The Beginning of the Move & The Next Step.

Let the chaos begin!  The packing/selling/organizing phase has started and the house is in shambles.  I’m okay with it though, because it is making everything feel very real and exciting.  Just for fun, let’s take a short trip down memory lane, at my last ten-ish years of moving.

• 1999 – 2003:  the college years involved two moves each year, one into a dorm room, one home for the summer.  I never lived in the same place twice – sorry, mom!
  • May 2003:  Move to Topsail, North Carolina with my best friend as part of our post-college rebellion/denial.  We worked as maid in a hotel – best summer of my life.
  • September 2003:  Move back home with my mom.  Depression ensues.
  • November 2003:  Get my 1st apartment with same best friend (Lindsey).
  • August 2005:  Lindsey and I decide we are bored with our apartment, and move 2 blocks away to a much bigger and nicer space.
  • June 2007:  Take the plunge to move in with Casey, my boyfriend of 1.5 years at the time.  Lindsey and I finally move apart after 8 hilarious years together, and she gets an apartment just down the street.  :)
  • August 2008:  Casey and I realize we hate our first dingy, out of date house, so after a year there we decided to move to a much nicer one less than a mile away.  This also marks the first time I moved outside of the zip code I grew up in – big moment for me.
  • August 2009:  Life throws a curveball and we move to North Carolina in a 24 foot moving truck.
  • September 2010:  We are moving to Alexandria, VA in less than two weeks!

Despite all of my moves and experience, sometimes you just can’t avoid your house turning into something that looks like this…

Or this…

Why is it that when you’re moving you discover that you have way more STUFF than two people should ever own?  Seriously – who needs this much gift wrap?  And why is it so unorganized?

Perhaps I should I be concerned that my packing mania has prompted Casey to hang a Do Not Disturb sign on his desk, facing in my direction?

Or that my desk has become so cluttered with things I am avoiding that my actual laptop has become a landing zone for dishes?  Good thing I have two keyboards!

Believe it or not, there IS a method to my madness.  In fact, I’m going to do a few posts on how to move and keep your sanity!  Ironic, right?  :)  The dogs are NOT happy about the boxes coming out, I think they are sensing the change that is about to come.  I keep telling them that they will love our new place so much more!

And speaking of what comes next, let’s talk about that for a minute.  Here is a quick Q&A on the details of our move, since these are the questions that we get asked most frequently…

1.  Didn’t you JUST move to Charlotte?  Why are you leaving already?

Yes, we “just” moved to Charlotte, almost exactly one year ago.  Although if you look at my history, a year is actually a pretty long time.  We moved here for the purpose of going to school at JWU and UNCC, and now that both of our programs are over, there is nothing specifically tying us to Charlotte anymore.  In the year that we’ve been here, I think we’ve both grown to realize that we are more urban/city folk than we originally thought.  While the ‘burbs and the country sounded good at the time, it’s just not the right fit for us.  We have made wonderful friends here in Charlotte that I am very sad to leave, but they are also good enough friends to know that we need to try something else.  And they have all promised to visit!

2.  So you’re leaving Charlotte, but why DC?  What is there?

Well first of all, what ISN’T there!?!  We are both really active, and also both really nerdy.  The thought of having unlimited access to free museums gives me chills.  When we decided we were going to leave Charlotte, the next obvious step was choosing where to go.  Originally we planned on moving to the west coast, but our families weren’t exactly thrilled about the idea.  Afraid that I would never see my mom again, we switched gears to our favorite east coast city – Washington, DC.  No, we don’t have jobs or family there, we just love it.  And for me, that is enough.

3.  So what will you guys be doing in DC then?

Ahhh the job question.  First of all, we live a very portable lifestyle, which makes big transitions less difficult for us.  Casey works from home as a consultant, so he can literally take his job anywhere.  We also choose to rent houses instead of buy them, which makes picking up and leaving as easy as 30 days notice.

Casey will be continuing to do what he does here in Charlotte – consulting for his company based back in Ohio.  As for me, I’m going to try working at home for a bit too.  I’ve been lucky enough that through the blog and some good publicity, I’ve gotten a few freelance jobs writing articles and recipes for a few publications.  I’m going to explore those for a while and try to grow my freelance career.  My hope has always been to cook and write about my style of food, never to work late night kitchen hours or be a line cook.  And with a little momentum, that hope is actually starting
to come true…

My other plan is to greatly increase the attention I can give The Front Burner.  It has grown and changed into something I really love, and I’m hoping that with almost full-time attention, I can make it into all that I know it can be.  What that means is a LOT more posting, more recipes, more tutorials – more, more more.

I know you guys love recipes and how-to’s, so I’m planning to have a least a few each week to help keep your mouth watering.  I hope to continue to cook and expand my culinary repertoire by experimenting and playing with food – just in my own kitchen this time, instead of the farm.  For now, I think I have plenty of things to keep life busy and interesting.

Thank YOU readers for helping me through each and every transition, and for helping me make my dreams into realities.  The journey is only fun because we’re doing it together.

—–

And with that, I’m off to start my day with a bit of relaxing yoga, before another day of moving and packing ensues.  Happy Saturday!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 9:10 am

I wish we had a little more flexibility now to move. We had kids when we were younger, so moving now is really hard. Hopefully we will be able to do more of that later though. My parents live in Leesburg, VA and love it. It is quite beautiful there and so close to DC. Good luck with the packing!

Allie     at 9:12 am

good luck packing! i have moved about as much as you, and the one thing that i have liked about the process is it has given me the opportunity to live a much more streamlined and simple life. through each move i have given away clothes i really don’t wear, and now when i buy things i always think do is this something i like enough that i’d want to move it (this has helped a lot with crazy impulse kitchen purchases!).

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 9:19 am

I’m so excited for your new adventure!

Hubbs & I have the same dream of becoming ‘portable’ and being able to experience a few other cities before “settling down”.

Have fun :)

Maryann     at 9:31 am

Emily,
I’ve never been to DC in my 58 years but hope to soon. My niece lives and works in the D/C VA area and loves it. She’s 25 soon to be 26. My nephew also worked in the D/C zoo as a zoologist for primates. Now relocated to San Diego CA also his wife is from there. He does love San Diego.
Anyway we sure do look forward to your new blogging and more recipes. I love how you show it being made it does help a lot.
Safe trip.
From gal in Lancaster County

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hellooooo Lancaster! :) I am super excited to go to the DC Zoo – it’s FREE to the public!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats     at 9:37 am

First of all – Casey’s sign is hilarious. I’m surprised my husband hasn’t done that yet. ;)

Second – I completely understand. We got a lot of questions when we just moved, too, as 2 summers ago we moved cities, last summer we moved cities, and now we just moved cities AGAIN. But you have to do what’s right for you, whether it be for social, family, job, school, or whatever opportunities. :) That said, I am a little excited that my school program in Jacksonville is going to take a few years, because that means I won’t have to pack up and move for another few years. Yes!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Glad to hear I’m not the only one! Our families think we are insane :/ One of my best friends is in Jacksonville! We’ll have to have lunch next time I’m down there.

Lindsey @ Sound Eats     at 9:38 am

P.S. Good luck with the freelancing career! I know you’ll make it work! :)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 9:40 am

So this means we get MORE recipes from you? Oh, how exciting!!

Leianna     at 9:41 am

I’ve moved just about as much as you have and it does get easier and easier!
I love D.C. too, been there twice when my mom knew someone in the Secret Service, all the tours and museums are endless and being active is so easy!
Good luck with everything!

Lee     at 10:03 am

It’s funny, I grew up in the DC suburbs and all I wanted to do was move away! But I can totally see the appeal of the city and sometimes I do think about moving back.

coco     at 10:10 am

DC is such a great city to live for someone active like you, you’ll going to love it! I can’t wait to meet you!!! :D did u find the house/apartment already? Do you know which neighbor are u going to be?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We will be in Old Town! Can’t wait to meet you too :)

coco Reply:

oh.. I love old town… my fav place in DC. Georgetown or Alexandria?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Alexandria! We looked in Georgetown too, but ultimately decided we needed something more walkable. From our house now, we can walk to the water or the Metro – heaven!

Lea     at 10:10 am

One of the things that frustrate me is the actual packing and moving. I used to hate change and fight it with all my might. After last year, everything changed and I now have a more relax attitude with moving, going with the flow and being at the right place so I can be happy.

Good luck in your new home in DC. I’ve never been and always wanted to travel there.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have always been a bad packer/mover too. For some reason this time I am much more calm about it. Perhaps I am growing up? :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 10:11 am

Having the flexibility to choose where you go is *awesome*! Moving is less fun, but I definitely see the allure of relocating… and DC has such great restos, too

Rachel     at 10:16 am

I love that the front burner is growing and expanding! im sure you are excited for your move to DC. It seems like some people who have never been just don’t understand the allure the city has! so much to do, see, explore, and eat!!!

Have fun with the experience!

Anne     at 10:19 am

Good luck with all of the packing/organizing! I don’t envy you that part, but the moving is always exciting. I am so happy for you guys – DC is such a great city. :)

Kristy @ KristyRuns.com     at 10:20 am

Wow. This post is so motivating. It really inspires me to move out west. My husband and I feel such a connection to the Colorado/Utah area, and there’s nothing really keeping us here in Atlanta anymore. Hmmmmm…decisions, decisions. :)

DO IT. :)

JL goes Vegan     at 10:24 am

This is so great for you and FAB news for , us, your readers! I learn so much from your blog and look forward to more!

Awww thank you!

Jaclyn     at 10:39 am

You’re going to love Alexandria! I’ve been living in DC, Arlington and Alexandria respectively for the past 7 years and I haven’t run out of things to do yet. It’s a great place for the active/nerdy. =D

LOVE it – I can’t wait!

Luisa Reply:

I totally agree that it’s an awesome place for the active/nerdy! So many free museums, and beautiful buildings. The zoo is an amazing place to run in the fall when it’s not crowded, too. I live a couple blocks from there, and run there all the time–the crazy animal noises easily keep you distracted.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh fun – maybe we can do zoo runs together! I have heard it is a perfect running spot.

andi @ livelaughbefit Reply:

totally late to the party but i’ve been in the nova area for 6 years and ditto above–always stuff to do and it’s always exciting, and a VERY active community. i think the thing that’s hard for some people to adjust to is how political we are up in here (at least that’s what my inlaws say when they come down and go out on the town with us. makes me laugh because i don’t see it).

anyway–welcome! yay! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome! We are so excited!!

SentimentsbyDenise     at 10:44 am

So exciting to hear about the next phase of your journey! I hope you have a successful and productive move to DC. Looking forward to reading about it on the blog!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward     at 10:51 am

Wow, I am so excited about what the future holds for you AND The Front Burner!

Mary Ann     at 11:14 am

Best wishes to you and Casey as you begin a new adventure together. Your house photos remind me to clean my house again and make it more ‘wabi sabi’.
What an exciting time in your life. Good Luck!

Maissa     at 11:48 am

Best of luck moving! I have only been to DC once, but I loved it.

I’m excited to see where you take your blog in the next year!

ME TOO! Thanks :)

Chelsey     at 11:50 am

I think you moving to DC is super exciting! It’s an awesome city and I’m so happy for you that your blog has taken off!

Aimee     at 11:56 am

So excited to hear about upcoming expansion plans for your blog– I have been reading since before your wedding on Marrying, Marathoning and Milestones so to see you morph that into this and the plans ahead? Amazing!
Interesting to hear about Casey’s consulting position. I had assumed he was just doing school like you, so to hear you were moving to DC made me wonder where the big bucks for DC-area rent were coming from… now it all makes sense. And awesome that you’re getting more freelance work. Working from home can be great if you have the motivation– I know I would need the structure and accountability of a job outside the home to keep me from lounging about in my jammies all day watching reruns of Jersey Shore instead of working! ;)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh wow, that’s awesome! I LOVE my CinWeekly readers – so cool. You guys must all think I’m insane. :) Casey actually did full time school AND full time work – he barely slept all year. Now that his program is done, he’s just continuing to work for a bit. We have also saved a lot and budgeted well to make this move a possibility.

On the working from home front, I probably won’t watch Jersey Shore, but I never claimed I was going to get out of my pajamas. :)

Kim     at 12:41 pm

Hi Emily,

Just letting you know how much I enjoy your blog. I am a 44 year old single mom in Kirkland, WA (suburb of Seattle)and I work full time. Any ideas you have for meal prep short cuts and/or organization tips really resonate with me.

Keep up the great work!
:) Kim

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Kim! That is so great to hear! I will work on meal prep and short cuts as soon as I get to my new kitchen. :)

Ginna     at 12:46 pm

Good luck with the move! I know how you feel doing 2 moves in the last few years but thousands of miles away. Some people think my husband and I are crazy for moving and picking far way places but we like the adventure. I don’t know how you guys move yourselves though! We are lucky that the military pays for our moves, making it a little less stressful. I want to know your tips on unpacking quickly, we still have boxes to unpack! GOOD LUCK!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Everyone thinks we are crazy. :)

Ida     at 12:50 pm

good luck with the move! DC is a great choice, I lived there for 6 years and loved it. I am actually in SF now, and I think DC is better (except for the weather).

That is definitely a lot of moving! My husband and I are actually currently thinking of moving and I’m a little sad. Not about leaving where we are, but this is the place that we have lived together the longest.

And I agree, we have way more stuff that two people need! I’m already looking around wondering how we acquired so much junk.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I know what you mean about the sadness. I was really sad to leave the house where Casey proposed to me, but I just reminded myself that I get to keep HIM, and that’s the most important part. :)

Amber K Reply:

Aww, so true!

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair     at 1:03 pm

I’m a new reader so it was cool to learn this about you. I think it’s great you guys are moving to a new city that will suit your lifestyle better! Good luck with your move :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Welcome, welcome! And thank you.

kathleen     at 1:06 pm

Exciting stuff! Looking forward to more posts and following you on your new adventure. I love D.C., my late husband’s family worked behind the scenes as curators at some of the Smithsonian museums, so we got the uber cool tours. Definitely lots to do and see. Good luck with the packing.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I want the uber cool tours – sounds amazing!

Chase (TheChaseProject)     at 1:19 pm

I love that you guys just decided to move to DC on a whim. What an amazing luxury to have that flexibility! I’ve only been here (officially) for 2 months, but I have absolutely loved exploring all that is DC. I met up with a friend for a run this morning and on the drive to take her home, saw all these great areas of town I’ve never even known about. It’s a remarkable city.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

And soon enough you can meet up with ME for morning runs! :)

Chase (TheChaseProject) Reply:

Yay! Can’t wait! =)

Megan     at 2:05 pm

So, I think we are moving twins! I have moved a ton of times since college, moved to NYC last year and due to job transfers are packing up and planning a move to Detroit next month. It is a hard and frustrating process but I think it helps me to de-clutter my life each time I move.
Also, each move is a new adventure! I will be excited to see what kind of advice you have on moving. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Amen – I am selling the clutter piece by piece!

Julie @ Pickley Pear     at 2:11 pm

That is A LOT of moving! Good luck. I’m envious that you can just get up and move. I’m “stuck” in Michigan with a bf that has a fab job and I have a fab job and as much as we both ‘love’ our jobs, we aren’t spontaneous to move away. Enjoy DC!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We’re trying to do it now while we can!

Sara     at 2:49 pm

Hi Emily,
I’ve been reading for a while but I think this is my first comment! I just wanted to let you know that I love reading your blog and am excited that you’re planning to expand! I like your blog because you’re not only knowledgeable about all things FOOD but also a fantastic writer. Your recipes are very easy to follow and not at all intimidating. You seem to get that a lot of us are petrified by seemingly complex recipes and your step-by-step instrucions are always very reassuring — you CAN do this! :) I made the zucchini “pasta” a few days ago and will be making it regularly from low on. SO yummy and SO (surprisingly) easy.
Good luck with the packing and the move!

Sara Reply:

NOW on, not LOW on. Sorry, I’m on a bus right now!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Sara! Thanks for commenting. :) I’m so glad you like the blog, and it’s good to hear such helpful feedback.

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean     at 4:44 pm

oh good luck with teh packing, this is the nightmare part! but focus on the fun bit, setting up the new pad! x

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 5:07 pm

I hear ya on the “stuff” thing. I have at least six big plastic bins of stuff in our basement storage area that I’ve barely touched since I moved in almost two years ago now. My goal is to go through it and winnow it down BEFORE we have any moving plans, but you know how that goes.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Barf, I am going through bins just like that right now. Forcing myself to GET RID of all of it! Clearly if it’s in bins, I don’t use it!

Claire @ Low Impact Fashionista     at 6:32 pm

You are such an inspiration. I love that you have the confidence to just up and move- and I cannot wait for more recipes/blog posts! Thank you for reassuring me that I made the right choice by choosing a major I loved (art) and not worrying about the outcome since so far it has worked fabulously for you to follow your dreams and work hard.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

THANK you. I guess I just feel like we have nothing to lose by trying something new. :) You will be SO much happier following a path that is your passion in the long run. Trust me.

R @ learningasichop.wordpress.com     at 7:47 pm

I LOVE the Do Not Disturb sign. Classic!

kellie     at 9:12 pm

Hi Emily!
I am so excited you are planning on expanding your blog! i am totally obsessed with it already, so the fact that you are going to have more recipes and fun ideas to sift through is even all the more justification that i check in on it as often as i do :) thanks for everything!
a loyal follower,
kellie

yay – thanks Kellie!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:56 pm

I hope whoever I end up with is as flexible about moving for me and whatever I plan do to (or vice versa) as you and Casey are together. :-) I know it can be scary, but knowing you’re in it together and will be with each other no matter where that might be, that’s beautiful.

Sheila Viers | Live Well 360     at 1:56 am

I love the do not disturb sign. :-)

My husband and I packed up our car, shipping 6 big boxes ahead of us when we moved to CA from MI. We sold pretty much everything else (except a few momentos that we gave to our parents to put in their basements). ;-) I know what it feels like to make a big move. Congrats on going for it. I wish you guys much success in DC!

Thanks Sheila!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 3:26 pm

i feel ya on the stuff thing. i’d love to downsize already and we’ve only been married (and living together) for 15 months. i can’t imagine what it’ll be like when there’s more than 2 of us… good luck!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We’ve been married 15 months too! We are getting rid of a TON.

Laura (spokesnoats)     at 5:30 pm

I just found your blog about a week ago and today I was reading Better Homes and Gardens and there it was again. The Front Burner! Congrats on your blogs success. It definitely seems like you’ve establish quite a bit of momentum with your blog that will surely fuel your freelance career. Keep up the good work.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh wow – how cool! Welcome to the blog. :) Hope you stick around for a while!

Valerie     at 9:35 pm

Emily – I began reading your blog a few months ago and I really enjoy it! I was thrilled to hear that you are moving to the DC area, I’ve been here for 9 years now and love it. I can’t wait to see and read about your food/health/life adventures here. Count me in for a frozen yogurt or run meet up!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yay – awesome! Can’t wait to mee you!

Sarah     at 9:54 pm

You will love DC and Alexandria!!!

My boyfriend and I used to live in Alexandria until a few months ago when we moved up the Blue/Yellow line to Crystal City.

I miss my runs in that area. It is sooo beautiful!!! Plus people are out jogging, bike riding and walking from 5 am to 9 pm.

You have to run on the Mount Vernon trail towards the city. At one point just north of Old Town you turn a corner and are looking right at the DC skyline. Truly beautiful!!!!

MommyB     at 1:36 am

Hooray for Alexandria!! It’s a great city to live in and you are so DC, I hope you really enjoy it, there are a lot of things I miss about it now being in Charlotte, but now that we have two beautiful girls I am enjoying less traffic and more quiet of Southern living. Best wishes and if you’re ever interested I know a couple of people at NPR.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awesome, thanks so much! :)

Elli D.     at 4:41 pm

You seem to have A LOT of experience with moving, wow. I don’t know many people who have moved so many times during their life, really. But honestly, your home is not messy at all(I don’t see why you think it is) – trust me, some houses look like that even though their owners are not moving anywhere.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hahaha I guess that’s true. I’m a minimalist. :)