For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

By Day and By Night.

Last night was our first dinner out on the town!

We walked around for a while looking for a place that seemed veg-friendly, and ended up at Red Curry.

I was pleased to open the menu to find an entire page of vegetarian entrees – score!

Ever since I tried the vegetarian sushi back in Chicago, I have been obsessed.  Casey and I split three small rolls as an appetizer – pickled radish, shiitake mushroom, and avocado.  Perfection!

For my entree, I ordered the Massaman Veggies – tofu in rich coconut red curry gravy with potatoes, carrot, onions, and peanut.  Mmmm.

This place was fabulous and I am sure we will be back.  There are sooo many fun restaurants for us to try in Old Town!

But of course, no evening is ever complete without frozen yogurt.  This was actually an ice cream shop that also had fro-yo, but to be honest it wasn’t very good.  It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t exciting.

Very generic and plain tasting.  Although I do LOVE strawberry anything!

And then had a non-dairy sorbet for Casey too – always a plus.

And look who joined us for our fun evening out – BLAKE!  We have been great friends for over ten years.  Love this guy.

After a fun evening out, we were up eaaaaarly this morning to get ready for an action packed day.  We headed up to King Street around 7am, just in time to see all the vendors setting up for this afternoon’s arts festival.

But we were headed somewhere else – the gigantic King Street Farmer’s Market!  We saw it going on last weekend when we were walking the dogs, and we knew we needed to come back.  We were accompanied by our awesome shopping cart.  (Don’t be jealous!)

Perhaps most exciting of all, check out what I am wearing – JEANS and a SWEATSHIRT!  Helloooooooo fall weather!!  It was actually cold this morning, and I loved it.

Beautiful fall morning in the most beautiful Virginia town.

Even though it was 7am, the farmer’s market was already packed.

It was one of the best markets I’ve been to – soooo many vendors and good variety.  Good prices too!

I love how colorful fall food is…

Lots of really interesting local companies that I was happy to support.  I thought this guy had a particularly compelling story for this somber 9/11 morning.

Lots of delicious peach and apple samples – yes please!

The market is laid out around the City Hall plaza.  Gorgeous.

Happy shopper.

Can I just tell you how pumped I am to see PEARS again?  I drooled on them while Casey picked out a few good ones.

Sad to say goodbye to summer tomatoes, but I feel like I ate my fair share this summer, especially on the farm!

Beautiful fresh flowers in bloom…

And other vendors selling handmade goods, soaps, crafts, etc.  Perhaps one of my (ahem) knitting friends wants to make me this eggplant hat?

So happy to see GREENS again!  The dry heat of the Charlotte summer killed almost all of our greens on the farm.

Fifty dollars later, and a mini cart full of fresh fruits and veggies…

We headed towards home.

We are off for a VERY full day of really exciting stuff.  Can’t wait to tell you guys all about it when I get back!

Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy     at 4:52 pm

It looks like you had a great night out and it’s nice to see you had plenty of veggie options to choose from. I love the farmers markets you guys have, they looks amazing!

Pamela     at 4:59 pm

Your pictures are making me miss home. I grew up outside of Alexandria and my husband worked in Old Town for years. Here are some of our favorites for your next night out… or for a decandant dessert.
Austin Grill (best black bean/grilled veggie burrito and green rice. ANd best ever corn meal pancakes for brunch on the weekend)
Asian Bistro
Cafe Salsa
Mai Thia
Stardust
Bittersweet (amazing cupcakes)
Kingsbury Chocolates (lavender truffles – wow!)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

AWESOME! Thank you so much – we will definitely take your advice. :)

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 5:58 pm

Farmers markets are so great. I love all the fresh veggies and fruit, so jealous you live near such a big one!
It looks like you are really enjoying your new home :-)

Elizabeth     at 6:59 pm

Wow that farmers market looks awesome! My mom and I grow veggies, fruit and flowers in her backyard. Maybe we should try our hand at a farmers market? hmmm…

Errign     at 7:07 pm

A little girl I babysit has a strawberry hat – it’s adorable! :) I bet you could find them on Etsy if you really want one!

I love farmer’s markets, mine close to my house so SO small though!

Becky     at 9:10 pm

Your photos make me jealous! Old Town is so lovely. I ate at Red Curry last time I visited and it was delish!

I am with on the jeans and sweatshirt weather. I love digging into my fall clothes again..so cozy!

Raewyn     at 9:17 pm

The farmer’s market is bee-you-teeful! :) I love your outfit – both it and you are too cute! I’m waiting impatiently for fall to come so I can dress warm again.

You guys look so happy…I’m glad you are having a fantastic time!

afarmerinthedell.wordpress.com     at 9:21 pm

Love your new city! The shopping cart is awesome!

Sandra     at 9:43 pm

What a beautiful city – I wish you two much success & happiness there!

KimLivesHealthy     at 9:46 pm

The farmer’s markets in DC are sooo awesome – it’s great how you can live in the city and still have access to such great local food!

I used to go to the one in Adams Morgan, but there’s another good one at the Metro stop in Clarendon – so nice to walk off the escalator and grab free samples of peaches :)

Cati @ crave and create     at 11:35 pm

Those hats rock. I love them. Looks like a fun day!

BIOCHEMISTA     at 12:13 am

Hi! My name is Lauren from http://www.Biochemista.com. I found you through Healthy Living Blogs. I’m trying to put together a group of DCers to meet-up for a happy hour meet and greet. Are you on twitter? You can follow me at LaurBiochemista and search #dchealthblogger for updates. I’ll also be posting on my blog about events. Hope to meet you!

Lauren

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Lauren! I am on twitter @thefrontburner. I would love to meet other DC bloggers!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 12:18 am

You weren’t kidding, that farmer’s market looks amazing. And you have to get one of those eggplant hats. That would be a-dorable!

maria @ Chasing the Now     at 3:08 am

I am so jealous of your fun fall weather. It’s still really hot in Japan. I actually got sunburned today. Yuck.

I’m currently dreaming of hot coffee and cardigans.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Reading from Japan = awesome. :)

Claire     at 4:31 pm

Your new town looks like Stars Hollow from The Gilmore Girls!

It looks heavenly!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha totally. I used to love that show.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 9:46 pm

Beautiful photos! You both look so cozy and happy at the market. I can’t wait for hoodie weather, and lazy Saturday mornings to enjoy it.

Alaina     at 12:13 pm

I’ve been following your blog for awhile now, and am SO JEALOUS that you and your husband moved to Old Town! I used to live in Falls Church and would come down to Old Town all the time. Be sure to check out the ghost tours of old town – those should be starting up soon. Very fun!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Very cool – thanks for the tip! Let me know if you head back this direction.

Kerr     at 10:01 am

What a great farmer’s market! I just found your blog and love it. I am friends with Elizabeth Geddes and she told me you went to Denison as well. Looking forward to reading more!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh how fun! I love Elizabeth – good friends since day 1 of college. She was my next door neighbor! :) Tell her I said hello, and thanks for passing the blog along. Glad you are enjoying it.

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 8:32 pm

Okay, isn’t the farmer’s market in Old Town awesome? I love it! Also, there’s a pretty good one right near King Street Metro on Wednesdays from 5-7 pm or something like that if you need a mid-week fix.

So glad to see you’re loving Old Town! (Catching up on your blog after work travel took me away from the internet for more than a week…)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yes!! I am going to try to go to that smaller market today if time permits.

Joyce     at 1:21 am

Oh gosh! That hat…it’s too cute!
Do you know if the vendor has a website/any way I can order?
I live in CA but would love to order one!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I went back to the market and looked yesterday, but I didn’t see any web info. :( Have you checked etsy.com for something similar?

running shoes