A Walker’s Paradise.

We have a fabulous new addition to our home.  Can you see it?  I love that I can see it from the reflection of Casey’s computer next to me…

I’m willing to take the risk of showing a tiny peek of my house from the outside, because I am so excited about our beautiful FLAG!  There are flags everywhere in Old Town, and the old brick buildings with all the flags makes it feel so colonial and charming.

Every morning I get up and walk the dogs, and I’m truly waiting for someone to reach out and pinch me because this neighborhood just seems too good to be true.  Maybe part of it is that we HATED our neighborhood in Charlotte soooo much.  Either way, I am in heaven.

One of our biggest gripes about our Charlotte house was that we were literally trapped in the suburbs.  You couldn’t walk anywhere, and even walking within the neighborhood itself was dangerous because there were no sidewalks.  Our number one priority for moving was a safe, walkable neighborhood.

One of the tools I used when we were looking at potential homes was the awesome website Walkscore, which calculates the “walkability” of an address based on all of the surrounding schools, shops, restaurants, libraries, etc.  Our current house has a walkscore of 92, or as they call it “A Walker’s Paradise!”  By comparison, our old address has a walkscore of 17 and the description, “Heavily Car-Dependent.”  I’ll take the paradise, please!

One of our goals for our new life in Virginia is to drive as little as possible, and rely on our feet or the Metro for most of our transportation.  Last night was our first opportunity to test out our most recent purchase – a tiny foldable shopping cart!

With so much shopping and several grocery stores less than a mile away, it only makes sense to walk there – it’s so much safer, and we get all sorts of bonus incidental exercise!  Last night we took the cart out for its inaugural stroll…

To another Whole Foods!  I am definitely making up for lost time having not had Whole Foods all last year.

Our grocery strategy here is to go to Whole Foods once a week for one push cart load of bulk items and essentials like Almond milk, canned goods, etc.  Once a month I’ll go to Trader Joe’s and stock up on frozen fruit, rice cakes, and other TJ favorites.  And then twice a week we’re hoping to hit up the Wednesday and Saturday farmer’s markets!  The bulk aisle in WF is small, so I may also look into a few other drive-able options.

Since our kitchen is smaller here, we don’t want to have quite as much excess pantry stuff that we had before.  Our little cart is a good way to ensure we’re only getting what we need, and what we can fit.

With our cart all filled up with goods, we headed back for a nice walk home.

And after a delicious dinner, we all camped out on our new comfy couch.  LOVE those wide cushions!  It feels like a giant bed.

I am sure you were all so sick of hearing me gripe and complain about our Charlotte living situation, so prepare yourselves to hear me oooh and ahh with excitement about our new digs from now on.  :)

Walking to a Farmer’s Market this afternoon – can’t wait to finally have some fresh, local produce.

How important is your neighborhood to you?  Am I the only one that thinks walkability is a BIG deal?

Gwen     at 2:58 pm

I am heavily car reliant – but being in a neighborhood close to shops, restaurants and the grocery store is huge. We are a little too far to walk home with our stuff, but close! Or maybe I’m just too lazy to walk up hill with all my stuff! I live near the Shirlington neighborhood and I love walking down there.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I went out to dinner in Shirlington last time we were visiting here – VERY cute area!

stephanie     at 2:58 pm

Walkability is definitely a big deal for me, especially now that I no longer work in a walkable neighborhood and actually have to drive to work. (I took metro or walked to every job I’ve had since moving to DC.) We thought our next step up from renting our apartment would be to buy a house, but now we’d rather keep renting (either same apartment or a house) until we can afford the ridiculously high house prices if that’s what it takes to stay in a walkable area.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

AGREED. We will rent forever if it means staying in a neighborhood like this. Plus we don’t have to worry when things break! :)

Dynamics     at 3:02 pm

It is a good thing you bought a wide couch or the doggies may have delegated you to the floor. I wish I lived in a walking town, unfortunately, I have to drive if I want to walk.

Meg     at 3:02 pm

Welcome to Alexandria, Emily and Casey! I’ve lived here for just over two years now and my favorite part is without a doubt Old Town! It’s so cute and fun and there are so many great shops and restaurants!

I have been thinking about getting a little grocery cart like yours since I moved into my new apartment. Would you mind telling me where you got yours?

Welcome and please let me know if you ever do a blogger/reader meetup!

Meg

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks, Meg! I got the cart at the Container Store in Clarendon for $40. If you don’t feel like driving there, they also had one for $50 at the C&B Outlet here in Old Town. Meetup hopefully happening soon!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils Reply:

Meg – you can buy cheap ones online. I’m sure Amazon sells them.

Meg Reply:

Great–thanks, gals!

Lisa     at 3:02 pm

My Organic Market on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray is another great place to get bulk items. I’m pretty sure they have more selection than Whole Foods, if I’m remembering correctly.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That is the other driveable option I want to check out! I have heard good things.

Lauren     at 3:04 pm

I actually work in Old Town so it’s really fun to see you “discover” the neighborhood! Some great local restaurants to try are The Perfect Pita and The Pita House. We order lunch from both of these places quite often!

Another recommendation–over in the Del Ray neighborhood (so cute) there is an ice cream place called “The Dairy Godmother”. They have a new flavor every day and the Salted Caramel is AMAZING.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh how fun! I’ve seen the Perfect Pita by the Metro but it’s always closed when I go by. I have heard of that ice cream place too – MUST try. I love salted caramel.

Lauren Reply:

There is actually a second Perfect Pita location down near the water that I know is open weekdays at lunchtime at least.

And if you go to the website for the DG, you can see a calendar which will tell you what flavors they are showcasing on a given day. We may or may not have it printed out and hung on our work fridge!

Gina     at 3:05 pm

Your new neighborhood looks so cute! I love DC, I am so happy that you are having a new beginning there.

My apartment in Philadelphia got a 100/100 on the walkability score and it is true – there is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe’s within .5 miles! I am definitely spoiled.

Love the grandma cart by the way!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Wow, that is awesome! I’ve never seen a 100 score. Everyone carrying their bags home last night was totally jealous of my grandma cart. I love it! :)

Missy Reply:

Our neighborhood got a 28, boo! But it is better than where we moved from last year. It actually scored 0!!!!

Katy(The Balanced Foodie)     at 3:07 pm

Please tell me where you lived in Charlotte so I know where not to go! I’m going to be looking near where Caitlin is and It’s pretty walkable as far as I can tell.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Caitlin’s neighborhood (and the surrounding area) is the one area of Charlotte I WOULD live, if we had stayed there. I lived in Southeast Charlotte, off Sardis Road North aka the middle of nooowhere. Stay to the Southwest side and you will be happy. :)

Julie @SavvyEats     at 3:07 pm

Walkability is a HUGE deal to me. Luckily, Ithaca, NY (where I just moved to in June) has a walkability score of 97!!!

Kate     at 3:08 pm

I just checked and our walk score is 0! Don’t I know it. My hubby and I are actually planning a move to DC in the next couple of years and you have me very seriously considering Old Town!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh geez. Honestly, I can’t believe my old place got a 17 – I would give it a zero too. If you come to look at places here let me know! We will show you Old Town. :)

Kate Reply:

Thanks Emily! We will for sure. We are actually moving in two weeks two a larger town just because we can’t take it anymore! Our new walk score is a 48 which we will take until we get jobs in DC.

Meg     at 3:09 pm

Also, don’t know if you’ve discovered it yet, but there’s a Trader Joe’s down on St. Asaph in Old Town.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES! I went there last time we were here looking for places. I can walk there too! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 3:11 pm

Walkability is huge to me – wow, I had not realized there is no Whole Foods in Charlotte.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Well to be fair to Charlotte, there is Earthfare which is a decent equivalent. But much much smaller and just as $$!

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle     at 3:12 pm

I just moved this past weekend from a house in the middle of NOWHERE to a quiet side street off of a main road in a bustling town (complete with my own farmer’s market at the end of the road) and I couldn’t be happier! Walkability is soooo important!

Allie     at 3:13 pm

walkability is huge for me- i don’t have a car! i sold it a few years ago, and living in the city i hardly ever miss it. i rely on the metro and walking to get everywhere and i love it. i used to work next to that whole foods- i watched it being built!

Therese     at 3:15 pm

Seeing as we don’t own a car, walkability is HUGE for my boyfriend and I and I live in a neighbourhood that’s VERY walkable! I don’t know what we’d do if we didn’t live in our neighbourhood!!! Glad you’re loving the new zip code!

Liz     at 3:19 pm

It’s a huge deal to me because my husband and I have only one car. Bikeability is also important to me :) I’m not sure if I will ever be able to live in the ‘burbs since I have become so used to walking and biking everywhere

Kim     at 3:21 pm

My house scored a 60! :)

I would be really excited if I were you, too. I loooove the charm of old houses, walkable neighborhoods, etc!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 3:24 pm

Walkability is important to me too. Where I live now is kinda walkable, but mostly not. I definitely want the next place I live to be more pedestrian and bicycle-friendly.

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 3:28 pm

Isn’t having a flag outside fun?! I had one put up in my front yard nearly 2 years ago & love it. (Sad though that I’m one of the only people on my street with one…)
I don’t live in a very walkable area. We are doing more by bike though which is a bit better. If I were to ever move, I would definitely want somewhere that is more walkable/bikeable than where I’m at now. I would also want more farmers markets – there are not very many near me at ll!

Lindsay     at 3:28 pm

The cities we have to live in (so far at least) have made it so we are pretty car dependent for our shopping/dining lives. But being *able* to walk is super important to me, I need to be on quiet streets, greenways, sidewalks, etc. If I can’t go out my front door to go for a run, I am cranky. Your neighborhood is so cute, I would love living there!

Meg     at 3:32 pm

I commute an hour each way to work so walkability where I live is key! My husband and I just moved from the outskirts of our town to the downtown area so that we can walk to visit friends, shop and go out. It’s fantastic!

Tracey     at 3:36 pm

Walkability is SO important!

For the last 8 years I’ve lived in walkable neighborhoods and am not looking forward to the day I have to move to the suburbs. I just hope I can find a suburb with a good walking score.

I’ve also had a couple of those carts which makes grocery shopping that much easier:)

Jen     at 3:37 pm

Holy crap, Brooklyn got a 100! Woo!

Walkability is HUGE to us! And even though Brooklyn scored perfectly on the list, we have other scores we’re interested in- like “treeability” and “hikeability” and “non-pollution-breathe-ability.” :)

Congrats on the new place :)

Krista (kristastes)     at 3:39 pm

Walkability is HUGE! I love my neighborhood for that reason :) Love your cart, I’ve been meaning to purchase one of those!! Happy walking :)

Kelly     at 3:50 pm

That website is so cool! My house got a 66 in walkability, but I thought it’d be much higher! I walk everywhere. You must be so close to so many things :)

Ginna     at 3:51 pm

You did luck out! I love the idea of Alexandria…my sister in law lived there years ago and we were hoping to move there but ended up in Chesapeake. While we are car dependent we have a playground in our backyard and a really nice neighborhood with sidewalks to walk in and our little pup loves it! I think it is most important for me to live within driving distance of shops (grocery, target, mall etc). In Laredo we were 2.5 hours from ANY big town and now we are basically near like 3 big cities and it is heaven!

I think it is awesome to have the american flag hanging! Way to support our country! :)

Evan Thomas     at 3:52 pm

As someone who grew up in a small neighborhood in the middle of no where, walkability is VERY important. I just got back from walking to whole foods for dinner food. If I were home, the nearest whole foods is 12 miles away(I almost ran it, once).

Christin L.     at 3:54 pm

Wow, my score is a 9! How sad! At least we’re renters and not stuck here! What a great resource in Walkscore, thank you!

Ashley     at 3:55 pm

Can I tell you HOW MUCH I’m loving reading your posts!! It’s like we’re living the same life but 1000′s of miles apart. We HATED the house in Denver and I was instantly happier here…it was really weird but it just HIT me. I think it had a lot to do with things being so up in the air but it also had to do with hating our house. Although the neighborhood was nice…our poor neighbors had to deal with the VERY unkempt, gross looking rental that we lived in. Eeek! :) Glad you are feeling so good in your new spot. I never knew how stressed living in that house made me until we moved. Crazy!! xo

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Love the dual lives. :) Totally agree too – reading about your old place gives me hives, because that is EXACTLY how ours was. All the cleaning in the world couldn’t have made that house clean – sooooo gross. It’s amazing how much the house affected my mood, which I only realize now after leaving.

Megan     at 4:01 pm

It looks like you are very lucky!

I tried out Walk Score and my place got a 20 :( But, on the brightside, the apartment I moved from in May got a 9, so it’s an improvement!

Monica     at 4:05 pm

It is very important!

My husband and I love where we live now because we go entire weekends without needing the car. LA is such a car dependent city, but being in Santa Monica means that we get to bike and walk everywhere. Love it! Now I just need to tell the drivers to be more respectful of bikers!

AllieNic (Frisky Lemon)     at 4:05 pm

My neighborhood is SO important! I grew up in rural VT with NO neighbors, and I now live in the neighborhood where my boyfriend grew up! His family is around the corner and all of his friends live like a block away. It’s so different from from where I grew up! I don’t know what I’d do without this network of people…AND Whole Foods is in walking distance!

P.s. I heart that you lounge with your pups on the couch! I do the same thing!

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 4:14 pm

I live in Iowa City (apparently it’s a 97!) , and I bike or walk to work all year. I hate to drive and love being just a few minutes from downtown. I will never move somewhere that isn’t walkable, unless we make the leap to the country :)

It is important to me, but there simply aren’t any neighborhoods like that in the city I live in. And I really love it here, so I don’t foresee myself moving anywhere else. But it sounds like fun!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 4:20 pm

I didn’t know they made foldable shopping carts–that’s awesome!

Amanda     at 4:24 pm

Old Town is the best, I moved to Alexandria from the city and life is so much better there. The running trails are great and the running community in general is so positive. Make sure you check out Pacers running store in old town :) Welcome to Northern Virginia!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you! I have passed Pacers but haven’t been in yet!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 4:27 pm

That area does look amazing, I can see why you’re so excited. I can’t imagine living somewhere that wasn’t walkable. No sidewalks – eek!

It’s nice to see you are settling in to your new home so nicely.

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 4:31 pm

I’m glad you are enjoying your new place and your neighborhood! Being able to walk to places is SO important to me. It’s one of the main reasons I live in New York City.

laura     at 4:36 pm

A walk able neighborhood is my dream! I live in South West Charlotte…everywhere I love to be takes at least 20min in the car! Work, farmers market, grocery, friends, fav restaurants!
I love your new place! & I look forward to your blog updates daily :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Crazy – that is where I lived! Too bad we missed each other? Since I don’t live there anymore I’m willing to share – I lived right off Sardis Road North, between Sardis and Monroe. Exactly like you said – 20 minutes to everything, and that’s if traffic was light. Drove me INSANE!

sarah     at 4:46 pm

After years of living either within walking distance of work/shopping, or within easy walk to commuter train to work, I now live in lovely rural VT where our neighborhood’s Walkscore is…brace yourself…ZERO!! Which I’m used to at this point – it’s just a completely different mentality. Do I hate it? NO! I LOVE IT! But, keep in mind, this is r-u-r-a-l. Fields. Cows. Five family farms just on my running route. That doesn’t count the neighbors who keep chickens, or sheep. If I lived in suburbia, with that kind of walkscore, I’d probably hate it.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha love that you got a zero. But your place looks so wonderful that you would never want to leave anyway!

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean     at 4:55 pm

ahhh i’m totally in love with your new place its soooo great! i love that you have Whole Foods in walkable distance! and farmers markets! tres tres jealous!! also i said it before and i’ll say it again LOVE the wide couch!

Jill     at 5:02 pm

Walkability is VERY important. We are moving in a week and I am super excited not to have to drive to the store, especially with a baby in tow.

Laine @ Beets, Butter and Mountaintops     at 5:22 pm

Walkability was part of why I moved too! I went from a 30 to a 51, but I can walk to the natural food store, a farmer’s market, the wine store, the post office and and the coffee shop – so I’m happy! And I can just about spit in the ocean from my front steps, which means swimming and kayaking are right outside my door (or a short bike ride away.)

My old neighborhood was terrible for walking, and scary, with cars zooming by all the time.

I took my first of many walks last night.

Krystina     at 5:39 pm

I like being in a walkable town. My college town is small enough that I can walk anywhere easily and the area is pretty and relaxing.

MegaNerd     at 5:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the walkable.com website! It’s really interesting to look up the places i’ve lived. I actually HATE when the place I live isn’t walkable. I have yet to live somewhere, other than on campus, that is walkable. :( Maybe one day!

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 5:48 pm

Hi Emily! Yes, walkability is definitely so important. It’s just nice to know that you can go out and enjoy the weather, get some exercise, while also getting places! I think your new couches look SUPER comfy…are they both from Ikea?? I may be moving soon so would love to find sweet furniture like that :) I’m glad you’re so happy in your new place!

R @ learningasichop.wordpress.com     at 5:50 pm

Besides college, I have never not lived in a walkable area. (I’m in NYC, after all.) That grocery cart is KEY

Tina     at 5:54 pm

I adore where we live, but I certainly wish it was a more walkable area as well. I hate having to drive everywhere. I even have to drive to walking paths.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 6:26 pm

I think walkability is soo importantly…I hope to be a more walkable area by this time next year! I just did my score and it was 55..so-so. The thing about Cleveland is that it’s a commuter city and no one live-lives in Cleveland.. even we are in a suburb.. but a pretty close one to certain stores and things — so, so-so. :)

haley     at 6:30 pm

Walkability is a huge issue for me. I feel like the place you live should be accessible and safe, and we all get to have our priorities when choosing =).

I’ve had to compromise with the place I’m at now. We live on the slopes of a volcano so our view is phenomenal and the weather is cooler, but it is rural and on a SLOPE which makes walking anywhere difficult. It’s about 15 minutes from the city so there are pros and cons there too… but for the most part, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 6:41 pm

Oh I am so glad to see that you are both looking so happy and relaxed :)

Kathy     at 6:42 pm

I grew iup in Texas and we had sidewalks back then.
Since that time I have not lived where there are sidewalks. I miss them. Charlotte is not a very walkable city and not bike friendly eitherbut hopefully in the future it will be.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Waxhaw is NOT walking friendly at all! At least the people are friendly. :)

Lauren     at 6:46 pm

I am so happy to hear DC is fitting you so well. You look good in the city! :)

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition     at 6:50 pm

I love your little cart. I had one last semester when I lived in DC and I intend to get it back when I get around to finding a job that will actually allow me to buy groceries. :) I am glad you are loving the location change. Old Town is a great area!

Becky     at 7:46 pm

I love Old Town! So glad that you are enjoying your new ‘hood. If I every move to a new area, walkability will be a top priority.

Rachel@Olalliberry     at 7:49 pm

Great to hear you are enjoying your new digs! Your neighborhood looks so cute. I agree that walkability is super important – I live in Portland, OR and am within walking distance of four grocery stores, my office, parks, my dentist, restaurants, really everything I need. I wish everyone were so lucky.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have heard that Portland is amazing – I really hope to visit there someday!

Lee     at 8:13 pm

My ‘hood got a 40. I wanted to live somewhere more walkable, but we were in the market to buy and just couldn’t afford anything more in the city. Although, we are walking distance (about a mile) to a Kroger shopping center.

Colleen     at 8:27 pm

A community and/or neighborhood that is both walkable and bikable is very important – personally and professionally. Luckily, we now live in an area that is within .25 mile from the regional trail system and the city is working on improving their streetscapes near our house. Unlike our previous home where the only sidewalk was within our subdivision.

kimberley     at 8:42 pm

I am so happy for you guys! We live in north Charlotte and all my favorite bloggers seem to love it so much that I feel like something is wrong with us because we just don’t. Maybe it really is attributable to being stuck in the suburbs (although I got a walk score of 40, which is a serious stretch), but we are looking forward to moving in the spring. I hate driving…I’d rather walk, bike or take public transportation. Right now we are focused on San Francisco, Portland and Denver, but there are some really interesting jobs in the DC area.
I can’t wait to read all about your adventures!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Kimberley! No worries, I didn’t like Charlotte either. :) I know what you mean about feeling bad too – I tried not to talk too much about my less than loving feelings toward the Queen city, because I didn’t want to talk down the area that so many others seem to enjoy. I will say this though – it is easier to make a city seem charming by posting pictures of pretty neighborhoods, green trees, and fancy restaurants. My personal experience in Charlotte was more strip malls, cars zooming past when I went running, and loose dogs chasing after me on walks! Let me know if you check out DC. :)

christina cadden     at 9:04 pm

Looks like a great day.

Lindsay     at 9:04 pm

It is so important to me! I grew up in the burbs, but I have been a city girl since college -I love the option of walking to work, walking the dog around a safe, beautiful neighborhood, walking to stores, restaurants, etc. Glover Park – my DC neighborhood – got a 74. Not as good as Old Town, but good enough for me :)

Michelle...     at 9:10 pm

Hi Emily, I’m new to your blog and enjoying it so far!

Walkability is huge for me too! I grew up in the ‘burbs (walk sore: 9), and then ended up at a college with a small walkable campus (77) and I never looked back. I’m still attached to my car, but I really only drive it on weekends. I live in the Porter Square/Harvard Square area of Cambridge, MA (88), and though I doubt I’d ever be able to buy here, I’m loving living here while we can. It’s quiet, gorgeous, and walkable/subway ride-able to everything. Someday I may move out of the city, but I NEVER want to 100% car dependent ever again!

Erin @ Shortcut to Bliss     at 9:12 pm

We have a folding shopping cart for the farmer’s market and I always feel like a bag lady! I just push through the lameness of it out of necessity. Those things are absolute lifesavers!!!

Gree     at 9:45 pm

It’s difficult..where we are now we have great walkability but are in a crappy neighborhood so now we are moving to a tiny town which is technically “walkable” but there is only a general store. i think it depends on what you want and need, we certainly won’t be driving into town all the time!

Vicky     at 10:03 pm

Old Town and the DC area in general is my absolute favorite place in the country – savor every moment. I lived there for a year and loved every single day. For an amazing falafel, head to Amsterdam Falafel in Adams Morgan. You will not be disappointed.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awww yay – thanks! I will check out the falafel – yum.

steph     at 10:05 pm

a bit off topic, but have you tried out any DC yoga studios yet?? i finally found my favorite- dancing mind yoga in falls church. a bit outside the city so it wouldn’t go perfectly with your minimal driving lifestyle, but it’s a hot vinyasa power studio and i think you would love it!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Not yet! This week was all about settling in and unpacking. Next week = YOGA! :)

Chelsey     at 10:16 pm

Walkability is a HUGE deal for me – and unfortunately I don’t have it around here!

Kelli     at 10:25 pm

we have a 92 as well – love it! You’re new place looks super cute. We have that couch in a darker brown, it’s awesome!

LOVE the couch!

ilana     at 12:01 am

I’m so glad you are able to explore on foot! Walkability is MAJOR with me, but that is to be expected since I am a former urban planner. :) I just checked out my DC neighborhood– it’s a 97! A Walker’s Paradise. No kidding! My old LA digs were a 77 and “Very Walkable”, which is pretty good. I always purposely choose to live in areas where even if a car is necessary day to day, I can park it and walk to essentials in my ‘hood.

Caitlin     at 12:21 am

Walk-ability is definitely very important! It really bums me out that so many communities are so sprawling yet lack any connection to convenient amenities like schools, markets, etc. You new neighborhood is perfect – gush away!

Love the first photo – such great perspective!

Canadian     at 8:30 am

Walkability is extremely important to me and my husband. We prefer to not own or drive a car, so we always choose to live in walkable neighbourhoods, with grocery stores, drugstores, banks, etc. close by, and with good access to public transportation.

I would hate to live somewhere without sidewalks! I don’t understand why municipalities allow such neighbourhoods to be built. I am a total “new urbanist”.

Lauren     at 8:38 am

I’m totally craving a walkable neighborhood. We live in Ballantyne in Charlotte and although there are a few places that are walkable it mostly sucks. The only thing I worry about moving somewhere more urban is our big dog Jim. HE has so much energy and NEEDS a big yard to run around in. How often do you guys have to run your dogs around to keep them happy?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We walk our dogs first thing in the morning, usually once mid-afternoon, and we try to do a longer walk or run in the evenings. It helps that we work from home!

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife     at 8:47 am

I did the Walkscore thing for my address, I got an 18… So I know what you mean. I would love a bikeable or walkable community.

Enjoy your new town! Seems like you moved to the right place!

Chase @ The Chase Project     at 9:12 am

I need one of those grocery carts! My closest grocery store (Giant) is only a half mile away, but those bags get heavy if you buy too much! I love living in a walkable area too — I’m a 15 minute walk from my office and my gym is only 2 blocks down from my office. So fun! (Except last night when I forgot to pack shoes to walk home from the gym in – my two choices were high heels or cycling shoes with clips on the bottom. OOPS! I opted for the cycling shoes because I don’t think heels + padded bike shorts is really in fashion this fall ;) )

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG, sad for you, but hilarious to see I’m sure. :) I don’t have clip in shoes – I’m scared of them!

Catherine     at 9:25 am

I was shocked to find out my neighborhood here in Los Angeles scored an 88!
That little shopping cart is adorable and it’s so great that you can walk to Whole Foods!! It seems like you all will be very happy in DC :)

afarmerinthedell.wordpress.com     at 9:35 am

Emily,
I literally just got one of those shopping carts! My soon-to-be mother-in-law got one for me! I love it! To be honest at first I felt like a geriatric walking around with it, but now I am in love!

So happy you guys are loving your new neighborhood!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I feel slightly granny-like too, but I don’t care enough to not use one!

Ann     at 9:41 am

I don’t have a car and I don’t want one so it’s VERY important! It’s a matter of choosing a lifestyle and also for the environment. I walk, bike and if necessary I take the bus…

Kristy     at 9:54 am

Living in Florida my entire life, I’ve always dreamed of living somewhere it was WALKER friendly!

Diane condon     at 12:59 pm

Em,
I was so excited. Reading the Sept. issue of Better Homes and Gardens and on pg. 190 they are pushing your blog. I didn’t know I knew a STAR!!!
Love to the two of you and the dogs. Love the flag and so happy you are happy.
Grandma Diane.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awwww thanks Diane! Fun that you saw the magazine feature. :) Miss you!

Rachel     at 2:50 pm

Walkability is my #1 priority when looking at places! Followed quickly by transit, since I don’t have (and don’t want) a car. :) I love being able to walk to do my errands, and to have interesting things to look at when I go for a walk.

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 3:56 pm

You’re like a New Yorker! I love that I can walk so many places. The best thing about your hood is that it’s so residential yet convenient like a city.

alison     at 8:30 pm

I LOVE Old Town; it’s so charming! Living in a walkable city (especially Old Town) would be wonderful. I actually live in Alexandria too, but not in Old Town. My husband is in the Army and we live closer to Ft. Belvoir. Our part of Alexandria is nice, but nowhere near as quaint (or walkable) as Old Town.

Joy     at 7:22 am

I just scored my address it got an 18. I would probably love to live somewhere closer to things like whole foods. But this is the house I have always lived in it was my parents’ and then when they passed it was left to me. There are no sidewalks on my actual street but it is a half mile dead end with a speed limit of 10! And everywhere else is pretty good for running (though it wouldn’t kill the town to add a few lights for night runs)

Stacey     at 4:45 pm

No! You are not alone!! I lived in a walkable area for 4 years before I moved to the ‘burbs. I can’t stand not being able to walk anywhere. I have to drive to the park just to walk my dog, and to me, that’s ridiculous! Jason (the boyfriend) has promised me that when we buy a house, it will be in a walkable area. Can’t wait :D Enjoy your walkability, haha

KimLivesHealthy     at 10:09 pm

Love the walk score website – I tested mine and my place is a 74 – Very Walkable. When I lived in Adams Morgan in DC, it was 94!

My neighborhood now is awesome b/c we can walk to the grocery store & restaurants, bike to the Farmer’s Market (just a little bit too far to walk in Orlando weather), walk to the elementary + middle + high schools (wow!), and it’s a 15 minute scooter ride to work.

Still not perfect though because of the weather – there are too many times where it’s just easier to hop in the car to get groceries. Luckily you get seasons in DC and can enjoy walking in the fall! :)

Paying it Forward: A Banana Bread Giveaway. | Daily Garnish     at 3:49 pm

[...] only thing I dislike about snow is driving in it.  Since we live in such a walkable neighborhood, luckily all we need to do is bundle up and trudge through the snowy [...]

Crystal     at 3:55 am

Thank you so much fore the WalkScore website. The town I live in is totally car-dependent (score of 25) and I can’t stand it. I am definitely looking for a place where I can walk more places. Also, I am definitely jealous that you have a farmer’s market so close. That is another thing that I will be looking for when I find a new place.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Exercising for Two.     at 6:03 pm

[...] are lucky to live in an easily walkable area with great running trails and lots of sidewalks.  While I know that I could probably get [...]

mrskavs     at 7:22 pm

My current neighborhood lists as car – dependent and it has been bothering me more and more lately. Walkability and sociability are two factors that will weigh heavily when my husband and I move to our next place. Your new neighborhood seems lovely. :) enjoy it

Jahlin     at 10:13 am

I’m not esilay impressed but you’ve done it with that posting.

csqtsylreom     at 2:42 am