Festivals and Fireworks.

After a wonderful morning at the farmer’s market, we spent a little time at home resting up and getting ready for a big day out in the city.  We walked the (almost) mile from our house to the Metro, and then hopped on towards DC!  I was a little scared of this poster until I realized it was a Gillette advertisement.

We jumped off at the Foggy Bottom metro station, and walked a few blocks to the George Washington University campus.  What better way to be welcomed into our new hometown than with DC VegFest falling on our first weekend here!

In addition to all the great food and vendors there, I wanted to be there early enough to catch a few of the speakers.  After reading about vegan bodybuilder Robert Cheeke on No Meat Athlete’s blog, I was excited to hear what he had to say about veganism and athletic performance.

He gave a really great talk all about motivation and consistency.  We really are the keepers of our own destiny.  One of his best lines in my opinion was, “As vegans and vegetarians we have to lead by example.  Let’s change the image of vegans as being skinny and weak, and show that we are healthy, strong, and happy.”

All that talk about delicious vegan food made me HUNGRY, and we made our way around the veeeery crowded food vendors to find lunch.  Going off a blog reader recommendation, we decided on Amsterdam Falafel Shop

We purchased plain falafels, and then waited in an incredibly long line to fill them up with toppings.

I took some beets and pickled cabbage, along with a few fun unidentifiable sauces (the perks of being at a vegfest – not having to wonder if things are vegetarian!).

We sat and enjoyed our lunch in the grass on an absolutely beautiful and sunny afternoon.

I was really excited to see how crowded the festival was – gives me hope that more and more people are starting to see the benefits of vegetarian eating.

I will say that as a whole, I was a little disappointed in the informational booths and vendor messaging.  A lot of the booths were using scare tactics and plastering horrific information about animal testing and cruelty as a means for influencing people to eat vegetarian (some were even showing videos).  While obviously those issues are at the very heart of why I eat the way I do, I prefer to focus on the positive benefits of eating a vegetarian diet, rather than harping on the negative effects of the alternative.

I was so excited finally get to meet (in person) one of my other favorite vegetarian bloggers, and another blogger who is all about positively advocating a vegetarian diet – Matt from No Meat Athlete!  You can’t get much more positive than a running carrot.  :)

It was fun to talk to Matt for a while, and get a chance to meet his wife and adorable veggie baby.  Before we left, we had to take advantage of the rare opportunity to get some delicious vegan dessert.  We picked up this pretty pink box from Emily’s Desserts – how appropriate.

Feast your eyes on this – a gluten free and vegan chocolate peanut butter layered mini cake.  Ohhhh deliciousness.

Casey and I grabbed two forks and sat and ate it right there in the grass.  A fun way to end a fabulous festival!

But the fun wasn’t over yet.  We were just getting started!  We headed back down to our neck of the woods, and spent about an hour walking around the King Street Arts Festival – a giant gathering of local artist and craftsmen showcasing their beautiful work.

It was a gorgeous day, and there were people, dogs, and families everywhere.

I have absolutely NO eye for art, so sometimes the concepts are a little lost on me.

I also didn’t realize how expensive original artwork can be!!  We were hoping to maybe find something to hang in the empty spot above the couch, and we found a few things that we really liked, this this pretty red tree below.  Unfortunately it was almost $5,000 – just a wee bit out of my price range.  :)

Even though we didn’t buy anything, it was fun to walk around Old Town and see all the pretty art and jewelry, and continue to explore our charming community.

After checking in with the dogs and collapsing on the couch for a bit, we headed back into the city for dinner out with friends.  After hearing good things, we tried to go to Good Stuff Eatery in Capitol Hill last week, but discovered that it was closed.  When we found out that Blake was headed back there this weekend, we jumped at the chance to go again!  The restaurant is founded by Spike from Top Chef, and the concept is gourmet burgers and fries.

I have to be honest – it was one of the single most disappointing restaurant experiences I’ve had to date.  While they did offer a mushroom burger (which I had made sure of in advance), it was premade and stuffed with cheese, so there was no option to remove the cheese and make it vegan, which left Casey with a pile of fries for dinner.

I ordered a village snack fry, which was supposed to be a small thing of French fries tossed in dried thyme and rosemary, but as you can see I had almost no herbs on mine.  I don’t usually order fries, but the entire reason I did here was because I thought the herbs sounded delicious.  No herbs = no bueno.

The mushroom burger was stuffed with t
wo cheeses and fried in a coating of panko.  I will admit, the taste was fine, but perhaps this just isn’t my kind of food.  I honestly think that now that I’m so used to eating healthy homemade food, I’ve sort of lost the taste for greasy fast-food type eating.  I ate it, but it made me feel gross.

And while the food was lackluster, that wasn’t what bothered me the most.  The service was absolutely terrible.  The cashiers didn’t even make eye contact when you ordered, and they acted like our presence was an inconvenience.  I don’t know if the whole “act mean to the customers thing” is part of the atmosphere Spike is trying to create, but if it is he has definitely missed the mark.  Bottom line – Good Stuff is not good.

But the company was wonderful!  It was nice to meet Blake’s friends and have a fun night out, regardless of the dinner itself.

When the rest of the group headed out on the town for the night, Casey and I decided to take the long way home and walked down to the National Mall on our way back to the Metro.  I don’t see how it could ever get old to walk past views like this on your way home from dinner…

My (lack of) knowledge of government, politics, and history is actually quite embarrassing, but that doesn’t stop me from being totally in awe of the beautiful architecture and overwhelming power that this city represents.

And just as we came over the hill and passed the Capitol, we looked out to our left and saw an incredible fireworks show coming from the baseball stadium.

Not sure if there was an actual game, or perhaps a 9/11 tribute going on, but either way it was the perfect ending to a wonderful day.

In total we walked over 9 miles for the day, and my legs are feeling it this morning.  Hoping to recover enough in time to run this afternoon!

Emily     at 11:54 am

Emily,
I’m a freshman at GW and was at this event! Can’t believe I missed you. I’ve been reading your blog for about six months now. Oh well, maybe we can meet up sometime!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh man, too bad we missed each other! I would love to meet up another time. :)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 12:02 pm

What a fantastic day you enjoyed! I’m sure it’s going to be wonderful living in the DC area. Ironically, we’re now looking at Charlotte. Will have to pick your brain..

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Email me if you go that route… :)

Liz @ LBBakes     at 12:11 pm

Oh my, that cake makes me want to venture into vegan baking!

Kate Z.     at 12:19 pm

Next time you’re craving a burger, try the mushroom burger at The Chesapeake Room on SE 8th. It IS vegan, and the chef here is vegetarian. It’s delicious!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I just checked their menu online and didn’t see any vegetarian options! Do you order off the menu?

Carin     at 12:22 pm

Just found your blog yesterday and am enjoying your posts for two reasons: 1) I lived in the DC area for a number of years and LOVED it, and 2) I’ve been a vegetarian now for more than 10 years (as are 2 of my 3 kids). And I couldn’t agree more: Once you start a lifestyle of eating healthy, you can’t go back to greasy, fried stuff — even when it’s hiding under the disguise of being a vegetarian option.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh yay – welcome to the blog! Very cool that you have 2 veg kids too – we plan to do the same thing, until they are old enough to choose for themselves.

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 12:34 pm

Loving all these festivals! They sound so fun.

The chocolate peanut butter layered mini cake looks amaaaaazing.

Babs     at 12:38 pm

Boo I wish I knew you were going to be there. I would have loved to say hello. I thought the vegfest was great, though the Richmond one was bigger. I really enjoyed the raw options they had and the BEST was vegan treats bakery. Did you see Emily’s Desserts had vegan rice krispy treats on a stick? They were amazing.

You must try Everlasting Life on Georgia Ave (off the greenline, it’s walking distance from Sticky Fingers) for the most amazing vegan fried chicken sandwich and the best vegan mac and cheese EVER!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ohhh boo, sorry we missed each other :( I will check out the Everlasting Life spot – thanks!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 12:51 pm

I am so with you on the scare tactics for vegetarian and veganism. It is about so much more than that. I interviewed with PETA a few years ago and when I questioned their tactics they said that is the only way they get attention so that is why they do that kind of stuff. Unfortunately it makes the greater public view us all as freaks. Needless to say, I did not take that job. I think a positive approach through blogging and talking to others in a positive way is such a better way to share our experiences and knowledge.

Sorry about the burger…I kind of would have figured that. Sorry for Casey too, that was a crap dinner for sure.

I hope you have a great Sunday!

Anne     at 12:55 pm

What a fun day!! You guys already look like you’re right at home in D.C. – seems like it’s meant to be! :)

Sorry about the restaurant experience! There’s nothing quite as disappointing as bad food/service at such a hyped restaurant. Better luck somewhere else!!!

Chelsey     at 1:13 pm

Ooo what a fun day!!!

Okay, do you remember how I thought you were really weird for getting so cold after your long run? I am FREEZING today after running my half – no joke. I have a fleece blanket on and I want to put a heating pad on my toes!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha that’s funny. See, I’m not crazy! Hope you warmed up :)

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 1:20 pm

That cake looked soo good. I totally agree with you on the scare tactics to get people to become vegetarians. I tend to not like extremism in any form, I always one for intelligent conversation on the subject where both side can have a say.
Also focusing on the positive side on an issue, I would think, would be more likely to get people to agree with your issue.
Looks like your day was supper fun.

Evan Thomas     at 1:33 pm

That looks so awesome! Matt seems like a cool guy; I’d love to get to meet him sometime. And even though DC is about 600 miles away, I think it would have been worth it for that gluten-free, vegan cake. Wow.

Lindsay     at 2:01 pm

What a day! Back in the day (ha!) I went to GW so it was fun seeing it on the blog :)

Good to know about Good Stuff Eatery. I haven’t been yet and I have heard mixed reviews and tons of bads ones about service, just like you said. Too bad…

Emily     at 2:06 pm

I so appreciate your emphasis on the positive aspects of being vegetarian. We eat mostly vegetarian, and still include some grass-fed meats we can feel good about. I wish more people understood the benefits of going meatless even for just one meal a day or one meal a week, and I feel that the scare tactics used by PETA and other organizations leave people who are new to the idea of vegetarianism feeling threatened and turned off to the idea, rather than feeling motivated to make any changes to their food choices. Also, that falafel looked AMAZING! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Totally agree. Peta was there and their shirts were horrific. Plus they were sort of preaching to the choir!

Gabrielle     at 2:09 pm

I’m really loving your blog (discovered it a week or two ago while surfing), and am so jealous you got to go to the Veg Fest! Looks like a great time, but I also agree about the tactics some vegans/vegetarians use to get people to go veg. It’s about all of it, of course, ending animal suffering, saving the environment, and our health, but to expose people to awesome food is the best way to make converts.

Great blog, great photos, thanks for sharing. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Glad you found the blog – welcome! :)

christina cadden     at 2:12 pm

I love that you guys have a veg festival. How cool is that. What a great city to live in.

Elizabeth     at 2:12 pm

You’re day looked like a ton of fun! I love coming to visit DC/Virgina because there’s always so much to do there. I am obsessed with Ted’s Bulletin for their homemade poptarts.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Wow I need to find those!

Blake Reply:

Love Ted’s Bulletin

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 2:27 pm

What a great day. Too bad about tge restaurant being a bit of a did; how annoying. The festival looks great though, and wow, the vegan dessert looks delicious!

Paige     at 2:32 pm

Awh I’m bummed you had a bad experience at Good Stuff. Yeeeah the burger is super greasy and I’ve definitely left with a heavy feeling tummy before, but I see it as a couple times a year indulgence. The fries are usually comically covered in herbs, so I dunno what’s up that!

But it seems like the rest of your day was a success! Glad you’re taking advantage of all DC has to offer!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Casey had a ton of herbs, so mine were probably just a fluke. I was bummed!

Adrianne@ Flex-appeal     at 2:43 pm

Emily, your new “neck of the woods” looks amazing! I am so happy for you!

Thank you! :)

Stacey     at 3:16 pm

Ahh, Looks like the perfect day (minus the sub-par greasy food and crappy service at dinner!) I wish we had a VegFest here in N.C. That seems right up my alley! And I’ve been thinking of trying veganism out for a day or two, just to see how it goes ;) Hope your legs feel better!

Leigh     at 3:17 pm

So excited for you two in your new city. I hate when customer service is lackluster at places and you feel like you’re inconveniencing THEM at their own establishment. I just usually never return to places like that. Hi to Casey!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Leigh!! Casey says hi :)

Clare     at 3:57 pm

While I wholeheartedly agree with focussing on the positive aspects of vegetarianism I think that there is a place for some degree of “scare” tactic. It was the movie ‘Earthlings’ that made me adopt a vegan diet and I haven’t looked back since. It was like a complete change in thinking–know I feel like “I wish I had known” when I think of all my years of meat eating. But, I’m an adult and sought out that information when I was questioning meat eating; I don’t think that showing videos of animal abuse at a public festival ( where children might see it) is a good idea. Not cool.
On a much lighter note…that chocolate cake looks absolutely heavenly. Yum, yum, yum.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I haven’t been brave enough to watch that yet. I made it halfway through the TRAILER, started sobbing and had to turn it off.

Marci     at 4:38 pm

Wow one of your first outings and it’s a vegetarian outdoor event! I love how you’ve shown us real ways to be meat-free. And pretty jealous of your views and the weather! Although maybe when it’s been snowing for weeks, you’ll be jealous of mild Texas temps.

Heather     at 5:13 pm

So jealous of your festival and fall weather! It was 94 here today. Love the nightime pics of DC!

coco     at 5:22 pm

what a great festival! I’d have gone if I knew it! ;)

Gwen     at 5:40 pm

I LOVE Good Stuff, but can only stop in once and a while. I agree that it’s hard to eat that kind of food after cleaning up my eating choices. Sorry you didn’t enjoy it! But the rest of your weekend sounds FANTASTIC! I love seeing someone new to the area enjoying it as much as I do!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 6:00 pm

What a wonderful event!
And that GF cake had me drooling!

Llynn     at 6:50 pm

Have you tried checking Etsy for artwork- gorgeous originals and prints buy all kinds of artists- most VERY affordable.

I love Etsy – good idea.

susan     at 6:53 pm

i love that purse your wearing. is it from anthropologie? do you like?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yes – from Anthropologie! I love it – got it as a graduation gift from my best friend. It can hold SO much stuff!

Jen     at 7:16 pm

What a fun day! Minus the restaurant.

Can I just say that you are absolutely glowing in your pictures? It’s clear that you’re so happy there. Yay :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yay – thank you! Doing my best to glow daily. :)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 8:57 pm

The chocolate cake looks amazing! It is really hard for me to eat out anymore (especially when it is greasy or fried food) after being able to cook so many great tasting meals at home.

Anna     at 9:47 pm

I went to Vegfest too! I agree, it was kind of “eh” but fun nonetheless. Glad you go your hands on some Amsterdam- quite the DC institution.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Boo sorry we missed each other!

Kendall     at 10:06 pm

I lived about a block and a half from the Capitol South metro station during my congressional internship. The scenery is just as great at night as it is during the day!

I never made it to Good Stuff Eatery, but I’m kind of glad I missed out on that experience from reading your post. I found that the service is just how you described most places in DC. Ugh..the one thing I missed about Texas while living up there.

Alice     at 10:37 pm

Looks like you’ve settled in nicely to the DC metro area! It’s been such a gorgeous weekend :) Just thought I’d pass this along. I’ve bought soup from Soupergirl and it’s delish, thought you might be interested, and it’s all vegan http://www.thesoupergirl.com/soup/how-it-works/what-we-offer/

Yum! Thank you :)

Chase (TheChaseProject)     at 10:37 pm

Looks like I missed some fun events this weekend since I was out of town! Thanks for sharing!

Jordan     at 10:41 pm

Your post is making me nostalgic for DC! There is always so much going on there, and that vegan cupcake looks amazing. There is a vegan bakery at the Columbia Heights metro called Sticky Fingers. I used to go there almost every other Friday to pick up some vegan cupcakes. They are my absolute favorite, but for non-vegan cupcakes, Georgetown Cupcakes are absolutely amazing.

On a sidenote, I’ve never had Good Stuff, but my boyfriend said it didn’t live up to all hype either. He wasn’t terribly impressed.

Have a great week!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Sticky Fingers was at VegFest too and there were at least a hundred people in line waiting to buy their stuff – must be delicious!

whitney     at 8:22 am

your day looked like a ton of fun.

I’m sorry about the disappointment I hate being disappointed with restaurants.

I had no idea there was an event like this going on so close to where i live :(

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 9:04 am

DC is so awesome. Glad you’re having fun! Sorry about your dinner though. Icky!

Victoria     at 9:05 am

re: The service at Good Stuff Eatery, welcome to DC. The servers here are surely and you are most certainly inconveniencing them. Unfortunately that’s just kind of the attitude here.

I’ve been to good stuff 2x since it opened. It’s a once a year treat for sure because it is SO decadent and definitely not healthy eating or very vegetarian friendly. If you are in the neighborhood again though, you should stop in and try a milk shake. The rest of the food is good, but the shakes are not to be missed. You can get a child-size, which is a slightly more reasonable portion. The toasted marshmallow is the best!

Mimi     at 9:30 am

That festival looks/sounds so cool! It’s always fun to talk with other vegetarians. Plus, I love when veg food isn’t an afterthought… It’s the main show!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:31 am

i ALWAYS find art that i love that’s way outta my price range :) $5000? no thank you. maybe when i’m 60! :)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 10:17 am

Veg Fest looked awesome! I would love the opportunity to explore veggie options and hear what vegetarians and vegans have to say. I am a meat-eater and don’t see that changing, but I try my best to only choose humanely raised meat and eat is less often. :)

Maryann     at 12:39 pm

Hi Emily,
Looked like a wonderful weekend. It was awesome here too a little drizzle Sunday but we need rain!! Football ALL day!!!!!!!!
That cake looked good like everyone else has posted.
Any chance of a copy of sort on the recipe. My son’s girlfriend LOVES chocolate and has som gluten issues.
Always look forward to your posts!
Lancaster PA Gal

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I can try, but I am not the best baker in the world. :)

Kelly     at 1:25 pm

I was so excited to finally be able to attend Veggie Fest here in the Chicagoland area this year. Well that is until I was there. I was a bit disappointed with the food offerings (boca burgers for $4?) and it was in a VERY small space. All in all I’m glad I attended but won’t go out of my way next year.
That art fair looked amazing. I walked through one in Scottsdale and was very thankful I didn’t have a way of transporting the coveted items home.

Stacy Reply:

Are you talking about the one in Naperville? I went to it too, and I was so disappointed. They had hardly any vendors. I loved the speakers and food demos though :)

Kelly Reply:

Yeah, the one in Naperville. I wasn’t impressed at all. I begged for 3 years to go to this thing. I thought I would be around for the speakers but honestly we were there all of about an hour.

Snehal     at 1:38 pm

DC sounds so much fun from this post. I’ve only visited it twice as a tourist.
BTW, love love your blog. Very inspiring, entertaining and educational.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you – that means a lot! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 1:38 pm

Your posts totally make me want to move to DC!!

Stacy     at 1:51 pm

Your scarves in your recent posts are so cute! Did you get them from Target?

Old Navy!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather     at 2:14 pm

Sounds like a fun day. Your scarf is super cute!

Natalie     at 2:18 pm

Wow. Looks like a wonderful day. I found myself nodding (agreeing) w/ all that you listed in this post – and jealous of your day out!

There is a Veg Fest in Portland this weekend and I can’t wait! I have never been to anything like it before. I think it’s going to be inside, but I hope it’ll be just as fun.

Jen     at 5:24 pm

Hi there,
You should try The Counter. It’s a “gourmet” burger chain. They have one in Reston, VA.
Their vegetarian burger is wonderful and they have tons of ways to personalize your burger. You can get an order of quite delicious grilled vegetables on the side . . . and particularly good sweet potato fries too!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We had the Counter back in Charlotte – I didn’t know they had one here though. Fun! I loved that place.

Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers     at 7:38 pm

I promise that the walking views NEVER get old :-) I heart DC <3

Ahhhh GOOD!! :)

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 4:04 pm

That is so great you went to a vegfest. That’s so great the city even has one! Love that you met up with No Meat Athlete. Glad you’re loving the new hood.

Pete     at 7:20 pm

Oh awesome, you made it out. I think I may have seen you guys during Robert’s speech but wasn’t sure. Anyways, definitely agree on the scare tactics (and incessant tshirt sales!). Looks like a great end to your day… and I was home tending to my sunburn, ha, good deal.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ohhh boo sorry wem issed each other. That sun was FIERCE!

Latisha     at 10:51 pm

Smart thinknig – a clever way of looking at it.

vxkyeschyfc     at 10:38 am

zoNeQr gqsjsondzgoz

zlmekqzf     at 2:05 am

YV9ucW iidegawlzede

reviews simply     at 6:48 pm

Hello, its good piece of writing concerning media print, we
all be familiar with media is a impressive source of facts.

Cloud PBN Blackhat     at 12:31 pm

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo
News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to
get there! Cheers

seo powersuite discount     at 12:22 am

What’s up, after reading this awesome article i am too
cheerful to share my know-how here with colleagues.