For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Hillbilly Heaven.

We have officially entered the "eating healthy takeout” phase of our move.  You don’t think Qdoba is healthy?  I beg to differ.

I got my standard “naked” burrito with double veggies, double salsas, a pile of lettuce…

And a monstrous glob of guacamole.  No complaints here!

Yum!  We actually got Qdoba our very first night in Charlotte, after driving 9 hours in our cars and moving truck, and then unloading the truck for hours.  It was like a beacon of light at the end of a torturously long move.  Pretty sure I slammed a full burrito that night.

Yesterday I tried to be responsible by sitting down for a few hours to deal with setting up new utilities, cancelling old utilities, forwarding mail – all that good stuff.  One of the other tasks on my list was scheduling a large trash pickup.  For as long as we lived in Cincinnati, we always lived in a more urban-type neighborhood, where you simply take your trash and trashcans out to the curb, and they disappear every Tuesday morning.

After we moved here to Charlotte, we moved in and then happily piled all our garbage and boxes and things on the curb on our first trash night, only to find that they remained there post-trash-pickup.  Turns out that out here in the ‘burbs, you can only throw away what you can fit in your trashcan.  There are no garbage men here – just a truck with a giant arm that reaches around and picks up trash cans.  If it’s not in the can, you can’t throw it away!

So for an entire year, we’ve been stockpiling old broken stuff in our garage because we were too lazy to figure out how to get rid of any of it.  We considered lighting it all on fire (fun), but our wooded backyard could have made for a potential disaster.  So the very LONG story short here, is that after an entire year of only throwing away a can’s worth of trash at a time, I called yesterday to schedule our large trash pickup.  Imagine my surprise when they told me they would actually be coming around…TODAY!  Lots of scrambling ensued, since I now had about three hours to gather it all, instead of three days as planned.  We worked until it was dark, turning our lovely suburban home into a hillbilly nightmare.

One of our poor neighbors was outside hedging his perfectly manicured lawn while we were piling old carpets and broken vacuums high to the sky.  Crossing my fingers that they actually take all this stuff, or I might have to revisit that bonfire idea.

After an intense morning yoga class, moving and carrying boxes all day, and hours of junk removal, I was craving something delicious for a late night snack.  We never really have chocolate or snack stuff in our house though, and even if we did, our pantry is 95% packed.  But I wasn’t giving up.  I headed to the next best place – my freezer…

Yes, you are correct – that is our wedding cake.  If you’ve read any of our wedding recaps, you already know that we were not exactly the most traditional bride and groom.  So who cares about tradition when it comes to eating the cake, right?  Cakes are for celebration, and I think we have a lot to celebrate right now.

Plus I just really really wanted cake, and Casey didn’t argue.

And with that, I’m turning on very loud rap music and heading back to the closet for a few more hours so that I can take a much needed break this afternoon.  THREE more days – aaaaaaahhhh!

Tina     at 2:31 pm

My husband actually does burn a lot of our trash so we don’t have to take it somewhere or order a special pick up. LOL

Your cake looks soooo good!! I wouldn’t be opposed to breaking into it either.

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 3:00 pm

O wow, I bet it felt GOOD to get rid of all that trash.

That cake looks delish!

Madison     at 3:22 pm

And I now have an odd craving for Bonbonerie. Thank you, Emily!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yum, I love Bonbonerie. :)

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales)     at 3:42 pm

Too funny about your trash. That’s how our curb looks on most Thursday nights….good thing they take it all at once. Ha!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 4:01 pm

Not long to go now until the big move. You seem to be so organised with everything. I hate the part of moving where you’re almost ready to go but not quite. Starting to pack everything is eciting and unpacking at the other end is like a new beginning, but the part in the middle is just boring!

Amanda @ Bakingwithoutabox     at 4:06 pm

I love the “conquered” pose on the curbside collection!

Heather     at 6:14 pm

I always have cake in my freezer, yours looks great! thats weird about the trash arm thing! I live out in the county kinda in the woods and we have trash men. weird!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward     at 6:32 pm

Yay for wedding cake! I actually didn’t have a piece of cake at my own wedding (the horror!) other than the small amount my husband fed me when we cut the cake. My mom managed to freeze a bit, which I devoured when I was home this weekend! We still have the whole top for our first anniversary. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That IS horrible! I’m glad your mom saved you some. :)

Lee     at 7:20 pm

My husband and I were just discussing last night how we have no idea where the top layer of our wedding cake is. We got married in DC and live in GA and the cake must have stayed in DC. We just figured we’d buy some cake on our first anniversary. We’re not traditional either!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

If it’s still in DC I will eat it for you :)

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self     at 8:12 pm

That is one huge pile of stuff! I’m sure you’ll feel much lighter once that’s out of your life!

We meant to save the top layer of our wedding cake, but ended up eating it about a month after the wedding on some random night when my husband was craving it. :)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 8:45 pm

Ha, my boyfriend and I are kind of the same way with our stuff. I’d have a pile that big too!!

The wedding cake looks delicious :)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 9:08 pm

Way to go on the trash pile! Love your strong-woman pose and Casey’s silhouette on the side. Very cute.

Your salad looks delightful! There aren’t any Qdobas near me, but my favorite thing at Baja Fresh is pretty close to your take, with their ‘bare-style grilled veggie burrito.’

I’m going to have to get ready for a move (hopefully) pretty soon. I am dreading the throw-out stage! It will be my first real move from my childhood house, other than when I went to college. And I am such a pack rat. I keep thinking I should start clearing out the junk everywhere, but I obviously have a new reason not to every day. :-p

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have LOVED clearing out the junk – so freeing!

Rebekah @ Rebeltarian     at 9:50 pm

Wedding cake! How fun! You deserved it after packing up all of that stuff.

Neen @ broad Bean to Runner Bean     at 3:19 am

haha love that you had your wedding cake in the freezer! awesome!!

Brandy     at 12:56 pm

Just got all tearry over your wedding. :)

I love love!