Coming Around.

After Monday’s disastrous doctor’s appointment, I was a little apprehensive heading to another new doctor this morning.  Luckily I did my research a bit better the second time, and I am happy to report that my new doctor was wonderful and exactly what I was looking for – hurrah!

Many of you have asked what’s going on with my injuries and healing, and I haven’t mentioned it too much since there isn’t really much to tell.  Today’s appointment confirmed a few things I had already suspected myself – there is still a good bit of swelling and fluid collecting in my left knee.  Because the wounds are still healing, the doctor wasn’t able to do too much assessment, but she did give me the OK to start trying to stretch it out a bit more and get it moving around little by little.  In the next week or two, I’ll be seeing an orthopedic doctor to figure out what happens next.  As for the cut itself, I’m still rocking the temporary stitches…

Now I’m just waiting for them to fall off – then we’ll be able to tell how bad the scarring and lingering damage might be.  The cut itself was WIDE open when it occurred, so they had to sort of stretch my skin back together to stitch it closed (gross, I know, but you guys keep asking!).  Because of that, combined with the fluid and swelling, I haven’t been able to bend my knee in two weeks.  It is really uncomfortable to bend it much, so I have been propping it up and walking with a strange limp since I ditched my crutches on Wednesday.  At least it looks like it is starting to heal back together!

As for the other injuries, the bumps and bruises are beginning to fade and are starting to feel a bit less sore.  It’s amazing how long the body takes to recover from a trauma!  Hopefully it won’t be too much longer before the traces of this whole ordeal are just a few scars and memories.

On a much brighter note, we finally ventured off of the couch today.  For the past two weeks I have been in my house almost all of the time, trying to limit activity and rest my healing legs as much as possible.  When I left for my doctors appointment, I was shocked to see how much had changed – while I was stuck in my own little medical meltdown in my house, nature had moved on and done it’s thing.

Gorgeous changing trees everywhere!

Old town gets more and more beautiful every day.  I have heard so much about the Christmas celebrations here, and I am literally counting the days.  No one loves Christmas more than me.  :)

Walking around the streets today, I can’t help but think about what this weekend should have been.  I should be carbo-loading and planning my race day outfit.  I should be making plans to head to the expo tomorrow and pick up my race packet.  None of those things are happening because of someone else’s carelessness.  But you know what?  It’s okay.

I had my pity party at the starting line of the Columbus Marathon – realizing I wasn’t running, and overcoming the sadness of opportunities lost.  So this Sunday’s race is going to be different.  I’m looking at this accident as a chance to start over.  Even though I was finally hitting my stride, prior to that I had been in kind of a running funk for a while.  Maybe there was a bigger plan to help me get back on track, and fall back in love with the sport that has played such an important role in my life.  And when the day comes that I can finally lace up my Mizunos again, I am certain I won’t take it for granted.

Instead of feeling sad, I’m looking forward to this weekend.  Casey’s parents had originally planned to come into town and cheer for me, and instead now I’ll get to spend more time with them on the sidelines.  I get to cheer on my friends (and strangers) and watch people conquer the physical and emotional challenges of a marathon

Because as any runner knows, despite what it may seem – running is not an individual sport.  Sure, it’s your two legs getting the job done, but very few people get to the starting line all by themselves.  Running is about sharing your victories (and failures) with family and friends, swapping stories with training buddies and running groups, and supportive spouses who toss you Gatorade and worry when you do your long runs.  So on Sunday, I will still participate in the Marine Corps Marathon.  Not as a run
ner, like I originally planned, but as a friend, cheerleader, smiling stranger, and fellow marathoner.

And you can be sure that no one will be cheering louder than me.

Christin L.     at 5:40 pm

I love your positive attitude! One thing I definitely agree in is EVERYTHING happens for a reason, even it that reason isn’t readily clear. Have fun cheering the other participants on!

Christin L.     at 5:40 pm

Marci     at 5:45 pm

I’d want you any day as my spectator! Your town looks so quaint and cute and colorful, and amazing that you are so close to a giant city. I really envy the Fall colors. Has the driver contacted you at all? I was wondering if she apologized after the day. I hope your long cross-country flight to SF next week will leave you full of energy and rested for the weekend. See you then.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Nope, we haven’t talked. But I will see her in court tomorrow morning, ugh.

Marci     at 5:45 pm

Little Bookworm     at 5:45 pm

Love your attitude/outlook. :)

Carrie     at 5:47 pm

Emily, what a great attitude you have, choosing to take something positive from your accident and still participate in the marathon this weekend. You are amazing!

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 5:50 pm

Where will you be cheering from? A co-worker and I are going to be posted up near mile 19 screaming for friends and strangers.

Also, your attitude is awesome. I’m sure you’ll be bending that knee and running on it in no time.

You’re totally right about Christmas around here too. It’s FANTASTIC! I can’t wait to break out my $40 tree, light some delicious candles and enjoy the holidays. The National Tree is awesome and a must see!

Heather     at 5:54 pm

the trees look beautiful there!
I could give you a run for your money on who loves Christmas more, by the way :)
It looks like you are healing up well, that’s great!

Clare     at 5:55 pm

Thanks for this morale booster, Emily. I stress-fractured my pelvis running and 10 weeks out, I still can’t run. I’m in the depths…It is SOOOO hard to be positive. I can totally identify with the good days / pity party rollercoaster. Hang in there! Cheering and spectating sounds like a good plan for keeping your spirits up.
PS: We’re having Vegan Bean Burgers for dinner AGAIN. We just can’t get enough of them in our household!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Booo I’m sorry you’re sidelined too. Stay strong and keep smiling. Pouting gets you nowhere! :)

Hillary     at 5:57 pm

I am so glad that you are getting better. If you are worried about scarring start rubbing vitamin E lotion in a circular motion over the area. I know those band aids are still on but it will soak thru and help. I have had 3 surgeries on my left arm with scars that are about 5in long, so I have been thru the drill. Plus that little bit of rubbing will help break up the scar tissue. Go gentle at first and as your wound heals rub deeper each time. Hope this helps!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks for the tip!

CookTeen     at 6:38 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I decided to run a 15K in a few weeks. I am so nervous and excited, my goal is to finish! I hope I see many smiling faces in the “crowd” to keep me going. What you are doing it great and you will get your stride back once again.

With love and cupcakes,
Cookteen

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Omg! Good luck!

Rachel @ Olalliberry     at 6:59 pm

Your words put a warm feeling in my heart. It’s great to see your positivity and I am glad you will still be participating in the marathon even if you aren’t running it.

Also I now really really want some stuffed grape leaves! I will definitely try your recipe… someday :)

Joslyn @ missfitbliss     at 6:59 pm

Your perspective is so refreshing! And practical. I’m glad things are healing and you’re taking care of yourself. Those leaves are gorgeous!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 7:07 pm

Wow that’s a really awe-inspiring thing to say! Such a brilliant perspective! Your injuries really look better, so no doubt you will be up and running about again before you know it, but with a greater appreciation for it than before :)

Rebecca     at 7:10 pm

I think your attitude is so inspiring. I love Christmas too, all the houses in the street next to mine decorate their houses, when I drive past I keep checking to see if they have started decorating, they haven’t. Take care of yourself.

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit     at 7:15 pm

I’m so happy you’ve been able to channel your thoughts into positivity! Everyone has a pity party every now and then, but its important to pick yourself back up :)

Miranda     at 7:23 pm

Loving you positive attitude! I underwent knee surgery several years ago and was on crutches for close to 6 weeks, it really made me realize how lucky I was to be able to walk and run without them and made me more thankful for my mobility. Take care and you will be running again soon!

Lindsay     at 7:27 pm

Love this post!! And – I may give you a run for your money on love for Christmas. It is my FAVORITE time of year and Old Town is gorgeous around the holidays! Love all the wreaths and white lights…I am getting excited just thinking about it!!! Enjoy your weekend :)

meg @ the veg meg     at 8:13 pm

This post made me tear up pretty hard! I’m so glad you’re able to have such a positive outlook now, and that you’re finally starting to heal up! :]

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 8:25 pm

Thanks for the update on your knee.. it’s nice to know how well you are improving! You’re going to be a great cheerleader this weekend too.. go Casey!

Cristen     at 8:25 pm

I am still amazed that you didn’t have any broken bones! You were definitely being watched over. So happy you’re feeling better!!! :)

Maryann     at 8:41 pm

The end of this post gave me chills. Keep up your positive attitude, you be back out there in no time :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 9:28 pm

Awesome attitude! Good luck on the weekend–I can imagine how bittersweet it’ll be. :)

Judy     at 9:49 pm

You’ve come along way in the past few weeks… Great post, thank you for sharing your feelings.

A Better Me     at 9:56 pm

Glad to see you starting to feel better :) I’m sure seeing all the beautiful fallness everywhere helped! Keep your chin up! You’re doing awesome!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:06 pm

Your attitude is stellar Emily! Those trees are beautiful – have fun at the race still!

Sarah     at 10:09 pm

Your attitude is great! Hang in there!

Old Town is BEAUTIFUL around Christmas. You will love it.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 10:29 pm

I’m so sorry you missed out on running this marathon. You continue to inspire me, and many other women, with your running and now your attitude after your accident. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to go through something like that!

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 10:35 pm

I love your attitude. You’re simply lovely. :)

Meaghen     at 10:37 pm

Emily, I work in the insurance industry and deal with people who are in car accidents all the time and your attitude is just amazing! It will really help so much in your recovery! Unfortunately, I have come to discover that recovering from an accident can take a lot longer than we think, but truthfully, because you are young, in great shape and eat healthfully, your road to recovery will be easier and quicker than the average person. I wish you all the best!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you so much! :)

Lauren @ laurenINlawrence     at 10:47 pm

I like what you said about the next run you go on you won’t take it for granted. Even though I am healthy, I should keep that in mind every time I think about skipping a workout – it is a great gift that we have to be able to use our bodies and I shouldn’t look as training as a “task” but instead as something awesome I get to do! I know you will take the utmost care of your body as you continue to recover and I wish you the best.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:18 pm

Good grief, is that color all bruising? I thought it was a bandage, and then realized that wasn’t right. Yay on the crutch ditching, though! It’s awesome that you’re still going to the marathon as a “smiling stranger.” :-)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 12:00 am

Your attitude is immensely inspiring. The end.

valerie     at 12:05 am

Emily, you are awesome. Seriously. I love your attitude. You’ll be running in no time.

Courtney Leigh     at 12:44 am

You rock my socks!! Enjoy your cheerleading!

Dee     at 1:03 am

I love your attitude Emily. You are handling your trials with such class and dignity. :) Have fun cheering with your family, friends, & fellow marathoners!

Maddie     at 1:53 am

I love your positive attitude on the whole situation. I hope you recover quickly!

Nikki     at 4:58 am

You have such a great attitude! I think someone’s perspective on something is really what makes or breaks them in a difficult situation. You’re not only making it, girl but you’re thriving!

Lee     at 6:20 am

That’s the attitude! I’m sure this is tough on you, but one day it will be completely behind you and you’ll be running who knows how many more marathons!

Liz @ LBBakes     at 7:22 am

Just remember as you cheer that you’ll be on that course next year!

Maryann     at 9:01 am

Emily,
You inspire everyone no matter what has happened to them they can go on. And that’s what has been happening here.
We all continue to believe for a quick complete recovery as you continue to inspire us. It brings tears to my eyes to know how much your running means to you.
Have a good weekend and cheer them on and rejoice you are here today. Your day is coming too.
Blessings,
Lancaster CO PA Gal

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 9:05 am

Glad you got to venture off the couch! Sorry to hear the healing process is still taking its sweet time. Maybe that will result in less scarring? One can hope!

Kelly     at 9:11 am

Glad to see that your injuries are healing, even if it is a slow process! I would want you cheering me on at a marathon any day.

Also, I’m moving to Arlington the weekend after Thanksgiving and would love to meet you in person after I do :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Omg! I would love that too – keep me posted!

Suzanne C.     at 9:26 am

Haha, I totally hadn’t read this when I commented how pretty Old Town would be for the holidays. I guess we think a like! I saw a ton of people out for a ghost tour last night. Would definitely be a fun thing to do some time. Enjoy your weekend!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:27 am

you have a great attitude! way to go. :)

Anna     at 10:00 am

Wanna have an invalid party? We can sit around and do nothing. It’ll be grand.

I’m only half-kidding, of course. I certainly won’t be leaving my house for awhile, at least until I can walk without discomfort again. But I’m glad to hear you are getting out and about and feeling more optimistic about the whole thing! Have fun cheering tomorrow.

christina cadden     at 10:25 am

Your photos of the leaves changing are so pretty. hope your ortho appointment goes well.Praying for you.

Amy     at 11:11 am

Just out of curiousity, is the woman who hit you paying for your medical bills?

Glad to hear you were able to get out and enjoy the leaves. They are sooo pretty right now, I wish they’d stay like this year round.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Still working on that. Sounds like it will be a long legal process. But yes, should be.

amy Reply:

I’m glad to hear her insurance should be covering it, those bills can get expensive. Just don’t let the insurance company try to pressure you into hurrying up with your healing so they can settle.

When someone hit me, I was in physical therapy for a long time. Their insurance company kept trying to tell me I HAD to close my case and blah blah blah or I wouldn’t get any money, but I kept going and when I was finally done, they paid for every penny.

Caryn     at 11:30 am

Go Emily! You’ll be running again soon! What are the Christmas celebrations in Alexandria like? I just moved to the area and am a Christmas fanatic…

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I guess we’ll have to find out together! I have heard it is beautiful – lots of LIGHTS!

Macrae     at 11:44 am

Just wanted to chime in and say that the ‘smiling strangers’ on the sideline of races are sooooo encouraging! It’s the worst to run by spectators and they are just staring at you. You will help so many people! Stay strong girl- you are incredible!
How is your right leg? Isn’t that the one that took the impact?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Right leg is actually okay – still a bit bruised, but I can walk on it pretty well.

Mom     at 12:26 pm

proud of you :)

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie     at 1:03 pm

So glad you’re body (and mind!) are healing. I bet you are right about never taking running for granted again! Ah I can imagine how incredible your first run post-accident will feel :)

Your attitude is so amazing. I don’t think I could be where you are at having gone through so much. You cheer loud and proud girl!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 3:13 pm

Prouda you, girl!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe     at 4:39 pm

So inspiring to see the positive attitude you’ve chosen, despite such an unfair situation. I’m sure you’ll have a great time participating this weekend, and how fun that you’ll get to do it right alongside family. You’re such a trooper:)

Gabrielle     at 5:18 pm

Thanks for updating the curious amongst us, myself included! We worry! Looks like your body is healing, but of course the hope is your psyche is healing well also. It wasn’t just a physical trauma.

Your town looks gorgeous, and it’s wonderful you’re getting out and about, little by little. Enjoy the marathon! :)

Meghan     at 5:24 pm

I ran my first marathon last year at the pig. I felt like all of the runs in the winter temps alone for hours (I’m sooo slow) were the hard part. I hope you know that everyone that has ever ran a marathon know that you did the hard part. You trained for it and you are a rock star! You are so tough!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awww that kind of made me want to cry. You are so right though – the training is 90% of the challenge. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Pure2raw twins     at 6:43 pm

Just wanted to say love you!!!

Thanks for the update, I know it must be hard sometimes to talk about it, especially when time (and healing) is not moving fast enough.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee)     at 11:41 pm

Thank you for the update. It is amazing how much the leaves have changes since two weeks ago, isn’t it? Your snapshots of Old Town are absolutely gorgeous – I miss DC and the surrounding areas :-)

Stacey     at 10:45 am

I LOVE your positive attitude :) It’s good to hear that your healing up, I’m sure it’s a slow and steady process! Keep your head up Emily!

lindsay     at 1:34 pm

so glad to hear about the new doctor! Its such a relief to know youre in good hands. I hope you are able to enjoy today, even though you are not racing, you are healthy and happy!

Lori @ For the Run of It     at 6:11 pm

Emily, you have such a positive spirit. It’s a joy to read your posts! Ouch, on the knee. I never commented on your accident, but I’m sorry that happened to you. Really isn’t fair at all!

David     at 10:17 am