For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

A Good Egg.

There is something unusual lurking in my kitchen this week.  Something that hasn’t been there for months and months.

Casey and I have been toying with the idea of reintroducing eggs into our diet for a while now.  I have never made a strict switch to being vegan – instead it has just been sort of a natural transition that I eat that way 95% of the time.

Eating meat is something I feel pretty strongly about (not gonna do it), but dairy has always been kind of a squiggly grey area.  I have no intention of opening up a debate about why we should or shouldn’t be vegan (or vegetarian), since I believe that everyone has the right to choose what they eat.

My personal opinion is that animals like cows and chickens are supposed to produce milk and eggs – that is the job that nature has given them.  But as has happened with so many things, factory farms and big business have exploited these poor animals, and transformed them from peaceful workers to tortured machines.

I went through a long learning phase, reading books and articles, and trying to understand our food industry as best as possible.  During that phase I avoided all dairy and eggs, just to be safe.  But ultimately I decided that if I felt I could find a good source for eggs and dairy, I would consider bringing them back into our kitchen

In talking to the local farmer at our market, and learning all about his chickens and their environment, I felt good knowing that my eggs came from happy birds that are simply doing their jobs.

Back in earlier days, cheese and eggs were something to be celebrated.  A rare treat that brought families together to the table.  And so in my kitchen, I will treat them as something special, because they are.  Something someone worked hard to create, and to be savored in small portions and for special meals.

And if this wasn’t a special meal to celebrate finding a wonderful local egg farm, then I don’t know what is…

Two fried eggs on top of sliced wheat bread, smeared with creamy caramelized onion hummus and resting on a bed of spinach.

Sprinkled with a little sea salt and some freshly ground pepper – makes all the difference in the world.

Just when I thought this sandwich couldn’t get any better, I put the other slice of bread on top and watched the dippy yolk run out the sides…

Pure eggalicious heaven.

I’m still not going
to eat eggs out in restaurants or outside of my house, since I want to be sure I feel comfortable with the source.  Maybe someday our food industry will be regulated and accountable enough to provide food that makes me feel safe and good about what I’m eating.  For now, I’ll settle for simply having a carton or two in my kitchen.

Renee     at 11:15 pm

Emily…if you really want yummy goodness…try toasting the bread next time and use some vegetmite instead of the hummus. It makes a really good sandwich.

Ida     at 2:07 am

I really want my own chickens some day. Local eggs from happy chickens are the best!

maya @ finding balance in tokyo     at 3:52 am

I love eggs! They are one of my main sources of protein.

I’ve actually gone back and forth on how I feel about them in the past, but since moving to Tokyo I’ve become a hard-core egg lover. Even the supermarket eggs here are SO much fresher and tastier those back home, and the organic free-range/farm eggs I splurge on are just amazing.

To emphasize the point, there is almost NO talk of salmonella here when it comes to eggs, and the consumption of raw or half-cooked eggs is not only common and accepted, a much-loved and encouraged practice.

Casey     at 6:06 am

What does this farm do with the male chicks?

Gabrielle Reply:

Excellent point, Casey, but keep in mind that hens can be kept without roosters present and produce unfertilized eggs as long as they are alive. If the farmer starts with hens only, no males to discard. Small production would mean a small amount of eggs, sold at a high cost to only a few, unlike the factory farming industry which churns out massive volume for very low prices. This would be quality versus quantity.

Kristy     at 8:35 am

This a really heart felt post about eggs?!? I love it ;-)

Dynamics     at 11:47 am

I really want to raise two small chickens, but the chicken coop price cannot justify this. Can you imagine. Eating eggs fresh from the chicken would be heaven. I am sure they would love living with me and providing eggs for their upkeep. Someday I hope the price of chicken coops comes down so people can raise 2-3 chickens in their backyards.

Kim     at 7:44 pm

It breaks my heart how some animals are treated in this world… :(
I buy free range eggs, would never ever pick up a carton of cage eggs. I really wish there were more people out there who care about more than just the price of eggs and meat, and make a stand to how animals are treated!!
Your sandwich looked amaaaazing! Might have to make it this weekend :)

Gabrielle     at 10:10 pm

I’ve been conflicted about eating eggs since I went vegan two and half years ago, but what I’ve come to realize is it’s not really the hen’s job to provide eggs for humans, they lay eggs just as women ovulate, because it’s a part of procreative life. And cows produce milk to feed their young, just as other mammals do. So… taking the milk from the cow means her calf does not get that milk. And taking the egg from the hen means we’re taking her potential for young.

Of course it’s a personal choice, but I found it a little odd your wording that it’s their job, i.e. to produce this “product”, for our consumption. Really that’s not their job at all.

That said, your eggs look great. I spent most of my life eating them and I know how good they taste. Doesn’t mean I will ever eat another one, no matter the life of then hen who produced it, but that’s my choice. I respect yours.

Maryann     at 11:02 am

I agree with your post it is a personal decision.
And everyone is entitled to choose the food choices they prefer. Thank God for freedom.
I eat eggs at times but not a lot but I had 2 yesterday on Ezekiel bread. Watching cholesterol is important to myself and my husband. We are fortunate we have a lot of farmers in our area to choose from.
Blessings,
Lancaster Co PA Gal

Ashley     at 8:34 pm

This sandwich looks absolutely divine! You cooked the egg perfectly! Mine always comes out a little burnt. :(

Kayla     at 5:08 pm

Hello!
I live on a farm up in Alberta, Canada. My husband and I raise chickens for our own enjoyment and for the eggs. We raise heritage breeds – the breeds that are struggling to exist in this world of factory farming.
I love keeping chickens. They are so easy to care for, and give us endless enjoyment. We often will allow a hen to sit on her eggs, and have developed quite a motley crew of chicks as a result.
But more often than not we eat our eggs. It is wonderful to know that our chickens are happy and healthy, never stressed, never overcrowded. Our number one priority is maintaining a healthy environment for them.
It is also wonderful to be able to provide eggs to my family and coworkers. So many of them were raised on farm fresh eggs, and are so pleased to be able to enjoy them again after many years of having to eat eggs from the grocery store.
I’m glad to see that you are enjoying eggs again. It really causes the hen no stress as long as the chickens themselves are well cared for.
Cheers!

Krissy     at 5:37 pm

I enjoyed this blog post and really benefitted from the many comments that your blog readers posted. Keep up the thought-provoking topics! =)

Rob R.     at 1:24 pm

There are many comments here where people write that everyone should be able to choose what they eat. By that reasoning I guess pedophiles should be allowed to have sex with whomever they want. You folks are forgetting a simple fact if you choose to eat milk dairy or eggs you are responsible for unnecessary suffering no matter what kind of fairy tales the farmer tells you. It is a nice fantasy but exploitation is exploitation it is never nice, kind of like kind slave owners. Somethings are just bad no matter how you rationalize them.

Caitlin     at 3:22 pm

Just started reading your blog and I really enjoyed this post. I’m a pescatarian and feel the same way about eating eggs and dairy. I check the labels of the food I buy to find out more about the sources from which they came and stick with brands I feel I can depend on. The downside is that the products I trust tend to be more expensive, which is frustrating for a college student and many others. However, until the food industry as a whole becomes more responsible in farming practices, I guess I’ll have to pay more for quality products and the well-being of animals. It’s so important for people to know where their food is coming from and how it got to their plates. Thanks for sharing your personal insight on the matter.

Welcome Catlin! Sounds like we have very similar feelings on dairy and eggs. :)

kim     at 1:37 pm

ooo! Looks yummy.

I hope those are Millingwood Organic eggs! We have some friends that live in the Seattle area and they sell certified organic eggs at the local seattle farmers market. They are the nicest people! They sell lots of organic stuff! Even if they aren’t their eggs, just a little shout out to them. They have the best greens/lettuce too. ;)

Amateur Mommy     at 11:46 am

We are looking for a source for eggs locally. You’d think it’d be easy in a rural area, but unfortunately, no. I would eat them if I knew the chickens were treated right. In terms of dairy, I feel more opposed to it since I have breastfed my daughter. It kind of seems unnatural to drink/eat something that’s supposed to be for a newborn cow. It stinks that cheese is so tasty!

Averol     at 11:10 pm

I completely understand what you’re saying- eating eggs and dairy from a certifiably humane source every once in awhile is completely different from having an omelet with mass-produced eggs every day. I’m glad you’re taking the path that works best for you!

running shoes