Our House: The Kitchen Revealed.

After two weeks of shopping, hanging, organizing, and cleaning – the most important room in the house is FINALLY ready to be shared.

Welcome to our kitchen!

Let’s start the tour on the “cooking” side of the room.  The minute I walked in to this kitchen I fell in love – hardwood floors, stainless appliances, cherry cabinets, beamed ceiling, and pretty green walls.  And considering our prime location and the typical house size here, this kitchen is actually really BIG!

My goal for our kitchen (and really, every room of this house) was to eliminate clutter and only keep out what we use every single day.  I wanted to minimize what would be kept on the counter tops, and make good use of cabinets and shelving in order to organize the rest.

The ONLY thing I wish I could swap is the electric stove.  And actually, as far as electric stoves go, this one is really nice and clean.  But the culinary student in me still longs for gas flames.

One of the few things I set out on the counters were my cooking utensils – spoons, whisks, knives, etc.  I love having them out in my Ball jars, easy to grab when I’m working at the stove.

To the right of the stove, I have all my oils and vinegars in a tall cabinet, along with sweeteners and some liquid baking ingredients.

And in my ONLY under the counter cabinet, I was able to fit almost all of my pots and pans.  I bought a really handy pot stacking organizer so that they don’t all have to sit inside each other.

In order to maximize our kitchen’s space effectively and efficiently, we bought this little rolling cart at The Container Store.  A lot of times in kitchens, you see pots and pans and appliances out on display, but I tend to think those things are bulky looking.  So instead of shoving all my nice serving pieces into cabinets to collect dust, I swapped them with the appliances and displayed all my pretty bowls and platters instead.

Hanging above the cart is one of my favorite food photos from our wedding (taken by the amazing Shannon).  Our cakes were so pretty and delicious, and I love seeing them every time I walk into the room.

The weird thing about this kitchen
is that there is essentially ZERO under-counter storage – most of that space is occupied by the stove, sink, and dishwasher.  So I went the unconventional route and loaded up what should have been the bottom half of my pantry with all of our appliances!  It is SO easy to grab these and put them back after each use.

The smaller top half of our pantry is full of things like baking supplies, canned goods, protein powder, etc.  We really don’t eat a lot of packaged food, so actual FOOD storage was not as big of a concern.

We do most of our eating out of our beautiful collection of dried goods in ball jars, which brings me to…

The kitchen shelving!  MOST of what we eat, besides fresh fruit and vegetables come from these jars, so I wanted them as accessible as possible, and not all crammed in blocking each other in the cabinets.  (I got all of my Ball jars at a local hardware store, but if you can’t find them in your area, they are very competitively priced on Amazon.)

In my opinion, if you have to have some things visible in the kitchen, it is so much more visually appealing to show beautiful grains and beans than clunky kitchen wears.  I also brought in a few of my favorite cooking references in order to break up the display a bit.

The other set of shelving is used to display a few more favorite cookbooks, and our giant half-gallon grain jars.

There are six total – millet, quinoa, brown rice, steel cut oats, rolled oats, and wheat berries.  You would be amazed at how often we refill these!

Underneath is our hanging spice display.  At our previous house, our spices were an embarrassing MESS – baggies and mismatched bottles everywhere, making it so hard to ever find what you wanted.  This new display not only makes things so easy to locate, I’ve found that I’m using spices a lot more now that there are right in front of me.

The jars and hanging racks came from IKEA, and I got some handy little labels from the Container Store that fit perfectly on the front of the jars.

The very last piece we had been desperately searching for was a small eat-in table to fit in this space by the window.  We didn’t want to overwhelm the room, but also wanted to find something that went with the “look” of our kitchen.  After two weeks of endless hunting at IKEA, Crate & Barrel, World Market, you name it – we found ourselves back at the Container Store.  We ended up buying individual pieces – legs, shelves, wood top – and built this table ourselves.  It started out too high, so Casey got out a terrifying grinder saw, and cut the legs down to perfect table height.

After two weeks of finding nothing that we liked, I am SO glad that we ended up with what we did.  It matches the rolling cart perfectly and it looks like they were made as a set.  I think it really ties the whole look together!

It even has a handy shelf underneath where I have been storing our extra fruit and vegetables.

And the legs are perfectly spaced to fit a dog bed underneath, in case you need company while cooking.

On top is the basil plant that my mom bought us (thanks, mom!) planted in an old steel cut oats tin.

I actually brought this oatmeal tin all the way from NC to VA, specifically because I knew I wanted to eventually plant something in it.  Do you see what I see?  :)

Wow – that was a long tour!  Hope you enjoy our kitchen as much as I do.

Because like they say on MTV Cribs, this is where the magic happens.  :)

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 11:04 am

I’m freaking out about how pretty your kitchen is! Love the green wallpaper and how spacious it is. Your jars of dried goods are my favorite.

Can’t wait to see what you make in here!

Annie (Delicious Wellness)     at 11:05 am

I LOVE your kitchen, Emily! It just screams, “Creative cooking!!” It is perfect for you. Congrats on making it your own!

Thanks!!

Charlie     at 11:07 am

I love your kitchen! I have the same hanging racks for my spices ;).

Catherine     at 11:07 am

the kitchen is gorgeous!! what a great space, and I love what you guys have done with it :) Thanks for sharing!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 11:11 am

It is absolutely gorgeous! Do the spices/herbs have labels? or do you just know what each of them is?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

They have small clear labels with black writing for each spice. Although there are a few unlabeled, because the pre-made labels didn’t include every spice I have. But I know what most of them are by sight.

Kelly     at 11:11 am

Wow your table and cart do look like a set!! Good job!! :)

colleen     at 11:14 am

Love your kitchen! Very simple, clean and functional! Makes me want to reorganize mine.

Tara     at 11:15 am

Beautiful! My tiny NYC kitchen is so jealous:)

Ashley     at 11:19 am

Can’t wait to do my tour!!! I might do a video though :) It looks great. I absolutely LOVE the shelving. Our kitchen is definitely a bit smaller. I need a few more cupboards! The spices are awesome. I love that they’re so easy to see and grab. I changed mine over to ball jars and love it but I don’t have room to keep them all on display, so I have to dig around on one shelf. Boo. Looks great though!!!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I can’t wait for you to do your tour EITHER! Dying to see it from the few glimpses you’ve shared. Believe it or not, that’s not ALL the spices. There is one tragic tub of leftovers crammed into a cabinet, hehe.

Stacy     at 11:19 am

You and Casey did a fabulous job! Casey did a wonderful job at making sure the shelves are level ;) The open shelves give the feel that the space is more open. I am impressed how you have decorated and organized your home in such a short amount of time. I noticed that you have two garbage cans, one for regular garbage the other for recycling? After seeing your posts, I may need to take a trip to IKEA :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha thanks for noticing – Casey will be thrilled. He spent a lot of time and energy making sure that both sets of shelves were perfectly aligned and at the same height! And yes on garbage – one for trash, one for recycling!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 11:25 am

It looks really great, girl!

Tams     at 11:30 am

Looks great! I love those spice jars. I must admit my oft used spice collection is a horrible disorganized mess and the picture of yours has inspired me! I’ll probably be hitting Ikea this weekend! Thank you for the push!

missy     at 11:32 am

your kitchen is beautiful! i especially love the spice rack and shelving. thanks for sharing :)

Babs     at 11:35 am

I love all the jars. It looks so welcoming and encourages creative cooking.

Anne     at 11:38 am

Love it!!! Want to come and organize my kitchen now? :D

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

No way – this took me two weeks! :)

Anne Reply:

Only two weeks? Pssh – I’ve been working on mine for 3 1/2 years and it’s still not finished yet ;)

Sarah     at 11:43 am

Your kitchen is beautiful. It’s inspiring me to reorganize my own little studio kitchen!

Julie     at 11:43 am

AHH! I love your plant growing from your oatmeal can! Such a nice touch and reflective of your cooking love!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 11:48 am

I absolutely adore the grain jars! We went out a month or so ago and got bell jars to store some grains – we only have about 6 now, but it’s a start. It all looks beautiful!!

Lee     at 11:59 am

Come organize my kitchen! It looks great. I mean yours, not mine. Although I do have those same C&B dish towels.

Nic     at 12:11 pm

Your kitchen looks great, it’s very inviting and bright! Looks like the pooch likes it too :)

Maryann     at 12:12 pm

Emily,
Love,love your kitchen. You have so many talents girl.
I have to do something with my spices I have them in a can in the bottles they come in im my closet. Don’t think my hubby would let me hang them up but maybe if they looked like yours. I too decluttered some of my kitchen and packed up dishes that were my Grandma’s and packed them for my son when they get a house.
I might do the mason jar idea for my oats, etc such a good idea.
Enjoy!
Lancaster County gal

Dynamics     at 12:14 pm

You did a fantastic job of organizing and decorating your kitchen. I LOVE jars. It is just an inexpensive, very useful decorating tip. The best part of the kitchen has to be the dog bed.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I think Indy would agree. :)

Jessie     at 12:23 pm

I love what you did with the small space. You have me lusting after Ball jars and those spice racks!

Evan Thomas     at 12:25 pm

It looks so nice! I would like to set up a cot in the corner and just stay there

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha DC internship next summer? :)

Lindsay     at 12:32 pm

Love, love, love the jars of spices and grains/beans. Makes for a really great display! And practical!

Jessica @ How Sweet     at 12:34 pm

Oh my gosh I just LOVE the kitchen!

Katie from Run Little Legs!     at 12:37 pm

What a great space! I am so excited for you to start making DC home.

stephanie     at 12:39 pm

I love your kitchen! We keep beans and grains in ball jars too… they are so handy!

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]     at 12:40 pm

What a lovely kitchen! You made great use of your space, and it was really nice to see where everything went. We’re still trying to figure out the pots/pans situation. No matter what we do, it seems like a cluttered space!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I know what you mean – that stacking pan tower made a huge difference in my cupboard! I got it at Target.

suki Reply:

I looked for it at Target, but I didn’t see anything like that. Does it have a different name? If you remember the brand, let me know. Maybe I can find it on Amazon or something. ;)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 12:41 pm

Love it all! Seeing your ideas gives me ideas for my kitchen, thanks!

Abby     at 12:41 pm

I love it!!!! Especially the paint! Beautiful color!

Catherine @ Life 2.0     at 12:41 pm

I love your racks and jars! It is so pretty and functional too! Great job!

Kaye     at 12:42 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kitchen!!! Especially the ball jars with the grains and the spice rack. I am definitely going to make a trip to IKEA to see if I can replicate the spice rack! Thanks for a great tour of an inspiring kitchen :)

You’re welcome! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite     at 12:42 pm

I love all the organizing you’ve done! It looks great!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 12:43 pm

The kitchen looks adorable and very well put together! I am with you though, I really love my gas stove. I don’t know what I would do without it! Looks great Emily!

Gwen     at 12:43 pm

BEAUTIFUL :)

LeanneRBF     at 12:46 pm

I love your kitchen Emily! It looks awesome and so inviting! :)

Sometimes it pays off to keep searching for items you truly love instead of settling with “okay” items.

When my fiance & myself moved out, we made a rule that we wouldn’t buy anything we didn’t love for our house. At times it was crazy-frustrating when we wouldn’t both agree on things, but now I have a beautiful home that I truly adore… I love everything from our bedding to our napkin holder.

Have a great day :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Exaaaaactly. Having the empty spot and no table in the kitchen for two weeks drove me crazy, but I was hell bent that we would not just settle for something to fill the space. We feel the same way – only buying things we love, and because of it I am totally in love with our whole house! :)

LeanneRBF Reply:

Yay! I’m so excited for you & Casey because I know how great the feeling is.

& the best part is you’ll feel like that for years to come!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 12:49 pm

I LOVE IT!!! It looks awesome! It is so organized!

Stacey     at 1:06 pm

I love your kitchen! Kitchens are totally my favorite room in any house and when I saw the title of this post I got very, very excited, haha :D I love all of the jars and how neat everything looks. I like that you were brave enough to display some items that would usually go into a cabinet..You guys did a great job!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

kATH     at 1:07 pm

Can’t wait to come back :)

Laura @ Tidbits     at 1:13 pm

Your kitchen is just GORGEOUS Emily!! you guys have done such an amazing job and have given me a lot of inspiration for my own. :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 1:13 pm

Fun post! I’ve been gradually transitioning to storing bulk goods in glass jars, and I love the look. I just had my first “no new plastic bags” bulk shopping trip at Whole Foods.

What do you do with the awkward bit of grain, beans, etc. that is left at the bottom of the jar when you’re ready to refill? Do you take the jars to the store, or bring the bulk goods home in plastic bags?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I can’t bring myself to lug the jars to the store, so I just use the thin plastic bags provided in the bulk aisle. Not the *most* green solution, but at least I bring my own shopping bags.

Amelia     at 1:14 pm

Love the kitchen, Emily!

One question – where did you get that amazing piece that stacks your pots & pans??? I NEEEEEED that in my life.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

TARGET! It was like $10 and literally transformed my cabinets. Soooo much easier!

Therese     at 1:14 pm

Oh my gosh, Emily! It’s soooo beautiful! And I’m also a convert to jars for my dried goods! It’s so easy, cheap and you can see what you’re getting!

Your kitchen looks so homey!

Colleen     at 1:22 pm

It looks beautiful! I love that your spices are on display instead of piled in a cabinet, like mine. I may have to take a trip to IKEA soon.

Tricia     at 1:25 pm

Looks wonderful! Seems like it will be very user friendly for you. I will be stealing your jar idea for grains- it’s a great one:)
PS: I spied some TJ Smooth & Mellow Coffee…my fave!!! Sadly there is no TJ in Louisville so I rely on my friends in TJ friendly cities.
Thanks for the fab tour!!!
Oh, and we had your vagan bean burgers last night- YUM!!! Hubby sends his compliments to you. 1 out of 2 kids liked them- will keep working on the other ;o)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yay, glad you liked the burgers!!

Laurissa Wolfram     at 1:26 pm

Oh, that looks positively lovely! Everything so neat and ordered and clean! Like a sweet culinary dream. I know that must feel amazing to walk into every morning!

Kelly     at 1:26 pm

Love, love, love your kitchen! I love that you have your spices and grains on display!

Liz @ LBBakes     at 1:27 pm

I LOVE the color of those walls! So peaceful. Thanks for sharing. :)

afarmerinthedell.wordpress.com     at 1:33 pm

Your kitchen makes me want to cook right this minute! Oh, and go to IKEA for a quick shopping trip to get those spice jars!
Love it!

Ana     at 1:37 pm

Gorgeous kitchen and I absolutely love the hanging spice rack!!
Ana

Leigh Hottman     at 1:40 pm

Love your kitchen! It is beautiful! I think my favorite is the the cozy table w/the dog pillows underneath and the plant in the oatmeal tin. I may have to steal that idea! Thanks for sharing.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut     at 1:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your organizing tips. Me and the fiance are planning on renovating his kitchen and you gave me some really good ideas on organizing the everyday items.

I spotted and love the squash on top of the refrigerator :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble)     at 2:00 pm

LOVE your new kitchen- it looks great! I have been storing dry goods in mason jars for years and haven’t thought to actually display them. I love the idea!

xo
Kris

Sara (Running with Teaspoons)     at 2:00 pm

I LOVE your kitchen! It makes me miss living in DC/NoVA, although my house wasn’t nearly as cute as yours. I especially love your spice rack … right now I have all my spices and herbs in whatever grocery store container they came in, squeezed onto a two-layer lazy Susan. I SO want to make an Ikea trip and find something like what you have – if I can figure out the wall space for it :-)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans     at 2:15 pm

I love your kitchen. Great job with the reno!!

Tina     at 2:18 pm

Love the kitchen tour. You have such a nice space. :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black     at 2:20 pm

Love it! I love all your spices, too! IT looks really cool. I have those red and bowls that you have! :)

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 2:38 pm

Your kitchen is lovely. I adore the light green colour on the walls and I think displaying your beans, grains and spices looks really nice.

Oh my gosh, it is so beautiful! Definitely similar to my dream kitchen. I love how streamlined everything is. Thanks for sharing!

Helene - Happy @ Thirty     at 3:45 pm

Your kitchen is really nice…and it looks quite big. I love the spice rack. I dont use that much spices in my food are they are lost in a cupboard and I dont think about using them. This rack is what I need ;)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 3:49 pm

I love that you hung a picture of your wedding cakes. A great way to remember your wedding!

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner     at 4:10 pm

It’s so pretty!! Love the green walls and I cannot believe how organized it is. I’d love cooking in a kitchen like that.

Elizabeth     at 4:15 pm

I love your kitchen. I am so inspired now to take my kitchen from cluttered mess to beautiful starting with bells jars! I have got to get me some for my spices and grains like you have. Such a lovely idea.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 4:55 pm

Gorgeous. Wish it was my kitchen!!

Heather     at 5:00 pm

looks great! I love how you used the jars!!!

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 5:43 pm

Fabulous!!!

Emily     at 5:59 pm

LOVE the idea of framing food photos from special events like your wedding instead of just the standard people pics! I’ve been contemplating that IKEA spice storage system for months but can’t decide if its worth the $ and extra wall space!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It was actually really inexpensive! The shelves were like $14 each, the spice racks maybe $9, and I think $30 for the spice jars total.

Dee     at 7:01 pm

I love your kitchen! Quick question, where do you get the various sized ball jars? I’ve looked for them everywhere!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I got mine at a hardware store in Charlotte, but if you click back to the original post, I added links to various sized jars on Amazon – very good prices there!

Dee Reply:

oh my gosh! thank YOU! :D

christina cadden     at 7:02 pm

Love it!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 8:22 pm

i just love your kitchen! definitely saving this post for when we get a house someday and have more flexibility in our kitchen!

gleek     at 10:07 pm

it’s a beautiful kitchen! congratulations on your move!

Rowie     at 10:12 pm

Beautiful kitchen! So usable and neat! I love your spice and grain jars. We do that too, but they are in a cupboard. I love the way they look out on that shelf!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 10:21 pm

It all looks so so perfect :) What a great job!

maria @ Chasing the Now     at 10:22 pm

Thanks for the tour! I loved it. Especially the exposed beams and all the bell jars!

Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)     at 10:40 pm

I LOVE your kitchen. Your organization is amazing! Great job at using your small space.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:13 pm

Oh, my gosh!!! The green makes it so perfect. I love the different colored towels, and all the fancy mason jars. It’s wonderful, Emily. That table looks like the place of my dreams for sitting with a cup of coffee on a rainy morning.

Z     at 11:50 pm

Heyy! Love the new kitchen set up. I have the same spice bottles and love to display them too.. definitely wanting to “up” mine to look like yours :) Curious, what kind of spices do you have there?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Aaaaaaall sorts of spices!! A lot of the usual ones, and then perhaps some less typical – seasoning blends, marjoram, cardamom, star anise – all sorts of good stuff.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 11:54 pm

I love the look of your kitchen! I absolutely love how you used the mason jars and huge grain jars, it’s very pretty and so cozy in there. It must be so nice to sit at the table right by the big window for breakfasts ;)

Ida     at 12:09 am

Your kitchen looks great! It must feel good to have everything set up in there. Love the oatmeal tin as a pot- very creative.

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 12:25 am

So smart to put your grains and beans out like that. Mine are stashed in the pantry and I recently found some lentils I had bought 3 bags of :-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha that used to happen to me too.

Mama Pea     at 12:56 am

I want your kitchen.

I just forwarded this to Pea Daddy, who I’m sure now hates you :)

I’m not kidding about coming to our house and doing this for me. I pay in vegan cookies, glitter, tutus and stickers. Please come. Now.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Can Pea Daddy hang shelves evenly and level? Otherwise Casey will need to come too. I don’t even want to know what would happen if I tried. :)

Susan     at 2:34 am

Love it! Really cute and organized! I love the basil plant in the oatmeal tin! May have to steal that idea!

Cari (Happy Little Bites)     at 7:03 am

It looks great! It’s so organized! I need to work on that in mine…

Nicole     at 7:06 am

Emily it looks great!!! It works perfect! I want one! :-P

Kristy     at 8:01 am

So much space! So organized! So awesome!

WithaSideofHope     at 8:06 am

I love your kitchen! Everything is so neat and organized! I love how you organized the spices. I really like the stainless steel appliances too! So jealous! :)

Lauren     at 8:30 am

I LOVE it. You are making me want to re-organize my kitchen.

Jillian@ Reshape Your Life     at 8:32 am

I love the kitchen! If my kitchen looked like that I would LOVE to be in there cooking!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 9:26 am

PLEASE go into decorating… I seriously adore your kitchen. Submit it to Pottery Barn & I guarantee they’ll put you in the catalog.

What am I taking away from this post? I. MUST. BUY. MASON. JARS.

STAT.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I got mine super cheap and an old timey hardware store down in Matthews. I know that’s super far from you, but if you find yourself down there…

Theodora     at 9:59 am

PRETTY! Wanna come over and do my kitchen?

AllieNic (Frisky Lemon)     at 10:06 am

I love the squash on top of the fridge! The colors of the walls and the cabinets are beautiful together! You’re so organized…I’m jealous of all of the storage space you have!

Well done!

Jill     at 10:20 am

love, Love, LOVE it! Those frying pan organizer racks are a life-saver, although I’m pretty hooked on my cast-iron pans now. I’m curious – did you do any cooking with cast-iron in culinary school? I assume it was all stainless steel?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We did SOME cooking with cast-iron, but it was mainly stainless. I have a cast-iron pan myself, but I find that since I don’t cook meat or fish anymore, I use it a lot less.

Jessica     at 10:26 am

I am in love with those shelves. And your kitchen and general.

Stephanie     at 10:36 am

how do you do it?! and by it, I mean cooking with dried beans. I saw the jars in your previous kitchen and bought them for myself and filled them with dried beans. But all of the soaking and cooking! I just can’t do it!! Any tips??

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

To be perfectly honest, I don’t do it that often. But when I DO, I do the quick method – boil in hot water for an hour!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:38 am

Can I just live in your kitchen? Please? It’s fantastic! I definitly prefer gas flames, though, so I feel your pain.

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run     at 11:07 am

This is beautiful!! LOVE The wall color, but more importantly the organization and cozy feel :) I never thought to use IKEA for those wall shelves & jars(now I’m in CO where they don’t have one yet, gah!) – but they’re perfect!

Elizabeth     at 11:10 am

what a gorgeous kitchen!!! i adore the organization

Tiffany     at 11:47 am

#1: I’m in love with your kitchen

#2: I’m in love with your blog. I just stumbled upon it today and immediately pulled up the blog roll on my own blog to add you. Beautiful.

Ang     at 2:25 pm

I love your new kitchen! I have kitchen envy for sure! Great idea with the little rolling cart to display your nice dishes. I have very little cabinet space and that would really be a help!

Kim     at 2:34 pm

Your kitchen is fantastic…love it! I am also a huge gas stove fan, so I do understand your feelings on the electric stove. It takes some adjustment!

Caitlin     at 4:12 pm

Where did you get the towels (on your oven) from? I LOVE them!

Crate and Barrel!

Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 4:13 pm

Love the look! You did a great job. I too wish I had all of my spices out in front of me, but living in a small apartment doesn’t leave me much space. Some day. :)

Tami@nutmegnotebook     at 4:16 pm

What a beautiful kitchen, so organized and peaceful looking. I save a lot of jars and reuse them for grains, cereals and such.

tammy     at 7:06 pm

Are you afraid of the jars falling and breaking? I’m afraid I’d bump into them or something.. but maybe that’s me being clumsy! haha But I love the idea especially with my minimal cupboard space!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I was at first until I saw how sturdy the shelves were. I was only really worried because the dogs are in the kitchen when we aren’t home, and I didn’t want them to get hurt. They aren’t really in a spot where I would worry about bumping them.

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com     at 11:03 pm

It is so clean and organized! I love the use of all the ball jars, it seems to reduce clutter because they are see through! I LOVE it and will use some of these ideas if we ever re-do our 1973 kitchen!

Right now it is the back yard and garden! (Beggars can’t be choosers!)

Jen

Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup)     at 11:29 pm

Aww, your kitchen is such a dream, I had to show my boyfriend your pics. I just love the easy access to your grains and spices in the jars! I want to do that!
One thing we do have the same is the tupperware containers on the top shelf and I find that so annoying because every time I go to reach for them, they fall on my head. Time to revamp my kitchen, although it is an 1/8 the size of yours:)

Libby     at 4:09 am

Just wanted to say how much I love your new kitchen. It feels very much like somewhere I’d love to spend time :-).

Libby

TheHealthyapron     at 10:52 am

what a darling kitchen and SO so creative with all your labeling and jars! love it!!

Lynna     at 1:05 am

I LOVE the color of your kitchen. The organization is beautiful too. I can’t wait to have a kitchen of my own!

Nicole     at 8:10 am

PS for those of you looking for the Ball Jars you can find them at Target and Walmart too! (at least here in upstate NY!) I know Walmart has a good section of canning items and Target had them randomly on the end of an isle when I was there last week!

Sunday Funday | Tom Boy That Wears MakeUp     at 1:35 pm

[...] but nonetheless, check out the one picture where her tupperware is on the top shelf. Click Here to see her kitchen and the [...]

Beautiful Asian Women :     at 1:22 am

electric stoves are smokeless that is why they are better than conventional stoves “

bhaguart.com     at 2:08 pm

it’s so modern classic…loves for the dog LOL

Katie @ The Boston Marathoner     at 10:05 pm

Hi Emily! Where did you get the shelves that you have your Ikea spice racks hanging from? I am looking for them on Ikea with no luck – also, my living room is the exact same color as your kitchen!

the herbal kitchen: home makeover edition « bein' good to me     at 10:32 pm

[...] was inspired by Emily’s kitchen from her blog The Front Burner and I think it turned out pretty [...]

Katherina     at 6:21 pm

I just snagged 5 one-quart mason ball jars for $1 each at a local Hobby store after being inspired by this post! LOVE this kitchen, can’t wait to see what your Seattle kitchen will look like!

Alton     at 12:41 pm

Discovered you blog through digg I have to admit I m astounded along with your articles!

Log Cabins Loch Lomond     at 3:12 am

A real kick…

I like the topics but there is a bit too much advertising on your site….

Tay     at 4:11 pm

Hi Emily,

I was wondering if you could tell me what size mason jars you used to store your cooking utensils. It might be the angle, but they look taller and thinner than the wide-mouth pint jars. Thanks so much! I hope your move into your new neighborhood is going smoothly. I can’t wait to see how you organize your new kitchen! :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Home Life: A Kitchen Tour.     at 4:06 pm

[...] may remember from our previous kitchens in both Old Town and Fremont, we had some metal shelves with our spice racks hanging below.  The shelves [...]

Annalisa Jennie     at 8:46 am

YOURURL.com

Ulrike     at 5:47 pm

Notre dofus hack est enfin disponible gratuitement en téléchargement.

Ne perdez pas de temps il n’est disponible qu’en quantité limitée.
Notre dofus hack est garantie de non-bannissement
avec pleins de possibilité intégrée vous garantissant une sécurité parfaite.

Il est nécéssaire de comprendre que notre logiciel n’est pas compliquée d’accès et vous permet une utilisation sereine en tout cas
En plus vous allez pouvoir faire des kamas très simplement mais en plus vous êtes sur
d’être en toutes sécurité grâce à notre façon de programmation
unique utilisant des techniques utilisés par les plus grands du moment.

Nicole     at 8:05 am

I LOVE your spice organization and I really want to replicate it! I found the jars and shelves you used at Ikea, but I’ve been searching and searching the website for the hanging racks that you have the spices on. Did you get those from Ikea too? And if you did, do you know what the name of it is? I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks so much! & Great job with the decorating!

A Kitchen Tour + Weekend Things     at 4:13 pm

[...] to my incessant blog reading, I remembered Emily’s creative use of the IKEA Grundtal shelves and bought some for the back wall of our kitchen, next to [...]

Ellen     at 9:01 pm

Wow…so serene–I’d love to walk into a kitchen like yours, with no clutter to distract the eyes! I also love that you framed one of your favorite photos and love seeing it every time you walk into the kitchen…I love it when I put pictures up, because I have that “happy” feeling walking by them!
Also, you mentioned the amazing Shannon, but the links don’t work–does she have a website? Your wedding pictures are amazing! Thanks

Erlinda     at 8:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your
efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thank you once again.

corporate gifts singapore pens     at 8:41 pm

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s
a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire
out a developer to create your theme? Superb work!