Penne with Green Beans, Tomatoes, and Feta

Wednesday is CSA sample day, and unlike most weeks, this week I only had one recipe to make.  It was quick and easy too, so I was able to spend a lot of my day planning the rest of the week’s recipes and catching up on paperwork.

I was excited when I saw the recipe for today, because I knew it was one that you blog readers would love – seasonal, fast, and very simple.  I started with fresh basil, garlic, and tomatoes.

I feel very strongly that NOTHING can compare with in-season tomatoes.  Don’t you agree?

In a bowl, I combined 2 cloves of minced garlic with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, a handful of chopped basil, and about 2 cups of chopped tomatoes.

Next I moved on to the fresh green beans.

Washed, trimmed, and rinsed…

And then plunged into boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until tender.

When the beans were ready, I strained them out and used the remaining boiling water to cook a few servings of penne pasta.

When the pasta was juuuuuust about done, I threw the green beans back into the boiling water, and then strained the entire pot into a colander.  To stop any carryover cooking, I ran them under cold water for a minute or two while tossing.

The last step – TOSS!  I added the penne and green beans to the bowl with the tomato mixture, and then topped the whole thing with a handful of feta and tossed to combine.

The final product was a delicious penne pasta salad with feta, green beans, and tomatoes – and was absolutely delicious.

I love that this was technically a “pasta salad” but because I used twice as many green beans as I did pasta, the pasta took a backseat to the veggies, making it feel indulgent while remaining healthy and relatively low calorie.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.

I think purple basil makes such an awesome addition to anything – flavor AND color in one simple little herb.

Another CSA sample success!

Tomorrow I’m making dinner for the owners, and starting Friday’s BIG staff lunch.  Lots of cooking these next few days!

Erin     at 8:38 pm

I would like to make homemade peach/blackberry jam with local ingredients!

Dorry     at 8:38 pm

Looks fresh and delicious! And would be great as leftovers the next day.

Nicole     at 8:46 pm

I might have to make this tomorrow for dinner. I still have a ton of green/wax beans left from the weekend farmer’s market as was looking for some different ideas than a basic side dish.

Even better, it’d be yet ANOTHER vegetarian dish to serve my hubs. He’s already had three this week, two of which are recipes from your site! He really liked the Easy Red Beans & Rice. He’s normally very picky, but he’s trying to eat healthier, so he’s being a little more open.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome! I’m glad he’s liked them so far. :)

Katie (Sweet Tater)     at 8:48 pm

gah, that looks amazing.

Alexis @ Mission: Ambition     at 8:50 pm

That looks delicious! Will definitely be making it soon!

Eva     at 8:55 pm

Did you mean two cloves of garlic? 2 heads of garlic to 2 tbs of oil is mighty garlicky.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Omg YES! Thank you! I made the change. I am tired. :)

kelly     at 8:56 pm

Yum! 4 of my favorite things in one dish, it must be delicious :)

Brittney     at 9:01 pm

That looks fabulous and I’m all about simple, easy recipes. I will definitely have to make that soon!

Therese     at 9:12 pm

You certainly know us well! That looks AWESOME! I’m definitely sticking that one in my recipe book!

Jen     at 9:17 pm

What a great idea to use twice as many green beans as pasta. I’ve never seen that anywhere before. You’re a genius :)

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife     at 9:24 pm

This looks super yummy and easy to make!! Definitely bookmarked to try :)

Shannon     at 9:43 pm

Looks fabulous. I am for sure making this for dinner tomorrow and then enough to pack for our lunches on Friday. Can’t wait!

Lisa @ bakebikeblog     at 9:48 pm

What a wonderfully light and tasty dish!!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 10:03 pm

Yeah, you really can’t go wrong with a fresh pasta salad with summer veggies! Looks delicious! Have a great night and have fun cooking tomorrow!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 10:11 pm

Looks very fresh, simple, and delicious. I think my husband would actually love this meal!

Tracy     at 10:11 pm

I just bought all these ingredients from a farmer’s market, so now I know what I’m making for dinner tomorrow night! Yay! I agree that there’s nothing like a fresh tomato. Thanks for having such a great blog. I really enjoy reading. Good luck with the meals for the rest of the week. Can’t wait to see the results – they will be great for sure!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you!

Emilyeatsclean     at 10:13 pm

I’ve really been enjoying the easy summer salads this week! This one looks great!

Pure2raw twins     at 10:23 pm

Looks good! I love purple basil, the colors just makes the dish.

Emily     at 10:27 pm

YUM. I’m totally bookmarking this. It is so hard to live in the West…we are a good month or two behind you on what produce is ready to eat. It’ll be a couple of weeks before our CSA has tomatoes and green beans for us here in Denver!

Heather     at 7:17 am

YUM!! I make a similar recipe, but without the pasta and I add some sliced almonds!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 8:19 am

I’ve never seen purple basil! This looks so tasty!!!

Chelsey     at 8:21 am

holy yum.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing     at 8:35 am

Beautiful recipe! I 100% agree that in-season tomatoes are pretty hard to beat! Do you serve this salad warm or cold?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I served it room temp, but I would think it would be fine cold too.

Sara     at 8:51 am

Yum! Looks soooo good! I’m going to make this next weekend at the beach for the night I have to cook for the in-laws!

Maura     at 9:02 am

Wow, wow, wow! That looks delish! I can’t wait to make it this weekend up at my lake house! We have a block party to go to and I was struggling with what to make. Thanks for the great idea! I’m sure it’ll be a HIT :)

janneke     at 11:00 am

what a great dish! I’m going on a houseboat this weekend with a bunch of meat-lovers so as a lonely vegan i was a bit lost as to what to eat among all the hot dogs. i am definitely making this (minus the feta) and bringing it with me!

Lee     at 11:13 am

That looks great. How many servings would you say it makes?

Annie@stronhealthyfit     at 11:42 am

That pasta looks so nice and fresh and light!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth)     at 11:55 am

I agree, there really isn’t anything better than in season tomatoes! This looks absolutely amazing! So colorful – you eat with your eyes first. ;)

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils     at 12:03 pm

Oh I miss in-season tomatoes! I keep eating the hothouse ones and they seriously suck. Yours look gorgeous. Hope you get to bring some home to enjoy!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 12:36 pm

That looks so good for something that sounds so simple to make!

Ashley     at 1:05 pm

That salad looks insane. LOVE fresh beans + maters! You’re right, nothing compares to an in season tomato!

Marie     at 2:09 pm

That really does look yummy. I have green beans and tomatoes growing in my garden and they are sooo good when they are “fresh” – very colorful too.

Jennifer (A Running Hokie)     at 2:32 pm

I got green beans, tomatoes, and basil in my CSA box this week. I am definitely making this pasta dish. Thanks!

Kristie     at 3:26 pm

The salad looks great, can’t wait to try it!

Daniel     at 7:38 pm

I made this salad tonight for dinner and it was really good! I steamed the beans and my parents would rather they been a little more tender but I was all right with them. I think next time I would add a tiny bit more salt (kind of salt-phobic, haha) and some kind of vinegar or lemon juice for a zing. I used two tomatoes but I think a few more could definitely work as well.

Thanks for the great recipe! :D

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Glad you enjoyed it! I used 2 CUPS of chopped tomatoes, instead of 2 tomatoes (probably more like five!), so that may be why you thought yours was skimping on the them. Lemon juice would be good too! :)

Heather     at 8:42 pm

wow I wish I was as good at cooking as you!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

haha I used to be terrible! It’s all about playing with food and not being afraid to screw up.

Blueberries « One Step Closer     at 6:00 pm

[...] awesome green bean salad and grilled cabbage with [...]

The Epitome of Summer | Mission: Ambition     at 9:43 pm

[...] dinner featured a yummy Penne with Green Beans, Tomatoes and Feta from Emily! I used fresh, locally grown tomato and had corn on the cob on the side…I [...]

Green Dreams « Health Nutting     at 9:36 pm

[...] that, I made dinner! Dinner was this lovely recipe from Emily at the The Front Burner! And Emily– thank you! It was [...]

CSN Giveaway, food journal and workout. | The Healthy Diary     at 11:29 pm

[...] were leftovers from yesterday. I made a tomato and green bean salad inspired by Emily’s recipe. My addition: Artichokes and topped with red pepper flakes. So so good and smelled wonderful. I was [...]

Brooke     at 8:57 am

Just made this for dinner it is GREAT! thanks!

This blog is back! | Aspiring Anna     at 7:35 pm

[...] Tonight’s dinner was inspired by Emily over at the Daily Garnish! I used her recipe for Penne with green beans, tomato, and feta . Holy YUM!! I loved this and D, my boyfriend, like it. He wasn’t too sure about the basil [...]