The Hunt Begins.

So much to DOOOO!  This is going to have to be a quick one.  Our day started and ended in airports – starting with Charlotte for a 6am flight to DC!  We were up at 3am and feeling a little groggy  – good thing I was able to sleep from the minute I sat down in the plain.

Once we got to the city, we headed to our hotel to drop our bags off, and then set out to explore all day long.  We stopped in Caribou Coffee for breakfast and to check in with email, work, etc…

Has anyone else tried Caribou’s oatmeal?  The oats themselves were actually really good (I got the 9 grain), but they added a weird jelly-type topping that kind of freaked me out.  I was expecting either dried fruit or fresh fruit, but not jellied fruit!

Bald is beautiful.  :)

After walking around the North Arlington area for a while, we were starving for lunch, so we stopped into Whole Foods to take advantage of their awesome salad bar.

I love Whole Foods!  (Sorry Earth Fare)

Fueled on food, we set off and did a TON of walking.  We walked aaaaall over the North Arlington area looking for places to rent, and ultimately decided that it was too hard to do on foot.  We’re planning to head back up there today in a car to be more efficient.  We walked at least ten miles in Arlington along, and my feet were killing me!

Favorite thing about potentially living in a big city – public transportation!

We definitely got our money’s worth for our Metro one-day pass!

Mid-day we headed down to Alexandria for a house showing appointment.  We were starving again from all the walking we were doing, so I ran into a nearby Trader Joe’s and picked up a hummus wrap for us to share.  Also needed a giant coffee, since the early morning was starting to catch up with me.

Perfect mid-day snack for refueling – yum!

Old Town Alexandria was adooooooooorable!  We saw a really cute place that was literally STEPS away from this beautiful park on the water.

Such cute houses and a really nice area.

Unfortunately, the place we saw backed up to a kind of sketch neighborhood, and was waaaaay too far away from the Metro to be realistically walkable, so I think we’ve ruled it out.  But I can’t wait to come back to Old Town to go out to eat and shop!

The King Street area reminds me of New Orleans – love it!

Tragedy of
the day – within just a few hours of starting our walking tour of the city, the strap on my new Anthropologie purse BROKE!  So I spent most of the day carrying my big heavy purse around by hand – NOT fun.  Definitely marching into Anthro when I get home to demand a replacement.

Instead of freaking out about it though, I rallied and replaced it with a $2.99 Trader Joe’s tote.  Make it work, right?

After house showing #2 (not good), we met my friend Blake for dinner at the Busboys and Poets up at U Street.  I got a delicious avocado panini…

And a big pile of the most delicious sweet potato fries I’ve ever tasted.

Love having friends in this city already!!

At 11pm, our day ended back at the airport, where we picked up my little sister Sarah – flying in for the weekend to keep me sane and help us find a home!  While we waited, I couldn’t resist the lure of a Dunkin Donut donut hole.  I figured with all my walking, I had earned it.  :)

Now the three of us are off on another long day of exploring.  No luck on finding a place just yet.  :(  We just need ONE good option though, so I’m trying to remind myself of that.  Ten million thanks to the reader who sent me to Padmapper – what a life saver!!

And we’re off…!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 10:28 am

Just checked out Padmapper and wish I had had it two weeks ago searching for places in Baltimore. Very cool tool!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Padmapper was AWESOME! Such a useful tool!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks     at 10:29 am

It is interesting to see what kinds of choices you make when dining out at chain restaurants/grocery stores/cafes. Good to know that there seem to be healthy options wherever you go! But I agree with you, that jelly-on-oatmeal combo sounds pretty odd!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I do my best! :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 10:38 am

Good luck finding a place Emily. I know it can be so frustrating, but it is exciting too! I hope you find something today!

kATH     at 10:56 am

Don’t rule out the Old Town place that’s far from the metro – our 2.5 miles to downtown now seems like NOTHING and it almost kept us from getting our charmer of a house!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 11:05 am

Old Town Alexandria looks so cute! Keep hunting you’ll find something you absolutely love!! PS. I’m still lovin’ Casey’s bald head hehe.

Melissa     at 11:36 am

Hey! Those photos of Old Town!! I live RIGHT by that park and that housing area you photographed and YES, sketchy pockets here and there (like any city) but I’ve been living/running by them for 5 years and never have had a problem but I’m just used to it.
The walk to Braddock Metro I can do in less than 15 minutes and I can walk to TJ in 3 minutes and Whole Foods in 20.
I also ran my 20 miler yesterday on the bike path (water and bathrooms!)– from Old Town to Mt. Vernon and back and it was fabulous!
Haha–trying to re-sell Old Town but I understand your concerns. I just simply love it here.
Good luck finding the perfect spot for you!
P.S. Dogs are welcome in almost every business here, too!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Congrats on 20 miles – awesome!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 11:51 am

Seriously, I’ve lived here all of my life but rarely ever venture to those fun places. Thanks for reminding to do just that. I always use reusable shopping bags as my purse–so spacious! ….not to mention stylish :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You will have to venture out with me once I move! :)

Steph     at 12:39 pm

Welcome to DC! I’m going to shamelessly plug south Arlington, near the Pentagon City Mall. There’s a few cute complexes-The Grove (condos) and The Park at Arlington Ridge. The Shirlington area is also cute (there’s a Busboys there!), and so is the Del Ray area of Alexandria, though if you’re looking to be Metro-accessible, none of these places may be a good fit!

Lee     at 1:15 pm

Good luck finding a place! I have got to try Busboys & Poets next time I go up there to visit my parents. My mom really likes it.

vksiev     at 2:51 pm

That’s actually a pretty nice part of Old Town and MAJOR BONUS–the street right in front of that row IS the Mount Vernon Trail which runs 17 miles along the water/GW parkway from Mt Vernon to the key bridge. Also, in addition to the metro system, you want to consider your bus options when you are looking at houses. My major mistake when I first moved here was thinking I had to be really really close to the metro. Make sure you examine the availability/frequency of bus-lines. You might end up passing up some places that are more bang for your buck than places super close to metro stations! In Old town you want to check the DASH buses, in Arlington it’s the ART buses, and then of course metro bus.

You might want to also look a little deeper into North Arlington, like along Lee Highway which the next major road west of Wilson/Clarendon (where Whole Foods is). There are tons of cute town house complexes and apartment buildings over that way. Bonus,a lot of those places have direct access to the Custis Trail (a 5 or so mile trail that connects the Mt. Vernon Trail at the Key Bride and the W&OD trail around miles 3-5).

We are really lucky to have SO many great trails in VA!!

Did you guys walk by the Arlington Farmer’s Market today? It’s in the Court house area (15th and Courthouse road (east of wilson/clarendon, north of WF). It’s a great market and there are some great apt complexes back in that area as well. http://www.arlingtonfarmersmarket.com/index.php

Mmm, and one more recommendation–try Northside Social ( http://northsidesocialarlington.com/) just south of the Clarendon Metro. They have the most delicious breakfast sanwiches with local ingredients, they sell fresh bread and have french press coffee, yum!, and are really reasonably priced!!

Good luck with the hunt!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks for all the trail info! We’re really excited.

Fusami     at 5:18 pm

Here: http://www.cariboucoffee.com/page/1/beverage-food-detail.jsp?id=2304&type=food&base=OATMEAL&milk=SOY&x=63&y=8
The topping is strawberry compote.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Aha! Thanks.

Jackie (Peaces of Earth)     at 5:38 pm

Sucks about your purse! But, Tim Gunn would be proud. :)

Finding a house can be really stressful, but I always find that the perfect place pops up at the last minute. You’ll find a great home!!

Elizabeth     at 11:14 pm

Reading about you looking for a place in DC is making me homesick (I’m originally from Reston VA – so nearby-ish). I wish I had appreciated all the area had to offer when I was there!!

Good luck with your search.

Theresa     at 11:53 pm

Hi Emily – good luck with your house hunting this weekend! I know how stressful it can be, especially in an area like DC, but I’m sure you and Casey will find a great place. I’ve lived in the DC metro area for the past four years – I lived inside the city for the first year, and in Northern VA for the past three. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help in your search!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you!!

I hope you find the place that is perfect for you!

Erin     at 8:12 am

I love iced coffees! So quick question… caribou or starbucks – which has the better iced coffee in your opinion?!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I’m actually a Caribou girl, love their coffee!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales     at 11:12 am

Looks like a productive day and DC looks beautiful.

Meagan     at 12:13 pm

I love Whole Foods. OMG. I’m jealous! I’m praying for your house hunt – good luck Emily!!