Marine Corps Cheerleading.

I was sooooooo tired this morning and did not want to drag myself out of bed at all.  But thoughts of anxious marathoners pinning their bibs on all over the city got me out from under the covers, and out the door into the freezing cold morning.  For the first time ever, I headed out as a spectator all by myself.  It was kind of weird.

As far as cheering for this race went, I had to be realistic.  Typically I would wear my running shoes and try to race all over the city – catching runners at multiple spots.  But since I’m dragging around this busted knee, I am moving MUCH slower than usual.  I realistically picked two spots where I would hopefully be able to see all of my friends.  I headed up to the mall to find remnants of yesterday’s rally

And I discovered when I got there that I was SUPER early.  No one had even come through this water station yet!  (Can I also add that this was the best water stop crew EVER?  They literally screamed the entire time runners were coming through.)

I was kicking myself for not being able to get to the earlier mile markers since I had so much time to kill, but I knew there was no way I’d get back to my spot if I left it.

As planned, I camped out right next to mile 19.  Having run 5 marathons myself, I am well aware that support is most needed in the final miles, so I figured that was where I could be most useful.

The sun was just starting to shine through the trees, and there was a wonderful crisp cool air.  PERFECT weather for running a marathon.

There was a cute bagpipe trio stationed next to me, and they played every time a handbiker rolled by.  It made our spot so much more festive and exciting!

I took advantage of my extra time (two hours!) and wandered around the empty mall for a while.  It’s not very often you get the National Mall all to yourself!

Finally after much anticipation, signs of runners in the distance started to appear…

The lead pack!

These guys were FLYING!  I thought it was cool that all four were still together so far into the race.

lt="IMG_2618 (640x478)" src="http://www.dailygarnish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/IMG_2618-640x478_thumb.jpg" width="474" height="355" />

Once the lead group passed, there was another long lull before any more runners came.  At this point I realized that my phone battery was on red.  I decided to run into the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum to camp out by a plug and let it charge for about 15 minutes, so that I could keep texting and Tweeting and keep up with the runners I was tracking.

First time in the Air & Space Museum, and it was only to change my phone.  FAIL.

When I headed back outside, the runners were finally starting to reach mile 19.

Including Mario and Luigi!

And Beetlejuice!  These guys were not only running in costumes – they were running FAST!  This was probably around the 3:15 pace group.  Insane.

There were also several military members running with full sized American flags.  Very impressive, and made me a little teary.

Buzz Lightyear was having a good day – moving fast!

And then just as I was hoping, Erika appeared right on pace!  We are friends from Cincinnati, and we used to see each other running all the time in our neighborhood back home, so it was really fun to see her running up here in my new city.  She was killing it – right in front of the 4:00 group!

Mile 19 was a hard place to cheer.  Having run so many races myself, I knew exactly how the runners felt, and I didn’t really know what to yell to them.  I saw one girl get to the 19 marker, bend over and start sobbing.  She cried “oh my god, only NINETEEN?”  It was hard to watch.  I just yelled and smiled and told her it was ONE run – she could do it.  I hope it helped.  Others were starting to walk and struggle.  I only hoped I would see them again at the later mile marker!

This guy was obviously awesome.

And then she appeared!  The Peanut Butter Runner herself – Jen was looking strong and still smiling!  I haven’t seen her since we said goodbye in Charlotte.  I wished I could have run out and given her a huge hug.

As the runners grabbed their water, I grabbed my purse and scrambled back to the Metro in hopes of catching Erik
a and Jen at mile 24.

As my Metro train crossed the water, I could see the runners tackling the never-ending mile 20 bridge that I had been warned about…

I made it down to mile 24 and met up with Casey, who was nearby working in a Starbucks.  We got there just in time to see Erika fly past again!  Looks like she ended up finishing around 4:03 – SO totally amazing!  Congrats, girl.

She was followed by this scary painted man in a kilt.

And a few minutes later, we saw Jen again!  Sadly, I thought I snapped a picture of her but when I looked through them she wasn’t in it after all.  :(  I screamed my head off for her, but she must have turned her iPod way up for final mile motivation.  Even though she didn’t see me, it was fun to cheer and see her – I knew she was on her way to finishing strong.

Casey and I cheered for a few more minutes before heading back towards home to beat the finish line crowds on the train.

Even though I would much prefer to RUN a race, sometimes cheering for one can be just as fun.  I’d be lying if I said this one wasn’t a little hard to watch.  But I’m glad I didn’t sit at home and pout, and that I was able to hit the streets and cheer for some of my other favorite runners‘

Realistically, I’ll still be sidelined for a while.  But I’m trying to stay positive and set some goals that seem possible down the road.  If all goes well at the orthopedic doctor, and my leg feels relatively healed in the next month, I may attempt to run Charlotte’s Thunder Road.  That will depend on how much fitness I’ve lost this month.

Further down, (and probably much more probable) I’m setting my sights on another DC marathon – the National Marathon in March.  I am determined to run 26.2 in my new favorite city, and I know a lot of other runners and bloggers who are doing this one too.  Hopefully I’ll be able to join them!

There is something so fun about watching marathons – just a great, positive feel in the air.  Watching the runners this morning left me inspired and excited to get back out there at some point myself.   I’m going to be smart about it and listen to my doctors and my body.  But whenever my body does decide that it’s ready, my heart will be a few skips ahead towards the starting line.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 4:43 pm

I think that’s beetlejuice? lol

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahahaha you are totally right! My brain is fried – just fixed it. Thanks! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 4:43 pm

I think that’s beetlejuice? lol

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahahaha you are totally right! My brain is fried – just fixed it. Thanks! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 4:43 pm

I think that’s beetlejuice? lol

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahahaha you are totally right! My brain is fried – just fixed it. Thanks! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 4:43 pm

I think that’s beetlejuice? lol

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahahaha you are totally right! My brain is fried – just fixed it. Thanks! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 4:43 pm

I think that’s beetlejuice? lol

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

hahahaha you are totally right! My brain is fried – just fixed it. Thanks! :)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:46 pm

So sorry that you weren’t able to run! Glad you made it out to celebrate everyones’ accomplishments – including your own bravery and strength =)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:46 pm

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:46 pm

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:46 pm

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:46 pm

thetreadmilldiaries     at 4:49 pm

I think it’s great that you went out to cheer. When you’re on that last leg and running out of steam, the support of the crowd can really make a difference.

thetreadmilldiaries     at 4:49 pm

thetreadmilldiaries     at 4:49 pm

thetreadmilldiaries     at 4:49 pm

thetreadmilldiaries     at 4:49 pm

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 4:49 pm

We saw so many of the same runners — I loved their costumes! (I was right around the corner from you by the Capitol Reflecting Pool.)

All the runners actually kinda made me want to run a marathon too (a thought that has NEVER crossed my mind before). I’m sure you’ll be back at it sooner rather than later. Can’t wait to cheer you on during the National Marathon!

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 4:49 pm

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 4:49 pm

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 4:49 pm

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 4:49 pm

Evan Thomas     at 4:49 pm

Yes! You must run the National Marathon with us. I admittedly have no idea what I’m doing so the more experienced runners the better :-)

Evan Thomas     at 4:49 pm

Evan Thomas     at 4:49 pm

Evan Thomas     at 4:49 pm

Evan Thomas     at 4:49 pm

Stephanie     at 4:52 pm

Thanks so much for coming out and cheering! I looked for you every once in a while and thought how cool it would be to “meet” you at the race! By mile 19 my legs were screaming at me though, so I dont think I paid much attention to my surroundings. National Marathon would be a great goal!

Stephanie     at 4:52 pm

Stephanie     at 4:52 pm

Stephanie     at 4:52 pm

Stephanie     at 4:52 pm

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 5:20 pm

Oh! So fun! Great recap… you’re so right about how great it is to have crowd support—and I’ve never run a marathon, but I think I’d like to volunteer at one.

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 5:20 pm

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 5:20 pm

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 5:20 pm

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 5:20 pm

kate     at 5:26 pm

Haha! I love the costumes. Happy Halloween!

kate     at 5:26 pm

Haha! I love the costumes. Happy Halloween!

kate     at 5:26 pm

Haha! I love the costumes. Happy Halloween!

kate     at 5:26 pm

Haha! I love the costumes. Happy Halloween!

kate     at 5:26 pm

Haha! I love the costumes. Happy Halloween!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:29 pm

What a great attitude! I hope you get to run that marathon in March.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:29 pm

What a great attitude! I hope you get to run that marathon in March.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:29 pm

What a great attitude! I hope you get to run that marathon in March.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:29 pm

What a great attitude! I hope you get to run that marathon in March.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:29 pm

What a great attitude! I hope you get to run that marathon in March.

Marci     at 5:30 pm

It is great that you were there to cheer at important miles! Your friends are lucky to have a good camera person snapping shots and encouraging them along. And cool to be around the monuments on an early Sunday morning.

Marci     at 5:30 pm

Marci     at 5:30 pm

Marci     at 5:30 pm

Marci     at 5:30 pm

Catherine     at 5:31 pm

I’m so proud of you for going and cheering. I know that couldn’t have been easy :( I’m glad you’re on the mend though!!

Catherine     at 5:31 pm

Catherine     at 5:31 pm

Catherine     at 5:31 pm

Catherine     at 5:31 pm

Lee     at 5:31 pm

I’m impressed with the costumes. I ran a half yesterday and there was a girl in a full out Care Bear suit that was about 3 sizes too big on her. She beat me.

Lee     at 5:31 pm

Lee     at 5:31 pm

Lee     at 5:31 pm

Lee     at 5:31 pm

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 5:41 pm

That’s so great of you to cheer on everyone else! I bet it really helped them! :D Especially those people who were struggling at mile 19- I bet they really benefited from your support!
Haha and the costumes are great! I have such admiration for people who can run in those! :P

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 5:41 pm

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 5:41 pm

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 5:41 pm

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 5:41 pm

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 5:41 pm

I am so happy you got out there to cheer. Some races the spectators are what get me to keep going. You probably made some people smile when they were struggling.

You will be back to your racing soon enough. Be proud of how you are handling this!

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 5:41 pm

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 5:41 pm

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 5:41 pm

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 5:41 pm

Ida     at 5:47 pm

The national marathon would be a great come-back race! At my last marathon people were shouting ‘welcome to mile 19!’ at the marker- I thought it was the perfect cheer. Not much else to say about that mile!

Ida     at 5:47 pm

Ida     at 5:47 pm

Ida     at 5:47 pm

Ida     at 5:47 pm

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 5:54 pm

I am glad you went to cheer, I know you would have much rather been running but I think it was really great of you to go out and yell support. Plus you got to see a bunch of crazy adults in costumes ;)
I would also like to let you know that you are such an inspiration, I love reading your blog. You have made me want to run more, today I completed a 10k and in March my goal is a half. Maybe someday I will even attempt a marathon (we will see how the 1/2 goes), but reading your blog definitively makes me want to try. Stay strong and cheerful!

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 5:54 pm

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 5:54 pm

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 5:54 pm

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 5:54 pm

Liz @ LBBakes     at 5:57 pm

My sister just told me today she might run the National Marathon in March – if you do it, I’ll have at least two people to watch and cheer for!

Liz @ LBBakes     at 5:57 pm

Liz @ LBBakes     at 5:57 pm

Liz @ LBBakes     at 5:57 pm

Liz @ LBBakes     at 5:57 pm

Jean     at 6:04 pm

I just got back from the marathon! I’m a long time silent reader of this blog but I just wanted to say that I dedicated mile 22 to you. It was hard so I thought about how you killed your last long run and how you would’ve destroyed the marathon today if you had run it. You will rock next year’s marathon!!!! This was my first marathon!!

I’m praying that your body heals as soon as possible! = )

Jean     at 6:04 pm

I’m praying that your body heals as soon as possible! = )

Jean     at 6:04 pm

I’m praying that your body heals as soon as possible! = )

Jean     at 6:04 pm

I’m praying that your body heals as soon as possible! = )

Jean     at 6:04 pm

I’m praying that your body heals as soon as possible! = )

Lindsay     at 6:32 pm

Hopefully I’ll be cheering for you next year at MCM! And maybe at the National Marathon! The National Marathon is extra special because the course is entirely in DC. Random knowledge from working at Team In Training for so long :)

Lindsay     at 6:32 pm

Lindsay     at 6:32 pm

Lindsay     at 6:32 pm

Lindsay     at 6:32 pm

Lori H     at 6:38 pm

Emily, you are such a good sport! I know those runners appreciated your support. Keep those positive thoughts coming and I look forward to hearing about your first race back in the saddle, uh, shoe!

Lori H     at 6:38 pm

Lori H     at 6:38 pm

Lori H     at 6:38 pm

Lori H     at 6:38 pm

Peanut Butter Runner » Blog Archive » Marine Corps Marathon Race Recap     at 6:57 pm

[...] even say enough how nice it is to see familiar faces on the course. Check out Emily’s awesome Marine Corps Marathon Cheerleading [...]

lauren     at 7:00 pm

i’m pretty sure that scary man in the kilt was braveheart :-)

lauren     at 7:00 pm

i’m pretty sure that scary man in the kilt was braveheart :-)

lauren     at 7:00 pm

i’m pretty sure that scary man in the kilt was braveheart :-)

lauren     at 7:00 pm

i’m pretty sure that scary man in the kilt was braveheart :-)

lauren     at 7:00 pm

i’m pretty sure that scary man in the kilt was braveheart :-)

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 7:03 pm

Good for you for getting out there and cheering them – it must have been really hard to watch everyone running a race that you were so close to running. And knowing how much training went into it already makes it even harder. Way to stay strong.

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 7:03 pm

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 7:03 pm

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 7:03 pm

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 7:03 pm

Jen     at 7:34 pm

You’re such a trooper for standing out there so long and cheering by yourself. I am sure the runner’s appreciated it.

I love your attitude. And I cannot wait to run Thunder Road or the National Marathon with you :)

Jen     at 7:34 pm

Jen     at 7:34 pm

Jen     at 7:34 pm

Jen     at 7:34 pm

Lauren     at 8:00 pm

You are such an inspiration and just your support at this race provided so many people great confidence. You are awesome and I love you for all that you do and all that you stand for!
Just as you told that struggling girl, this is ONE run. You are going to have so many incredible race opportunities in your future and you will be restored, renewed and better than ever! :)

Lauren     at 8:00 pm

Lauren     at 8:00 pm

Lauren     at 8:00 pm

Lauren     at 8:00 pm

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 8:02 pm

Wow, it’s impressive you were out there so long just to spectate!! I’m sure all the runners loved having you cheer for them!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 8:02 pm

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 8:02 pm

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 8:02 pm

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 8:02 pm

Maggie     at 8:11 pm

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I’m glad you got to participate in some way! I can’t wait for the NYC Marathon next weekend, cheering people on is one of my favorite things.

Maggie     at 8:11 pm

Maggie     at 8:11 pm

Maggie     at 8:11 pm

Maggie     at 8:11 pm

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 8:14 pm

Emily, i am sure that was incredibly hard to have to watch the race you were going to run, but you seem to have a great attitude about it. You really show the spirit of running in this post. Thank you.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 8:14 pm

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 8:14 pm

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 8:14 pm

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 8:14 pm

Kris     at 8:42 pm

I just started reading your blog right after the 17 mile run-from-pergatory…and was thrilled that a food blogger was also a marathoner. I just ran the St. George, Utah marathon a month ago…my 17th. I have been really busy and finally had a chance to catch up on your blog last night and was DEVASTATED when I read about your accident. I KNOW how you felt after all that training and work. Way to go with the good attitude…you are amazing. AND it’s OK to be a little down…we runners understand!

Kris     at 8:42 pm

Kris     at 8:42 pm

Kris     at 8:42 pm

Kris     at 8:42 pm

amy     at 8:44 pm

You’ll be running right along with them in no time! It’s great you were able to see your friends and cheer them on, I’m sure they really appreciated it :)

My BF and I take our bikes to the Mall sometimes and ride around first thing in the morning. It’s so awesome having the Mall to ourselves and everything looks soooo beautiful, you guys should go up there one morning super early when you’re doing better and just walk around. And the Air and Space Museum at Dulles is far, but even BETTER than the one on the Mall.

amy     at 8:44 pm

amy     at 8:44 pm

amy     at 8:44 pm

amy     at 8:44 pm

Penny     at 8:53 pm

You’re such an inspiration, Emily. I really admire your attitude, and your strength at pressing forward. Keep your chin up!

Penny     at 8:53 pm

Penny     at 8:53 pm

Penny     at 8:53 pm

Penny     at 8:53 pm

Emily     at 9:10 pm

You’re such an awesome friend to go out there and support your fellow marathoners. You will definitely be back out there, no one with your passion and drive could let that slip away!

Emily     at 9:10 pm

Emily     at 9:10 pm

Emily     at 9:10 pm

Emily     at 9:10 pm

erika     at 9:12 pm

emily–thank you sooo much for coming out and cheering! it was soo incredibly awesome to see you not only once but twice out there. definitely brightened my race experience! you’ll be back and at em soon! but thanks so much for taking the time out and for the pictures!

erika     at 9:12 pm

erika     at 9:12 pm

erika     at 9:12 pm

erika     at 9:12 pm

Kath     at 9:21 pm

MEH to Thunder Road. DC in March sounds fun and like an awesome goal!

Kath     at 9:21 pm

MEH to Thunder Road. DC in March sounds fun and like an awesome goal!

Kath     at 9:21 pm

MEH to Thunder Road. DC in March sounds fun and like an awesome goal!

Kath     at 9:21 pm

MEH to Thunder Road. DC in March sounds fun and like an awesome goal!

Kath     at 9:21 pm

MEH to Thunder Road. DC in March sounds fun and like an awesome goal!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:07 pm

What a different perspective than a running one! It looked like you had some fun today!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:07 pm

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:07 pm

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:07 pm

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:07 pm

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 10:43 pm

What a beautiful town!! I loved that you were able to charge your phone at the Smithsonian, check that off the bucket list :)

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 10:43 pm

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 10:43 pm

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 10:43 pm

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 10:43 pm

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:37 pm

Love the scarf! So great that you got to be a cheerleader for the others this time around. Also, I can’t believe someone ran the whole way in a kilt!! Awesome.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:37 pm

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:37 pm

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:37 pm

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:37 pm

shorty     at 11:50 pm

You will get there! I am so glad that you got to go watch. I think it was a good thing for you to do. I am also glad that your hubs was able to see a little with you, just to be there for you. So glad that the healing is happening both inside and out!!!
Shorty

shorty     at 11:50 pm

Shorty

shorty     at 11:50 pm

Shorty

shorty     at 11:50 pm

Shorty

shorty     at 11:50 pm

Shorty

Beth     at 9:26 am

Thanks for coming out and cheering! The crowd support was awesome, and much needed before the dreaded 14th Street bridge!

Beth     at 9:26 am

Beth     at 9:26 am

Beth     at 9:26 am

Beth     at 9:26 am

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 10:02 am

:) You’re not missing anything at the Air and Space Museum, seriously.
I’m glad you’ve been able to stay positive about your injury and appreciate your body and the process. Sometimes setbacks can help us gain perspective, even if we don’t want them!

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 10:02 am

:) You’re not missing anything at the Air and Space Museum, seriously.

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 10:02 am

:) You’re not missing anything at the Air and Space Museum, seriously.

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 10:02 am

:) You’re not missing anything at the Air and Space Museum, seriously.

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 10:02 am

:) You’re not missing anything at the Air and Space Museum, seriously.

Carolyn     at 10:11 am

I was also cheering on runners at the MCM … they were so inspiring! I’m registered for the National Marathon … it will be my first. Hope to see you there!

Carolyn     at 10:11 am

Carolyn     at 10:11 am

Carolyn     at 10:11 am

Carolyn     at 10:11 am

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 10:15 am

It was so nice of you to go out there and cheer everyone on…and it looks like it was a beautiful day! you’ll be back out there before you know it! :)

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 10:15 am

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 10:15 am

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 10:15 am

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 10:15 am

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:53 am

You’re so great that you went out and supported all the runners :) That’s real passion!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:53 am

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:53 am

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:53 am

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:53 am

A Better Me     at 11:19 am

You ROCK! I’m sure all the runners loved hearing you scream them on to the finish!

A Better Me     at 11:19 am

A Better Me     at 11:19 am

A Better Me     at 11:19 am

A Better Me     at 11:19 am

J     at 11:39 am

Sounds like you had a great day out there. :) I’m thinking about the National Marathon, too… maybe we could get a training group together!

J     at 11:39 am

J     at 11:39 am

J     at 11:39 am

J     at 11:39 am

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 12:06 pm

I am also thinking about the National Marathon, but I may start with the 1/2 and maybe Marine Corps next Fall?

I saw Mario and Luigi too! I cheered at mile 23 in Crystal City. It was great to see all the runners and encouraging spectators. But, it is hard to witness the runners break down toward the end of the race. All you can do is cheer your heart out!

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 12:06 pm

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 12:06 pm

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 12:06 pm

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 12:06 pm

Heather     at 12:10 pm

so glad you decided to go cheer. It looks like a really fun race! Hopefully you will still get to do it next year!

Heather     at 12:10 pm

Heather     at 12:10 pm

Heather     at 12:10 pm

Heather     at 12:10 pm

Way to go for getting out there and cheering everyone on! That is so awesome of you, and I bet your words of encouragement really helped!

Tricia @ Saving Room for Dessert     at 12:15 pm

Good for you! I am so glad you went and cheered them on. We were watching the news to find out how it was going – but your photos are better than anything the reporters had! You have also prefected the art of taking a self photo at any location! Have a great, healthy November!

Tricia @ Saving Room for Dessert     at 12:15 pm

Tricia @ Saving Room for Dessert     at 12:15 pm

Tricia @ Saving Room for Dessert     at 12:15 pm

Tricia @ Saving Room for Dessert     at 12:15 pm

skinnyrunner     at 12:43 pm

thats cool that you got to spectate a big race like that; ive never watched a marathon but it looks fun.

skinnyrunner     at 12:43 pm

skinnyrunner     at 12:43 pm

skinnyrunner     at 12:43 pm

skinnyrunner     at 12:43 pm

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 12:47 pm

Congrats on getting out there anyway, I have been having little mini-pouting moments as the races I’m registered for pass by me. You are so positive girl!

As for matters of the heart, my heart is already at the starting line waiting for me. Cannot wait to get back into the running!

I hope you can pull on the runners soon!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 12:47 pm

I hope you can pull on the runners soon!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 12:47 pm

I hope you can pull on the runners soon!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 12:47 pm

I hope you can pull on the runners soon!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 12:47 pm

I hope you can pull on the runners soon!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 1:26 pm

I find your attitude about life so refreshing! You’re amazing lady! I bet your friends loved seeing you there to support them!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 1:26 pm

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 1:26 pm

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 1:26 pm

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 1:26 pm

Julianne     at 1:52 pm

I know exactly how you feel about being on the sidelines. I had to cancel my NYC marathon registration and I watched MCM. Will be watching NYC as well, but I’m itching to come back stronger than ever!

Julianne     at 1:52 pm

Julianne     at 1:52 pm

Julianne     at 1:52 pm

Julianne     at 1:52 pm

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 2:22 pm

Very much enjoyed this post, Emily! I’m not even sure if my knee will make the half this month. So, I’m starting to set my sights on spring as well! I loved all your photos. You’re right, it’s way better to cheer than pout. And you look gorgeous!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 2:22 pm

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 2:22 pm

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 2:22 pm

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 2:22 pm

Necia     at 2:25 pm

Hi There, Im delurking today to let you know I’ve been reading your blog and I LOVE IT! Thanks for providing me with an outlet to help past my time.

Necia     at 2:25 pm

Necia     at 2:25 pm

Necia     at 2:25 pm

Necia     at 2:25 pm

Melissa R.     at 3:12 pm

Thanks for coming out and cheering yesterday! I’m not sure I would have been mentally able to do that but you are amazing!
I totally missed seeing you (didn’t think to look) but I was right behind “Peanut Butter Girl” for quite some time and ended up finishing in 4:02. That bridge and Crystal City were tough mentally!

Melissa R.     at 3:12 pm

Melissa R.     at 3:12 pm

Melissa R.     at 3:12 pm

Melissa R.     at 3:12 pm

Stacey     at 3:49 pm

Good for you Emily :) I love encouraging other runners…it won’t be long before you are out there with them :)

Stacey     at 3:49 pm

Stacey     at 3:49 pm

Stacey     at 3:49 pm

Stacey     at 3:49 pm

Krista (kristastes)     at 3:55 pm

Loved your recap! You can TOTALLY do the marathon in March :)

Krista (kristastes)     at 3:55 pm

Loved your recap! You can TOTALLY do the marathon in March :)

Krista (kristastes)     at 3:55 pm

Loved your recap! You can TOTALLY do the marathon in March :)

Krista (kristastes)     at 3:55 pm

Loved your recap! You can TOTALLY do the marathon in March :)

Krista (kristastes)     at 3:55 pm

Loved your recap! You can TOTALLY do the marathon in March :)

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion     at 4:07 pm

Sorry you couldn’t participate but how great for you to cheer on the other runners!

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion     at 4:07 pm

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion     at 4:07 pm

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion     at 4:07 pm

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion     at 4:07 pm

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 7:22 pm

Oh my goodness – the “awesome” man running with the American flag w/ the crazy-cool mustache is from Sarasota, FL! I see him almost every weekend running – he started the tradition of running with the flag a while ago and runs almost every weekend with one, and always on holidays like 4th of July, Labor Day and even 9/11. He even sets up spots on his long run courses for people to join him for a few patriotic miles. So fun to see him on someone’s blog!

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 7:22 pm

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 7:22 pm

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 7:22 pm

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 7:22 pm

steph @ goeatapeach     at 10:27 pm

i watched from around mile 19 too, sad i didn’t bump into you! i stumbled upon the marathon accidentally while staying with a friend in capitol hill. nothing put my lazy, 30-minutes sunday jog in perspective quite like running into mile 19 of the MCM!

steph @ goeatapeach     at 10:27 pm

steph @ goeatapeach     at 10:27 pm

steph @ goeatapeach     at 10:27 pm

steph @ goeatapeach     at 10:27 pm

KatieF     at 6:21 am

I was cheering right near mile 19, too! I must have been right near you and didn’t even notice!

KatieF     at 6:21 am

KatieF     at 6:21 am

KatieF     at 6:21 am

KatieF     at 6:21 am

Kamaile     at 11:07 am

What a great recap! I ran this marathon for the first time Sunday and it was AWESOME! Best marathon ever. Mile 20 bridge is no joke! My time was 5:01, not what I wanted but a PR so I cannot complain. First time in DC and what a fabulous city you live in Emily!! :-)

Kamaile     at 11:07 am

Kamaile     at 11:07 am

Kamaile     at 11:07 am

Kamaile     at 11:07 am

Kirsten     at 10:43 pm

Thanks so much for coming out to cheer last weekend. I ran MCM and mile 19 was just where the cheering made the difference. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG! Congrats to you for finishing MCM – that is awesome!

Kirsten     at 10:43 pm

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG! Congrats to you for finishing MCM – that is awesome!

Kirsten     at 10:43 pm

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG! Congrats to you for finishing MCM – that is awesome!

Kirsten     at 10:43 pm

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG! Congrats to you for finishing MCM – that is awesome!

Kirsten     at 10:43 pm

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

OMG! Congrats to you for finishing MCM – that is awesome!

2010: A Year In Review | Daily Garnish     at 10:35 am

[...] found myself sidelined for both the Columbus Half-Marathon and the Marine Corps Marathon, but I went and cheered my heart out despite the fact that I couldn’t run [...]