For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Waking Up with Vegan French Toast.

What to do when you wake up and realize you are out of rolled oats, steel cut oats, and anything else that could be subbed for oats?  I’ve been doing a lot of my cooking in the evening recently (which makes it very hard to take pretty photos), so I thought I’d seize the opportunity to mess up my shiny kitchen bright and early in the day.

After a quick run through of what we had on hand, I checked a few of my favorite blogs for some breakfast inspiration.  Ultimately, I settled on a Vegan Double-Dipped French Toast recipe from (Never Home) Maker (a new favorite).

When it comes to bloggers sharing recipes, I’m going to come clean about a major pet peeve.  It is SO great that we all share recipes, but unless major substitutions are being made, I don’t think ingredient lists and recipe details should be reposted on another blog.  I see this happen a lot, and not just to me, but to many bloggers!  Rather, I prefer to just link back to the original so that the recipe creator gets their deserved credit.  So with that said, make sure you head over to see Ashley’s original recipe for all of the ingredients and details.

Let’s get back to breakfast.  I started by blending a banana (I used the entire thing – my only substitution from the original recipe), along with almond milk, cinnamon, and chia seeds in my food processor.

And while that whirred away, I prepared the “toast” part of our French toast.  The main reason I chose this particular recipe was because I saw that she had used English muffins.  I’ve mentioned this on here before, but English muffins are hands down my favorite substitution for sliced bread (also veggie burger buns!).  I took three English muffins (for two servings) and sliced them straight through the middle.

When my batter was all finished mixing, it looked a bit like frothy chia banana soup!

Poured it into a shallow bowl, and dipped my muffins in to get a heavy coating on both sides.

Then I carefully laid them on a HOT non-stick pan, and let them get nice and brown – flipping back and forth a few times.

The “double-dip” portion of the recipe involves essentially making the French toast, and then re-dipping the slices back into the batter to get additional soakage and coating.  Ohhhh yeah.

I like French toast to be really crispy, so I let mine get nice and browned on both sides before pulling them out.

Topped them with additional slices of banana and a generous drizzle of strawberry syrup…

BOOM!  Amazing (and HEALTHY) vegan French toast, oozing with goodness all over the plate.

I don’t usually do a lot of calorie talk here, but I thought this one was worth mentioning.  Since I used English muffins as a bread sub, the actual “toast” portion of this breakfast was only ~200 calories.  Add the toppings and batter and I’d say the grand total was around 350 calories total – pretty darn amazing for French toast!

Check out those chia seeds cooked into the coating – YUM.

Definitely not a bad way to start the day.

Now, what can I possibly make for lunch to top THIS?  :)

Alison (Fueling for Fitness)     at 1:10 pm

I feel bad because I now know I am guilty of this and hope I haven’t offended too many hardworking bloggers out there. It wasn’t intentional at all and my thought process wasn’t that I was trying to take credit for recipes. I really thought I was just providing a forum for friends and family to have a quick place to reference ideas and recipes so I thought I was doing them a favour! That is no excuse, just an explanation.

Now I see the other perspective so I am going to be much more cognizant of this moving forward to make sure I don’t do this again!

So thank you for the wake up call, and as always, LOVE the blog and recipes. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

No worries Alison! I didn’t mean to start trouble. To be honest, I am always SO honored whenever anyone makes one of my recipes! And you are right, it’s great to share with friends – I’d just rather give a link than repost the original content. But that is just me. :)

Glad you like the blog!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) Reply:

Not at all, Emily. I am _SO_ glad that you actually bothered to bring it up at all. It’s the only way to encourage positive change. You weren’t rude at all, just honest and you can’t ask for more than that! Agreed with the link sharing. It’s great to discover new blogs – it’s how I discovered yours and I should be spreading the blog love with my friends and family so they can find some great places to get recipes too!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 1:12 pm

I am guilty of your pet peeve as well. (Sorry!) Do you think other bloggers have this same pet peeve?

Love the use of English muffins for French toast!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It’s not that big a deal – I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned it! But to answer your question, I know I am not the only one who feels that way. Perhaps just the only one with a big enough mouth to blab on about it?

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) Reply:

I am so glad you did blab because the last thing I want to do is offend anyone! Thanks!

Kathi     at 1:23 pm

Thanks you so much for linking the recipe! This look fabulous and I am a “new” vegan so anything that can help I am up for!

Kathi

Kelly     at 1:24 pm

I used to be a HUGE french toast fan. Since going vegan I have tried numerous recipes only to be VERY disappointed. My problem is that the pieces remain extremely soggy. I end up tossing them in the garbage. What is the secret to getting the bread done all the way through? My griddle is HOT. Once I even drained the pieces on a wire rack for 15 minutes before cooking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to have french toast again.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh wow. Perhaps the English muffin was the key? The denser bread made it so that I could brown them longer without getting too burnt.

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils     at 2:34 pm

Actually, it bugs me even more when people post full recipes from COOKBOOKS. That’s the worst. At least if I put something on the blogosphere it’s out in the open. If you buy someone’s copyrighted property and then proceed to post their recipes online … that’s just wrong to me.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Agreed. I actually think it’s pretty ballsy to do that – I’d be afraid of getting sued.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) Reply:

Sorry to get chimed in, but have a bit of info on this. Copyright rules do not cover recipe lists, so merely a list of ingredients as a recipe is never under copyright. However, if you copy everything including the exact directions and other material, such as a background story, etc., then it is definitely protected. And of course, you’re always supposed to post a link to the cookbook where you got it!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yeah, I read that too. It just makes me uncomfortable to repost a recipe that was not my original idea. But again, that is just me.

Ellie     at 2:49 pm

This looks amazing – I love making French toast and I love love love English muffins. What brand of English muffin do you use? I had a store brand I loved when I lived in Chicago but I haven’t really found a new one I like as much. And another question, VERY random – where do you get your wide headbands? I like to use headbands but I only have thin ones that slide off the back of my head!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I get Trader Joe’s brand English Muffins. And the headbands are the basic Goody bands from Target! Like $5 for a pack of 6. :)

kATH     at 2:49 pm

Lee     at 7:55 pm

Yum.

Crystal     at 10:09 pm

Will be making this tomorrow! Thanks!

Gree     at 10:18 pm

I love the double dip idea! We are always looking for dairy free recipes for our little one and she loves french toast so this one definitely takes the cake!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 2:19 am

I’ve never thought of using English muffins for French toast. Epic idea!

maura     at 4:56 am

I don’t blog, but I’m glad you made your point about posting links. I think it’s important that credit due is earned!

While on the subject of recipes, I got to thinking about something that would be really helpful for me to see in some of yours… I would love to see how many people could be served by each recipe. I know that I could probably guess by looking at the ingredients, but as someone who is not very skilled or familiar with cooking, it would be helpful!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I will try to add that from now on – thanks for letting me know!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:20 am

Oh English muffins, with their beautiful nooks and crannies… PERFECT for soaking up some French Toast goodness =)

Maryann     at 10:21 am

Emily,
Looks so good. Yummy in my tummy.
We are watching our cholesterol and not eating eggs or regular milk so this is perfect. I don’t have chia seeds but I have the rest so I’ll have to get some and then use Ezekiel muffins or bread. They are so filling.
So glad for your recipe ideas keep the vegan ones coming.
Lancasterr co pa gal