Sunday at Arlington.

We woke up yesterday morning to nothing but grey skies and an endless stream of drizzling rain.  Since we weren’t exactly racing out the door to go sightseeing in the rain, we took our time and had an extra special breakfast.  Vegan French toast – round two.

A special breakfast request from our special visitor from Ohio.  Just as good the second time around, mmmm.

We waited for the skies to clear, and eventually made our way up to Arlington National Cemetery.

I have visited the cemetery once before when we visited last summer, but there are always new things to explore and see, and Lindsey had never actually toured the grounds.

The morning rain had scared off a lot of the tourists, so the place was relatively empty, as far as DC sightseeing spots go.

Just a few minutes after we walked in, a gentle breeze rolled in and the sun came out, making for the perfect conditions for afternoon exploring and beautiful photos.

We toured some of the major gravesites, and saw all of the Kennedy family, William Howard Taft, and some decorated war heroes.

On our way across the cemetery, we stopped for a few minutes to watch some sort of recognition ceremony being held for a group of Vietnam Veterans.

At the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, we watched the Changing of the Guard – a quiet and respectful ceremony.

And then we made our way up to the top of the cemetery grounds to see some of the amazing architecture, memorials, amphitheaters, and more.

IMG_0<br />
960 (640x479)

The gravesite of the crew of the Challenger made me really sad.  I was only six when it happened, but I can still remember sitting with my mom in the hair salon, and seeing it explode on live television.  Crazy how those memories can stick with us for so long.

The weather was PERFECT – jeans and a t-shirt, my favorite season.

Our last stop was to head over the Robert E. Lee’s historical home on the hill.

It was a GIGANTIC mansion from the 1800’s, all under restoration, but still interesting to walk through and think about all the history that had happened within those walls.

I am so happy to live so close to Blake again!  Since college we’ve only seen each other a handful of times each year.  Now we see each other several times a week!

Now we just need this girl to join us!  :)

My sightseeing philosophy is to pick ONE thing to do, and do it completely so that you can appreciate it and not rush through.  We spent about five hours (and countless miles) walking the cemetery and appreciating all those who died serving our great country.

After hours of walking and no lunch, we are all famished, so we headed to Dupont Circle for a late lunch/early dinner.  I was so hungry that I have no idea where we actually ate – Luna’s something??  Even though it was kind of a bar-food type of place, I was pleased to find several vegetarian options.  Casey and I split this pile of vegetarian chili nachos (sans cheese and sour cream).  Yum!

I was a little disappointed that when I ordered the appetizer and asked for no cheese and no sour cream, the waitress responded with, “I don’t know how good that’s going to be.”  I assured her that we would enjoy it.

My entree was the veggie burger, but done as a wrap, with added slices of avocado.

It was pretty good.  Not a pre-made burger, but instead made fresh with lentils, red beans, and black beans.  I wish I had read the toppings more closely and opted out of all that red onion – eeek!

I got sweet potato fries on the side, and they were horrible.  Worst fries I’ve ever been served.  There is a reason you never see sweet potato steak fries – because sweet potatoes are too hard and need to be cooked too long to be cut in such a large size.  These were burnt on the outside, raw on the inside, and I didn’t eat a single one.

I didn’t really care though because, let’s be honest – the best part of any meal is the pickle.  :)

After dinner, we headed home and curled up on the couch to watch the season premier of The Amazing Race.  I am trying to convince Casey that we need to make an audition tape for next season.  I really think we could win!  We are both incredibly athletic and will push ourselves to extremes, he is really good with maps and directions, and I am a maniac driver that won’t take no for an answer.  :)

Sadly, we were up at 5am to whisk Lindsey back to the airport.  The visit was just WAY too short.  Looking forward to seeing her again, along with both of our families back in Ohio in just a few short weeks!

Don’t forget – voting for Project Food Blog is now OPEN, so if you liked my classic take on Thai Green Curry, please VOTE for me!  :)

No Comments so far

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:28 pm

Agreed. The best part of almost any meal is a pickle :)

Going to vote for you now- GOOD LUCK!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:29 pm

PS- also going to go make your veggie soup… it’s that kind of day :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 12:32 pm

Luna’s Bar and Diner? I think I’ve heard of that…I live just outside DC! I think you would like a place called Teaism, they have a couple of locations throughout the city. They have a lot of vegetarian options too!

Here’s the website if you’re interested: http://www.teaism.com/Restaurant/Home2.html

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) Reply:

Lots of Vegan and vegetarian options! Oops

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Funny we actually WENT there because I thought the menu looked really good, but my friend Blake veto’ed it because he wanted to go to a sit-down restaurant. Casey and I will definitely be back there soon!

Ann     at 12:36 pm

I have placed my vote for you! Good luck!!

Thank you!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 12:37 pm

I am pretty sure you went to Luna Grill and Diner on Connecticut Ave (to make matters even more confusing there is a Cafe Luna a few blocks away on P street) – their fries (regular or sweet potato) have never been great sadly, but their other food can be solid. Definitely tons of veggie options. I second Laura’s suggestion of Teaism in Dupont. Also: Firefly always has a solid veg option.

Yep, that was it!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 12:38 pm

It looks like you had a nice day catching up with old friends.

Michelle @ IronDivas     at 12:45 pm

Sadly, I live in this area and still have not seen all the sights… As I get older, I want start to want do these things even more. I was actually by the Monument & Lincoln Memorial this past Saturday doing the Prevent Cancer 5k by the Tidal Basin. It was soo lovely, I have to get back down there to sight see some more!

Congrats on the 5K!

Michelle @ IronDivas Reply:

Thanks… I am tackling my first 10k on Nov. 6th! And I am even gathering up the courage to register for the Iron Girl in Columbia, MD next year!… And to think, I NEVER considered my self a runner until this year : )

PS… Your blog is very motivational for me, I have come to really enjoy the blog communities that I have found recently… It’s like a whole new world, lol.

Lindsay Reply:

I did the Columbia Iron Girl its first year. Its an awesome race and a great first triathlon! Definitely do it!!

caitie     at 12:48 pm

I havent watched yet but a girl I went to high school with a few years ago is on Amazing Race this season. Jenna is her name, and her partner is her birth mother whom she just met!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

YES! They are kind of awkward since they don’t know each other, but I hope they make it far so that they can spend as much time together as possible.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 12:50 pm

The changing of the guard is such a beautiful ceremony. And yes, the pickle is the best part of the meal…I will always fight you for it!

Maryann     at 12:50 pm

Emily,
Thank you sooooo much for the Arlington pics. I’ve never been there and want to really go someday. We only live in PA but time hasn’t allowed it yet. Work always an issue.
Anyway the challenger stone was amazing. If you ever get back and get a Kennedy gravesite photo that would be great. I always have followed the Kennedy’s.
French toast looks good and I’m going to make them this weekend after I get the chia seeds.
Guess you both recovered and it’s good your back full steam ahead.
Blessings
Lancaster pa gal

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The Kennedy grave site is pretty impressive. Buried right next to Jackie and two of their children. It was really crowded at that spot, so I didn’t get a picture, but next time we go back I’ll make sure to take one for you.

Becky Reply:

Arlington (along with all of DC)is even more beautiful when the cherry blossom trees are in bloom. I highly recommend a visit back then!

Beth     at 1:04 pm

I love your Arlington photos! I can’t believe I’ve lived within walking distance of the cemetery for years but have never actually entered it. Now I really need to go :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh my gosh GO THERE! It’s gorgeous, and very peaceful.

Colleen     at 1:06 pm

You two should totally try out for the Amazing Race!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 1:21 pm

I love your approach to sightseeing. The people I am usually with (aka my family) are more intent on seeing as much as they can in a short period of time, so I often feel like I am rushing through the sights.

You two should definitely audition for the Amazing Race! I would actually watch it then :)

Whitney     at 1:24 pm

Two of my friends from college are on Amazing Race! (The Princeton duo) – awesome guys!

Whitney Reply:

Oh, and I should say – they’re not nearly as nerdy as they might seem!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha I like them!! They have a good attitude. :)

Nicole     at 1:29 pm

Hi Emily- a restaurant suggestion in the general vicinity is Founding Farmers down on Pennsylvania Ave. http://www.wearefoundingfarmers.com/

I was just there on Sunday and when I saw this post I thought you would absolutely love Founding Farmers. It’s a farm-to-table kind of restaurant and is surprisingly easy on the wallet. I went for brunch but the dinner looks good too.

Thanks for another fun post :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

That sounds great, and I’ve never heard of it! We will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Christina     at 1:41 pm

I’ve wanted to be on The Amazing Race for a looong time now, they just need a Canadian version.

You should try for it, I think it would be an awesome experience!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 1:51 pm

I’ve been to Arlington a few times and have a different experience – emotionally – each time. It’s such a unique place. I’m glad you’re taking advantage of all the amazing history and culture in DC!

Jen     at 2:21 pm

Eww sweet potato steak fries? Really?
Ahh we used to want to be on Amazing Race too. Then we realized I had the weakest stomach in the world and would refuse to eat weird, gross obscure stuff… Like seafood.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Hahaha true. I would make Casey eat the gross stuff.

Diana     at 2:37 pm

Emily,

I’m not sure if anyone else has mentioned this – but your posts (approx the last 5) have not shown up in my Google reader. I’m not sure if it is just my reader, or a general problem – but I wanted to let you know. I’ve been so sad without your blog for the past few days. Today I stumbled on over to your actual URL and found all your posts! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Aaaahh not good. I think the problem is that I had to disable a redirection plugin, which affected the people still subscribed to an old feed address. Update your Reader to this one and see if it fixes the problem:

Thanks for letting me know!

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]     at 3:00 pm

Sweet potato fries are so good, but when messed up, they can be absolutely awful! :/

Heather     at 3:17 pm

what beautiful photos! I havent been to DC since I was 13, but I loved it then so I know I would love it now, being the history nerd I am! turned out to be a beautiful day!
sorry about the sweet potato fries, what a bummer. I love a good batch of sweet potato fries!

alana fiks     at 3:23 pm

the pickle is always the best part…
i am a pickle expert and i say DOWN WITH SWEET PICKLES!!!!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 3:35 pm

Those sweet potato fries don’t even look good. That’s kind of sad the waitress said the nachos wouldn’t be good without sour cream or cheese. Being on The Amazing Race would be awesome!

kATH     at 3:47 pm

Gorgeous photos!!!

LeanneRBF     at 3:50 pm

I think you two should definitly put yourselves out there to possibly audition for the amazing race! It cant hurt to try!

Those sweet potato fries don’t look so good… :( what a dissapointment.

Since I stumbled on sweet potato fries, I would almost say I like them more then normal regular plain ol fries!

Oh my goodness, I have totally have had waiters/waitresses say stuff like that to me before. What do they care? They don’t have to eat it!

Yeah, the fries really don’t look good. I wouldn’t have eaten them either!

Hillary     at 4:13 pm

mmmm… i love wrapping dr. praeger’s cali veggie burgers up in a sprouted wheat tortilla with homemade pesto & veggies :)

&& yes, in a delayed reply to my previous comment: try tj’s quinoa wheat bread.

Alice     at 5:19 pm

I voted for you! Your green curry dish looked amazing!!!!

I could totally see you on the Amazing Race!! I definately think you should apply!!!

Lauren     at 6:05 pm

You’ve got my vote, Emily! I don’t think living in such a beautiful city could ever get old :)

Emilee     at 6:50 pm

I’m an Emilee from Ohio too.

Love it!

Grace     at 7:08 pm

Hi Emily – As someone mentioned above, I’m having the same issue with your posts not showing up in my Google Reader. I wouldn’t have known that you had newer posts if I didn’t follow you on twitter also. Just a heads up! Glad you had a good day at Arlington yesterday!

Hey Grace,
I was having some redirection issues, and had to disable a redirection plugin, which has affected the people that were still subscribed to an old feed address. Update your reader to the new one and you should be fine!

Thanks for the heads up!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 7:48 pm

I’m with you on the do one sightseeing thing & do it well. Makes it so much more enjoyable. And it’s always annoying when servers try to talk you out of their food because they think it’s too healthy or something. So rude! I know they’re trying to be helpful but still… it’s happened to me a few times & it’s annoying! Beautiful pictures!

Lauren     at 8:50 pm

I think you have such a great philosophy on sightseeing. Really, I feel way to rushed whenever we visit any monumental site. You can’t really appreciate something as significant as Arlington in 10 min.

What a great day and a great time spent with Lindsey! :) I’m sure she is sad to leave.

Emily     at 9:30 pm

I really dislike when servers in restaurants project their own food tastes on your orders. Once my mom ordered lima beans and carrots as her sides at Cracker Barrel and the waitress literally wrinkled her nose at my mom! This same waitress told 13 year old me that she didn’t think I could eat an adult-sized meal. Call me crazy for wanting real chicken instead of chicken nuggets! :)

Ashley     at 9:32 pm

Great post! Yum to the breakfast of course. I like your philosophy on picking 1 site to see for a whole day and doing it right. It would make me remember it so much more. I hate rushing! Also hate raw red onion :) Glad you had fun with your friends!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:36 pm

Hahah that waitress comment was totally a mood killer! What the heck!

It looks like you an awesome day!

Marisa     at 9:40 pm

I just wanted to say that I love your blog. All of your posts are so thoughtful, well written and full of great pictures! :) And I see you share my love for pickles…ever made them?

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 10:51 pm

your vegan french toast looks divine.

as do the nachos – very good indeed without the cheese/sour creme :)

Heidi xo

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 12:30 am

Strangely, I was in DC on September 11th, doing some research in the Library of Congress. I got evacuated (which was really “kicked out, and don’t come back”), and then I was just sorta… stuck… without any ability to *leave* DC or do the work I’d come to do. So one day I walked out to Arlington and climbed the hill because I wanted to see the hole in the Pentagon, really to understand why *exactly* I was in a DC-limbo… and I didn’t look at anything else. Sure, I’m Canadian, but knowing that you spent 5 hours there, I’m wondering if I couldn’t have made more of the effort!

alexe @ soyaetchocolat.com     at 6:54 am

I visited Washington on a high school field trip back in 2002. The feeling is probably very different if you visit the cemetery with a couple of friends or 150 teenagers who are on the trip only to party… I should definitely go back. :)

Stacey     at 7:39 am

All of your pics remind me of when I went to D.C.! I wasn’t able to see the Jeffereson house, so next time, it’s a MUST. Glad you were able to spend some time with your friend, I know it’s hard living in different states! My best friend lives in G.A. And ew! Those sweet potato fries LOOK horrible! I couldn’t even tell what they were just from the pic

tina     at 9:16 am

i’m coming to DC in a few weeks… i don’t know if i’ll make it to arlington, but looks like a great tourist stop- i did it once as a kid!

Beverly     at 10:52 am

Please try out for the Amazing Race! You guys would be perfect for that show!

cathy b. @ bright bakes     at 11:37 am

..and so trials seem to come to all of us who just want to enjoy yummy healthy food! It is always so disappointing to me when we end up at places where they seem to completely care LESS about healthy food that tastes great..especially when we are so used to it at home! :)

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox     at 4:03 pm

Great philosophy for sight seeing. I used to be a tour guide in DC and was always astounded when groups would only schedule an hour for Arlington. That’s barely time to get through the front visitor’s center and up the hill. Lovely photos!

Great food too. Voted for ya! Great looking curry.