For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

The First Day.

Our first full day at the new house and it was just as glorious as I had dreamed it would be!  Even though we had half the truck to still unload, Casey and I got up early to take the dogs out for their first walk in the new neighborhood.  They are still adjusting and excited, so they are pulling SO hard on their harnesses – it makes it very hard to walk them!

We explored the adorable streets of Old Town and with every passing block I was reminded more and more of why we moved here.

We headed up a few blocks to King Street, where we suddenly stumbled across the most amazing farmer’s market on the plaza of the Old Town City Hall!  There were soooo many vendors and people out already at 7am on a Saturday – my kind of place.  Too bad we had our dogs with us so we couldn’t venture in (they are not so good in crowds), but we are already marking our calendars to head there next weekend.

On our way back to the house, I stopped inside this cute place called Firehook Bakery to pick up some breakfast.  I grabbed a few different croissants and muffins to take back to the house – yum!

After some quick breakfast fuel, we were back at it unloading the truck, and ready to face the dreaded 400 pound dining room table.  Since my hands were killing me from carrying so many other boxes and pieces of furniture, I came up with the clever idea to wear our biking gloves to protect our sore hands.

The table slowly but surely made its way inside.  I had to stop to take breaks about every 20 feet, just to get it in the door!

After the disaster with the box spring yesterday, I was not giving up so easily on the table.  A few bruises and welts later, we had SUCCESS and got it to the second floor!

Meanwhile, the dogs are loving their private backyard patio.  The gorgeous cool weather this weekend was absolutely perfect for moving in and relaxing out back!

This is the scary reality of what the moving process can do an otherwise normal girl.

Many boxes and trips later, we were all moved in and piled high to the sky!  My kitchen is scaring me.

Could these two get any cuter?

Once the truck was unloaded, we wanted to take advantage of the few hours we had before it needed to be returned.  Acting on a blog reader tip (thank you, Lindsay!) we headed to the Crate and Barrel outlet that is less than a mile from our house!  It was totally meant to be because we walked in the door and found a couch that we loved within the first minute.  Love at first sight!

Getting it in the door was another story.  You guys, I know I’ve talked about moving being draining and exhausting, but this couch pushed me over the limit.  I declared that there WILL be movers when we leave this place after we got it inside!

But it was totally worth the pain, because…check out our living room so far!  I am so excited – it’s all coming together really well.  I LOVE the new couch – it has super deep cushions, which is exactly what I wanted.

Indy gave it t
he lazy dog seal of approval.

At that point it was time for a lunch break.  While Casey and I moved the couch, my mom ran around the corner to a cute little gourmet food mart and picked up some delicious avocado sandwiches – YUM.

Even though we had already had a busy day, we pushed on and headed to every mover’s paradise – IKEA!  Believe it or not, we needed a second couch, since we are making our office into a combination guest room.  Three hours later, I left a lot poorer and with a huge load of goods.

Kitchen shelves, trashcans, spice jars, coffee tables, light bulbs, a few things for my friend Blake, and a giant pullout couch!

We had a close call with the boxes almost not fitting into the car, but we arranged and rearranged several times and made it work.

Unfortunately when we brought the stuff into the house, Blake slipped and fell down the steps and twisted his ankle.  :(  Indy did his best to comfort him!

We stayed up until way too late assembling furniture and trying to sort our way through the boxes.  By tomorrow I should have some really good and organized photos for you guys!  Slowly but surely.  It’s still a mess, but it already feels like home.   :)

Happy holiday weekend!

No Comments so far

Lee     at 9:09 am

Reading this post is making me tired!

Carla     at 9:12 am

Congrats on the move!! Downtown Alexandria is SUPER CUTE! And so is your new home:)

Grace     at 9:18 am

Omg, LOVE the patio too! Lucky, lucky, lucky. I was wondering if you’d find the farmers market yesterday. :) Enjoy the rest of the long weekend!

erin     at 9:33 am

We just moved less than a month ago and it is EXHAUSTING but so great at the same time – especially if you know the new place is a better fit! That area of DC is SO NICE, you’re gonna love it!!!

chase @ the chase project     at 10:28 am

So fun! I love moving and getting such nice new fresh stuff! Spice jars from Ikea… I’m going to have to get some of those! Thanks for sharing your journey! =)

sarah k @ the pajama chef     at 10:35 am

looks like you’re making progress already! so fun. i love the new couch. :)

MA*     at 10:45 am

Hahahaha Blake looks PISSED. but your house is looking amaaaazing! The couch is incredible! xo

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You can imagine the dramatics of Blake falling down the stairs… :)

Marty     at 10:48 am

Our lives would definitely be poorer without our dogs! I love the shots of them on the lounges in the back yard and looking out the window.

Meg     at 10:49 am

Congrats on the move! I love that feeling of moving where even though you are so exhausted and it can be overwhelming…you still get that feeling of endless possibilities and exploring a new area. Good luck!

Pure2raw twins     at 11:24 am

Man, I am tired just looking at all these photos. Glad everything is going good…and have fun. I know moving can be stressful, but I also like the feeling of starting fresh ; )

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 11:35 am

I can’t wait to see what your house looks like once you are all settled in. Sorry about Blake, hope he gets better.

Good luck with the rest of the move!

Tina     at 11:44 am

I know whenever we move there will be no movers bec my husband will refuse to pay for them…but oh how nice movers would be. Your living room does look cozy though and worth the hassle.

Glad you’re falling in love with the new town even more too.

Maissa     at 12:54 pm

Oh wow! I love that Crate and Barrel couch. It looks so cozy, perfect for curling up on. Your living room is looking lovely, the whole place is. I can’t wait to see pictures of everything all put together.

I’m also super impressed with you and Casey’s ability to carry in that dining room table – you guys are super strong!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Casey is strong. I was simply determined. :)

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife     at 1:10 pm

I love the way the new place is coming together!!

Meagan     at 1:37 pm

What a long day, but it sounded so fun! Moving is fun and stressful all at the same time! I’m glad its all coming together :) Your dogs are cute!

Lisa     at 2:02 pm

Welcome to Alexandria, Emily!! I love going to the farmer’s market on King on Saturday morning and am planning to head there this coming weekend–let me know if you want to meet up!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We will be there for SURE!

Marie     at 4:28 pm

Glad you are almost all moved in and that your mom was able to come help. She is so cute in all the photos; very pretty! ;) Definitely get movers next time, the cost is so worth it, as they are super quick! The dogs are so cute and I love the new couch; it looks so comfy!

Tina     at 7:08 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! so nice. Your Mom is a saint!!!! Eddie and I read this together. We are so excited to come out there in November! What a wonderful and vital place to live!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 7:41 pm

Aww, it looks like you’re getting along! And I don’t know what you mean about the scary reality of you during the move, you just look like you mean serious unpacking business. Your couch looks so comfy – like you could sink in and forget to emerge for hours.

Chelsey     at 12:19 am

Yay!!! I love the new couch!! Loving the house!

Holly     at 6:46 am

I love your new couch!

Bridget     at 5:39 pm

I have that same hoodie from gap:) love it!

Bridget Reply:

meant to go on the previous post…

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

No matter the post, I LOVE that hoodie. I wear it far too often.

Ashley     at 11:07 pm

Yay..loving your moving in posts! CANNOT believe you carried that table up a flight of steps. Whoa. I’m glad someone else has as many kitchen boxes as I do!! Dakota + Kenna are loving it at the new house :) Your pups will get familiar with it all soon!

running shoes