The Water’s Edge.

Ever since we moved here just a little over one month ago, it has been so much fun for me to adjust to working from home.  Our dogs are spoiled to death by having us home all the time, and we are lucky enough to sit side by side at our big communal desk together.  (Good thing we like each other so much!)

But sometimes the dogs get whiny, our chairs feel stiff, and we just need a little outside stimulation.  So every other day or so, we typically pack up our laptops and head into town to work from local coffee shops.  I am totally in love with King Street, so I walk up there every chance I can get.  I mean there is a TROLLEY – doesn’t get more charming than that.

While heading to today’s work spot, I may or may not have stopped into Banana Republic and bought denim leggings.  Are these still in style?  Let’s hope so.  I have zero fashion sense.

Today’s coffee shop of choice – one of two Starbucks located on the long stretch of King Street.

We affectionately refer to this one as “The Starbunker.”  It is actually a historic seaside restaurant that was build in 1765, and all of the original stone and architecture is still there.

It sort of feels like you are working from an underground stone cave – very charming and cozy.

It was pretty crowded today, so we had to share a tiny table in the middle.  Usually we sit in the comfy lounge chairs in the corner, but someone had decided to take a nap there today…

Since I drank close to a gallon of coffee this morning at home, I opted for a simple chai tea as my “I’m buying something since I’m taking up space and using your internet” drink.

My favorite thing about working from this particular Starbucks, is actually what is waiting just around the corner.  Can you see it?

The beautiful waterfront marina, just steps away.

I have always been a reflective type of person.  I think that’s why I love the water so much.  Something about sitting and staring at water makes me feel so peaceful and calm.

Typically this area is bustling with tourists and families.  But on a cloudy afternoon like today, I had the waterfront almost entirely to myself.

After a short 15 minute walk around the water’s edge, I headed back to the Starbunker feeling calm and relaxed, ready to plow through my inbox and to-do list.

A few fun things of note today…

In case you missed it on Twitter, make sure to check out my guest post over at dailySpark!

Finally sitting down and writing out my “healthy journey” was very liberating.  So after over two years of blogging, I was finally able to add some long-overdue content to my About Me page – check it out!

On a different end of the Internet, a few of my favorite fall recipes are posted in New Jersey Life Health & Beauty Magazine – yum!

Trying my very first yoga class here in my new hometown tonight.  Excited and a teeny bit nervous – wish me luck!

CathyK     at 3:31 pm

enjoy your jegging leggings! they are still very much the rage…and so comfy!
love your starbunker. i love cafe’s with character. my favourite in my hometown dates from the ate 1800′s. more cosy than a brand new coffee shop!

Sarah     at 3:34 pm

I bought denim leggings a couple of weeks ago and haven’t looked back. I love mine! How nice to be able to carve out some time to reflect on the water – I do my best thinking near water so I totally understand :)

Natalia - a side of simple     at 3:41 pm

You don’t give yourself enough style credit, Emily! You’re outfits are always so charming and adorable. I love the top you’re wearing in these photos! Good luck with yoga tonight!

JL Goes Vegan     at 3:41 pm

What a lovely community you live in! Great post on dailySpark! By the way, reading your career journey reminded me of something I was going to suggest to you. I’m going to email you!

Claire @ Low Impact Fashionista     at 3:41 pm

Loved this post, basically because it reminds me of my day! I just bought 2 pairs of jeggings, one black one denim, although mine were from Target! (So comfy, they almost feel like yoga pants) I love Banana Republic but just can’t justify the price tag on my college budget. I also am currently blogging and studying (or well I guess reading blogs…oops!) in a coffee shop because I couldn’t get work done in my tiny apartment. Sadly I don’t have a marina nearby but I do have a lovely view of the Mississippi River.

Whitney     at 3:42 pm

Yes, they are called Jeggings and are very popular now! Good job on the purchase and what a cute Starbucks! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite     at 3:43 pm

Love that Starbucks!

Michelle @ IronDivas     at 3:44 pm

I could wear ANY kind of leggings EVERYday if I were allowed, lol. They are just sooo freakin comfortable… and the jean ones are too adorable. Something about walking around feeling so light and free, kind of like you don’t have pants on, haha.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 3:47 pm

I love leggings – I could wear them EVERY DAY! I do have a pair of jeggings as well! They’re comfy!

Gabrielle @ Weightless     at 3:51 pm

LOL on the jeggings, Emily. I was going to a couples shower last Saturday that was being held at a swanky bar, and when I pulled out my jeggings from the closet that I bought last year, my first thought was, “Are these still cool?”

Heather     at 3:52 pm

My husband and I love water too. One reason we are about to move 15 min from the ocean!

Mama Pea     at 3:52 pm

I’m envious that you have such a peaceful, lovely place so close to you!

You are brave to buy those “jeggings.” I couldn’t even bring myself to be courageous enough to buy them for the girls!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 3:57 pm

I like the idea of being able to work from home. Maybe some day . . . .

But I also understand how it could get old — as much as I like my lounge around the apartment days, I kind of like the routine of getting up and leaving for work. If I worked from home, I’d never change out of my t-shirt and sweat pants ;)

Madison     at 3:59 pm

I’ll say it again… So glad you went ahead and bought them! They are perfect for tucking into boots when it gets cold. :)

Kelly     at 4:02 pm

Can you recommend a good vegetarian cookbook or you pretty much come up with recipes on the spot?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I do a lot of recipes out of my head, but I have all my favorite vegetarian and vegan cookbooks in the “books” section of my Amazon store!

Liz @ LBBakes     at 4:04 pm

Your new neighborhood is so quaint! I love it.

Stacey     at 4:12 pm

Good luck with your yoga class! I agree :) Water has a tranquil effect on me as well. I love being near it, around it or IN it haha :D Glad you and your hubby get to work together! My dog is the same. Ever since I quit my job and focused on finishing school, I am at home more and she is loving every minute of it. I can hardly get any work done here because of all the attention she begs for! :D

I’m confused, does chai have less caffeine than coffee? I love chai, but the caffeine gets me every time!

I so wish I lived near the ocean! I totally feel calm and peaceful listening to the waves. For some reason going to a river or lake just isn’t the same!

stephanie     at 4:22 pm

I spy the Torpedo Factory! We almost had our wedding there… it was our second choice venue.

Marci     at 4:24 pm

Such a great office with a view! I also think it’s great that you and your husband are together all day. Really fun and cute.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 4:28 pm

I’ve also been loving “working” from home this past month. I wish I had the lovely waterfront to visit, but I am trying to remind myself to get out and enjoy the outdoors once in a while and get my fill of all my Cincinnati favorites.

Maggie     at 4:28 pm

If you haven’t already you should go into the Torpedo Factory. I went in there when I was visiting a friend in Old Town and there are many, many great and interesting artists!

Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 4:32 pm

I love the area you photographed, it looks beautiful. Congrats on your two web appearances – how exciting!

Erin @ Hungry Times Two     at 5:14 pm

Have you visted the Torpedo Factory yet? Cool art in an amazing old Art Deco building right there in one of your photos!

Felicity     at 5:18 pm

I love your top! Also, my mom used to work in the Torpedo Factory, when she lived in Alexandria. : )

Julie     at 5:20 pm

I have been a SparkPeople user for over a year and was SO excited to see you on their dailyspark site yesterday! : D It was such a happy surprise as I am also a faithful follower of The Front Burner, too. I love your stuff, so keep it comin’!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 5:26 pm

What a gorgeous location indeed!

Anne     at 5:48 pm

What an inspiring view! Love it :)

Liz     at 5:49 pm

Don’t you just love being with your Dh everyday? My husband & I have been working together for over three years and we both love it. We do have to leave the house and go to our office everyday though. We don’t work with anyone else though, so it’s still fun!

Monica     at 6:09 pm

Haha, love the picture of the napping person in the background of your photo! Too funny!

Good luck at yoga tonight and have fun!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils     at 6:15 pm

Maybe you mentioned this already, but what is your “work from home” business?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Wow – how did I miss this comments? Sorry! Right now I’m working from home on freelance writing and blog projects, but I’m looking for something part time in the area now that we’ve moved.

maria @ Chasing the Now     at 7:12 pm

Love the D.C. shots. It’s very interesting that they converted that old restaurant to a Starbucks. Much cooler than typical Sbux stores.

Billy     at 8:02 pm

Hi Emily. You are doing what my wife and I can only get to do on weekends which is why we plan on moving there ourselves soon. If you have not already done so, you and Casey need to take the boat to Georgetown before they stop for the season. Also, if you want great coffee, you must go to La Madeleine…sorry but I am quite sure they do not have wifi however, their coffee really makes up for it.

Krystina     at 8:17 pm

Congrats on the featured recipes! I’ve never owned jeggings but I have no problem wearing regular leggings as “pants”.

Carlee     at 8:17 pm

I want to love leggings. And I do love them, on other people. I have tried on occasion to wear them but just feel ridiculous. hahaha. But they look great on other people so it’s probably just in my head.

I love me some Starbucks. I have had to limit myself to one a week to cut back on caffine and save some $$!

Lindsay     at 8:40 pm

Love this post, Emily! I LOVE that Starbucks, but I haven’t been in years! I used to bike there almost every weekend when I lived in Arlington…and I dream about working from a coffee shop so I can live vicariously through your post.

Oh and jeggings (jean leggings!) are totally still in style, I hope, since I wore them yesterday :)

Emily     at 8:41 pm

I love being by the water too; there is something so therapeutic about it :) Working/studying from home is great but I agree, getting out is good for the mind and body!

Lauren     at 8:43 pm

You are fitting into this city so well. I can’t wait until the next time I come to DC. I will be sure to let you know. Definitely coming this April for the Cherry Blossom run. It’s my absolute favorite!

claire     at 9:16 pm

Wow, that starbucks really is so charming! I have never been to DC or the surrounding areas and your blog really makes me want to!

Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers     at 9:53 pm

I feel the same way around water :-) Hope your yoga class was great! Hope to join you at one, one of these days!

Ginna     at 10:00 pm

Emily – u definitely have fashion sense! I just got some jeggings myself that I can’t wait to break out this fall.

I am lucky to have my hubby home during the week too (since he does shift work) and it is great!

Can’t wait to try your squash and black bean chili!

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food     at 10:19 pm

I love jeggings! I need to buy another pair.

Emilyeatsclean     at 10:40 pm

What an awesome Starbucks!! I don’t blame you all for heading there to work a couple times a week!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales)     at 8:20 am

I absolutely love King Street. It’s beautiful. And the waterfront is great. You need to try Sequoia’s….it’s right on the water in DC.

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 8:21 am

That Starbucks is one of my favorites. It floods like crazy anytime we get rain. Next time you’re there, look for the canoe picture. I think it’s from Hurricane Isabel in 2003 — people canoed to Starbucks. Their canoe was about level with the sign so it makes for an awesome photo!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather     at 8:42 am

Good luck at yoga, I bet it’ll be a blasty! Love your sunglasses ;)

MaryBe     at 8:44 am

Loved the photos. So beautiful! I can see why you moved there

Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)     at 9:18 am

You live in an amazing place. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Michelle     at 1:16 pm

I simply adore that jacket you are wearing!! Where is it from?!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It’s from the Gap like 7 years ago, haha.

Natalie @ simply fit. simply clean.     at 9:33 pm

I just discovered a historic Starbucks in Annapolis. So beautiful.

Good luck at yoga! You’ll have a wonderful time. Seems like you’re settling in to your new digs quite well.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 2:47 pm