CLT to ATL.

So much happening down here in the ATL – not much time to blog!  Yesterday was a whirlwind.  I knew I would be leaving straight from work to head down to Atlanta to go right to bachelorette night #1, so I actually wore my party dress to work and cooked in it all day!  :)

But before I could head down south, I had a little cooking to do.  Today was our second to last staff lunch, and we were also celebrating a birthday – fun!  First up on the lunch menu was a delicious millet salad that I made up off of the top of my head.

Not gonna lie, I think this might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever made.  I will definitely be re-making it next week so that I can detail and share the recipe with you guys.

The short version of the recipe – toasted millet with roasted butternut squash,  almonds, and dried cranberries with a maple balsamic dressing.

So freaking delicious.

Second menu item – patty pan squash.  Have you guys ever seen these?

I sauteed them with a bunch of onions and green peppers, and then mixed in some parmesan cheese at the end.

Patty pan is basically just like yellow squash, and cooks almost just the same.  I like to leave the skins on for a little extra crunch and fiber.

You can’t go wrong with parmesan cheese.

Since it was such a hot day, I knew we’d need something to cool us down, so I made a big batch of ice cold gazpacho.

I served it in a pitcher to make it easy to pour, and when the guests came to the table one of the farm guys asked me if it was thousand island dressing.  :)

Vitamix soup – tomatoes, onions, peppers, tomato juice, sherry vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper.  Yuummmmm.  Added some diced tomato and freshly sliced basil at the end.

Cool and refreshing, and once they realized it wasn’t salad dressing, the staff all loved it.

Lastly, we were celebrating Shane’s birthday, and the farm owner has asked me to prepare a healthy birthday treat.  I solicited the twitter crowd for recipes, and chose an easy vegan cupcake recipe that I had all of the ingredients for right there in the pantry.

Vanilla cinnamon cupcakes with chocolate ganache on top.

They were so moist and delicious, and you never would have guessed they were vegan.

I wanted to take all of these home with me.

As soon as lunch was over, I cleaned up and hit the road for a little road trip down to Atlanta.  Passed a big fuzzy peach on my way, so I knew Georgia was getting close…

And of course it wouldn’t be one of my road trips without rain…

And traffic!

But I didn’t let it get me down.  The drive was short enough that I kept myself occupied by singing at the top of my lungs the whole time.

I rolled into Roswell around 8:30pm, and got quickly cleaned up to head out to the party with the fabulous Haley!

Casey’s brother, Kirt, is getting married in October, and this weekend was the bachelorette party for his wonderful fiancé.  Even though it was a bit of a drive, I’m so glad I was able to be here to celebrate with her.

I hadn’t eaten anything since around noon, so when we got to the house at nearly 10pm I was STARVING.  I crammed a bean burrito down my throat.

There were lots of fun bachelorette festivities in order for the night – you guys get the tame pictures here on the blog.  :)

I made the best of the snack table – even snagged a few handfuls of peanut M&M’s.  I’m so wild!  :)

We watched the bachelorette open her gifts and got to know her friends from high school and college.

She’s so cute!

I think she had a really good time, and the fun will only continue the rest of the weekend.

The rest of the night was wild and crazy, and I had so much fun sitting and talking with Haley and catching up with her.  We didn’t leave the party until after TWO in the morning.

The two of us headed back to Toby and Kevin’s house and talked for another hour.  I finally hit my pillow around 3:30am, and I slept until almost TEN today!!  Here’s hoping I get to bed a little earlier tonight, or else I will be wrecked on sleeping the rest of the week.  Today’s plans are lunch, pool, dinner, and a bar crawl – eeeek!

Happy weekend!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 11:56 am

Welcome to Atlanta! It is hot here, right?! The millet salad looks right up my alley! I have never tried millet, but the flavor combination sounds incredible! Everything else looks delicious too! Enjoy your time here and I hope you get some rest!

Dorry     at 12:28 pm

Looks like a fun night!

Those recipes get me really excited about fall/holidays. I think that millet dish would be a perfect thing for me to contribute to a Thanksgiving family meal…when there’s usually nothing I want to eat. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Totally agree. Millet = FALL! I can’t wait!

Carla     at 12:50 pm

Hope you have fun while you are in Atlanta!! There are tons of fun things to do here! Bar crawl sounds fun!!! Be safe:)

Nicole @ yuppieyogini.com     at 1:29 pm

Looks like fun! When I was little, I thought that peach tower was real…wasn’t the sharpest crayon in the box ;)

Pure2raw Twins     at 2:04 pm

What a fun time!

Love millet!

Tina     at 3:14 pm

You and Haley watch over your SIL for me and BE SAFE! Wish I was there with you guys!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth)     at 3:25 pm

I’ve only had millet in bread and I love it! I really want to try cooking with it, I think it would quickly become a favorite. Especially when butternut squash is involved!

Have so much fun today!

Anna     at 4:42 pm

Nice! Those are actually flying saucer squash. We grow them on my farm too (patty pans too!)

I need to try millet. I tried cooking it once when I was living in Kenya but it was kind of awful. I’ll give your mango dish a try.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Our farm manager says they are a green variety of the patty pan! Who knows. Millet is AWESOME.

Kristin     at 6:23 pm

hi! first time commenter :P
the party seems so much fun :) my sister’s bachelorette party (weekend) was a few weeks ago – doesn’t get better than girls, cupcakes, cocktails, and lingerie showers!
PS – as we speak I am making a version of your recently-posted zucchini pasta sauce. I am using eggplant, zucchini, and squash along with my onions/mushroom/tomato (all fresh from the farmer’s market this morning!) I am going to put it over penna pasta with fresh basil from the farm, some parmesan, and a side of baked tilapia.
dinner. can’t. come. soon. ENOUGH!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Welcome to the blog! Hope you liked the zuc pasta :)

Ilana     at 9:01 pm

Emily,
That meal looks beyond delicious! The butternut quinoa and cupcakes especially. And so creative!
I gotta get a run in tomorrow or Monday as I am traveling
and I want to take advantage of the cool CA weather.
Props to you for persevering, training in the southern heat!

Have fun at your bachelorette weekend! :)
Ilana

Ilana     at 9:02 pm

I meant millet: not quinoa. :)

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 9:38 pm

Never heard of that squash but that chocolate ganache has me salivating!

chase @ the chase project     at 10:43 pm

I totally sing at the top of my lungs when I drive on long road trips too! Just did it today, as a matter of fact! =)

Amy @ Amy Starts to Run     at 11:35 pm

I can’t wait for your millet recipe! I have some in my pantry that is begging to be a party of that salad :)

Jenny @ Life, Love, and Marathons     at 9:33 am

Hi Emily! My friend told me about your blog several months ago, she figured I’d like it since you run marathons and cook, and she was right! I’ve been a loyal follower ever since then. The ironic thing is, I had a suspicion you knew one my good friends from college, and I finally realized I was right from your post about the bachelorette party. I ran cross country & lived with Dobies (as everyone affectionately calls her) in college. She had told me several weeks ago her soon to be sister-in-law was in the wedding & planned on running the half marathon so I put 2 and 2 together. I live in Columbus but am also planning on going to her wedding in Oct & am hopefully running the full marathon the next day….eek! Hope to meet you there :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

How WEIRD! She is my future sister in law! Too bad you weren’t there this weekend. Can’t wait to meet you in October! I will be one of the 8 girls in beige dresses :)

Heather     at 11:17 am

I have never seen a squash like that before!

your weekend sounds so busy!

Brynne     at 10:49 pm

Everything looks delicious as usual :) So glad you had fun at the Bachelorette!

katie     at 4:27 pm

First off, it’s soo weird to see myself on the blog. And I just read Jenny’s comment!! Such a small world. You two should coordinate a run when you’re in Cbus for the wedding!
Thanks for coming, Em! Hope you had fun. I am beyond tired today, but it was all worth it!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha your wedding pics will be all over the blog too! I had a GREAT time – thanks for including me! :)

Stacy     at 12:07 pm

Hi Emily! I just started following your blog a couple of weeks ago and this morning I was reading through your older posts when I saw that you were in Roswell for a weekend, which is where I grew up. Then I saw a picture of you and Haley! Haley and I graduated from high school together. Such a small world, just wanted to leave a comment. And I love your blog!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Welcome to the blog, Stacy! That is SO weird that you know Haley – definitely a small world. She is my family now. :)

Alison     at 11:04 am

Hey Emily!
I came accross this entry while browsing the archives. I know you made the millet recipe MONTHS ago, but any advice on recreating it?

I looked for the recipe, but could not find it. It is fully possible that I did not look hard enough or it’s right infront of me and I’m just not seeing it.

Thank you so much for all that you do!

Hmmm you just reminded me that 1. I never posted that recipe and 2. I should make that again. I’ll grab a squash tomorrow at the store and try to post it this week!