Inaugural Ride.

We had a pretty exciting morning over here in our neck of the woods.  After yesterday’s relatively unproductive day, I was up early at 6am, determined to make better use of today’s time.  Imagine my excitement when Casey suggested we take advantage of the early cool weather and head out on a BIKE RIDE!

To give a brief background, I got my bike over the summer of 2009, just a few weeks after we got married.  I fell completely in love with riding it on a few of the trails near our house in Ohio, and we would go out for weekly long rides of 20+ miles.  In August 2009, we moved to Charlotte, which is perhaps the least biker-friendly city I’ve ever encountered.  Busy narrow streets with no bike lanes meant that my poor bike collected dust in our garage for an entire year, except for one venture out on the sidewalks.

Which bring us to today, my first REAL bike ride in over a year – hallelujah!  I’m hoping this will become a very regular occurrence, with amazing bike trails just outside our front door.  Casey checked our bikes and pumped up the tires to make sure we were good to go.

It was EARLY when we started (hence the giant eye bags) and cool enough that I needed long sleeves.  Love it!

To be honest, I was a little nervous before.  But I guess the phrase “like riding a bike” really does make sense, because as soon as I got on it felt comfortable and familiar.  We rode a few blocks over to the water and picked up the Mt. Vernon Trail heading north.  The sun was still making its way up over the water.

This bike trail has lots of elevation changes, tunnels, and turns – you definitely have to pay attention to what you’re doing.  We passed some cool wall art…

And then made our way to the same spot I had run past on my 16-miler just two days ago.  But THIS time I had my camera!  Okay seriously, there is this spot in the trail that has the COOLEST view ever.  You literally stand directly in front of the tarmac at Ronald Reagan Airport…

And then the giant planes RACE toward you full speed!  They get SO close – I’d guess about 200 feet.

And then just when they look like they are going to literally come barreling down on top of you, they lift off into the sky overhead (this one is a smaller plane).

And fly right over top!  The pictures really don’t do the experience justice – it is incredible.  I could stand there and watch the planes fly over all day long.

The views in the other direction aren’t bad either.

I was so thrilled to be back on my bike!  I’ll admit though, physically it was a lot tougher than I had remembered.  We only biked around 12 miles total, but my quads were screaaaaming by the end!

It was officially morning by the time we headed back to start our work days, and we enjoyed the scenic views of the water our whole way home.

After being spoiled by growing up spending entire summers on the beach, my number one request for wherever we settle down permanently is “to live near water.”  Check!  I can see us staying here for a very, very long time.

Can’t wait to go ride again!  Now I just need to figure out a good balance between running and biking – don’t want to totally burn my legs out while I’m training for the Marine Corps Marathon

As soon as we got home, the focus was on FOOD!  I was starving.  Good thing I had set up my rice cooker so that we’d have some delicious steel cut oats perfectly cooked when we arrived.

Steel cut oats cooked with chia seeds, diced banana, and a splash of vanilla…

Topped with slivered almonds and raisins…

And a spoonful of some amazing raw honey that my mother-in-law gave to us.  It is so much thicker and grainier than traditional honey – I love it.

So happy to be all settled in to our new house with my pretty dishes and real food available to me again.  Orange spoons are fun!

Started my day off right, and now I’m determined to keep it going.  Three, two, one…!

Estela @ Weekly Bite     at 12:07 pm

What a great bike ride! My husband goes on 30 mile rides in the DC area. If you need any new biking routes let me know :)

Have a great day!

Very cool – thanks!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 12:20 pm

Oh wow, that spot near the airport looks amazing! I would love to stand and watch planes go past so closely. It looks like you had a great start to the day adn I’m sure you will continue to be productive!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 12:28 pm

Way to get in a bike ride this morning! I do have to say that the spot near the airport looks nothing short of amazing. I could probably sit there all day and watch airplanes too!

Hope the rest of your day is awesome!

Marty     at 12:29 pm

You are in a great spot for training. If you want a nice flat run with good sights, try running on the C&O canal trail. You can run forever and there are lots of things to distract you plus water and bathrooms periodically along the way.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I am hoping to do a longer ride soon, and head to that trail – I’ve heard great things!

Jen     at 12:30 pm

Yay for biking! What a scenic area. Cue total jealousy. Charlotte is one of the least bike friendly cities, hence why I had to stop triathloning. This will be such great cross training for you guys!

Theresa @ This is My Hungry Face     at 12:36 pm

Those are great pictures– I’m glad you had your camera with you today!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:42 pm

I love biking in new places- makes the ride so exciting!

Great pics :)

Katy     at 12:45 pm

Looks like an awesome ride! My husband owes me a bike, so as soon as I get it I am going on that trail.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Fun – when you get it we can be bike buddies! :)

Brittney     at 12:54 pm

I’ve been to watch 4th of July fireworks at Gravelly Point before. It’s a great spot, although, the year we went we got POURED on (hailed on even!), but it was still fun! I love that area :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awww fun! It is my new favorite spot. :)

Larissa     at 1:10 pm

okay you are totalllly right- your picture and mine of that spot on the trail cant do it any justice to being there! When i visted DC last year we took this trail and stopped here for a while to just watch.. it was awesome. Last time we didnt make it all the way to alexandria ( from georgetown) but when i am comng back in 2 weeks thats the goal since it was so much fun last time… your so lucky you live in such an awesome place!

YES – it is SO cool! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 1:15 pm

Glad you are enjoying the Mount Vernon Trail. That’s where I run/bike every time I go!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Fun, maybe we will see each other out there!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 1:39 pm

15 miles? Holy Moly! And I love that airport view

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 1:47 pm

So jealous of your bike ride. I want a bike so bad but I’m scared to ride it around NYC with all the crazy cars.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oohh I don’t blame you. Can you ride in Central Park?

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice Reply:

Yes, but I want to mainly ride it to places as a form of transportation. I’ve rented a bike at Central Park though and it was really nice and fun. I guess I’ll just stick to the park for now. :)

Kelly     at 1:59 pm

I recently got into cycling myself. I love it!! I don’t have any trails that are really close. I end up having to drive to the trails. But once I get there I have a 20 mile one that I love. I’m checking out all the area trails for a variety.

I’m really interested in how you did the steel cut oats in the rice cooker. Would you mind telling me specifically how you did it? I eat them every day in the Fall/Winter and sometimes I don’t have the time to cook them on the stove.

Rebekah @ Rebeltarian     at 2:36 pm

That ride looked beautiful. I have a weird fascination with watching planes. I really don’t like flying, but I love watching…weird i know.

Jocelyn @ EnthusiasticRunner     at 2:36 pm

First of all, love your pictures from your bike ride! Second, I made your Bean Burgers last night and they were so good. Have you ever thought about writing a cook book?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yes I have! Hopefully someday. :)

Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize)     at 2:41 pm

The airport in Vancouver has a similar set up! I love it, and am happy to find that I am not the only one who enjoys watching planes take off and land.
Depending on the wind etc the planes either fly right over the freeway as the land or as they take off. You can sit under the overpass and watch them pass literally 100 feet over your head. I always jump back when they hit the end of the runway thinking they’re going to come smashing into me, but as always they just take off. Definitely have spent time watching planes take off, it’s oddly fun.

Watching the planes looks like so much fun! Scary, but fun.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 2:55 pm

Great way to start the day off! I have only done the mountain bike thing and sadly, I ended up over the handle bars way more often than I would like to. I need to get a rice cooker for my steel cut oats…yours look perfect!

Kelly     at 3:03 pm

That does look so amazing! You are making me more and more excited for my move to VA! Wanna help me find a job? Haha.

Nicole     at 3:09 pm

I live in DC and there are a ton of new bike lanes all over the city. You could definitely explore some new places on 2 wheels for fun. I’ve been wanting a bike for a while, DC is definitely a bike-friendly city!

I was excited to learn about that neat spot to watch the planes near the airport- definitely going to check that out. Thanks!

Gwen     at 3:25 pm

Gravelly Point – where the rocking plane view is – is even more exciting when the planes are landing that direction (depends on the wind!). They are like right on top of you. That place is packed on beautiful weekends. One of my favorite running areas!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Totally saw the planes go the other direction this morning. You weren’t kidding – AMAZING!

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 3:26 pm

I love running to Gravely Point (that is what the park is called by Reagan). It is my morning motivation. So glad you are enjoying DC!

anon     at 3:45 pm

While it’s wonderful to see how excited you are to be in your new home, I find it a little disappointing how you are so quick to bash Charlotte. I’m sure you developed a readership of locals while living in Charlotte(myself included), and it’s really disheartening to visit your blog and wonder which negative comment you’ll have for the Queen City next. Please keep in mind that some of us love Charlotte and still live here.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings! I actually try to be very aware of your point, and for that reason I’ve always made a point to address that I particularly disliked the specific area in Charlotte where WE lived. I have also commented that while Charlotte is a beautiful city filled with lots of GREEN and flowers, we found that for us personally, a bigger city was a better fit. We have a lot of friends in Charlotte, and I look forward to heading back there for visits. Specific to today’s post, I would stand by the fact that Charlotte is completely unfriendly to bikers. The speed limit is too high, and the streets are too narrow for safe bike riding.

Ben     at 3:49 pm

Your post made me miss DC! My regular Satuday ride was the DCA view lot to Mount Vernon and back. …about 30 miles I think…. and AMAZING once you get out of town to MV. Enjoy DC.

eatingRD     at 4:04 pm

Yay, sounds like a great ride! I wish I had those gorgeous views here in Vegas, but we do have the river mountain trail and red rock which is neat :) Keep pedaling!!

Jessie     at 4:15 pm

I just got a bike a few weeks ago and I love it! But the hills (even the little ones) in my neighborhood and surrounding area are killing me.

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 4:21 pm

Isn’t it amazing how different biking and running are?! In my mind they’re very similar and use almost the same muscles, but a few days of doing one and not the other reminds me just how different they are and how quickly I get out of practice!
(And remember, you don’t have to please ALL your readers ALL the time :D)

TheHealthyApron     at 4:21 pm

Oooo I love biking!! We recently went to San Francisco and did a 17 mi bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge. Talk about amazing views! I recommend San Fran bking for sure!! A++

Grace     at 4:24 pm

I brought my bike up with me from Florida, but I’m too afraid to ride it where I am in Alexandria. There’s a really great bike trail nearby, but I would still have to ride down a very steep hill on a busy road to get there. Hopefully I’ll “grow some balls” soon. I miss riding my bicycle so, so much.

Britne Shabbott     at 4:59 pm

Hi! I’m so glad that I stumbled upon your site. I’ve been thinking about starting a healthy-living blog myself :o)

I was just wondering where you get those cute little ceramic/glass spoons for your oats? I’ve seen them on several sites now, but haven’t been able to figure out where everyone is getting them. I don’t know why…but they make eating oats look that much more fun (I love oats by the way).

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I’m glad you stumble over too – welcome! The spoons are from Crate and Barrel, and they are only $1! :)

Ashley     at 6:34 pm

I was utterly terrified when I bought my first road bike back in April. It was slightly embarrassing trying it out in front of the people we bought it from. I was off the bike in 3 seconds, saying “yep it’s great!” LOL. My goodness. However, soon enough I got the hang of it and am currently LOVING my bike. Fort Collins is super bike friendly. Way more-so than Denver. It’s pretty cool! I went on an errand run today b/c Chris had our car at work. 3.5 miles to one place, 2 miles to the next, and then 3 back home. FUN!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

So impressed that you can run errands on your bike! I would be too scared that the backpack would throw me off balance.

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 6:52 pm

What a wonderful way to start the day!

Doc (The Healthy PhD)     at 7:28 pm

You seem SOOO happy in your new house!

Also, bicycling also leaves me super hungry in the AM. Usually I can run, shower, and then eat…but there is no stopping the ravenous beast that bicycling unveils!

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 7:32 pm

So glad you made it to Gravelly Point! Gwen said it above, but when planes land on top of you it’s even more fun! We had a mid-day picnic there on the fourth of july and watched planes land. Hope the rest of your day was just as wonderful!

Lauren     at 8:45 pm

DC does has some of the most beautiful trails! What a great way to start the day. :)

Nienke at Revel     at 9:15 pm

Oh my gosh – awesome views! I imagine you feel pretty darn alive with those planes coming so close!

kelli     at 9:16 pm

I wish where I lived was more bike friendly, I have a 3 speed beach cruiser bike. I ride sometimes..but my area is so hilllllly.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:41 pm

You might be pleasantly surprised on visits to Charlotte in a few years. I’m at the Pro Walk Pro Bike conference right now (an AMAZING conference), and, from the bit that I’ve heard, Charlotte actually has some pretty major plans to improve things for pedestrians and bicyclists :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That’s awesome! The city really is so beautiful, and it would be a great spot to ride and enjoy the scenery, if only the streets were safer and the greenways longer!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:45 pm

Also, since you’re in D.C., check out the Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA), a great resource for all things bicycling in D.C.: maps, education, etc.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:57 pm

I have to say that I love the last picture of the spoon. I’m all about the fuzzy background pics (while I’m sure there is a technical name, i just don’t know it!)

Natalie @ simply fit. simply clean.     at 10:10 pm

Looks like a beautiful bike ride and a delicious meal. Glad you are so happy in your new location.

Dustin     at 2:51 am

Ok, there are a lot of comments here so I might have just missed someone else saying this. When you go to that park at the end of the runway at night (or maybe one on the opposite side, I couldn’t tell where you were), you can listen to the large jets coming in and making a small sonic boom.

A friend of mine took me one night, and as the jets went by, you could hear them ‘pop’ as the air from the turbines sped up (or slowed down…). It was really cool.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OOh cool! Will have to check that out too!

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean     at 4:23 am

What an awesome way to start the day! i’m extremely jealous! glad your loving the new place!

Chase (TheChaseProject)     at 7:45 am

That sounds awesome =) I will have to give it a try!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 8:12 am

oooh great idea – rice-cooker oats! yum. looks incredible! love your spoon too, I want one.
Heidi xo

alexe @ soyaetchocolat.com     at 8:38 am

You’re lucky that starting to ride your bike again was this easy. I had to stop for 3 years when I broke my coccyx and it took me a long time to feel comfortable again. It’s true that I can be fearful for no reason too…

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 10:00 am

Looks like a great ride. And I agree about that view. The one photo where the plane is pointed straight at you is crazy! Goodluck with marathon training!

cathy b. @ bright bakes     at 10:18 am

awesome-looking bike route! I’m a runner/pilates gal, but lately I’ve been interested in getting a bike for an alternative workout/way to get around town. (or country roads, in my case:)) I don’t have the first clue where to start looking for a good multi-purpose bike..any brands/kinds you would recommend?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Mine is a Specialized, but honestly I don’t know much about bikes. My husband helped me pick mine – I’m sorry!

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 2:56 pm

Glad you got back out there. I’m terrified of riding bikes but probably because I live in NYC and I think I could run into a car or a person. I never liked riding them on campus at college either.

Lisa     at 12:05 am

I do my steel cut oats in the crock pot – set it all up around 11pm when I go to bed and it’s ready when we come down for breakfast around 7 something. Easy peasy as my kids would say!