Bon Voyage.

My final afternoon in San Francisco was definitely my favorite.  I used to be a frantic vacationer, always feeling like I needed to race around and do as much as possible.  Nowadays, I’ve been trying to concentrate on slowing down a bit – appreciating the experiences for what they are, instead of rushing through them.

Initially, I had planned to spend my afternoon at Alcatraz.  But in looking at the ticket times, knowing what time I needed to depart for the airport, and considering transportation – I realized that I was going to spend the whole time feeling rushed and worried about getting back in time.  So I ignored the little voice that wanted to race all day, and chose to just appreciate one last beautiful afternoon in the Bay Area.

It started with a waterside breakfast, followed by a goodbye hug with Teri, and a day of exploring with Ashley.  And then there were vegan donuts…

Oh my donut – these were off the charts.  At the Taste Pavilion on Saturday, I had tried a soup that rocked my world – apparently made from a variety of mushrooms called Candy Cap, that taste like maple syrup when cooked.  The minute I saw the Candy Cap donut, I knew it had to be mine.

Apparently I was channeling my inner country music singer?  Not sure why my hair was so big…

The mushroom donut was everything I hoped it would be.  All the earthiness of mushrooms, with maple syrup sweetness.  Mmmmmm.

After killing a little time around the Ferry Building, it was finally time to board ours!

We said goodbye to the Port of San Francisco…

And headed across the water, to the little town of Sausalito.

There could not have been a more perfect day, or a more beautiful sky to sail under.

Proof that the pictures and skies are real, and not just an exaggerated memory.  I was really there!

After 30 minutes at sea, we approached our destination across the Bay.

Sausalito was everything I heard it would be – quaint, quiet, beautiful, and charming.  The houses made me want to call Casey, tell him to pack the rice cooker and the dogs, and start heading west.

We walked past a few restaurants and checked out menus that didn’t feel very exciting or special.  We actually found our delicious lunch in the hands of a few strangers sitting on the rock wall by the water.  As we passed, we both gushed, “Did you see those sandwiches?”  So we awkwardly approached and asked the nice group if they could point us in the direction of a few sandwiches of our own.  And boy did we find them.

Crusty sourdough (the best yet!), loaded with sauteed spinach, onions, peppers, and squash, and stringy Swiss cheese melting through every bite.

Enjoyed on a stone bench about 5 feet from the water’s edge.

Absolute perfection.

And before our ferry headed back, a short walk around the marina to discover a little more about Sausalito.

In just one short weekend, I learned so much from Ashley about taking better photos.  I felt lucky to see the master at work.

And even though we kept it slow and I never felt rushed, our time to return came way too soon.

Back across the Bay…

And back towards San Francisco!

But not without a quick trip past Alcatraz.

I have a major fascination with prisons, but that is a story for another day.

I was amazed at the sheer size of this facility, and am definitely adding it to my list of things to do when I return.

Back at the Ferry Building, our adventures ended.  We grabbed our luggage, commuted to the airport, gave teary goodbyes, and then took hellish red-eye flights back East.

But the overnight flight was worth it for a fabulous and relaxing day spent enjoying the sunshine in Sausalito.

Bon voyage, San Francisco!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 7:48 pm

Wow, that Candy Cap doughnut sounds so interesting! Not sure it would be my cup of tea, but I’m willing to try anything once!

Looks like you had a great time! But it’s always nice to come home!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini     at 7:51 pm

Sausalito is amazing. I visited San Fran a few years ago and enjoyed lunch in Sausalito. It’s so quaint & charming–so different than the city.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I know, hard to believe they are so close to each other!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:55 pm

What a lovely day! I wish to go to Sausalito someday. It looks absolutely incredible!

Kelly     at 7:55 pm

Your pictures are incredible! Welcome back to the east coast though!

lindsay     at 7:56 pm

Great photos!!!

Nienke at Revel     at 8:04 pm

Sausalito really is a little slice of heaven!

So glad you ladies had a great, slow, yummy, sunny afternoon :) And save one of those sammies for me next time!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You are coming WITH us next time!

Meghan     at 8:05 pm

I love this post! Your photos are gorgeous. “Oh my donut!” :)

A Better Me     at 8:12 pm

That coconut doughnut looks amazing! Mmmmmmm! It sure was a gorgeous day! Love the pics!!

Heather     at 8:18 pm

so beautiful!! Glad you had a good last day!

Devon     at 8:22 pm

I lived in Sausalito (now I live in the city) and really loved it. It was super close to the huge network of Headlands trails, had some hidden gems for food (like the best sushi in all the bay area and a great coffee shop in Cibo) and is quiet and charming away from the touristy part. Glad you had a good visit to the bay!

Lauren     at 8:25 pm

San Fran is so beautiful. I’ve been a few times, and Alcatraz is a really cool place to visit. I want to move there after I graduate, and your pictures reallllyy make me want to move there now!

bein good to me     at 8:26 pm

Do you remember the name of the sandwich shop? We’ve only been to Sausalito once but it’s on our list of places to go back to and that sandwich looks killer.
Thank you!
-Lisa

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Sausalito Bakery and Cafe on Bridgeway!

Marci     at 8:26 pm

That sounds like such a fun day full of pretty scenery and fun people! And you always take beautiful pictures too. Sad to say bye to vacation and back to real life.

tina     at 8:29 pm

you totally have to take another trip back to alcatraz… esp if you are intrigued by prisons!!!! there is SO much history- the stories they tell you are absolutely fascinating! i’ve been there a few times, and learned something new each time- and of course, the boat ride over isn’t too bad either ;)

i wish i would have known you guys were ferry-ing over… my favorite restaurant (more for the view, then the food)- is in a town nearby- sam’s of tiburon… its SO fun, especially on a sunny day!!! you would have loved it- right on the water, and lots of doggies!!!!

where did you guys find the vegan donuts?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ahhh I’ll have to go back then. :) Vegan donuts were at the Ferry Building and made by Pepples. They were insanely good.

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils     at 8:31 pm

Probably good you didn’t try to do alcatraz – it takes hours and is a LOT of walking on concrete and actually around the hills of the mountain. I’m sure you’d love it so do it next time when your leg is better.

Would love to know the sandwich shop you went to. The restaurants always disappoint me to the point I have to go back to the city to eat.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It was Sausalito Bakery and Cafe, on Bridgeway by the water! Such a a cute little spot.

grocery goddess jen     at 8:34 pm

I’ve never been to Sausalito! That looks like a wonderful last day, and I’m drooling over those donuts!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 8:40 pm

What a wonderful end to a wonderful trip!

Miranda     at 9:04 pm

Love the pictures, what a wonderful ending to a great trip! How did your knee hold up?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Walking around actually helped loosen up my knee a lot – getting better every day!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 9:05 pm

Emily, you haven’t even seen big hair! You are pretty as ever. Your San Fran pictures really make me wish I could have been there and/or make me wanna take a vacation pronto!

Ashley     at 9:13 pm

Ohhhh my!!!! I haven’t even edited let alone gone through all of the photos from our little trip. Loved how you recapped it and love that I was a part of it! I’m the same way with cramming things in to trips but this was just perfect. SO impressed by your photos and I am no master!! haha :)

Lee     at 9:14 pm

Everything looks so beautiful. I’m glad you had such a nice time.

Not sure how I feel about a mushroom donut! You are more adventurous than I am!

Rebecca     at 9:18 pm

Your pictures look beautiful. I have never heard of a mushroom donut before, very interesting.

Mary     at 9:23 pm

Do you remember the name of the sandwich place in Sausalito? I’m going to San Fran with my by in December and we’re spending a night in Sausalito… those sandwiches look unreal! … love the pictures, looks like an amazing trip!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

It was on Bridgeway by the water, called Sausalito Bakery and Cafe. Really small little place, with delicious food inside.

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks     at 9:27 pm

Pepples Donuts really do rock.

I think I’ve had the Vanilla Cake, one of the chocolate ones and then I tried the Cinnamon Sugar flavor when I stopped by with Stepfanie on Sunday. I actually had been eyeing the Candy Cap one…but I didn’t know what it was and got too shy to ask the attendant.

I always try to walk past them and not splurge when I wind up at the Ferry Building, but I almost always give in…

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

So jealous that you live there and can eat mushroom donuts whenever you please. :)

Emily     at 9:27 pm

Awesome pictures Emily…what a beautiful day. So incredibly jealous of vegan donuts. I love mushrooms but the idea of a mushroom donut is mind-blowing…crazzzy!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 9:31 pm

Wow…I REALLY wish I could have stayed the day!
Those donuts look so good…but a mushroom one?? I never would have believed it if you hadn’t pointed me in the direction of the crazy delicious mushroom soup at the tasting pavillion! :)

The trip to Sausalito looks like it was soooo much fun! Gorgeous pictures too!

Charlie     at 9:33 pm

I want that donut! It sounds delicious :).

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 9:59 pm

San Francisco sourdough is the BEST! That is the most delicious looking sandwich! Yummmm :)

Lauren     at 10:09 pm

Isn’t Sausalito cute? I was there over the summer when we biked over the bridge and had lunch there. I wish I had known about that sandwiches, though!! Biking really makes a girl hungry!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I would have loved to have rented bikes if my leg was a bit more cooperative. Sounds like so much fun!

Dee     at 10:10 pm

WOW. That donut and sandwich looks amazing!

Umm, b/w yours and Kath’s posts I’m dying to go to the west coast and visit all of these places! ;)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:11 pm

Relaxing and beautiful views are my favorite parts of traveling!! I think I know of Sausalito from the movie Life as a House. Jealous that you got to soak it all up today!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh fun – now I want to see that movie.

Amy     at 10:40 pm

I love this post! My husband and I honeymooned in San Francisco but we didn’t make it to Sausalito. Now I wish we had!

We did go to Alcatraz, however – that is definitely worth a visit. Make sure you go the next time you’re out there, it is so cool.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 11:14 pm

That picture of the sandwich with the bay in the background is gorgeous! All of your pictures are gorgeous!

I want to go to San Fran so badly after seeing all of these pictures on blogs.

Thank you so much!

Anne     at 11:29 pm

I second (third?) the request for where you found the donuts and the sandwiches.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The donuts were from Pepples Donuts in the Ferry Building, and the sandwiches were from Sausalito Bakery & Cafe (on Bridgeway by the water)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 11:40 pm

I would so love to try that donut! And the caramel one in front of it and definitely the blueberry behind it! :)

Amber     at 12:04 am

I have really enjoyed your posts from San Fransisco – particularly your photographs! You have quite an eye for pictures and you create such beautiful compositions. Where did you learn to photograph? I’m a budding (wannabe) amateur photographer and would love tips!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks Amber! Honestly, I’ve just learned a lot through practice and by talking to friends. Check out Ashley’s blog – http://edibleperspective.com for more great photo info – she has taught me a lot!

Mama Pea     at 1:44 am

I already heard Ashley’s recap via phone, but I still enjoyed reading every little bit of this…even with yo’ big hair! :) If only I had gotten in on that vegan donut action…

Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)     at 8:05 am

Beautiful pictures! It’s a shame that I’ve never been to San Fran. It is now on my list after all of these gorgeous pictures and stories on blogs I’ve been reading.

Cailin @ Stir Crazy     at 8:26 am

I did a tour of Alcatraz at night… it was rainy, cold and windy. Just as creepy as you might imagine with that weather!

Sausalito was one of my favorite little spots on my trip there years ago. These photos (and that sandwich!) make me want to return!

That sounds awesome. :)

Kristy     at 8:47 am

Those donuts looks redick! And I’ve enjoyed the photos sooooo much! It is beautiful in Cali!

Hope     at 9:13 am

Beautiful pictures! It looks like a great place to visit! Those donuts look amazing!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 9:15 am

I stopped at that booth when I was at the market on Saturday and almost bought a donut, but decided to save my money. I’ve heard several people rave about them though, so apparently I should have gone for it. At least I have an excuse to go back :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

You MUST go back! The donuts alone are worth it.

Emily @ For Sweets Sake     at 9:28 am

mmmm donuts! Hope you have a safe trip back! :)

Natalia - a side of simple     at 11:25 am

Those donuts, that sandwich… I think I need to go to SF just for them!

Amber K     at 11:41 am

The donuts look amazing! But mushrooms? ewww ;)

Lindsey @ Eat, Read, Run     at 12:26 pm

Frantic vacationer – that is me precisely. I need to take a lesson from you and relax and go with the flow a bit more on my vacations. I’m a super planner.

Maryann     at 12:58 pm

Emily,
What an experience you’ve had.
And San Fran is soooo beautiful. My nephew lives in CA and we’ll get there sometime.
Glad you coming home we missed you in the East.
Hugs to you and Casey.
Lancaster Co PA Gal

Gina     at 1:29 pm

I agree on trying to be present and enjoy the moment instead of trying to pack everything in…it’s something I am working on as well. Especially when in SF…there is so much to do and see that it can be overwhelming!

So glad you had time to visit Sausalito, especially with such nice weather! My boyfriend’s dad lives there…in the hills overlooking the marina and it’s absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE visiting…they used to let us house-sit when we lived in the East Bay:) We are going there for Thanksgiving and I can’t wait. I hope to take the ferry one day and just wander around and play with my photography skills:) We like this place down on the marina called “Fish”…they only serve sustainable sources of seafood and it’s always cooked to perfection. However, I may have to try the bakery one afternoon, those sandwiches look delish!

Becca     at 2:28 pm

ummmm I TOTALLY have a fascination with prisons too! (I’ve never heard anyone else say that before!)

and it seems that your leg was doing a lot better, that’s great!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh man, we need to TALK! :) My poor husband has to sit through all the Lockdown episodes on National Geographic, and all the other random prison shows.

Becca Reply:

okay, I have to tell you, in college, there was a prison that I’d pass every time I’d make the drive home to Dallas. I would literally slow down so I could see if they (meaning the prisoners) were outside in the yard! I know, I’m making myself out to be a crazy person!

Oh, and the prison shows? yeah…been there, watched them!

Your pics of San Fran were awesome, it made me want to go so bad! Plus, seeing Alcatrez? How cool!!

I’m glad to know there is someone else out there like me! haha

Matthew     at 10:25 pm

Those vegan donuts look amazing. I could almost cry…