Holding On To What Matters.

There is no denying it: the moving process is a nightmare.  No matter how early you start, how many boxes you stockpile, or how organized you think you are, those last few days will inevitably make you want to rip your hair out.  Living in limbo is nobody’s idea of a good time.

I think it’s safe to say I’m becoming a professional mover, given my moving history over the past ten years, and the fact that I have packed and moved myself each and every time.  And after all that moving, I think I’ve come to my “mover’s epiphany.”

The material stuff is NOT important.

Closets piled high, stuff from the 6th grade, boxes that have been under beds so long that we don’t even know what’s in them anymore.  So often we hold onto this junk because we just “can’t deal with it” and don’t want to face actually doing something about it.  I am totally guilty as a member of this club.

But after carting useless crap across state lines one too many times, I have finally decided to face it and stop ignoring it.  So I started my moving process two weeks early, giving me enough time to pack the things we love and want, and to purge the things we no longer need.

I started in the dreaded guest room – a room where, first of all, we don’t even leave the door open.  That’s how unimportant the room is.  It’s also the landing zone for most of my personal post-college belongings.  The first thing I started going through was an old card box.  As I started to fish through them, and memories came flooding back, I realized the cards were totally NOT important.

IMG_9553

It didn’t matter that my grandma sent me a card on my 24th birthday and told me that she loved me.  What mattered was that my grandma loved me.  And it didn’t matter that someone thanked me for a wedding gift I had given several years ago, what mattered was that each time they use their toaster, they think of me!  Into the trash bag they went…

Next up, the office!  I found my old wedding planning notebook, complete with table diagrams, seating arrangements, and DJ playlists.  It was fun to look through for a few minutes, and then they got tossed.  The seating arrangement did NOT matter – what mattered was that we had 100 people that loved us there to celebrate on our big day.  No one remembers where they sat.

Continuing along those same lines, I opened the box that I had been avoiding the longest, a box that made me cringe – my wedding bouquet…

We left for our honeymoon at 6am the morning after our wedding, and in the madness of the post-wedding cleanup, I never thought to consider what I wanted to do with my flowers.  So while we were off enjoying the Caribbean, my bouquet hung out in a jar of water getting slimy and moldy – as it still remains today.

Wouldn’t I prefer to remember my gorgeous flowers they way that they looked on that special day?  Perhaps like this…

download

Or like this…

download (1)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for keepsakes and special memories, and there are still lots of things I hold on to.  But at this point in my life, they need to be things that truly make my life better, not just things I’m holding on to because I feel bad throwing them away.  And did it hurt to toss my beloved peonies?

I will admit it, yes, a little.  But now that the trash has been taken out, do I still care?  NO.  My mom made my bouquet for me with nothing but heart and love.  And I carried it down the aisle towards Casey on the most special day of my life.  And those memories are enough to let me walk with it one last time, and then move on…

IMG_9665 (475x640) (475x640)

For this move to DC next week, we are doing a major downsize.  I think it is a total blessing in disguise, because it has forced us to really take a look at what we’re bringing with us.  For each item I question, I try to really consider:  is this something we use?  Does it make our lives better or easier?  Or do I kind of cringe when I think about still having it?

We have been together almost 5 years now, so a lot of our stuff is still the merged leftovers fr
om our initial move-in.  Furniture that doesn’t really match, a couch we’ve been sitting on for 5 years, and other things that just aren’t really our style anymore.  Enter the wonderful world of CRAIGSLIST.  If you list it, they will come – seriously.

But they key is to start early.  For the past two weeks, I have listed over half of our furniture (old junk we didn’t want anymore), various decorative items, sports equipment – you name it.  One week out, I’ve sold most of our big ticket items, and a ton of small stuff too.  And you know what that is, friends?

That is cold, hard cash.  To the tune of over $1,000!  And what I didn’t sell got carted off to Goodwill in a packed SUV this afternoon.  Honestly though, the cash is just an added bonus.  The real benefit is that I have gotten rid of things I didn’t want anymore, and I don’t have to feel guilty about not keeping them.

My beautiful old antique bed from my childhood was no longer my style, but I felt guilty admitting it and getting rid of it.  After a teary phone call to my mom, I ended up selling it on Craigslist to a woman who couldn’t wait to give it to her granddaughter.  It felt so good to know that my bed has a second life to a new little girl who will love it!

And I don’t have to feel bad about not wanting the four giant trash bags of clothes that are too big or not my style anymore, because I took them to Goodwill today so that someone less fortunate can enjoy them.

Wading through the piles of bubble wrap and boxes, I realized this time that what doesn’t matter to me, just might matter to someone else.  So I’ve sold or given those things away, and now I’m left with only the things and people that make me happy.

Oh yeah, and $1,000 to go buy a new couch.

Jessica @ How Sweet     at 7:02 pm

Wow you really made out on Craigslist!

My grandparents moved 16 times throughout their marriage, and when my grandma died suddenly this past Spring, she had NO junk to get rid of. I am positive that moving is the one true way to stay organized and leave material goods behind!

Now I just need to move…

Sonja     at 7:11 pm

Bravo to material purging! Goes right along with one of my favorite quotes….’happiness is not about wanting it all…it’s about wanting what you have.’ (Or something like that!!)

jaclyn @ carolina_vogue     at 7:13 pm

that wedding photo of you is beautiful… and you’re so right, it’s not the material things that matter, but the memories! You’ll always have those no matter where you move :)

Ginna     at 7:28 pm

Totally understand! I JUST parted with my wedding folder a few months ago! We have been giving a lot of stuff away to goodwill…stuff that no one would buy! U must have a good craigslist market in Charlotte…my husband had a barely used motorcycle jacket and helmet that no one would buy so he sold it to a thrift store for basically nothing. So sad :/!

I always have a hard time getting rid of cards but you are right the sentiment is what lasts! I do hang on to those from my hubby though, can’t bring myself to part with those!

Daniel     at 7:28 pm

As I organized my room and cleaned out my dresser drawer I began to feel a wave of minimalism and happiness overcome me. I was able to donate a HUGE garbage bag full of clothes I hadn’t worn in ages and the realization that someone else could be made happy by having them was worth it all. I’ve become less interested in most of my material possessions and this post has inspired me to continue removing some of the harder things to get rid of in my life (read: Power Ranger toys and old books and worksheets from elementary school).

I would be ecstatic if there was someway I could see a smile on each person’s face who uses something that I no longer need and that they can truly make use of. That’s the feeling that matters. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 7:39 pm

I think I need to move to get rid of all the crap we have here! With two growing boys and me (I am a stacker) and my husband (who is a steel case desk horder) we have a load of crap here! I hope you have a good night and get a little relaxing time!

AnneWF     at 7:45 pm

Bravo! Well done! It’s not easy to part with your “things” and your “stuff”. I used to save all my favorite magazines. I was going to look at them again, I was sure. I remember the move when my SIL saw the boxes and boxes of them and said NO WAY was she going to move them and I would be crazy to do the same. She was right. Now if I could only get the other four people in the house to do the same.

Rachel     at 8:00 pm

I love this post. I forget this so much.

You wedding picture is stunning!!! :) such a pretty bride

Angela (the diet book junkie)     at 8:04 pm

i’ve made 2 bigs moves in my life (one across country, one overseas) and that’s when i realized the stuff you think you need, you really don’t. and i’m much happier when i’m not cluttered with “stuff”. i can breathe! :)

gorgeous wedding dress, btw! i couldn’t keep my bouquet. we got married in Fiji and when we got back to Sydney, plants weren’t allowed in the country. sigh…. :)

Jen     at 8:18 pm

This is such a good message. And I’m showing this post to my hoarder husband ;)

Angie     at 8:25 pm

Great post! I’m moving too, and after four years in the same apartment, I’ve accumulated so much stuff. It’s been hard throwing things away, but once I do, I don’t even think twice about it. Good luck with the move! I’m moving this Sunday to my first apartment with the boy (eek). :)

Elsa     at 8:32 pm

Awesome! I love this post! Probably because I can relate! We are moving from Idaho to Maui in the next few months – taking nothing more than our 2 dogs, 2 cars, and 2 suitcases for each of us. I am totally with you – the memories matter more than the physical items. And it is so interesting to see what items you do value when it really comes down to it. Thanks for a great, insightful post!

Erin     at 8:32 pm

Such a great post. I suddenly feel the urge to clean!! And you were SUCH a beautiful bride!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 8:37 pm

Great post. My husband and I just moved as well and it was a big downsize. We went from a house that was way to big for two people to a 1 bedroom apartment. During this process we tried to purge as much as possible but unfortunately my in-laws basement is still filled with a lot of “stuff.” I can’t wait to get down to their place and REALLY purge before we move again.. which will inevitably happen again next summer — but this time for more than a year! John and I both definitely have a moving pattern like yours and we can’t wait to get settled somewhere!

Have fun picking out a couch–we still have yet to own one — it’s ridiculous, we sit in two chairs lol.

Chase @ The C Ihase Project     at 8:40 pm

I just did the same thing when I move in with my boyfriend in June. We had duplicates of everything and purged a LOT. It felt so good. I had a yard sale and sold a bunch of stuff! As I’ve gotten older, the material possessions are so less important. If I had to evacuate today, I’d take my dog and some clothes to keep me warm. The rest is just…. stuff.

Chase @ The Chase Project     at 8:44 pm

Note: I have no idea how that errant I showed up in my name =)

Emily     at 9:01 pm

Ahh…that is such a good reminder. I love your point about the cards because I am also a saver of those and need to get rid of them pronto! Thanks!

Lee     at 9:17 pm

I wish my husband would catch on to your philosophy. He is such a packrat. He has a million concert t-shirts that are all old and ratty and he refuses to give up because they are sentimental to him.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I got rid of all my race tshirts, except the marathon ones. I have kept them for YEARS and never worn them – so unnecessary!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) Reply:

I did a post on turning old t-shirts into reusable grocery bags! Perhaps that’ll make better use of them? Although it still takes up space :)

Lee Reply:

I do remember seeing that post! That’s a good idea. I’ve also thought about turning them into a quilt. Or rather, paying some company to turn them into a quilt!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have considered the quilt for years, which is why I’ve carried them around. I finally just admitted that I was never going to do it! I like the shopping bag idea though – very creative.

Susan Reply:

There are tons of creative individuals who sew… Look up “modern quilting” on the web and you could find someone who could have those shirts turned into a quilt in no time!

Chelsey     at 9:20 pm

I totally throw away everything. I won’t lie though… I still may have an old box of notes from junior high school.

Awesome job on Craigslist – my husband LOVES Craigslist. He sells everything on it!

Christa @ O, Cake!     at 9:31 pm

Totally agree! When I moved in with my boyfriend this past May, I sold a bunch of things on Craigslist. I didn’t make as much as you, but hey, it was something and it was awesome to not have to move as much stuff! And I love cleaning out my closet, too!

christina cadden     at 9:59 pm

I hate moving! However, we are redoing our house and I am trying to de-clutter as we go along.

Tina     at 10:12 pm

I agree on all that. I know to go ahead and toss things I know I won’t go back and look at. Whenever I go through things while cleaning/organizing/moving I go by the rule that if I forgot it was there, it goes in the trash (or donation if applicable). I can’t stand a ton of clutter.

Anne @ a daily slice     at 10:32 pm

I sooo need to do this. There’s a huge box of stuff I haven’t looked at in 2 years, but I can’t bear to get rid of. It’s time to take the plunge!

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie     at 10:38 pm

I’m about to move in a few days as well, and I’m going through a “stuff purging” also.
I’ve been working on parting with things I no longer need/use, and I’m going to use your “material things don’t matter” attitude to have the courage to part with certain things!
I don’t need to hold on to un-usable objects that remind me of certain people or events. The memories will always be there anyway. For really special memories I have pictures, which take up so much less space than lots of stuff!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Exactly! And you can even TAKE pictures of bigger items you want to remember, but don’t necessarily want to cart around anymore.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 10:59 pm

Emily! I am printing out this blog post. Literally. And reading it every day haha. I am trying to pack up my room/life/6th grade self and it’s been SO FRUSTRATING (I’ve been at it for months….months). I have piles upon piles of crap that just need to be thrown away. Cards, photos, diaries and the whole shabang. The problem is I have a hard time letting go. I always think to myself I will want to read it later. But you’ve totally inspired me. I’m going to take photos of my precious treasure in trash bags!

I also got a tip to have a bag of throw/give away stuff. Then go back to it 3 days later and if you still don’t want it, you toss it. That way, when you’re throwing it away it doesn’t seem as permanent. Chances are when you go back to it, you’ll forget you even threw it away (because it was so insignificant).

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have a few boxes of junk in my mom’s basement and I keep telling her to just THROW THEM away! Obviously if I dont even know what’s in them, I certainly don’t want any of it. She is the biggest hoarder of all, and I think the reason I am SO willing to get rid of things is that she won’t, haha.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) Reply:

Funny you say that because I definitely got my hoarding qualities from my dad…and it didn’t work the other way like you and your mom. Just the other day I actually said I needed to get rid of a lot of my clothes and he was like ‘nooooooo!’ even though I haven’t worn some of it in a long time. Someone out there really does need it more than I do though.

mom Reply:

Hey!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Sorry mom! You know it’s true. :)

Summer     at 12:10 am

Good for you, Emily! I save everything :( And I’ve moved a LOT. This last move that I made, I tried to say “no more!” While I still had a lot of stuff, I got rid of a ton, too. As for the things packed away, I told myself that if I didn’t know it was there, I don’t need it.

Can’t wait to hear more about new adventures after the move!

Kim     at 5:45 am

My husband and I recently moved, too, and I totally cleaned out stuff just the same. It feels refreshing, even as it feels sentimental and a little hard!

JL Goes Vegan     at 7:42 am

Moving is so stressful! You’re handling it great!

Morgan M     at 7:55 am

Hi Emily!

I have been reading your blog for a while and love it! Good luck with your move!

I live in washington dc and wanted to tell you about the BEST yoga studio. It is in falls church virginia (east falls church metro stop on the orange line) and is called Dancing Mind Yoga. It is a hot baptiste power vinyasa studio and it is AWESOME! I just started going there 3 months ago and am hooked!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Omg! How fun! Perhaps not too far from Alexandria? Can we go there together when I move? I have never tried baptiste – I’m scared. :)

Morgan M Reply:

Yes! You will love it!!! I used to live in Del Ray (right next to old town) and it would take me about 25 minutes to drive to the studio–it is absolutely worth it!!!! Lets definitely go!!

FUN – can’t wait!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble)     at 8:04 am

What a great post. It is SO hard to let go of things, but you really have the right idea- some things are really important [people, relationships]… material things are NOT as important as we think. I’ll have to take this into account when I move in January! :)

xo
Kris

Anne     at 8:13 am

You don’t have recycling where you live ?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

No…we do? I guess I thought that garbage/recycle was implied – I recycle all our cans, glass, and things like that.

Anne Reply:

Oh sorry, I live in montreal and maybe it’s different here. All papers-plastic, well about everything go in the recycling bag ;-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh well that makes sense. :) No here we can just recycle specific plastic and glass type things. Although I am trying to throw in some of our paper and see if they will take it! Our cans are OVER-flowing!! I need it to be trash night! :)

Mimi     at 8:54 am

I used to have so much trouble letting things go. In time, I’ve realized that it’s my memories, not paper and items, that mean a lot. Basically, exactly what you articulated!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:07 am

i love this. i really need to go thru things here again. we moved into our current apt in dec & will probably live here until at least may 2012 unless things drastically change. i do not want to take everything with us then so i need to purge now. fun fun :)

Chrissy (The New Me)     at 9:27 am

I love moving because I love getting rid of things. Unfortunately I’ve been in the same apartment for five years, but that hasn’t stopped me from having a yearly go-through of our things.

The only downside of being a compulsive thrower-outer is that my partner is a pack rat, and I often “accidentally” throw out things he was saving for “something important.” Oops! ;)

Jaime     at 10:39 am

Amen, sister!

Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy     at 10:42 am

I used to keep things all the time but I am learning to let go. Now I just keep things that are really important and we always have regular clear-outs to make sure that we aren’t keeping hold of things that we don’t use or need.

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 10:50 am

such an awesome post! You are inspiring me to clean out junk and remember the moments, the people, the feelings and ditch the physical things that I never look at anyway!

Good luck with the rest of packing!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum     at 10:51 am

I need to do that. I am definintely a card-holder. :/ But we do a lot of craigslisting and it’s the best thing ever!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing     at 10:54 am

Great post Emily! I’m moving on Tuesday and you’re right, it’s a PAIN. But, the upside is it allows for a major cleanse of belongings and it’s so nice to start off in a brand new place without so much clutter.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 10:59 am

Good for you!! I”m so impressed. I am totally guilty of holding on to everything. I have candy wrappers from first dates in high school, dried flowers, and so much more…. I can’t bring myself to let go yet… but I could totally get rid of some of the junk I have before I end up on Hoarders :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG, candy wrappers? Don’t make me come over there…. :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 11:07 am

Unreal. I would love to purge, but the memories are just *too* much for me, and I hold on… but I’ll come back to this post in May when I move, and if I’m lucky, maybe I’ll be inspired to get more ruthless with the past…

Jean     at 11:10 am

I’m quite familiar with the moving process myself. I have not lived in the same place for more than a year for the past 5-6 years (O, the NYC housing market).

But I do give you props for being able to throw out alot of your old belongings. You are a brave soul. I’m still holding on to cards and other junk from the past, and they never come out of the shoeboxes under my bed.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Exactly! Don’t even open them – just throoooow them out! :)

Ashley     at 11:31 am

LOVED this post. From beginning to end. Wow, I thought I was getting rid of a lot!! I think I need to reevaluate even more. I love how you thought about the things you were getting rid of. It makes so much sense. Have a great weekend!! :)

Julia     at 11:43 am

Emily – I’ve been waiting for this post, thank you! This is so inspiring :) We’re moving in a month to a slightly larger place, but I want to bring less stuff with us. We’re also recently married and still merging our lives and home :) The place we’re moving to will be put on the market in the spring – so I need to learn to de-clutter NOW.
Any tips for storing the papers and things we use day to day that look so cluttery?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh man, still working on that. Planning a major office reorganization when we move, so hopefully I’ll be wise when it’s finished! :)

Stephanie @ Single in the City     at 12:00 pm

This is one of the reasons I love to move! I have purged so much over the years and have stopped myself from buying frivolous things as well, knowing in the grand scheme of life, owning it and barely using it wouldn’t matter.

I’m excited to start purging more junk in anticipation of moving in February. My destination is still unknown, but I feel safe in saying that I’ll arrive with only necessities and a happy heart!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Selling off all this stuff has definitely made me think twice about what we spend our money on in the future. We have wasted soooo much on junk we didn’t need.

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 12:07 pm

Throwing out stuff can feel so cleansing. And congrats on the money!

Jessica (electropositive)     at 12:18 pm

This post couldn’t have come at a better time for me! Thank you!

I have been living in an apartment for over a year now, and my parents have finally decided they wanted to use my childhood room…meaning all my stuff (that I have lived happily without for a YEAR) came to my tiny apartment. Let me tell you, I was an art major in college, and the sheer amount of STUFF that produced was nuts. Let alone all the artwork I made (which is being slowly edited down…obviously a lot is staying)…the supplies are nuts (why do I have 11 white plastic 99c erasers?

I definitely need to be thoughful about my “new” old stuff, thanks for the reminder to stay sane! I’m a neat freak and minimalism suits me too!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ugh, my mom keeps threatening to do the same thing. I keep telling her to JUST THROW IT AWAY!! And I totally have an eraser collection back at my mom’s house, too. Haha.

Andrea     at 12:37 pm

Yes, yes, yes. You are right on with this post. I am of this “purge-crazy” mindset most of the time. My husband teases me…if it’s not nailed down, Andrea will pitch it. But, the clutter in our life takes away from all of the special moments we should be focusing on.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

TOTALLY agree. Without the clutter, you can focus on the people and the moments.

Melissa     at 1:49 pm

Hi Emily – I too have been reading your blog for a while, but have never commented. I just want thank you for this post! I’m not even moving, but I always think about all of the stuff I never use (and how I desperately want to get rid of it) — but feel guilty for wanting to toss sentiment aside. Onwards!

On another note, I have lived in DC for almost 10 years and I’m a vegetarian. If you ever need local food tips, I’m your girl! Nom nom.

-Melissa

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

AWESOME – we need to go out to eat! :)

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 1:54 pm

I can’t believe you still have your bouquet! I hold onto things for a long time and definitely have cards from so many birthdays. I find it hard to part with them but the truth is, how often will I go back and read them? Glad you’ve been able to successfully downsize.

kathleen     at 2:12 pm

My husband tragically passed away when I was 31 and he was 32, we had been together for 9 years. I put the majority of our belongings into a 10×20 ft. storage locker and just paid the fee each month. I needed a fresh start, but couldn’t say goodbye to “our” stuff. I had a lot of grief to work through. $17,000 later, and I wish that was a typo…I got the courage to go through it with family and friends. 5 trips to the dump, 3 garage sales, 2 trucks to donation stops, a car load to shredding and the relief I felt after it was all over was like the weight of the world was lifted. For 8 years I associated the stuff with the memories and that’s just not the case. I admire your ability to see through that early in life…way to go Emily! The memories are embedded in your heart, you don’t need the actual stuff. Empowering for sure. Great post.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

oh my god, literally sobbing through this response. that is sooo sad, and yet so amazing that you were able to make peace with it and realize that he would have wanted you to move on. if my husband died, I’m sure I would spend $17,000 to store the memories for a while too. sending a BIG virtual hug your way!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 2:34 pm

Awesome job! I’m usually pretty good at letting go of material things, especially when I move, but I admit to having a box of cards I’ve been keeping forever. Maybe it’s time to let those go too. Great post :-)

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean     at 3:32 pm

ohh well done you! i’m IMPRESSED! you’ve been ruthless and rational, something that is so hard to do sometimes but is totally worth and and the benefits are great! moving is going to be so much easier for you now!

Jenn (eating bender)     at 4:03 pm

As someone calls herself a “pack rat,” I TRULY appreciated and needed this post. I have boxes upon boxes of stuff crammed into my and my fiance’s tiny one bedroom apartment. Poor guy – I need to benefit from your philosophy and clean up shop!

A new reader but have heard wonderful things about you from many, many people :) I’m only sorry we didn’t get to meet at the HLS!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I am sad we didn’t meet too! Glad to know you’ve heard good things. Whew! :)

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl     at 4:04 pm

Good job! I remember how hard it can be! Just a year ago, when we moved from our apartment to our first home, I parted with a ton of stuff from my wedding – including the flowers.

I was totally okay with the stuff I was getting rid of until I broke one of our champagne flutes that I was moving into be bubble wrapped – that’s when I lost it. Then I realized that it really is just STUFF. I have the memories and those can never be thrown away :)

That is a great idea to hang on to the memories and not the stuff. Especially because you took pictures of it! You can always look back at those pictures to remember the piles and piles of stuff you got rid of! I keep trying to convince my husband to do this…I think I’m going to e-mail him this blog!

Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone     at 9:10 pm

Great post! It reminds me of how I have been wanting and needing to do this as well. I didn’t do this before moving to our house and EEK!, it was pretty crazy. The major go-through felt great and I need to do one again. Certain things though I will save: concert tickets, a few pressed flowers from when my husband and I first started dating, some misc toys and games from when I was a kid for when we have kids.

I never kept my wedding bouquet. I didn’t buy one of those “throw bouquets”. I launched the real one over my head. :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 12:57 pm

I want to see more wedding photos! : )

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com     at 12:00 pm

Excellent post!!!! I love the wedding pics too! It’s so important to remember that material things are NOT important! I am all about that concept lately and throwing things AWAY!

Facebook.com/FITori
Twitter.com/FITori

carole     at 10:28 am

any advie for someone new to craigslist? Were you scared to use it after all the bad press a couple of years ago????

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You can pretty much tell is someone is a scammer or a sketchball through email. I just wait to see if they are really interested and seem normal before I give my address. And I only have people come over when Casey is home too. I’ve sold a LOT of stuff and never felt scared!

Alex     at 11:24 pm

I’m packing up my life right now to move across the country for grad school and I just wanted to say how helpful this post was. As I sort through my belongings, I keep thinking about what you wrote about stuff not being important and its helped me through out tons of old papers/ clothes- thanks! I hope your move is going well! :)

Michael McPherson     at 4:15 pm

This web page is really a stroll-through for the entire data you wanted about this and didnít know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also youíll undoubtedly uncover it.