Run For Your Life 4 Mile Race!

Started my morning with my first ROAD RACE in a looooong time – the Run for Your Life 4 Miler!  In fact, the last time I ran in an official race was April, when I ran the Racefest Half-Marathon.  We were up at 5am to fuel and get ready, and then headed out to meet our friends.

It’s always so much more fun to do a race when there are friends to cheer you on!  Caitlin made a bunch of Operation Beautiful signs to pin on some of the runner’s backs – very cute.

I am starting to get VERY sad about the fact that I spent sooo much time in Charlotte feeling lonely and friendless, and now that I have a fabulous group of friends, we are getting ready to leave.  Sniff!  The good thing is, these girls are all so nice, I know we’ll stay friends despite the distance.  From left to right – Jen, Kelly, Michelle, me, Caitlin, and Emma!

Caitlin made extra Operation Beautiful signs for our cheering squad – Matt and Diana!

And no Charlotte run is complete without my favorite running partner.  I am trying to soak up as much time with her as possible before she moves next week.  The good news is that once we are both moved, we’ll only be a short 2 hours apart!  Maybe we can even meet in the middle for some long runs.  :)

Casey and I realized on the drive there that we had only brought one Garmin, and since he had a specific goal time in mind, I offered to let him wear it.  I knew it was going to be a tough run for me since I wasn’t feeling great to start with, and it was already 80+ degrees at the starting line.  But when the gun went off and the run started, I realized how weird I felt to not know my pace – I had no idea how fast to push myself.

Since my marathon training started a few weeks ago, my running has been R.O.U.G.H.  I’ve gotten in most of my runs, but they have been sloooow and I’ve had to take walk breaks, which I really hate.  I hate to sound like I’m making excuses or complaining, but I just cannot adjust to this southern heat.  Growing up in Ohio all my life, I feel like I can’t even breathe down here.  I keep telling myself that if I just push through it, even at a slower pace, I’ll be faster when the fall comes and the weather cools down.

So needless to say, when I was already sweating at the starting line this morning, I knew I wouldn’t be breaking any records.  I did my best to just run my own race, not worry about what anyone else was doing, and focus on one mile at a time.

The heat was insane, and I felt like the miles were craaaawling by, but I kept trying to tell myself it was only four miles.  Four miles was a weird distance to try to pace for when you are used to the 5K distance.

I crossed the finish line in 33:57, an 8:29 pace!  Not my best, not my worst, but good enough for me on such a hot day.  I felt like I was going to PASS OUT at the end!  Casey, of course, ran smoking fast as always and finished in 26:45, a 6:43 pace – insaaaaane.  We were both dripping wet at the end.

I love having a group of friends that all want to get up at 5am and run races on the weekends!  Crossing my fingers that there are girls in DC who will want to do the same thing!

Caitlin was nice enough to have everyone back to her house afterwards for a post-race brunch.  Bagels with almond butter, delicious fruit salad, and I brought sample bites of our three-grain energy bars – this time a green tea and pistachio version (recipe coming…).

Since we were all gross and sweaty, Caitlin set up her tailgate tent in the front yard and we ate al fresco – so fun!  The neighbors thought we were a little goofy.  :)

Even though my finish time wasn’t quite as fast as I used to be, I was still pretty pleased with how I did in the heat.  Most importantly, I wanted to quit the ENTIRE time, and forced myself to juuuust keeeep goooing.

It felt great to get my racing legs going again, and now I feel inspired to do a few more.  Casey and I are even considering doing a 5k in DC next weekend!  Off to enjoy the rest of the day and get ready for a fun cookout with friends tonight…

Katie     at 12:24 pm

I can’t imagine running when the start temp is 80*! Yikes! I read yesterday in the newest Runner’s World that anything about 60*F starts to reduce your speed- something like 10-20 second reduction per five degree increase. Good for your for even attempting a race/ marathon training. I’m sure the rough running is just your body trying to keep itself cool enough!

MA* Reply:

Katie — I read that, too — that for every 5 degree increment increase OVER 65 degrees, you should slow your pace 20-30 seconds per mile. Which basically means I would be “running” 13 minute miles in the FL heat, since my start pace is about a ten minute mile. CRAZY!!

kelly     at 12:25 pm

Holy crud, Casey is fast!!! That is unreal! Your time was awesome too, good job! :)

Laine @ Beets, Butter and Mountaintops     at 12:37 pm

Were you hydrated enough on the run? I noticed Caitlin said she brought water, I wonder if that would help you.

I liked reading the 3 different run reports.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I think so – I grabbed water at the water stop and drank plenty before. I can’t run with water – it drives me insaaaane.

Lauren     at 12:45 pm

Emily what is the 5k in dc called next weekend? I am here for the summer and have always wanted to run one! Thanks so much!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It’s Battle for Ballston – we’re still trying to decide if we should do it, or if we need to just focus on house hunting…

Anne     at 12:47 pm

Great job you guys!!!

Jo     at 12:53 pm

Wow considering the heat you guys were amazing! I live in Scotland and the average temps here just now are around 16 degrees C. When I go on holiday to places like the US and even mainland Europe I have to take naps because of the heat and don’t deal with it well, so I really cant imagine running in it! Ooh and Wow to Casey- he’s like a rocket!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I love that you read my blog in Scotland. Very cool. :) Thanks!!

Monica Reply:

I’m jealous that you live in Scotland–I think it’s the most beautiful place in the world :)

Angela     at 12:59 pm

Great job! I also have hard time running in the heat, it makes me run so slow! You still ran an amazing race though!!

Lisa     at 1:08 pm

There is a fantastic running/triathlon community in DC, I’ve made some great friends through Team In Training. There are tons of training groups and Pacers, a local running store, has group runs at least twice a week. I’ve been sidelined this year because of a fracture in my foot, but I can’t wait to get out there again!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I will run with you when you are ready!

Sarah     at 1:40 pm

Congrats on your four miles :)

I currently live in Arlington (just outside DC) and I’m always looking for racing buddies!!

And it’s just as hot and sticky here!

Kirstern Reply:

I’m in McLean, but miss the trail in Arlington. There are a ton of runners here…blogger meetup when Emily arrives? :)

YES YES YES!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

yesssss! we can run together! :)

Lee     at 1:43 pm

I think it’s great that you made all those running buddies. I really wish I had some here in Atlanta. I’m sure you will find good running friends in DC too!

Great job.

Run for your life 4 miler «     at 2:08 pm

[...] it during a race.  I think Matt got an action shot of me, which Kath posted in her race recap.  Emily posted some [...]

Diana     at 2:12 pm

Fun times! Wow, Casey is wicked fast!

So glad everyone liked the signs Caitlin and I made! I had a blast holding them up for all the runners passing by. Got lots of smiles!

Hoping the temps are a little cooler for you in your next town! :) Great job today!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank YOU for cheering for us! It makes such a difference to have a support crew. :)

Jen     at 2:15 pm

You did wonderful, Emily! And Casey is SO fast! I completely agree with you on the heat. I’m sure your marathon training will get easier (if marathon training can ever be considered “easy”) come Fall- right in time for your taper ;)

Meagan     at 2:31 pm

Great job, Emily! I can’t believe you are moving, I must have missed that post!?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yep, moving again! Story of my life, haha.

Grace     at 2:41 pm

Congrats on a speedy 4 mile run, despite the heat!

I swear, almost everyone in DC is a runner. So many running groups & trails here. You’ll have no problem finding running buddies. If you find yourself in western Alexandria, look me up!

Awesome – I will!

Mom     at 3:02 pm

proud of you both and impressed!
But that is nothing new :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks MOM! I love you. :)

Katie     at 3:38 pm

Em, I ran 4 (slooow) miles on the treadmill this a.m. I can’t even imagine running outside in this heat/humidity. Emma and I did it on Thurs. and I think I almost killed her. Good job to both you and Casey. I loved your cheering signs! Too fun!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We can’t even run with the dogs anymore. They can barely handle going outside to play in the yard!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth)     at 3:42 pm

Awesome job finishing the race!!! I know it’s hard to push through when you are not feeling it.

I’m sure you will find lots of running buddies in DC!! :)

Thank you!

Mimi     at 4:00 pm

It’s so fun that you had a group of girls to run with. Exercise and a commitment to health is one of the best bonds around… I’m sure you’ll find that in D.C.

P.S. I don’t know why I just got around to book marking your blog… Better late than never!

Glad I’m bookmarked! :)

Miranda @ MirandasJeans     at 5:12 pm

It is always sad moving and trying to find the right group of friends, and then having to leave those amazing friends.

Caitlyn @ A Spoonful of Life     at 5:18 pm

I can relate to the heat factor! I ran a 5k this morning and the “fell like” temp was in high 90′s low 100′s. Yuck!

Congrats for finishing strong in those conditions!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete.wordpress.com     at 5:36 pm

I loved reading all of the race recaps!

You had an awesome race time! I wish I could run that fast!

I wish I lived in DC — I’d get up at 5 to run races with you! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh man, I wish you did too! Thanks :)

Robyn     at 9:07 pm

Running in this heat has got to be brutal but you did an awesome job. So nice that Caitlin had you all over after. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Hilary     at 10:33 pm

I just stumbled on your blog in the last few days. I’m a fellow Hyde Park running alumnae ; ) I love running there. (I only moved a little farther north of the city though). I enjoy reading your blog so far! I hope to stumble across you at the next Thanksgiving day race, assuming you’re in town. Good luck w/ your big move!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Welcome to the blog!! LOVE running in HP – miss it so much! No plans for this year’s Thanksgiving yet, but I assure you if I am in Cincy I WILL be at the 10k. :)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 11:26 pm

Great job! I can’t wait until I can run that fast! I ran my first 5K today in 30:28 :P

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

CONGRATS to you! You ran faster than my first 5K time!

Catherine     at 12:09 am

I know this might sound silly, but I’m proud of you for pushing through the heat! I’m so inspired by all of you girls, and it’s really fun to see all of you in Charlotte running together and being so supportive of each other :) Congrats on the race today!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awww thank you! It’s such a fun group here – sad to be leaving!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 8:46 am

I completely agree about the Southern heat. I just went on a business trip to Orlando and I thought I’d die. You should be proud of yourself for even wanting to get up an run on your weekends, despite the time. Just remember that!!

Thank you! :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:51 am

I worked a 5k for a community healthy living coalition last month, and it kind of made me want to run one ;) I know if I run, I’d want to be competitive, and competitive running gives me serious jitters — that was my downfall in high school track. Maybe one of these days though . . . .

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It gives me the jitters too! That’s why I don’t do it that often. :)

Katie     at 2:28 pm

I’m a new reader to your blog, it seems great! I looked over some of your older posts this morning, and I HAVE to know where you got your “Made In Ohio” t-shirt! I love it! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Welcome to the blog! :) I LOVE that shirt. Warning – it runs reaaaally small, so order a size up!

Katelyn     at 4:28 pm

I’m also a norther girl (MI) living in the south, and I completely understand having to adjust to the heat/humidity! Great job!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 2:39 am

Congrats on the race, you held a good pace. I bet it must be nice to run with friends.

Chase @ The Chase Project     at 4:58 pm

Yes there are girls in DC who want to get up at 5am and run races! (ahem! mee!)

~Chase

healthyteacher @ healthyteacher.wordpress     at 9:16 pm

I had no idea you knew Emma! I used to work with her and Greenville, and she is amazing. Too funny to see her out there running with the girls whose blogs I read. She’s wonderful, and I’m glad she’s found such a cool set of ladies to run with.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I didn’t know her until that morning! She is super sweet – hope we get to run together again soon. :)