The Newest Mr. and Mrs. Malone!

Wow, I feel so out of touch!  Between the accident, the wedding events, the half-marathon, and Project Food Blog (voting is open!), I feel like I’ve been away from my computer for so much longer than a few short days.  So begins the catching up…

We left off on Saturday morning, the day of the wedding.  As I said before, I woke up in a shocking amount of pain.  I’ve never experienced anything quite like it.  I was in a lot of pain Friday too, so I went and got my prescription filled for Percocet.  I took it the minute I woke up on Saturday, and while it did help the pain in my leg, it also made me incredibly shaky and sick.  Even so, I slooooowly made my way to the hair salon to get ready for the big day.  This is my brave face.

IMG_2015 (480x640)

We got to the bride’s house a little late because I was trying to get my nausea and stomach under control.  The last thing I wanted was to be any sort of damper on her wedding day, and I didn’t mention a thing about the pain or sickness when I got there.  I also didn’t want to be throwing up at her house.  When I finally made it up the stairs to see her, she looked absolutely stunning – took my breath away!

IMG_2016 (479x640)

Bridesmaids were busy getting made up and beautiful.

IMG_2017 (480x640)

Katie has such a nice group of high school and college friends, and I felt really lucky and loved by all of them.  They were all very supportive of my slow speed and extra needs.

IMG_2022 (640x480)

IMG_2018 (640x479)

I found this sign hanging downstairs…

IMG_2027 (640x474)

And couldn’t help but sneak a peek.  So gorgeous!

IMG_2023 (478x640)

By lunch time I was finally able to stomach some fruit and bottled water, which made me a little less shaky.

IMG_2024 (478x640)

With our hair and makeup done, we made our way to the church.  Ohio is SO beautiful with all the changing trees!  The bride and groom could not have asked for a more perfect wedding day.

IMG_2029 (640x468)

Beautiful flowers awaited at the church.  The bride’s bouquet…

IMG_2035 (479x640)

And our gorgeous orange calla lilies.

IMG_2036 (640x479)

Time to get dressed!

IMG_2039 (480x640)

Katie was absolutely stunning.  I was so happy to get to be with her and share in the excitement of her big day.

IMG_2047 (467x640) dth="369" height="504" />

When it was time to get dressed, I hauled myself out of my chair and took a painful amount of time to wiggle my dress onto my body.  At least I felt pretty with curly hair and gorgeous earrings.

IMG_20101016_135531 (470x640)

Haley works as a technician in an obgyn office, and she acted as my personal nurse all day.  I don’t know what I would have done without her!  It was also her 25th birthday – HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HALEY!  :)

IMG_2048 (458x640)

One of the best parts of this weekend was not only getting to see all of Casey’s amazing family, but I also got to see mine!  A lot of people commented that they couldn’t believe I still went through with the trip after my accident.  To be honest, I spent the whole first two days in shock, not really understanding the gravity of what had happened.  I knew that our families were all going to be together on the other end, and at the time that was all I could focus on.  There were a few tears when I finally saw my mom and Sarah.

IMG_2050 (640x469)

Before the wedding, I handed my camera off to Ella who got some amazing pictures for me!  The groom, waiting for things to get started…

IMG_2051 (480x640)

And then it was time for bridesmaids, and I was first.  Going into the wedding day, I had decided that I was going to try to make it down the aisle without my crutches.  I had stayed off my leg a lot and rested it so that I’d be able to make the trek.  A few minutes before the ceremony, I tried on my heels and realized that my walking speed was SO slow that it didn’t really matter what shoes I was wearing.  I made the bold decision to put them on and walk very carefully.  My huge ace bandage and bruises were enough of an eye sore, and I didn’t want ugly flip flops to ruin all of Katie’s wedding photos!

Very very carefully, I took the first brave step.

IMG_2054 (473x640)

I was very nervous and very shaky, and I know you could read it all over my face.  But ever so slowly I made my way down.  I like to think it added to the romantic drama of the evening.

IMG_2056 (474x640)

Halfway down, I met my partner who gave me a much needed arm to lean on.  Poor guy – I had a death grip.

IMG_2057 (477x640)

All lined up, the groom eagerly awaited his bride.

IMG_2058 (476x640)

Precious ring bearers…

IMG_2061 (472x640)

And then the main event!

IMG_2064 (480x640)

I absolutely love this picture – so touching.

IMG_2065 (471x640)

I have never seen more tears at a wedding.  The bride and groom (and everyone else) sobbed through the whole thing.  It was really special.

The ceremony was a full Catholic mass, which actually worked out well for me, even though it was an hour long.  We were seated most of the time, so I was able to keep my leg up and not put too much pressure on it.

IMG_2077 (473x640)

Rings were exchanged…IMG_2080 (479x640)

And a new Mrs. Malone joined our family.  :)

IMG_2082 (470x640)

IMG_2090 (464x640)

After the wedding, we rejoined with family for a bit.

IMG_2091 (640x465)

Check out the handsome best man!

IMG_2093 (479x640)

And his gorgeous mom.  Don’t they look so much alike?

IMG_2094 (471x640)

There was a long three hour break between the ceremony and reception, where we took ten million pictures.  I can’t wait to see how they all turn out!

IMG_2096 (640x478)

I hid in the back for most of them so that my bandage wouldn’t be a huge eye sore.

IMG_2099 (640x479)

The bridal party left the church and boarded a party bus to take us for more photos in a big park.

When we weren’t taking pictures, I was propped up in the front of the bus with my legs elevated across Casey’s lap.

While the dresses were very pretty, they were not the easiest to maneuver my elevated legs.  Pretty sure I did a LOT of flashing.

IMG_20101016_180744 (640x478)

Eventually, we made our way to the reception where the party finally got started.

Casey made a really touching speech that made me sob like a fool.

He and Kirt have a very competitive brother dynamic, and it was really special to hear them be so open and loving to each other.  Lots of tears.  I love them both so much.

Because I am classy, I pulled an extra chair up to
the head table and got a big bag of ice from the wait staff.  I did my absolute best to keep smiling and not let my leg be too much of a nuisance.  Despite the pain and frustration of being so immobile, I was so happy to be with our families.

The reception was breathtaking.  I wish my pictures weren’t all so yellow, but the lighting was really tough.

I can’t say enough about how much I love this guy.  I have never seen him more scared than he was on Thursday, and he has helped me non-stop with no complaints ever since.  He has changed many bandages, wiped many tears, and is the only reason I was able to keep smiling this weekend.

He also delivered WEDDING CAKE.  I ate two pieces.  :)

They say that things happen for a reason.  I don’t know what the reason for any of this was, but if it had to happen at some point, at least it fell a few days before I got to be with my family.  Virginia, Ohio, and Indiana – all together in one spot.

Now that Sarah is in school I don’t get to see or talk to her nearly enough.  We had fun sitting and talking all night while everyone else partied and danced.

The rest of the guests hit the dance floor…

And I watched from my throne.  :)  Sad because I think I would have actually danced at this wedding!  It looked like so much fun.

It was a wild group of wedding guests!  This was not the YMCA, but instead, a room of Ohio State fans screaming Hang on Sloopy.  :)

By the end of the night, the long day was wearing on me.  Time to head back to the hotel for more ice and rest.

We said goodbye to the bride and groom (can you tell they are brothers?).

And finally crashed in our hotel room around midnight.  It was a long, but wonderful day.  After a traumatizing accident, there was no place I would have rather been than with our families.   I think the events of the previous days made me appreciate my love and my marriage that much more, and it was fun to relive all of those feelings.

I felt very blessed to be able to stand by Kirt and Katie’s sides on their big day, and I am so grateful to them for including me in their celebration.  Congrats to the new Mr. and Mrs. Malone!

Katie KS     at 7:39 pm

Aw, looks like so much fun! I have to say as soon as I found out you were ok and were still going to the wedding that my first thought was “I hope for her sake the bridesmaid dress is at least tea length.” Oh well, you rocked it anyway. Continued wishes for recovery!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha the dress was NOT easy to maneuver given my circumstances, but I did my best.

Evan Thomas     at 7:40 pm

I can’t believe you actually walked down the aisle so soon after the accident. Like I’ve always thought, you’re hard core

Jessica (electropositive)     at 7:41 pm

What a wonderful recap! It looks like it was a magical wedding.

I do have to say that you looked great despite the bandage! When you’re feeling better I think you should wear those heels (and earrings) full-time :)

cassie     at 7:43 pm

i hope you are starting to feel better soon. i took percocet once and i passed out in the shower :(. looked like a beautiful wedding and columbus really did have the most amazing weather this weekend!

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]     at 7:43 pm

A total rockstar! Can’t believe you made it down the aisle after the accident. Looks like such a great time. :) And yes, beautiful dresses!

sassy molassy     at 7:45 pm

What a beautiful wedding! You look great.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 7:46 pm

You are one brave girl! Glad that you got to be with your family – that’s so comforting after something like what you went through!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 7:48 pm

I’m really impressed with how you’ve handled yourself throughout this whole ordeal. I like that you found a way to focus on the positive. That is an important memory and I’m glad you chose to experience it.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 7:48 pm

Wowwww loveeee the new Mrs. Malone’s gown plus the bridesmaid gowns — the knot at the bust is so gorgeous!! Loveeeee Mrs. Malone’s mother dress as well — gorgeous!! Everything looks like a blast Emily and you did such a great job!!

Stacey     at 7:53 pm

I love this post! The bride looks beautiful and so do you, even with the bandages :) I’m glad you had a fun time and were able to be with both of your families! Hope you get some rest!

tina     at 7:53 pm

omg, i totally started to tear up… reminding me of my wedding day (only a month ago!)

great recap- everything was beautiful- and you are such a trooper! i’m sure they were so happy to have you there!

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 7:54 pm

You deserved an entire cake for all you’ve been through!! And you were beautiful so don’t worry about the bandages! The bride was gorgeous as well. Glad you got to enjoy your time despite the accident!!

kelli     at 8:02 pm

wow you are so strong and brave to walk down the aisle in high heels crutchless!! you and your family look gorgeous :D

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 8:06 pm

You are such a trooper! Totally impressed with your dedication to making sure the attention was on the bride and groom. You are so sweet – they are just as lucky to have you as you are to have them. :)

Also, please let me know if you need chaffeuring around Old Town or if you need anything picked up and run over to your place. I just hate that some crazy lady fouled things up so much for you. :(

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You are so nice! Thank you :)

Emily     at 8:10 pm

What a gorgeous wedding!! So happy that you made it there and got to be with so many of the people that you love:) What a blessing!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 8:22 pm

Aw Emily, you were such a champ and you looked beautiful! What a gorgeous ceremony too! I hope you heal fast sweetie!

Nicole     at 8:25 pm

You guys looked fantastic! Perfect weather here this weekend for the wedding.

LOL, I know that church! I used to go there when I was a kid and endured many boring hours of CCD at the school next to it. I only suspected with the first few pictures, but when I saw that weird hidey-hole thing that they have up in the front, I knew it was St. Brendan’s!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yep, same church! Haha, small world.

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 8:28 pm

You’re such a strong (and beautiful!) woman. Also, the bride is absolutely radiant; congrats to them!

kATH     at 8:31 pm

Well I don’t know how you felt, but you sure looked STUNNING!

Lauren @ laurenINlawrence     at 8:32 pm

What beautiful dresses you all got to wear – I was just browsing the newest J.Crew catalog and admiring all of the gorgeous colors that dress comes in. The bride’s dress was so pretty, too! Family is so important, so I’m glad you were able to make the trip in one piece!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 8:33 pm

1. I love the ‘death grip’ photo. It looks like you made his arm fall asleep. JK

2. The orange calla lillies look like peach slices

3. Not sure how but you managed to make me tear up with this post.

I’m a huge believer that everything happens for a reason and while it might not be apparent now, it will make sense on day. You will be a stronger person at the end of the day and you WILL run again….MCM next year and I’ll be there to see you cross the finish line.

Congrats to your brother in law and your new sister in law!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks Allie! Couldn’t have done it without YOU too. LOL at the peach slices. :)

Lauren     at 8:41 pm

What a truly beautiful wedding. Can I just tell you how amazing you are for never once putting your extremely painful and unfortunate situation before your sister in law. Wow, you are an angel. I don’t even think I would have been able to do any of this with what you just went through, but this my dear friend proves just how strong of a woman you truly are. No marathon will ever prove the amount of grace, endurance and power you possess. I am in awe! :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thank you – that means a lot. I needed to hear that! :)

Amy     at 8:46 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous wedding, and how strong and brave you must be to go through with the whole day! I hope you have some time off to relax once you get back home.

And I LOVE the bride’s dress and your bridesmaid dress! So elegant.

Pure2Raw Twins     at 8:52 pm

Amazing!! You are so strong and beautiful! Everything the whole event, everything was breathtaking :) So glad you got to be there for such an amazing event with family and friends!!!

Katie     at 8:54 pm

The only detail I’ve ever really thought about for my future wedding (really future, I’m single) is to have a fall wedding. Gorgeous colors. What a lovely wedding- dresses, flowers, bride, bridesmaids, everything. What a brave little bridesmaid you are!

Anne     at 9:01 pm

Aww, looks like you guys had a great time!

Lee     at 9:05 pm

I’m glad you got to see your family. You looked great. Love the bridesmaid dresses.

Caitlin     at 9:24 pm

I tried on those bridesmaid dresses at J. Crew in NYC a few months ago and loved them – you can definitely wear that one again!

Like everyone else has already said, you are quite a trooper. How many other girls would have whined and made a fuss all night? A LOT. You are such a great sister! I’m so glad you got to be with your family – it’s exactly what you needed!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:26 pm

You are so brave Emily. I would have been complaining like a baby. I give you a lot of credit!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It)     at 9:36 pm

I have been reading your blog for a while now but I think this might be my first comment. I wanted to say first, that I am thankful you are OK and hope that you heal quickly. Great pictures and I’m so glad you were able to still go. The comment you made about your hubby made me tear up because I know exactly how you feel as I have an amazing hubby too. I LOVE to hear about great relationships like this because you know they are very hard to find and we are totally blessed!

Oh and I have been voting for your recipes all along! You rock!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks Angie! We ARE blessed. :) I couldn’t imagine what this week would have been like without him.

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 9:37 pm

My oh my – what a beautiful wedding and such a lovely heartfelt recap :)

Emilyeatsclean     at 9:41 pm

That really was a beautiful wedding….I loooove the bride’s dress and the bridemaids’ dresses. Way to go making it down the aisle….thank goodness it was a Catholic wedding!! ;) Hope you’re feeling better.

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 9:44 pm

I totally teared up reading this. I greatly admire the courage and strength it took to put on that brave smile all night.

Don’t worry about trying to find meaning in all this yet (though if your interested, my post from today touches on this). One day you’ll be able to look back on this time and figure out how to put a positive spin on it. For now, just try to get through it day by day. I KNOW how hard it must be, how frustrating (while not nearly as traumatic I’ve been dealing with some of the same issues in having my back injury- surgery is in the future). If you want feel free to email me and we can commiserate! I know you have lots of support!

BTW- as usually you got my FIRST vote in Project Food Blog- Front Burner FTW!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks Jayna!

Sharon     at 10:08 pm

You looked so pretty, bandage and all! I love your dress :) I’m so happy you got to spend time with your family after your horrifying accident – it definitely helps ease the pain being around those you love.

Hang in there, Emily. I am praying for a speedy recovery for you and I wish you all the happiness in the world :)

Ashley     at 10:14 pm

1-Heading to vote right after this 2-You look gorgeous!!! 3-The bride looks amazing..one of my favorite dresses ever! 4-Casey rocks. 5-Glad you got to see your family after what happened to you!! 6- Glad you ate 2 pieces of cake :) 7- YAY for being safe + sound back at home. <3

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:37 pm

Aw, Emily, you are such a trooper!!! I love that you prepped and worried beforehand so you could just be happy around the bride. She was gorgeous! Love the white flower. :-) I hope you start to hurt less soon!

You look absolutely beautiful! And Katie is an absolutely stunning bride!

I can’t believe you made it through a whole wedding like that. Definitely one strong girl!

Still praying for a quick and safe recovery.

Lani     at 11:11 pm

Beautiful! Hope you are feeling okay.

Krista (kristastes)     at 11:15 pm

Beautiful wedding!! Way to be a trooper lady! :) Hope you are on the up and up!

Kathleen     at 11:26 pm

So gorgeous! The dresses were fabulous. Congrats to them both! You are such a trooper, glad you got to be part of the day and that you are now home resting. Take care Emily.

Katie (Sweet Tater)     at 11:42 pm

beautiful wedding! i wasn’t a cryer at weddings until i fell in love. :) now i kind of get it, i guess.

PS – the “katie” above the hairspray picture is linked to me. whoops!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha whoops! I fixed it. :) I’m not usually a crier either, but this one got me.

Emily     at 12:07 am

You rock! So proud of you for making it down the aisle (and I’ve never met you :)–again, you are providing inspiration to me in a time when my health is not its best. Thanks!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 12:30 am

Super-cute! You’re a trouper for smiling through nausea–something I *just* can’t do!

Nelle @ Living Cliche     at 12:40 am

Wow! I can’t believe you walked down the aisle without the crutches and in HEELS! I can’t walk that well in heels even with perfectly good legs. Maybe your sloooooow procession was for the best! You set the pace and people tend to race down the aisle because they’re nervous, so, you know, it was a good thing! :-)

maya     at 3:41 am

I’m in awe that you were able to walk down the aisle like that so soon after the accident. You are amazing! Keep your chin up, this will pass before you know it.

~Jessica~     at 4:52 am

What a touching post. You almost had me sobbing as if I was actually there.

I can’t believe how strong and selfless you are to battle through all of that pain and walk down the aisle regardless.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

~Jess~
xxx

Lucy     at 6:51 am

What a beautiful day!

Using crutches doesn’t mean you are a quitter. I found that an interesting choice of words. It means that you want your knee to keep functioning long into the rest of your life, and that you’ll give it the rest it needs even if that means “messing up” the bridal photos with crutches and non-heels.

I don’t want you to be missing races a year from now with a screwed up knee thinking “yeah, but at least I made it down the aisle in heels.”

Remember your lung thing last year? Don’t let your knee get worse because you want to be tough (or want to make sure that you don’t take the focus off the bride, whatever you call it) Take care of your body! It’s the only one you have.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

No you are right, crutches are not quitting. I more meant that I wasn’t going to not walk down the aisle, as long as I felt comfortable and safe doing so. I kept my leg up all day in order to prepare for being on it during the wedding. I’m determined to do whatever I need so that this heals completely, and I can get my running stride back. Thanks!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 7:08 am

Her wedding dress is GORGEOUS! Looks like a good time. And you totally rocked your dress, too — knee wrap or no knee wrap :)

Kristy     at 7:42 am

Such a good looking crowd :-) The flower arrangments are stunning and your badage added character to your outift.

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga)     at 7:48 am

What a beautiful wedding! And you are one seriously tough chiquita to walk down that aisle in heels with your injury!

Hope     at 7:50 am

This wedding was beautiful! You looked goregous! I wish you a speedy recovery! Things will get easier. :)

amy     at 7:52 am

what a beautiful wedding! everything looked so gorgeous including all the dresses.

you’re so sweet for biting your tongue to try and not ruin her day, but now that it’s over, focus on yourself and healing properly. don’t feel like you’re putting anyone out because of this. you need to heal and that may require the help of others. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Don’t worry, I am! My leg has been up and iced and I’ve been on the couch since I got home.

Therese     at 7:55 am

Oh my gosh! Everyone looked so gorgeous! I love weddings!

Also glad you’re back home and settled so you can get on with recovery!!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I love weddings too. :)

missy     at 9:06 am

The wedding was beautiful and you looked so pretty. I admire your attitude. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a friend like you.

Sending lots of get well wishes your way!

Brittney     at 9:11 am

You looked beautiful Emily! I love that the wedding crowd did “Hang On Sloopy”! I’ve been out of Ohio State so long that I sometimes forget this is a staple at any party :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:25 am

everything looks so beautiful. i’m glad you were still able to be there. feel better!

Caroline     at 9:28 am

You look so beautiful! I love the dress, hair, jewelry, shoes. What exquisite taste. I don’t think your bandage ruined anything. I also think you are much braver than I would have been in a similar situation. What a wonderful (new) sister.

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista)     at 9:30 am

Beautiful wedding, beautiful family, and beautiful you! Don’t worry I bet nobody even noticed your leg your face was too radiant, the bride was too radiant and all of the bridesmaids were as well. Hope you are stating to feel a little better :)

skinnyrunner     at 9:42 am

what beautiful pictures you, the bride and everyone else!
your attitude about it all is so inspiring and positive too.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 9:46 am

I love wedding pictures… especially fall weddings… so gorgeous. And I love your hair all curled- beautiful! You’re a rock star for making it through the wedding!

Amber@momsgottheruns     at 9:59 am

Beautiful pictures! You looked so pretty! As for the lortab…next time you need to take it, eat some food beforehand. it can really tear up an empty stomach BIG TIME!!! That way you can actually enjoy being pain free without feeling the need to vomit! : ) Hang in there!

Maryann     at 10:11 am

Emily,
Such fortitude you have. I don’t think I could have done it. You have a wonderful family and husband. Continue to rest your leg and prop up as much as possible with ice. I am a LPN but have retired to work for hubby at our business. Take the pain med or motrin for inflammation as needed.
We all wish you a speedy complete recovery.
You and the whole wedding party looked beautiful.
Blessings,
Lancaster Co PA Gal

Jen     at 10:20 am

Seriously beautiful wedding. Thank you for sharing the photos. And I just have to complement you on the grace you’ve shown while dealing with this injury and having to travel and be on your feet. You are so strong and so selfless.

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:21 am

Wow, Emily. I can’t get over what a strong person you are. You are being such a champ with this whole accident and this wedding recap just shows how determined you are. Thanks for being such a good role model and inspiration :)You’re in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

Jean Mitchell     at 10:27 am

Hi Emily!

You were such a trooper through the whole wedding! I can not even imagine the trauma you must have experienced being hit by a car, I’m so glad you are ok!

I don’t know if I’ve ever even commented before on your blog, but I’ve been a reader for a couple months.

I just HAD to say that it was surreal seeing pictures of you at my church in Columbus. :) St. Brenden’s, right? :) Your brother-in-law was married by my favorite Priest. I was tickled to see one of my favorite blogger in my neck of the woods! :)

Jean

Beth @ DiningAndDishing     at 10:30 am

Way to put on a brave face Emily! I’m sure it meant so much to your families that you still made the journey there and I bet you will be so glad when you look back and remember that you were able to make it. The bridesmaid dresses are so gorgeous!

Lynna     at 10:46 am

Hey Emily, this doesn’t have anything to do with the wedding but I was watching “The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Nutty” on the Food Network last night and Tyler Florence mentioned this peanut butter (http://www.spreadtherestaurant.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1).

They hand make TONS of different flavors (his favorite was white chocolate pb pretzel) in small batches and although they’re not cheap, it might be a fun treat for yourself (esp after all you’ve been through)!

April B     at 11:02 am

I love the dresses and flowers – what a beautiful wedding!! I know you weren’t feeling 100% but you looked beautiful!

Jessie     at 11:10 am

You look so pretty!

Janet Oberholtzer     at 11:15 am

Read your post about making HARVEST ROOT VEGETABLE PIE last week and wasn’t back here since then. Came back to catch up on reading and pull up the recipe because I want to make it today.

So sorry to hear about your accident and the resulting injuries. Glad you were still able to go to the wedding … but disappointed with you that you couldn’t dance. Seeing you sit on the sidelines with your leg propped up and ice on it brought back many feelings. I almost lost my life and my leg in an accident and spent months on the sidelines. Doctors weren’t sure I would ever walk again, but thankfully our bodies heal and today I am running again.

You mentioned the saying “Everything happens for a reason.” After my accident, I had that said to me a zillion times. For a while, I believed it, but with time I quit believing that saying. Now I tend to believe that “Everything happens. A reason may or may not come out of it — it depends on our choices.”

I live with pain/limitations and a deformed leg and I don’t see/feel/think there is a reason for that. Yes, I learned a lot through the ordeal (and continue to) but accident ruin many peoples lives and no ‘reason’ comes out of them. And I could have easily stayed on the couch and done nothing. Only by choosing to focus on rebuilding my life by “doing what I could, with what I had, where I was” was I able to move on and enjoy life again. But I still wish I could have skipped that chapter of my life.

I found out through my ordeal that just like our bodies need time and rest to heal, so do our emotions and mind. So take one day and one step at at time. Give your body/mind/spirit time to heal … they’ve all been through a lot.

Off to make a delicious sounding Harvest Root Vege Pie :)

Katie @ The Boston Marathoner     at 11:26 am

I’m sad that you didn’t get to dance at the wedding! It looks like it was a beautiful ceremony & reception – and the dancing is always my favorite part. Hang on to that man of yours, and I hope you get better soon.

Katie

Little Bookworm     at 11:27 am

Hi Emily. Just found your blog and I think it is great! I hope your knee gets better soon. The photos from the wedding look amazing. :)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 11:33 am

You are so pretty :smile: Her dress is to die for, too. So, so beautiful. I’m glad you were able to have a good time.

P.S. Got the Reader working. Thanks for that. I’m slow sometimes.

Mary     at 11:34 am

You look so beautiful despite you bandage! Good for you for going to the wedding and allowing it to still be their day. That takes a lot of strength and grace!

It is amazing how quickly your life can change. I was at a birthday party in June 09 and was having a great time one minute and then next minute the deck I was on collapsed. I fell 20 feet and broke my back, my leg and my ankle. No one else was hurt. It has taken months of healing and countless hours of physical therapy to get me to where I am now. Sometimes you can’t see why bad things happen but I promise you will find the silver lining out of this situation. Stay strong and positive!

P.S. I love reading your blog!

Nic     at 12:31 pm

Very sweet post. Tears when I saw the bride slip into her wedding dress. Weddings are great, right? And you were such a trooper… all while looking stunning!

AllieNic @Frisky Lemon     at 12:59 pm

What a beautiful wedding! Those bridesmaids dresses are super cute! Kudos for walking down the aisle in heels after your accident!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 1:02 pm

Your brave face looks very brave! You looked beautiful at the wedding, and the bride is STUNNING!

I can’t believe you’re already up and walking unassisted! You’re making a great recovery!

It looks like an awesome evening and vacation Emily, I’m glad you got to be there!

Katelyn     at 2:15 pm

You were totally amazing for walking in those heals; that is such a wonderful way to show your support by still participating! The wedding party looked stunning.

I’m sure you know this, but once pain is out of control it is very, very difficult to get it back in control. Nausea is a common side effect of prescription pain medication, which is a major bummer. Since I’m not a doctor, the main piece of advice I’ll put out there is this: you can always ask your pharmacist or doctor for instruction as to what combination of OTC medications you can take that will still give you some relief, but generally have less side effects

Cynthia     at 2:30 pm

Looks like a beautiful wedding. You were so beautiful. I am glad that you were still able to make it for the wedding after the accident. Hope your leg feels better soon!

Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 4:05 pm

You look fabulous in your dress, bandage and all! :) It looks like a beautiful wedding.

Theresa     at 5:04 pm

Hi Emily,

I was so sorry to hear about your accident. I can’t even imagine how difficult these few days must have been for you – I’m so impressed by how brave you’ve been. If I were in your shoes, I’m not sure I would have been able to fly out to a wedding just a day later.

I live in the area (NoVA) and would be happy to bring by some vegetarian chili or other veggie fare. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help while you’re recovering.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 7:17 pm

Gorgeous wedding! I absolutely LOVE the bridesmaids’ dresses. So cute. Hope you are healing quickly!

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice     at 7:19 pm

you are amazing for being so brave and staying strong through the day. It looks like it was a gorgeous wedding. The bride’s dress is seriously breathtaking.

Christina     at 7:46 pm

Great job! I got hit by a car a few years ago and had a huge leg injury- basically a bruise the size and shape of a buttcheek, but halfway down my leg. A couple of things my friends in the medical field told me- as soon as you don’t need to ice, apply heat as often as you can to keep blood flowing to the injury. Otherwise you can end up with a permanent hard lump. We’re talking applying heat for months after it, until there’s absolutely no color left at the site of the injury. Also they told me to wear compression hose and take a baby asprin before flying because even years later you’re more prone to blood clots in your legs from the injury. Hope those things help, and REST! :) Take care.

Erin     at 9:26 pm

Emily,

First off, I have loved your blog for a while and read it daily on my google reader. Though I originally got hooked on your blog because I am a total foodie, I really enjoy your writing; its just so honest and real. I was so upset to read about your accident and I am glad you are okay. You will get through this. Take it day by day and stay on top of your pain control. Best wishes to a speedy recovery!

Nikki     at 9:54 pm

Are you concerned about gaining weight from not being about to exercise for so long? That is a huge fear of mine. Yours too???

Kerr     at 10:53 am

What a beautiful wedding. You are an amazing person to go through with everything after being hurt so badly. The bridesmaids dresses are gorgeous!

Anotherpage     at 8:44 pm

You made a good choice going to the wedding and to see your family! The bridesmaids dresses were beautiful! You looked great!

Gina @ Walk to the Mailbox     at 8:56 pm

Oh no big deal, just browsing your favorites to find this post’s origin was in Columbus, OH (my hometown). Then I see pictures of my friend Katie Dobies (Malone) and realize that you two are now family. Small.World. Katie and I grew up in Upper Arlington and have very close mutual friends from college and beyond. How amazing. I love this tiny, tiny planet.