Marathon Monday on the Mt. Vernon Trail.

I woke up yesterday with running 15 miles on my mind.  Unfortunately, mother nature threw a wrench into my plans.  The steady rain outside my window made it next to impossible to get motivated to run.  I know it is important to run in all conditions, but after running a full marathon in pouring rain, and having one of the hardest runs of my life, I haven’t quite readjusted to the idea of soggy running.

The rain continued and the clock ticked by, and it became quickly obvious that my run wasn’t going to happen.  So I went about my day and did other things, but I spent my whole day with this nagging feeling that I hadn’t done what I really needed to do.  After running five marathons, the only piece of advice I ever offer new runners is do your long runs.  Skipping runs should not be an option.

So I woke up this morning determined to get the monkey off my back.  The sun was shining, the weather was cool, and the conditions were perfect.  I made my standard pre-run breakfast – PB&J.

We picked up this delicious loaf of “Bird Seed Bread” at the farmer’s market on Saturday morning.  It is so dense and chewy – I can’t wait to get more.

Since we were running low on jelly, I actually did one piece with PB2 and jelly, and the other piece with PB2 and some super creamy raw honey.  Yum.

And with my belly full of fuel, I headed out the door determined to tackle 15 miles.  As it turns out, it was a little too much fuel.  Typically I’m used to eating more traditional store bought bread, and I think I underestimated the density of the Bird Seed Bread.  While it was delicious going down, it sat in my stomach like a rock for the first 5 miles.

Even so, I jogged along and tried to forget about the weight in my stomach, because the surroundings were absolutely beautiful.  This was my first long run in my new hometown, and my first time venturing out on the Mt. Vernon Trail I have heard so much about.  I am happy to report that the hype more than lived up to my expectations – it was the most BREATHTAKING scenery and run!  My only major regret was not taking my camera.  Many thanks to Casey for snapping a few pics on his phone as he did the same route on his bike.

IMAG0037 (414x640)

I ran along side the sparkling Potomac river, watching ducks swim and geese fly in groups.  I saw boats sailing by, and the Capitol building in the distance.  For someone who didn’t feel like running when I woke up, I quickly changed my tune to feeling very blessed and fortunate to have a body that can run, and to live in a place that is so magical that it gives me goose bumps.

I ran aaaaaall the way past the airport, and up the coast of the river, crossing the bridge and landing at the base of the Jefferson Memorial.  Even though I knew it would add to my mileage (since my Garmin had reached my 7.5 miles already), I couldn’t resist paying Mr. Jefferson a visit since I was right there.

IMAG0038 (420x640)

It was early in the morning on a Monday, and I was literally the ONLY person there when I arrived.  It’s a pretty incredible experience to have a national monument all to yourself.  I spent a few minutes reading and reflecting, and then headed back towards Virginia for the second half of my run.  Just as I came back over the bridge and headed back towards home, look who came riding up…!

IMAG0035 (426x640)

My knight in shining helmet!  :)  It was perfect timing to see Casey, since I was starting to get very sore and tired, and he offered some timely water and motivation.  Major regret #2 for this run was that I completely neglected to plan properly for fuel and water (big surprise).  I have run five marathons and still can’t quite seem to figure this one out – not sure why.  I was so wrapped up this morning in making sure I went the right way on my new route, that I didn’t think to plan accordingly for needing fuel.  Casey handed me some much appreciated water, but I still had 8 more miles to go on am empty stomach.  At least I had a pretty view!

IMAG0034 (426x640)

The second half of my run was a lot less successful than the first half, which is in no way surprising.  It was stupid of me to think that I could possibly run 15 miles without a single piece of fuel or drop of Gatorade.  Hopefully it is a lesson learned.  And it’s ironic that I was so wrapped up in studying my route that I forgot my Gu’s, because on the way back I took a major wrong turn.  I realized it after about a half-mile when the route no longer looked familiar, but I had to backtrack and ended up adding almost an extra mile to my distance – gaaah!

NINE very painful and slow miles
later, I arrived back on my doorstep – sunburned, sore, and starving.  And of course, I ran in my newest favorite tank top.  I now have five of them, so you can plan on seeing them quite often.

Even though it wasn’t a great run, I still covered the mileage and when it comes to marathon training, mileage is really what matters.  Sixteen in the books!

I think you can all guess where I headed next…

My fabulous jacuzzi tub!  Yes, I know I should have probably done an ice bath instead, but my muscles were screaming for warm bubbles and I obliged.  And the only thing better than a post-run jacuzzi soak…

Is doing it with a giant recovery smoothie perched on the edge!

The Mix:  2 scoops Chocolate Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Mix, 2 tbsp PB2 powder, 1 ripe banana, a handful of frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup Almond Breeze, and a few splashes of water.  Just what I needed!

Now I am off to inhale some lunch and do stretching to try to avoid being too sore.

Today’s run wasn’t the greatest training run of my life, but having three hours to myself to think and reflect on my running is always a good thing.  It really all comes down to this – regardless of my oversights on fuel and hydration, I am sixteen miles stronger than I was when I woke up this morning.  And for that, I’m pretty proud.

Lee     at 4:27 pm

Is it weird that I have the same shirt and both you and Casey are wearing in those pictures?

(although, my ING Georgia one is for the half-marahton)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha that’s funny. That Atlanta marathon was HILLY!!

Ashley     at 4:30 pm

Beautiful running location! Jealous!

Jul     at 4:34 pm

what a gorgeous run. and a gorgeous post. and… my mouth is watering. where did you buy such wonderful-looking bread?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Local bakery from the farmer’s market!

Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize)     at 4:37 pm

Congrats on the accidental 16! I believe that there is more to learn from bad runs than good ones, so go you for sticking it out!

I ran 11 in the rain yesterday and it wasn’t exactly the best experience. Unfortunately, living in Vancouver means there is absolutely no way I can train for any distance event without doing a few of my long runs in the pouring rain.

I too have made the mistake of forgetting to bring food with me on a long run. It resulted in a fairly desperate 7-11 stop, it wasn’t pretty.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Agreed. I always feel more introspective and emotional on bad runs, which usually leads to good insight or awareness that helps me down the road.

Jenny     at 4:40 pm

I just wanted to comment and tell you how much I love and appreciate your blog! Between you and neverhomemaker.com I’m constantly inspired to keep pushing myself. Plus, your recipes are mouth-watering. Reading your posts always put me in a good mood, so I thought maybe this note might do the same for you!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hi Jenny! Thank you so much :) I am so happy to hear that you enjoy it, and you definitely helped my mood as well. THANKS!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 4:41 pm

I am so inspired – mileage rather than time is what matters. I always felt like a failure for walking but now I realize it’s ok. Gonna go for mileage at the gym later today

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Sometimes walking is necessary. All that matters is that you keep moving, and don’t give up. :)

Rachel @ FitFunandFabulous     at 4:45 pm

Wonderful post today!!

lauren     at 4:46 pm

And….that’s exactly how my post-long run recovery baths look :) A smoothie or chocolate almond milk on the side!

Please do share that route – we’ll be in DC when I have a 16 mile run scheduled.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

For sure! You will be able to get to this trail in less than a mile from your hotel! :)

jamie @ jamelafamela     at 4:54 pm

i wish i had a big bathtub like that to soak in after a long run! at least you got the monkey off your back ;)

Theodora     at 4:56 pm

I lived in D.C. for seven years, but sadly didn’t start running until I moved to NYC, so I never ran on this trail. Can we run on this trail the next time I visit DC? :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES! This trail was actually very similar to how it was in Chicago – right on the water front with beautiful views! I would love to run together again. :)

Anne     at 5:12 pm

You go, girl!!! Love the pics – you are very blessed indeed to be in such a great place! :)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 5:13 pm

I’m the same way, if I don’t get a run scheduled in when I’m supposed to, it makes me feel very unsettled all day! I would love that jacuzzi tub for ice baths as well!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 5:30 pm

Congrats on the run! Sounds like the perfect way to feel better to me…a warm bath and a smoothie!

carrie     at 5:32 pm

That is funny that you had to divert the long run to Monday morning. I also had to change mine to a Monday morning long run, which is such a strange thing for me. I had to do a pre-work long run, which I have never attempted. I was actually thinking about your training today and wondering how it was going. I bet you are enjoying the cooler temps!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The Monday morning long run felt VERY weird, and not really in a good way. I will remind myself of that the next time I decided to skip on Sunday!

Stacey     at 5:35 pm

I’m proud of you for even GOING on your run :) If it were me, I probably would’ve let the guilt ride me all day, and just thought “Oh, I can do it tomorrow”. I’m so jealous of the scenery, by the way! It looks amazing, you are a lucky girl to live where you do!

Ashley     at 5:39 pm

Oh my gaaaawd, smoothie in a bubbly tub sounds like the most amazing thing everrrr!!! Your run sounds awesome. Chris + I went on a bike ride along the mountains last night that was so completely breathtaking I almost fell off my bike a few times. It was right as the sun was setting and everything just looked so gorgeous. I feel so lucky!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I want to see mountains!! :) I’ve only been to CO once, on a ski trip to Steamboat. It was absolutely breathtaking – you are a lucky duck!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 5:55 pm

Wow – what a great run – despite the lack of water / fuel! And that bath looks amazing!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:55 pm

Congrats on completing your run! You are inspiring to me as a runner just starting to do longer runs- I’m training for my first half!
A smoothie in the tub- how luxurious :-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Congrats on your first half – that is awesome!

Jen     at 6:45 pm

Congrats on 16 miles! What a beautiful route. I want to come run there! And I can never get fuel right either.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You know you are welcome ANY time!! Come run with me! Actually, you are fast. So you run, and I will bike next to you. :)

Kelly     at 6:55 pm

I ran a 5k in yesterdays rain and it sucked! I can’t imagine 15 would have been any fun.

Estela @ Weekly Bite     at 7:10 pm

I love running on Mt. Vernon trail :) So pretty!

Courtney     at 7:44 pm

Good for you for getting out there!

I am just asking out of sheer nosiness, but do you eat any kind of nut butter other than PB2? I feel like I have been reading your blog for several months now and you have not succumbed to the goodness of flavored nut butters? If not, you should be indoctrinated ; )

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You are allowed to be nosy – no worries. :) I actually DON’T eat any other PB, but that’s because I have zero self-control around it. I’m actually planning to write a post about that this week! Any time I’ve bought a jar of almond butter or chocolate peanut crack, I eat the entire thing in like three days – NOT good! :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black     at 8:21 pm

I’d kill for a hot bath right now!!!

Lauren     at 8:47 pm

You have run 5 marathons!!!! Good for you girl! That’s so awesome! :)

Dee     at 8:52 pm

Wow! You are such a rock star! You go girl!

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 8:58 pm

Awesome job on your 16 miles. I have only ever tackled 4 at most, but I am gearing up to start train for a 1/2 marathon I want to run in March.
P.S. I love your blog, it makes me want to run more and maybe even try for a whole marathon someday!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

So glad that you like the blog :) Congrats on training for the half-marathon – that is awesome! And don’t forget, 4 miles is still a big accomplishment – a lot of people can’t even run one!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:11 pm

Go you! I’m proud of your run – and how cool is it to run through DC and see all those awesome sights?

Rachel     at 9:24 pm

Like you, I live in a “tourist destination” (NYC), and it still amazes me that the places I run by on an 18-miler, say from Central Park down to the financial district, across the Brooklyn Bridge, all over–people travel from all over the world to see. It’s like your DC–how lucky are we to run against such backdrops?!
Nice job on the run! I love seeing someone else tackle the big ones.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

EXACTLY. I kept seeing those DC Duck boats and double decker buses full of tourists, and was thinking how crazy lucky I am to get to live here year round. I have been to NYC, but never run there (was in my pre-athletic days). Need to add it to the list!

Laura @ spokesnoats     at 9:28 pm

That bread looks seriously good!

Billy     at 9:37 pm

Hi Emily, glad you loved the trail. I work in Crystal City and do my best to run the trail Monday thru Friday. The only other place that comes close is running in San Diego CA. Take care and hope to see you on the trail someday.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I haven’t been to San Diego, but it’s on my list of places to travel! Fun that we’re running on the same trail!

ilana     at 10:27 pm

Great job, Emily! Wasn’t it so beauteous today? I have never run Mt. Vernon trail and now I really want to! My ankle was bothering me so I did not run today but hoping to do 6 miles later this week. :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 10:33 pm

i ran a 5k in the pouring rain on sat so i totally understand you not wanting to do your long run in the rain!

Ana     at 10:55 pm

That smoothie looks so good!
Congratulations on your run Emily! It is so nice to read and feel your happiness for the new town you are living in, I am totally happy for you in this new phase of your life!
Also, I think it is the most wonderful thing to see you and Casey working out together and motivating one another. Reading your post I could tell you were totally happy to see him when you were heading back in the bridge.
Sometimes seeing others happy makes us happy too, and this is how I felt today reading your post!
So glad things are going well on your way, you deserve it!
Ana

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you! It’s so nice to motivate and support each other – I think it makes a huge difference. So glad I was able to make you happy. :)

Ana     at 10:57 pm

Oh, is that Vega Shake and Go good? I have been eying that on whole foods lately but it is so $$$… I really wanted to try it. Have you tried the other flavors too?>
Ana

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The flavor is good, but I don’t really use it the way it is intended. You are supposed to just “shake it up” with water and create a protein drink, but I prefer to blend it with fruit and ice. Chocolate is the only flavor I’ve tried. Did you see my post where we made our own version of the expensive Vega protein powder?

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 1:00 am

That looks like the Garmin Forerunner 305… I’m thinking about getting one, too: would you buy it again if you needed a new one tomorrow?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It’s actually the 205 – the less expensive and older model. And YES, I would buy it again. The only difference is that it doesn’t have the heart rate monitor, and from talking to many people with the 305, no one uses that anyways.

Heidi     at 1:20 am

What a beautiful place to run! I just finished reading your running section and found it so inspiring. Im trying to gather the strength to run a 15k and have to say your running recaps really helped me out. Its all about confidence!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES – as long as you believe in yourself, you have nothing to be scared of. What’s the worst that can happen? :)

Chase (TheChaseProject)     at 7:19 am

I haven’t tried this trail yet! I’ll have to go find it =)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Girl you are missing out. Come down here and run with me!

Katie from Run Little Legs!     at 7:38 am

Gah! I am SO JEALOUS. I love that trail. I also love going across the Key Bridge. Your blog is making me more and more nostalgic for DC (even though I am only 1 hour away and my bf still lives there!) You must run along the C&O canal then go to Sweet Green for fro yo. I like the W&OD trail, too. It’s nice, just not as nice as the other ones in my opinion. Ahh! DC is the best place in the world!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have read about those trails but haven’t tried them yet. My wrong turn yesterday was actually onto Four Mile Trail, headed towards W&OD – whoops! Can I get to C&O from Alexandria?

Katie from Run Little Legs! Reply:

Yes! You can get to the C&O from Alexandria. It’s not close (like 10 miles away), but you can totally bike there. Just hit the Mt. Vernon Trail til you get to the Key Bridge. Cross it over into Georgetown and pedal (or run/walk) down to the boat house: http://web.me.com/popovanna/Jacksboats10.com/Welcome.html
The entrance to the trail is right there. It’s a nice path; I’ve covered many, many miles there. Oh, and the boathouse has port-o-pots. You know, just in case!
Also, if you are looking for local races, Pacers is the store that hosts a bunch around DC. It’s by far my favorite running store in the area. I’m doing the Clarendon Day 10K and I might do this other 10K in East Potomac Park (http://www.boorunforlife.com/). I think that DC is one of the best places in the country to run in. I love it there :)

Awesome – thank you!

Kelly     at 8:13 am

You did my run (or at least part of what I covered when I did 22 a week ago!) :)

Glad you’re enjoying the new scenery and the new digs. Can’t wait to set something up!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I LOVE that trail!! Sooooo pretty.

Kristy     at 8:51 am

That bread and that tub, can I go ahead and invite myself over? :-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The bread is all gone, but you are welcome to come take a bath. :)

Maya     at 8:54 am

I just read on No Meat Athlete that you were at the DC Vegfest this past weekend. Another blogger and I attended the festival, too (I go to University of Maryland only a few metro stops away from DC) I hope to attend a blogger meet up should you arrange one soon!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh how fun, and sorry we missed each other! I am definitely hoping to get something together SOON, and I will keep you posted. :)

Liz     at 9:13 am

Hi Emily!

Congrats on the great blog. Meridith (Denison DG) told me about it a few weeks ago and loves it too! As for hydration, I tend to use the GoLite lumbar pack with one bottle but you can use their two bottle style as well. Also, when I go super long, I tend to cary a CamelBak backpack or bladder as I like to drink lots during the run.

Best of luck with your running!

Cheers,
Liz – Denison DG, class of 04

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Averbeck! Fun that you found the blog, and so good to hear from you. :) I have issues with carrying water – those belts and bottles make me feel really sloshy and off-balance, same with a CamelBak. I feel like I have tried everything! But clearly I need to figure out a better solution than just hoping for water fountains. :)

Hope you’re doing well!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 9:25 am

That bird seed bread looks so delicious! Esp with jam & nut butter. mmmm. perfect fuel!
Heidi xo

Jocelyn     at 9:26 am

Where do you get your “babydoll” workout tank tops? I love them!

Jocelyn @ EnthusiasticRunner     at 9:37 am

Where do you get your “babydoll” workout tank tops? I love them!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

They are Champion running tanks – also have something similar at Target. You can click the link to see the exact shirt on Amazon!

Jocelyn @ EnthusiasticRunner Reply:

Thanks!! I love how you responsed to everyone!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I do my best, even if sometimes it’s a day later. That’s why the email notifications are so handy. :)

steph @ goeatapeach     at 9:42 am

eating to fuel long training runs is so tricky! getting enough calories but not having anything weighing you down and sitting in your stomach.. tough. i have found calorie density helps with this, aka peanut butter. that bread looks fab though!

but long runs are much easier when there’s new territory to explore, eh? especially when the “new territory” is the nation’s capitol.

also, i must try the ice bath- i found after that half marathon that all the stretching in the world wouldn’t keep me from getting sore.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 9:49 am

“Night and shining helmet”…haha. I laughed aloud. Made my day. Congrats on the run, but I agree you must be MAD to think you could go without fuel. Silly girl, you!

I know, I know. :)

Carrie     at 10:51 am

First, great blog! Second, I have a random question that is wholly unrelated to this post: when you use frozen fruit, how do you thaw it? When I attempt this, it ends up mushy and juicy and gross.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I never really thaw my frozen fruit – usually just put it straight into oatmeal (so it cooks), or blend in a smoothie. I agree, it gets very mushy and weird.

Carin     at 10:56 am

I’ve been running for years and years and I still have trouble dealing with the guilt of non-running days (or nowadays, just non-workout days). And as for the ice vs. warm water on sore muscles, I decided about a year ago to trust my instincts (kind of like with food cravings). If my body wants heat, it gets heat! Love your description of the run – and having the monument to yourself!

Natalie @ simply fit. simply clean.     at 11:24 am

As someone who can run four miles max, I love reading your running posts. I’ve never been a runner & am forcing myself to run to build an appreciation for it. I read your race recaps & how you started running a few weeks ago & I must say, I keep your words in the back of my mind when planning for my first 5k training. Thank you!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Very cool – happy to inspire. :)

Corey - The Runner's Cookie     at 11:30 am

Always something to learn from long run flops! I totally know what you mean about forgetting to do obvious things (like bring fuel on 15 mile runs) – it’s pretty much the #1 rule to bring water and gels/food, but somehow I sometimes totally neglect it! So weird.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 4:10 pm

…and now they are my new favorite tanks, too :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hurrah! I’m not letting myself buy ANY more! :)

Sarah     at 9:04 pm

I don’t fuel well either and I don’t know why! I don’t want to eat too much at the risk of it not digesting, but I went out for a run this afternoon and had zero energy!

On the bright side, I just ordered a garmin! I’ve been using a nike/iPod sensor, but it’s not GPS enabled and my distances/speeds aren’t always accurate. Can’t wait to look down at my wrist and have an accurate read during my runs!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I used to use Nike Plus too, but it was really inaccurate. You will love your Garmin!

Jess @ NZ Girl Runs     at 6:39 am

I would love to run in DC, it looks so pretty! Lucky you, getting to run in such a lovely city!