Final Fifteen Miles In Charlotte.

I set my alarm last night for 6am, hoping to get up nice and early and properly fuel for today’s run.  Apparently my body had other plans though, because I had a really weird night’s sleep.  I remember waking up around 6 and babbling to Casey that he needed to get up and check his email – clearly I thought it was Monday morning.

My plan was to meet Caitlin at her house at 8am, so when I sat up and saw the clock blinking 7:55 in my face, I had a major “oh crap” moment.  I went FLYING down the steps, g-chatted Caitlin to tell her I had overslept, threw my clothes on and ran out the door.

In the midst of my mania, Casey was nice enough to hand me an English muffin with PB&J and yesterday’s old iced coffee on my way out the door, which I slammed down my throat as quickly as possible.  Driving over to Caitlin’s house, I was pretty nervous to be starting out my long run so poorly prepared or fueled.

It just goes to show that sometimes you have to throw the rules out the window.  I ended up having one of my best long runs since I started training!  In fact, until the end, it didn’t even feel like running – just talking and enjoying company with friends.

Fifteen SOLID miles with wonderful Caitlin at my side.

We went at a comfortable, slow pace around 10 minute miles, and as we talked the miles ticked by.  I stopped looking at my Garmin after the first few, and decided to just run and enjoy the beautiful neighborhood and great company.

I’ve made it no secret that running has been ROUGH for me this summer.  I’ve struggled with my speed, I’ve lost my ability to mentally push through on the treadmill, and the heat has killed my momentum.  I have gotten a LOT slower.  But I realized on today’s run that running slower is OKAY.  In fact, running slower felt really good – perhaps what my body needed after all?  Eventually I’d like to get back to the speeds I used to run, but for now, I am so happy to just run consistently – no matter the pace.

The two of us ran 9ish miles, and then looped back around to the house to pick up JEN

The last few miles were REALLY painful, and my legs and hips were aching to stop.  But we brought it home strong and finished all 15 in a total of 2:36:35 – so proud to report that finally – FINALLY – I did this run without walking breaks.  We stopped to get water and Gatorade a few times, but the rest was ALL running – whohoooo!  Running with friends is SO MUCH BETTER.  I love these girls.

I was 100% drenched in sweat from my run, so much that I actually rolled my extra yoga mat out to protect my poor car from getting soaked on my drive home.

This was my very last long run in Charlotte – what a way to end it!  But I’ll be back in December for the Thunder Road Marathon, and I’m already counting down until I get to see all my friends again.  After three weeks in a row of great runs with great friends, I am reaaaaaally hoping I find some long-run partners in the DC area.

I got home and immediately raced into the shower.  I get SO COLD after long runs, and a scalding hot shower and coffee are usually the first things on my mind.  Also – LUNCH!

Delicious orange pepper and avocado sandwich on an English muffin – served on a Christmas plate, because that’s what you do when you’re mid-move.

With grapes and extra peppers on the side.

And delicious coffee, always.

Since we have started selling off our furniture and putting everything into boxes, the dogs have been very sad and mopey.

Last night they were being so pathetic that I went out and got them new dog beds to help them feel a little more at ho
me.  Without the couch they didn’t have anywhere comfy to sit!  They were so excited to curl up in their new plushy beds.

IMG_9809 (640x447)  IMG_9814 (640x471)

I promise they really do fit in their beds, they are just incredibly dramatic.

And territorial – Indy immediately went to work trying to figure out how he could commandeer BOTH beds.

Ahhh the joys of pet ownership.  Now I’m on lunch number two – tomato soup – and still FREEZING cold.  What is it about crazy hot long runs that leave me running for hoodies and sweatpants?

I am sooooo happy to have a solid and successful long run behind me.  It gave me a much needed confidence boost after weeks and weeks of poor running.  And now it is time for a much needed NAP!  Must rest up for another fun dinner out tonight with friends.

Lauren     at 3:02 pm

Here’s hoping to sharing a long run with you sometime. I’ll keep my eyes peeled @ TRM. And if we get lucky to score two bibs to the Army 10 miler, we’ll see you in DC!

Abby     at 3:03 pm

Emily! I love your running top! Where did you get it? I was looking at similar ones yesterday at Dicks in the Yoga department, but I wondered if they provided enough support. So cute!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I got it from the Champion website – also sold on Amazon. I bought five of them – obsessed.

Emily     at 3:11 pm

My dog totally sleeps like that in her bed that is 2x bigger than she is, and it’s so pitiful looking that she garnered herself a doggie pillow in addition to the bed. Spoiled they are!

Anna     at 3:22 pm

I would love to join you for (part of!) a long run sometime. I’m not a superfast runner- 10 min miles are my norm- so if you ever want company on a laid-back run I’m definitely down.

That sounds great! :)

Becky     at 3:22 pm

The dogs are too cute with their new beds!! I bet that you will see your pace drop significantly when the weather changes…for me, 10-11 minute miles in hot weather feel like 8.5-9.5 minute miles in cool weather. Plus, who DOESN’T like apple season? Mmmm, fall…

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That’s what I’m hoping for – crossing fingers!

Michelle     at 3:34 pm

I also used to get chills and shaking after an intense badminton match! It’s really weird…

haha I always enjoy two-lunch days :)

jamie @ jamelafamela     at 3:37 pm

This summer has definitely been rough on runners. It’s always good to have a long, good run to boost your confidence!!!

Your dogs crack me up… :)

Melissa     at 3:41 pm

Totally up for long runs here in Alexandria, both easier-paced and hard-core :-)

Sounds good! Yay!

Emily     at 3:57 pm

Ha ha! Your dogs crack me up…I love that you call them dramatic. Awesome.

Katie @ Life... Discombobulated     at 3:59 pm

The dogs are so cute! : ) I think your perspective on your current running situation is so awesome. I find it’s so easy to get down on myself if I haven’t had a fast enough (in my mind) run, but really, the point is just to RUN and to enjoy it, right??? : ) I’m going to keep that in mind during my runs this week. Good luck with the rest of the move!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It is so much better to run without putting crazy pressure on myself. Makes it enjoyable – the way it should be!

Danielle     at 4:01 pm

So awesome of casey to throw together breakfast for you! Sounds like a great run. Today I ran a very lonely 14 miles and was thinking about how I wished I had a running buddy -so I’m totally down for long runs when you get to DC! I think we are about the same pace.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yesssss! Looking forward to running together, hurrah!

Lauren     at 4:07 pm

What a great run! I sometimes get discouraged that my speed has not been as good as it was last year, but I realize that my body is entirely different this year. I’ve gone through several injuries and I should just be grateful that I am still running, so what if it’s a tad slower.
Way to end Charlotte on a great note!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you! Trying to embrace one good run at a time. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 4:15 pm

With the weather turning cooler, tomato soup sounds really good about right now! I get really cold after working out hard too. Who am I fooling…I get really cold all the time. Anyway, glad you had a good run. Enjoy your nap and your evening!

Samantha     at 4:32 pm

Hang in there with the running challenges, and keep up the good attitude. I am not as fast as you (my current long runs, under 10 miles, are at a 10-10:30 pace) but I’ve lost a lot of my stamina and speed. I’m an asthmatic and moving to Guam all but shut down my lungs’ ability to adapt to what you’d think is similar to southern heat and humidity, but is worse given the proximity to the equator.

Mentally its been so sad to go from running marathons to rarely breaking double digits. But it is what it is and its given me time to explore other activities such as hiking and scuba.

And I get cold too!

coco     at 4:44 pm

you girls rock!!!! 15 miles is a BIG accomplishment!!!
long run partner? here’s one, although I don’t do 15 miles yet, but I’d love to run with you ;)

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 4:46 pm

It sounds like you had a brilliant run – well done!! I love that you had to use Christmas paper plates for your lunch. Moving is not glamarous that’s for sure!

Becky     at 5:00 pm

Congrats on a great run! What nice way to say farewell to Charlotte. It’s always more fun to have friends too keep your mind off the pain :)

Katie (Sweet Tater)     at 5:09 pm

cute shirt… top.. whatever!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 5:15 pm

Sounds like an awesome run! I do love your running tank–where did you find it?

Your pups are also adorable :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Champion brand – I love them!!

kATH     at 5:48 pm

So sad I couldn’t join you :( Seriously :(

Booo we missed you. :(

Liza     at 6:03 pm

Way to go on the run! Amazing– sounds great. I love running slowly with friends, it’s really really nice sometimes to just chat and enjoy it!

Kristen     at 6:06 pm

Congrats on an awesome 15 miles! You are a rockstar! :o) I am so excited to see your new digs! I have been thinking about your move since my Cardinals have been in DC! Keep up the good work! You are keeping me motivated for my 20 mimed next Saturdat!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oooohh good luck on 20! Just KEEP GOING! :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 6:50 pm

fall will bring better running weather. i think everyone in this whole country has had running issues in this terribly hot summer. you’ll be just fine i’m sure :) and love the christmas plate in the summer… so fun, move or no move. :)

Jen @ Jen Trains     at 7:04 pm

I am also training for the Marine Corp Marathon and would love to have a running buddy since I am losing my current buddy in a week! I run about a 10min mile depending on the distance…when I get up to 17 it gets a little tough but I would love to meet up and run together!

Sounds perfect!

Tina     at 7:27 pm

Great job on the run! Don’t you love when workouts turn out better than anticipated?

Love the Christmas plate. LOL

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 7:40 pm

I get super cold too after a a tough run. The bundled photo made me laugh. Hopefully you’re DC runs will be a bit cooler than the Charlotte ones this summer!

Chelsey     at 8:23 pm

Wooohoo! Go you! I would have totally freaked out if I didn’t have my “morning routine” before my run. Good for you for being able to suck it up and go to work! That is super weird that you get really cold after a long run – weird, but I still love you.

Haha, thanks :)

Jill     at 8:29 pm

Right on to you and your run! I once had a great race when I was running way late–u just never know!

steph     at 8:53 pm

i know im not quite at your level yet, but im excited to join you for some 10-12 mile runs once youre settled in DC :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yay! I love to run at any level. :)

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run     at 9:09 pm

If you’re in need of some suggestions for LRs in DC, let me know!! I trained for my first marathon there earlier this year (moved away a month ago), so I know a lot of great places to log some miles :) Also, check out DC Capital Striders – they have a lot of different runs to choose from (used to do the Monday/Thursday Smithsonian runs) and you can usually find a good handful of people training and looking for Long Run buddies!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome, thank you! Sad that we just missed each other :(

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run Reply:

I know! Would have Loved to have a LR training buddy! Excited for you though :) Tons of fun trails to explore up there

christina cadden     at 9:10 pm

Congrats on your run! Your dogs look so cute!

Caitlin     at 9:31 pm

I LOVE the pictures of your dogs in their new beds.

This was a literal LOL:

“I promise they really do fit in their beds, they are just incredibly dramatic.”

And I have never seen running tops like this? Perhaps I need to stop looking like a Nike sponsored athlete and browse a bit more!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

They are Champion, and I am in love with them!!

Jen     at 9:37 pm

Loved running with you one last time in Charlotte… for now :) So glad you’re coming back for Thunder Road!

I freeze after long runs in the heat too. What gives?

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 9:48 pm

Great job on the long run!

That yoga mat seat cover idea is hilarious. :)

ilana     at 10:47 pm

Holy cow, Emily! Fifteen miles is awesome. The heat makes a huge difference, which is why I waited to get back into running until July was over. I just ran 5 for the first time in a while, but I don’t have many running buddies. Anyway, I would love to run with you when you get to DC– and/or go to yoga, followed by fro-yo or cafe. :) Best of luck with the move– you are making great progess!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 11:30 pm

Every time I see the Champion tank, I get more excited for mine to arrive.

BTW, did you know you have the most gorgeous, glowing sking!? :)

Omg, I love you.

Miranda @ MirandasJeans     at 11:41 pm

Two comments.

1. I love the yoga mat idea. I’ll have to use that one after hot yoga.

2. I’m always freezing cold after hot yoga. My husband doesn’t get why I am cold and need to have a hot shower after hot yoga. lol

JL Goes Vegan     at 6:13 am

Great run! You 15 make my nine feel short but I’m okay with that! :) And I hear you on the slowing down. I find my longer runs so much more enjoyable when I leave my ego at home and tell myself to enjoy the run, be able to talk comfortably and chances are the miles fly by without me noticing!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Nine is AWESOME!! Congrats!

April     at 8:10 am

I just started following your blog recently and love it! I am just starting a running program from SCRATCH!! I would love to join you once I get up there. I’m just outside the DC area with beautiful running spots so I’m looking forward to getting started

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome – so glad you found the blog! :) Hope we can run together!

Grace @ Front Porch Yoga     at 9:43 am

Perhaps your yoga class on Saturday sparked your fire for the run on Sunday? :) I know you’ve mentioned before that yoga has been a great partner for your running. Best wishes for a safe move!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 11:28 am

Congrats on your run! That’s awesome. And I love your technique of putting your yoga mat on your car seat :-)

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales)     at 11:44 am

Great job!!! I’m totally impressed. I need to ask…what kind of shorts do you run in? I have a problem with running shorts…they all ride up and I end up running in long workout pants which are just unbearable in this heat!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I actually get all my shorts at Old Navy – they are my favorite of all the brands I’ve tried. I can’t even imagine running in pants!

Stephanie     at 12:22 pm

I would LOVE to find people to run with me in DC early weekend mornings. :) I am actually doing my best to follow your MCM training plan as is, although this weekend was a little rough and I only did 10 miles. MCM will be my first! Best,
Stephanie

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh awesome. Trust me, I know all about rough runs. *Only* ten miles, isn’t it crazy how you start to think? :)

Liz     at 1:34 pm

I’ll do long runs with you! :)

Hurrah hurrah!!

Christine     at 1:55 pm

Hey! Noticed on another post that you’re running the Columbus marathon (or half?) in October. I’m running the half, and it’ll be my first long race… Super excited and super nervous! Have you run it before?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yes I am running the half! I have not run this one before, but I have friends who have, and I hear good things! GOOD LUCK with your training. :)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 2:33 pm

I personally see nothing wrong with Xmas plates in August

Paige @ Running Around Normal     at 2:46 pm

Nice job on the run! I’m always freezing after sweaty runs too. That’s hilarious you used your yoga mat – but so smart too :)

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean     at 2:56 pm

OH WOW! well done well done!! brilliant run! you wee running superstar!! x

Nienke at Revel     at 3:11 pm

Wow – your post totally makes me wanna run right at this very moment!

And love the xmas plates :)

Sarah     at 3:34 pm

I would also love to go on long runs with a group!!

Awesome!!

Jasmine (sweet and fit)     at 3:36 pm

hey Emily! I just read through the last several of your posts and I’m sorry that you have to leave…but you are moving to DC! I can’t explain how excited I am to meet you – do you know if anyone has organized a welcome get together for you yet?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Jasmine! YES – moving to Old Town in TWO days – aaahh! Nothing organized quite yet, but I definitely want to plan something soon after I get there. Perhaps you can help me think of a good spot?

emily     at 12:40 pm

Long runs in DC? I’m so there! I just came across your blog and am excited to read about your move to wonderful DC! You should be super pumped, it’s an amazing city and full of unbelievable training grounds for runners. Good luck with the last few days in NC!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome! So happy to have so many running partners! We are so excited. :)

Carolyn     at 8:31 am

There is really no other sport like running! If you enjoy running and living active lifestyle, check out this blog: militarygradenutritionals.com/blog/. A lot of useful information about athlete training, diet plans, fitness programs and other important things for athletes, as well as for others who want to be fit.