cheese – I’ll defintely have to replicate this. (It’d be perfect for the upcoming holiday weekend!)

Jen Lilley     at 10:36 am

i looove kohlrabi. Interested to see what you do with it!

And I agree. I want to frame pics of veggies and hang them all over my house. So pretty…

Emily     at 10:37 am

I made a kohlrabi, potato, and pea curry once…the kohlrabi gets really sweet when steamed, and adds a really nice softness to spicy curry. We also grew kohlrabi in our garden growing up, and we would slice it in thin slices, and put it in cold water in the fridge for a few hours until there were very crisp, then we’d sprinkle the slices with a little salt to eat. So delicious on a hot day!

kathleen     at 10:37 am

Goat Cheese and Red Potatoes, looks like you’ve given me a new recipe! Thanks! Hope hour mini-vacation was restful and fun!

Ginna     at 10:41 am

YUM! Although that pic of onions is my WORST nightmare. I have never bought onions or any sort of peppers and never cook with them. Luckily my husband doesnt miss them :).

Tricia     at 11:13 am

Speaking of kohlrabi, I just came across this recipe yesterday and can’t wait to try it: http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2010/06/fearn-smiths-kohlrabi-salad.html

It has been fun seeing what you cook at the farm. Looking forward to seeing today’s menu!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I made something very similar today! I will post pictures tonight :) Thanks!

Jen     at 11:16 am

You’re so creative with your recipes! What a healthier- and no doubt yummier- way to make potato salad :)

You are going to be so spoiled by all of those fresh veggies!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 12:46 pm

You had me at the title: Goat Cheese and Red Potatoes – yes please! Your food always looks amazing and seeing your food encourages me to try to cook more. I am on the start of my healthy living journey and really want to learn how to cook. Any ideas for simple, foolproof receipes?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Simple and foolproof? Throw a bunch of vegetables on a sheet pan and roast at 400 until soft and browning. My favorite way to cook pretty much every veggie!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales Reply:

Sounds good, I’ll have to give that a go. Thanks Emily!!

Lizzy     at 1:35 pm

I love love love your blog. I joined a CSA and got kohlrabi in my package yesterday. I’m excited to see what you do with it to give me inspiration. I think its amazing you work at a farm and I love seeing your recipes (I’m trying to eat more vegetarian meals) and your training schedule (I’m running the NY marathon.) I look forward to reading more!

awesome! thanks :)

Allie     at 1:48 pm

ooh, i’ve wanted to try kohlrabi, but it kind of scares me. can’t wait to see what you make!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It scared me too – but I promise it is harmless. :)

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales     at 2:51 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! I am bookmarking this to make when I get back from vacation! Love potatoes & goat cheese so this is a dream recipe for me :)

Kelly     at 3:23 pm

I just realized a few days ago that I almost signed up for the CSA at Poplar Farms where you work. The only reason I decided not to is because of my honeymoon in August which means I’ll be gone for a while and didn’t know how that works. I really want to go take a tour one day. I really love farms!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh how fun! We are open every Wednesday from 2-6 for CSA pickup, but also to sell produce and talk to the community. You should pick a day to come!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 4:51 pm

Fruits and vegetables can definitely compete with flowers as far as beauty. If I had it to do over again, I would carry a bouquet of herbs for my wedding (okay, maybe throw in some zinnias or something).

Are those sun gold tomatoes? Best kind of cherry tomato, ever.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES and I have been eating them by the handful – its insane!

sally meyer     at 6:02 pm

kohlrabi, broccoli, apple, & craisin summer salad with roasted almonds and a dressing made from olive oil mayo, greek yogurt, lemon juice, honey, s&p – a combination I invented from a kohlrabi & apple coleslaw recipe and a broccoli & kohlrabi summer salad recipe. sooooooooo good!!! I’ve been meaning to post my recipe on my blog, but am honeymooning and haven’t gotten around to it yet;) I’m sure whatever you come up with will be delicious!

I pretty much used this recipe but added apples & kohlrabi:)

Emily     at 7:28 pm

I have been following your blog since the Pig. (and have never posted). Anyway, thanks for continuing, I alway enjoy your posts. The potatoes look great! I have all these ingredients on hand. Will have to try them this weekend.

Thanks Emily!

Andrea     at 8:15 pm

Emily, I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago. I LOVE it!!!! you are an inspiration and I love your recipes. The potato salad is going to make an appearance at my next meal!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you! Welcome to the blog!

Cindy Robinson     at 9:34 am

I am totally swooning at your experience on the farm. It sounds just amazing. And yes, I could look at and take pictures fresh grown produce all day long. What a wonderful opportunity. I would love to get involved in a CSA program around my town….back to reading your entire experience :)

It was such a wonderful summer! Glad you’re enjoying the posts. :)

Flax Oil Convert | Heather Eats Almond Butter     at 8:17 am

[...] salad. I ate two more bowlfuls after dinner. Potato salad for dessert – why not? I used Emily’s recipe (scroll through the comments for the recipe), but subbed white potatoes for red, apple cider [...]

Birthday Cupcakes Take 2 | Heather Eats Almond Butter     at 11:39 am

[...] salad with goat cheese, candied walnuts, and apples, Butterfied Burgers, and goat cheese potato salad with fresh chives. Dessert was the Ultimate Vanilla [...]