Portobello Layered Mashed Potatoes.

Today was a dinner-cooking day, which always takes me back to my culinary school days.  When I first started school, I found it so strange to be cooking such heavy dinner food so early in the morning, but eventually I got used to it.  Today was a similar feeling.  Mashed potatoes at 9am – why not?

I started by bringing my potatoes up to a boil in a big pot.

The recipe I was using called for buttermilk, but I knew we didn’t have any in the farm kitchen.  Substitution time!  Do you guys know this trick?

You can actually MAKE your own faux-buttermilk by combining regular milk with lemon juice.  Just add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to a measuring up, and the fill the rest of the way with milk.  Let it sit for at least 5 minutes, and voila – buttermilk!

After about 25 minutes of simmering, my potatoes were nice and soft and ready for mashing.

Into the mixer – skins and all!  I almost never remove the skins on anything.  A lot of people think it’s strange, but I leave the skin on carrots, beets, you name it – that’s where a bulk of the nutrients and fiber are hiding, so why would I take it off?

Added in the “buttermilk” along with some nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and let ‘er rip.

Mmmmmm.  I almost never make mashed potatoes, so this was a fun treat.

Fluffy and perfect!

No matter what the time may be (ahem, 10am), it is always important to taste the food you are serving.

But of course I wasn’t just making mashed potatoes.  That would be silly.  The main inspiration for this meal came from a very LARGE box of mushrooms I am trying to use up.  I pulled out every single portobello…

And chopped them all up into bite sized hunks!

Then I sauteed a little onions and garlic…

And added in the yummy ‘shrooms.

Cooked them down, added some fresh basil, and gave them a few more stirs.

Now comes the fun part.  It was a layered portobello mashed potato dish, so I started with a layer of my freshly mashed taters on the bottom of a baking dish.

Next, I topped the potato layer with a mushroom layer…

And continued to layer until I ran out of food!

Perfect amount!

I topped it off with some shaved parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of paprika, and a quick drizzle of olive oil.

Yowsers!

Popped it into the oven at 375 for 30 minutes, and before I knew it I had this golden beauty…

Hello delicious!

I was really excited out how well this turned out!

It’s so hard to cook food for people and not know how the final product turns out.  So hard, in fact, that this might have happened…

Smoooooothed the hole over with the melty cheese…

Shhhhhh…like it never happened.

After work I went on an impulse trip to the mall.  Casey and I are headed to Indianapolis for a wedding this weekend, and I am SO sick of all my dresses.  I tried to find one a few weeks ago, but had no luck.

If you followed my saga on Twitter, you know that I had major issues at the mall.  Rather than being between sizes, I feel like I am between AGES in clothing – too old for Forever 21, but too young for department stores and women’s wear.  I went to the only place I knew I could count on – Anthropologie.

I may have spent a little more than I had planned, but I have already decided to rock this baby at the Healthy Living Summit cocktail party, and again at a rehearsal dinner in October!  See, already I’ve divided the price by three – score!

Tomorrow is a staff lunch day, and then I’m hitting the VERY long road to Indianapolis.  The car ride is just over ten hours – ouch!  I’ll be blogging from the road, and sharing all sorts of fun wedding details with you guys this weekend.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!  :)

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 10:44 pm

i am in love with this recipe…i know what i’m making for my friends on saturday night!

and i love that buttermilk sub idea…i’ve used it before, and it works like a charm!

Jen     at 10:45 pm

Love the dress you picked. Sometimes it’s worth it to splurge on yourself!

I had grilled portobellos for dinner tonight! :) Loving your mashed potato creation – creative and delicious!

Pure2raw twins     at 10:49 pm

The layered mashed potatoes look great. What a presentation!!!

The dress is beautiful!
Have a great weekend! And safe travels.

Dorry     at 11:00 pm

Yum! Another to add to my list. We loved your black bean burgers last night (and the leftovers for lunch today)!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

So glad you like them!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 11:04 pm

Safe travels!!!
That potato / mushroom dish looks so wonderful :) I always leave the skins on veggies too!

Megan     at 11:09 pm

Check out the Loft! It is great (especially for dresses!)

Alexis @ Mission: Ambition     at 11:18 pm

Your food posts always make me want to go cook! This looks SO yummy!

That dress is so pretty :) And it’s always worth the money when you’ll know you’ll wear it a lot.

Gabi     at 11:23 pm

Yum! I am going to make that this weekend!

Love the dress too. You have such great style, I always love what you’re wearing in photos!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

aww thank you! I feel like I am dressing like a dud these days, so that is nice to hear. :)

Katie     at 11:24 pm

I know what I’m making next weekend with the potatoes I haven’t used yet. Haha! Saw this post on facebook and HAD to check it out. Looks amazing! PS- cute dress! Who’s rehearsal dinner are you wearing it to in Oct?! ;-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YOURS as long as you approve! :)

Katie Reply:

Haha…YEA!! The rehearsal dinner was three months from last night. And I just realized I used the wrong “whose” (I’m a freak). Anyway, love the dress and the potatoes. Ha!

Adrianne@ Flex-appeal     at 11:42 pm

I live in Indy! Too bad you aren’t going to be here longer, I would love to meet you in person. Have a safe trip here and the dress is super cute!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh boooo! My in-laws live there so we are up several times a year. Let’s plan something for next time! :)

Nicole     at 11:58 pm

I’ve recently started reading your blog once I found out you live in Charlotte–so do I! You make food look so amazing. I’m curious, are you vegan? If so, do you typically taste things that are non-vegan? I imagine it’s hard to get around this as a chef.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Nicole – how fun that we live so close! :) I am not vegan. I probably eat vegan 90% of the time just by default, but I do still eat some amounts of cheese and frozen yogurt, and I’m just starting to eat some eggs again. I try to limit dairy to due the number it does on my digestive system. I am, however, 100% vegetarian!

Liza     at 11:58 pm

That looks delicious! And thanks for the buttermilk trick, I had no idea.
I agree about anthropologie — the plurge is always worth it for one of their dresses :)
I’m Liza by the way! Nice to meet you! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Liza! Nice to meet YOU! :)

Annie@stronhealthyfit     at 1:06 am

Cute dress! Anthropologie is amazing. So are those mashed potatoes… wow. :-)

Cindy     at 7:38 am

Great recipe! I will be making this tomorrow! I enjoy your blog and your recipes!

Chelsey     at 7:51 am

Holy cow – I want these mashed potatoes. They look sooooooo good!

Such a cute dress – you should neveer have to justify buying something so pretty!

Therese     at 7:56 am

OMG.

You have just become my FAVOURITE person EVER!!! I must make those mashed potatoes THIS WEEKEND!!!!

Great catch on the dress!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha YESS!! I hope you like them :)

kelly     at 8:28 am

Yum that looks heavenly :) I normally use vinegar to make buttermilk.. never thought about using lemon juice!

Yay for Indy! My hubby is from there and my sister and his entire family is still there :)

Ann @ Appalachian Appetites     at 8:29 am

The food looks wonderful..the dress looks gorgeous…have a fun weekend! And FYI…I’m loving your posts lately :) Drive safely!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you! :)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 8:40 am

Okay first of all, if I were rich, I would put you on a plane so that you could make this meal for me tonight. Looks OUTSTANDING. And, can’t wait to see you in the pretty dress at the HLS!!

Emilie @livetoeatrunforfun     at 9:07 am

I’m totally with you on the between ages in clothing. The stuff that fits the best is in stores that aren’t really appropriate, but then the “older” stores must think that once you’re 25+ you just get BIGGER. I would like to find some fun stuff that is made for fit women who don’t want to look like they’re the mother of the bride!! Anthropologie IS great though. Wish I could shop there all the time.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

For real – even the extra smalls were hanging on my frame, and I’m honestly NOT that small of a person. Very normal and athletic build! My best friend works at Anthro, so she keeps me posted on sales. :)

Jen Lilley @ a delicious life     at 9:33 am

yummmmmmm. will definitely need to try this. and SOON

Anne     at 10:03 am

LOVE the dress – it’s super cute!! Have a safe trip and a fun weekend!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 12:27 pm

You can never go wrong with mashed potatoes. We don’t have food rules here for what goes well at what time. I think you are right…school definitely makes you think about that differently. My youngest son is more of a savory person and often asks for leftover dinner for breakfast. I am with you on the in between ages on clothes. My frame makes it weird too. The sizes are all wonky. Have a great trip!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I think I have a weird frame too! Even the extra smalls are too big on top, and then fit on the bottom. So annoying!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 2:51 pm

Those layed portobello mashed potatoes look phenomenal! Cute dress by the way!!

Catherine     at 12:04 am

Ok, two things. I am definitely going to have to try that recipe. It reminds me of a veggie version of my mom’s Shepherd’s Pie. Also, that dress is gorgeous! What a great find, and it’s super versatile, you’ll totally be able to wear it over and over! Definitely worth the splurg :)

Kimberley     at 11:04 am

As soon as I read this post I knew I had to make this asap! We had family in town last night, so I got my chance. It was fantastic! I added some kale to the mushroom saute since I had some that needed to be used. Your recipes (i.e. black bean burger yumminess) never disappoint.

Maura     at 9:09 am

Oh my goodness! Those potatoes look amazing! I’m going to have to try out that buttermilk trick!

Life's Tasty Adventures » Blog Archive » Nose To The Grind     at 9:12 pm

[...] squealed in her comments section and said I’d be making it within days! It was her Portobello Layered Mashed Potatoes! I mean, seriously, layers of mashed potatoes and mushrooms? [...]

Kaitlin With Honey     at 5:52 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. That looks so, so, so good. I need to make this! Soon!

Thanksgiving Potluck Potatoes «     at 12:10 pm

[...] original recipe can be found here. It created quite a large dish, so I scaled mine down a [...]

Little Thanksgiving «     at 1:51 pm