Dog Days.

Last week’s post about my chewed up Vitamix prompted a lot of comments about various things our dogs (and other pets) have destroyed.  It got me thinking about all of the many, MANY things that have ended up in the bellies of these two (thankfully invincible) dogs.

IMG_1931 (640x472)

Where do I even begin…?

In younger puppy days, they have BOTH individually eaten two different couches.  Yes, entire couches – destroyed.

When Huey was still a pup, he managed to rip up and eat a stairwell of Berber carpet which then kinked itself around all of his internal organs.  Thousands and thousands of dollars and two surgeries later (see the scar?), he miraculously came back from a 10% chance of survival.

Last year they got new beds on Christmas day.  Less than 12 hours later I discovered a room full of fluff, and scraps of lambs wool bedding.  The days are numbered on their current beds…

Sooooooo many countless shoes, and only a few remain to actually photograph.  The rest are long gone in a landfill.

Some things have not been so easy to replace…

And other things have been very expensive…

(For the record he has actually eaten TWO cameras!)

And then there are the things that should be worn through use and love, but not doggie chew marks.

I bought this rug last week.  Sometimes I think that they are actually laughing at me.

But other times have not been so funny.  Like the time that Huey ate an entire tub of cocoa powder and had to spend the night at the emergency vet.

Or last fall when both dogs nearly died of simultaneous salmonella poisoning from the turtles in our backyard.

And it’s times like those that always remind me that despite the chewed up shoes and cameras, and the fact that they are probably the world’s most expensive dogs…

Our home would feel so empty without them.

What are your craziest pet stories?

Melissa     at 2:46 pm

Awww, pups get into things! My dog eats EVERYTHING and I owe my roommate many of her shoes! However, the FUNNIEST thing my dogs ever eaten is dog treats for traveling which sedate the dog. He ate an entire box of them I had just purchased. I came home from a movie and he was just stoned out of his mind. After a hugely frantic phone call w/an emergency vet, it was established that he’d be fine and just needed to sleep it off. I spent the rest of the evening watching him slink and roll off my bed and messing with him while he slept! Awesome.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh gosh I would have been frantic too – scary! Glad he was okay. :)

Becca     at 2:46 pm

Oh my goodness, this was a great post! I loved the pics of the dogs tying into the things they ate….too funny.

Funny story, I hate dog slobber, so I taught my old dog Molly to wipe her mouth when she was done eating. It became such a habit that she did it without anyone telling her to! She would eat, then go into her bed and gently wipe each side of her mouth! Some days she went crazy and rolled around while doing it, but it was always so cute to watch :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I wish ours would catch on that quickly!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 2:47 pm

SO precious!! How could you stay mad at those faces?! They probably are the world’s (cutest!) most expensive dogs :)… I’m so grateful that Koda isn’t a chewer!

Emily     at 2:53 pm

Hi Emily! I’m curious what kind of dogs these two rascals are. Mainly because Huey looks exactly like my little (big!) lab-weimaraner mix. My personal reason for the memory loss over too many pairs of ruined underwear? Those EARS…I can’t get enough!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Huey is a pure bred German Shorthaired Pointer – very similar to Weimeraners. Indy is a GSP/yellow lab mix, and he is TROUBLE. I have never felt anything softer than Huey’s ears. :)

kristin Reply:

Does Huey Shed a lot???

Nope, not much at all.

Michelle     at 2:53 pm

This made me tear up! My pup is a chewer too! But my life wouldn’t be as wonderful without her!

Also, target moccasins? I have the same ones. So comfy and everyone thinks they’re the 100 dollar ugg ones!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yep, Target! I just found a great replacement pair at Old Navy for $18. Look EXACTLY like the Uggs! :)

Brie @ Brie Fit     at 2:54 pm

So cute!

We are lucky our dog isn’t a chewer. He is so weird–he picks up random shoes and moves them around the house…but doesn’t chew them. But we can never find a pair of shoes when we need to.

lindsay Reply:

My dog does this too, but only to my slippers and flip flops! Luckily Lottie does not chew. Her funniest characteristic is probably her fear of the dark and the fact that she barks at anything/everything at nighttime.

lindsay Reply:

Just remembered this chewing story though – I was dogsitting and the owner left a folder with the dog’s vet records on the kitchen counter, nice and organized. The dog totally chewed the entire folder and ripped the records to shreds! There was paper everywhere and the dog’s paper records were gone forever…dogs are so crazy! But lovable :)

OMG, hahahaa. :)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 2:56 pm

Wow and people think kittens are bad about destroying people’s stuff! But I totally agree–when it comes to our pets, we forgive very easily :)

And your dogs do have the cutest faces–I could never stay mad at them!

kelly     at 2:57 pm

Wow, what destroyers!! They are lucky to have such caring owners :)

Kelly     at 3:00 pm

Wow they get into a lot don’t they?! How did they get salmonella from turtles?! Still too stinkin cute tho.

Jessica Sinclair Reply:

turtles and alot of lizards carry salmonella on their skin…my guess would be they were licking the turtles….

Jackie     at 3:02 pm

Just amazing! Such gorgeous dogs! Once my dog, a lab, ate a whole pack of HOT hot dogs and a tray of brownies. Not too fun. He also ate a bowl of halloween candy, excluding the wrappers!

Amy Richards     at 3:02 pm

Two words: pet insurance. We bought some for our lab/greyhound mix recently after he ate half a bag of cat food. It’s about $20 a month has a $200 deductible, but it’s worth it for the peace of mind! I feel your pain/love!

Janetha G - meals & moves     at 3:03 pm

I love this post. And I have lost a LOT of things to my pup’s teeth. That’s OK :)

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 3:04 pm

Is it bad that this post made me smile because it reminded me of my boyfriend’s family dog? She electrocuted herself by chewing through a laptop charger cord. She now growls at the guys who were there when she did it as if they were the reason she was shocked. Thankfully she is ok! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel     at 3:06 pm

This post made me smile. It is quite obvious that you love them both so much!

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 3:10 pm

Our dog Peanut has allergies just as bad as me. She is allergic to outside and cats. We took her to my mom’s for vacation and she was itchy and whining the entire time. She ended up in crying in the closet. She’s also the dog who jumped off the bed on Easter and had to be rushed to the vet ER (we are pastors so this was interesting.)

Ginna     at 3:13 pm

Chloe ate plenty in her puppy days! Mostly my stuff of course – ipod ear plugs, bluetooth, shoes,the corner of our persian rug :/ etc. She still loves kleenex and for some reason has started eating chapstick! Thank god she hasn’t gotten sick from that!

Have you guys thought of taking them to a trainer? I know we have a guy in our area who says he can train dogs and break bad habits. Do you think the chewing is acting out because of lack of exercise?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

They just weren’t trained properly as puppies – we were much lazier back then. They definitely get plenty of exercise – walked 3 to 4 times a day, plus time in the yard! I think it has a lot to do with the breed – VERY high energy. And very stubborn. God love them.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:13 pm

Oh goodness! I can’t believe the camera! Those are some strong chompers.

My dog doesn’t really chew on things. Then again, she doesn’t do much of anything. She is super lazy.

Kayla     at 3:14 pm

I think the most expensive thing our lab ate was a pair of my glasses – brand new! Since I was visiting my inlaws I had to have my little sister in law drive me back into town to get some emergency contacts from my eye doctor. Just a little stressful!

Heather     at 3:15 pm

OMG I cannot believe all the things they have eaten.. CAMERAS?! I have little bitty dogs so they can’t chew on big things. We gave them rawhides since they were puppies and have never had chewing issues. DO your dogs have a toy or rawhide/bone to chew on?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Indy gets really territorial about toys, so that causes problems too. :(

Jenny     at 3:22 pm

I adopted my sweet boy, Johnny about 2.5 years ago. After paying for all of the adoption fees and new puppy accessories (food bowl, water bowl, leash, collar, toys, food, crate, etc.) I bring him and his friend, Monkey, home. Johnny and Monkey stay in their crates for the first few days in our new home, while my roommate and I are at work. The first day we let them roam free, I get home, and there is a gallon of mess on the floor. Johnny had Giardia and basically ruined our apartment’s carpet. It wasn’t his fault of course, but after spending all of that money, I then had to take him to the vet for tests and treatment. He also had an eye infection and we thought he had mange. (There’s a reason I adopted him. He really needed a loving home.)

Since then, he has really only had a taste for pens. He likes to eat pens, and I don’t know, I guess watch the ink bleed all over whatever he’s chewing on, be it the rug, a shirt, the couch. What ever. Lovely way to say thank you. :)

Abby     at 3:24 pm

wow. just wow. I now feel bad for scolding my dog for chewing pieces of paper from the trash. He’s really not a chewer..thank goodness!!

manda     at 3:24 pm

chewed possessions? let me count the ways: socks and tissue are unnumberable. i once found him eating my apple on my bed (he stole it from the coffee table!). funniest was when one of our dogs poo’d out a long coil of underwear! that’s it, just some undies. worst, when she chewed and destroyed the only copy of my sister in laws wedding tape (taped by my boyfriend only days previous). that was a hard day for all involved.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh wow – that’s really bad.

Lauren     at 3:26 pm

My neighbors at home have chickens, and my dog brought a LIVE chicken home in her mouth last week. She dropped it on the floor and looked up at my parents hoping to be congratulated with a treat. I guess she was trying to bring dinner home to my parents!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh my! I wouldn’t know WHAT to do!

kerr carter     at 3:29 pm

They are too cute for words!! Those faces just melt your heart.
The dogs my family had when I was growing up loved to chew up their beds. My mom kept buying new beds until one day she finally snapped and made them sleep on their chewed up beds for a few weeks. They never chewed up a bed again. Probably wont work for YOUR stuff they chew but maybe the beds?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

After the bed incident in Charlotte, we started putting blankets in laundry baskets, which it turned out they LOVED. They looked so goofy curled up in the baskets, but they never chewed them. Now they get locked in the kitchen when we’re gone, so they have beds again because I don’t want laundry baskets all over my kitchen!

Brittney     at 3:33 pm

They are such a handful! I just read “cocoa-gate” and remember the turtle incident. I’m lucky Clyde isn’t very destructive. He’s actually chewed through a couple pairs of my underwear (fetish much??) and likes tights/pantyhose, but other than that he pretty much sticks to his toys. When he was a couple months old he was a master of escape and we used to joke that we should have named him Houdini. He could climb out the top of his crate and scaled a pet fence once! He’s pretty well behaved all in all and I can’t imagine life without him anymore!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I like to call Huey HUE-dini too. :) That dog can escape from anything.

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista)     at 3:33 pm

The things we go through for our pets…I have a little Pomeranian(my parent’s are now stuck with him) and my parents are going to have to replace all the carpeting throughout the house due to his chewing and “accidents”

Rachel     at 3:35 pm

Invest in crates. Seriously. For your stuff’s sake and for their health. I had to for our lab that loves to chew.

PS. I had those slippers too! Then Hershey ate them….. She is now crated or at daycare when we arent home.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We used to have crates. Honestly Huey doesnt chew anymore, its just Indy. And he doesn’t handle the crate well at ALL – pees and poops all over the place, and barks like a maniac. We lock him in the kitchen when we’re not home, which helps.

Chrissy (The New Me)     at 3:39 pm

One of the (many) reasons I love your blog is because of your two big dogs. Double big dog love over here! My older boy was never much of a chewer and we had such an easy time with him from day one. The puppy we got over the summer? I think he might be the next Indy! He loves to chew anything and everything. If the house is quiet and calm, it is a sure sign that Calvin is getting into something and I have to get up and go look for him. He’s usually in a corner with the rug, or a sock, or a shoe. So far he hasnt’ ruined anything too expensive, but he’s still very young. There’s time! ;)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha YES – if I don’t know where Indy is, I immediately start looking for him. Usually find him digging in the trash or eating a sock. :)

Erica     at 3:44 pm

OH wow I should seriously stop complaining, my pup has only destroyed about 100 ink pens (she does end up getting red, green and blue ink all over the house … and yes, our couch). One time our dog (a lab/pit bull mix) ate the leftover bones from a rotisserie chicken – she was so sick and we thought she perforated her bowels on the bones! That was scary and cost a lot to diagnose. Your pups seem very mischevious but sweet!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 3:44 pm

They sure are cute for being so destructive! My cat Liam has stolen and entire stick of butter off the counter and dug in while growling and holding it with all 4 paws. He has also done this with an entire uncooked log of cheese cracker batter! Lucas is “the good boy” but he has puked on every available surface of our apartment at one time or another.

Erin     at 3:45 pm

My cat, Lexi, will eat anything. She especially loves plastic and shredded paper. We’ve found her gnawing on the couch and eating the stuffing out of furniture and stuffed animals.

My childhood dog once ate an entire Easter bunny including foil wrapping and plastic skateboard. That was an emergency visit!

Jes     at 3:48 pm

Growing up at my mom’s house we used to have a dog that loved people food. One day we came home from school to find an entire bag of the small reese peanut butter cups (the mini ones) gone. and all the paper and foil wrappers sitting by the bag on the floor. She was fine, but it was so funny finding all them unwrapped.

Mellissa     at 3:49 pm

Clifford has eaten many magazines, camera cords, chapsticks, zippers and buttons. We can not leave anything with buttons or zippers out or he eats it. He ate my husbands favorite pair of jeans because he saw that shiny zipper.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha who would want to eat a zipper? Although i guess I don’t want to eat a camera either…

sarah     at 3:54 pm

oh my god, I love the pictures of the damages done, interspersed with looks of utter guilessness. I’m glad (for the sake of our stuff) that we don’t have dogs. is there no way to prevent this? what would the dog whisperer do?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I have read the dog whisperer books – no luck. Honestly, they ARE getting better with age, but they still test my patience here and there.

Megan     at 3:54 pm

I have a story to oppose Jes’s. Growing up, our golden retriever ate a whole bag of Hershey’s Kisses on Christmas. Of course, we freaked out and called the vet, who said to give her hydrogen peroxide and wait and watch her. That stuff was magic. She drank it and a few minutes later, opened her mouth and everything in her stomach just bubbled out – including the completely wrapped Hershey’s Kisses. Dad offered to rinse them off for us (eeew), but we were so lucky she didn’t open them and that we caught her in time.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh man I would have been scared to feed them peroxide. Glad she was okay!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 3:54 pm

Oh my gosh they are so adorable it kills me. I want two puppies!

We have one cat right now and she brings me and my fiance so much joy. We are getting a new kitten as our Christmas present this year (we don’t need gifts… we don’t need more “stuff”) and I can’t wait for her to have some company when we aren’t home.

They will be forced to be best friends ;)

tina     at 3:58 pm

awwww they are so cute! how could you say no to that face? :)

Evan Thomas     at 4:01 pm

My dog was thankfully not much of a hell-raiser. But he would bite me if I tried to pick him up for 10 years. And he would try to climb the stairs and fall down(he’s a very little dog) so after he fell down an entire flight of stairs we kept a baby door at the bottom of the stairs.

Liz     at 4:02 pm

My dog destroys my shoes and my underwear (clean or dirty!). I wish I could stay mad at her but she is too cute. I can see why you can’t stay mad at those faces!

Jillian@ Reshape Your Life     at 4:02 pm

Oh my! I can’t believe how much mischief those boys can get into!

Blue has a strange affection for dry wall… Yup. DRY WALL. As a puppy he started scratching and chewing the wall with his front teeth. He has learned that it is a bad thing, but I still find him sniffing the wall and getting a good lick in once in a while before I can tell him no. He’s my goof-ball and I wouldn’t change him. :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh wow! At least ours aren’t eating the walls!

Jillian@ Reshape Your Life Reply:

Luckily it only happened in two spots… nothing spackle and a little paint couldn’t fix. ;)

Alyson     at 4:03 pm

You are a fantastic pet owner, and my hat is off to you. I was never really tempted, but you have just absolutely, completely talked me out of ever having an indoor pet of any kind. My 7 kids are destructive enough; but even they don’t go through a rug and two sofas in a week! ;) (Nah, I know it wasn’t that exact timeframe…)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha that made me laugh. :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 4:03 pm

oh my goodness! this is great :) my dog growing up, a Weimeraner, once ate a 6×6 inch square of fudge–including the foil it was wrapped in! we called the vet, and they said she’d be fine…and she was! she also ate no less than 3 comforters off my bed and chewed numerous shirts and other articles of clothing… oh how i miss her :( but now i have a precious kitty that i love!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The bedding, ohhhh the bedding. Every set of sheets we own has holes in it. Sigh. :)

Lindsey     at 4:03 pm

Ahh, I miss the boys! Is it sad that if you and Casey want to go on vacation, I will take a vacation to DC to dogsit for you again? Give them snugs for me.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ummm I will definitely take you up on that, and pay for your airfare. But you’d have to promise to stay for a few extra days and hang out with meeeee. :)

Melissa     at 4:10 pm

My dog is little (she’s a Shih Tzu) but when she was a puppy she would take the toilet paper from the holder, drag it around the house (the whole roll!) and rip it up. While it is minimal as far as money, the time to clean up every bit of ripped up toilet paper was outrageous! Now she just licks, EVERYTHING. But life is better with our little furry friends, than without them.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:26 pm

My parents’ dog actually has the stomach of steel. He actually is pretty smart now that I think about it. He has done an entire pound of raw bacon – did it phase him? Not in the least.

Katie @ The Boston Marathoner     at 4:29 pm

I have never heard of dogs eating cameras!! Hilarious post – it’s true, no matter how bad my animals are I still prefer them over having an empty home.

Kelly     at 4:36 pm

LOVE this post! How about the time that my new puppy Sadie ate a large strip of carpet right before my boyfriend and I were going to move out of our apartment. I sewed that strip back together and we never heard a peep from the apartment complex! What you said is true. Despite all of the horific things my dogs do I still love them and my life and house would be so empty without them in it.

Rachel     at 4:36 pm

I love reading other fur parents’ stories – i feel less crazy for the things I’ve put up with.

I have a beagle who has chewed holes in the couch, a couple of holes in the carpet, eats chap stick as if it were going out of style, loves cat poop, deer poop, horse poop, really any animal poop…He once ate a WHOLE Lindt dark chocolate bar. I had to call the emergency vet and learned real quick how to induce vomiting.*

I adopted Opie from the Humane Society and wouldn’t trade him for the world!

*When the emergency vet tells you how to induce vomiting and to wait 5-10 minutes before giving the pooch more peroxide…be prepared because it happened a lot quicker than 5 minutes. I had choco-doggie-mess immediately. Thank heavens for oxy clean.

Regina     at 4:38 pm

Wow! And we thought our mutt was bad. She’s only a year old and the worst she’s done is eat an entire collection of the library’s HARDBACK books ($200+ worth). Thankfully they allowed us to replace them without buying them through the library so ebay and amazon saved us lots of $$$. Last Christmas, she was only 4 months old, she got into all the Christmas stockings and ate all the chocolate candy including a 1lb dark chocolate bar my husband so lovingly bought me. Miraculously, she is the only dog in the world who isn’t allergic to chocolate. She didn’t throw up or have any other ill effects! Crazy right? But blessed. And the last real attack of the mutt that I recall is New Years. We were bad parents and left her alone for the night (about 10 hours) with food and water but “caged” by a toybox into the front entryway of our house. When we returned home she’d eaten a deck of cards and somehow split my husband’s video game in half (how she managed that is beyond us). We deserved that one though.

I can’t imagine if she chewed up as much as your furbabies! I feel a little luckier that she’s only had a few chew attacks in her life and they were all results of us leaving her alone. We now know better and she’s confined in a create when we’re away. But she still does chew up her bed.

Funny story: No matter how much she eats beds, books, etc. when we’re away to “teach us a lesson”, she has this elephant stuffed animal that she stole out of the nursery when she was a puppy. We let her keep it. She sleeps with it all the time and carries it around and after over a year it STILL hasn’t been chewed through or destroyed!! It makes me a smile =)

Maissa     at 4:52 pm

The worst that’s ever happened was when our dog got hit by a car as a puppy. She she survived (though she nearly died from shock/hypothermia) but she’s got no bone in her hip socket (they pulled the muscle into it and she recovered super well because she was so young), and they had to remove a kidney. Fortunately she ended up ok. Expensive, but worth it.

Funny but annoying? She rolls in EVERYTHING, and we love to take her to the beach, where occasionally dead seals wash ashore. Yup, she rolls in them, then we have to bathe her, and she hates bathes, so everything gets SOAKING wet.

We don’t take her to the beach quite as much anymore…

Kristin     at 4:55 pm

Awwwwww! I loved this post! I have a 4 year old, 100lb, yellow lab who rules our home and our hearts! There were times when I thought there was no way she would be a “normal” dog. She occasionally is naughty, like when she chews up my husband’s glasses or finds a random instruction booklet for an alarm clock but mostly she’s our precious baby. Dogs are the best!

A Better Me     at 4:55 pm

I love this post! My life would be so boring without all my crazy babies. Despite it all, they are so worth it! Your babies are adorable. Especially love that last picture :)

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon     at 4:58 pm

My dog, Chester, only eats things if we leave him during the evening– after coming home for work and spending some time with him. He gets angry that we leave and acts out! Once he ate an entire gingerbread house!

Most recently we returned home after going out for dinner and I found my book on the floor with the cover chewed to shreds. What book was it, you ask? Well, it was ironically titled “What to Eat” By Marion Nestle. HA!

Hilarious!

Krista (kristastes)     at 5:00 pm

I feel your pain. My yellow lab swallowed a mini tennis ball whole last week and had to get emergency surgery to retrieve it. She now has a huge matching Huey scar and my bank account is not happy. She also loves books, my coffee table, corners of doorways, and had destroyed 3 dog beds in her 1.5 years of life thus far. However, I would not trade her for the world!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh gosh how SCARY! So glad to hear she is okay!! That sounds like something Huey would do.

Carin     at 5:03 pm

My dog is turning 5 next month, and I am finally — finally! — able to put a nice soft bed in her crate with a fluffy [faux] sheepskin top. There is literally not one thing in my house that doesn’t bear the teeth marks of my dog. She’s a labradoodle, and they say labs stay puppies for a long, long time.

Amanda     at 5:04 pm

Your dogs are so beautiful! Our 6 month old puppy loves to chew the (new) carpet at work…doesn’t go over well with the boss and his wife. Can you believe they offered to pay for half of his training classes? And I came into work and found bags and bags of bones…I think they love him as much as I do!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 5:08 pm

One time our min pin chewed a Raid roach poison thing. In case you are wondering, there is pet poison control, it costs $65, and Raid is not poisonous to dogs in small amounts :)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 5:09 pm

Oh man, when we first moved into this house we were unpacking a box of food and had to leave unexpectedly. When I came home Lucy (though at the time I wasn’t sure if it was her or Rambo) had eaten dried chick peas, pasta, crackers, and a tub of DARK CHOCOLATE COVERED GINGER. We induced vomiting with peroxide on both dogs and all waited it out in the bathroom. Lucy threw up EVERYTHING, and poor Rambo only threw up his dinner. I’ve never seen a dog look at me with such contempt! I was just grateful we were able to save the babies! :)

Poor Rambo!

Therese     at 5:12 pm

I absolutely love this post!! I have a black lab/greyhound mix and she has literally chewed us out of house and home. Couch cushions, comforters, remote controls, PS3 controllers, carpet, rugs, computer cables (luckily not plugged in)…the list goes on and on!

It must be something about labs! Honestly though I couldn’t care less about the stuff. I love that dog more than most people ;-)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Indy has the lab half, and he is definitely the chewer in the family. Huey only really did it as a puppy.

Julie     at 5:16 pm

They look so cute and innocent…who knew what destruction they could do? ;)

Tara     at 5:16 pm

I am currently trying to convince my husband we “need” a dog. I definitely will not be showing him this post ;)

Ang     at 5:19 pm

This shows how old I am but I saved my She-Ra (twin sister to He-Man) dolls from when I was young and gave them to my daughter to play with. She left them in the floor and needless to say She-Ra and her pals did not have the power to defeat Cocoa Bear.

Oddly my dog likes to take food items from the kitchen and put them in his bed…however he does not eat them. Just curls up and sleeps with them. Weirdo.

My sister-in-law has a yellow and a chocolate lab like you do. The chocolate one is a mess. She tore a sink off the wall and dug up the sewer line and ate through it. That was so gross and VERY expensive for them! lol!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I totally had She-Ra! I actually had her castle too. :) I literally laughed out loud at the sink story – that is INSANE.

Sophie     at 5:42 pm

I’ve got a cat, but she definitely does her share of tearing things up too. We pretty much permanently have to keep a blanket on the couch so she won’t scratch through!

Macrae     at 5:44 pm

That last picture of your dogs is precious! Here are two of MANY dog stories…First, I think my dog now has 9 lives. He was hit by a truck racing down my parent’s street, but luckily only has a few scars to show for it. And last 4th of July we had to rush him to the hospital in the middle of the night b/c his stomach had flipped! This was really scarey, we seriously made it there just in time. And the second story is kind of funny. Growing up, my mom had a broxer named Blaze with 3 legs. One afternoon the garbage man came running up the driver sobbing to my Grandmother that he had hit Blaze and nocked off one of his legs!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

The hit by a car thing is my greatest fear. They have escaped many times, and every time I am SO worried because they are not street smart at ALL.

sarahMTSBB     at 5:51 pm

aww! your pups are worse than my hurricane charlie! are you sure that it isn’t anxiety? (although i don’t see what they’d be anxious about since they have a buddy and all but clomipramine, a DAP collar, and a behavorist has helped my boy!)

charlie bent his large dog metal crate (he’s a whole 50 lb) to a hazardous, unusable, pokey metal state and then chewed through a heavy duty extra large rubbermade bin eating all of my baking supplies (flour, pounds of dry, plain oatmeal/wheatberries/whole grain cereal, etc) right after i moved. he loves to eat handles off of tote bags too and stress relief pillows! it’s amazing that he hasn’t had a foreign body. good thng they are so cute, huh?

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

We can’t do crates either because Huey will bust out of the metal ones, and Indy will eat his way out of a plastic one. Luckily they do pretty well locked in the kitchen when we aren’t home. Every now and then they destroy a few things here and there. :)

Lisa     at 5:54 pm

oh my – yes is there anything they wont eat!!! An entire tub of cocoa powder?! CRAZY!!

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides     at 5:59 pm

A post that is so close to my heart! Our Siberian husky has eaten a half-tub of Country Crock (the big one), a couch, several books and magazines, a bubble pack of Claritin, ribbon … oh the list goes on. My favorite was when he scavenged a bottle of green food coloring from our spice cabinet and proceeded to eat that on our area rug. Green paws. Green chest. Green tongue. Green, well, anyway.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha the Claritin would have scared me. Indy ate a giant BEET a few weeks ago. Purple paws, purple dog bed, and bright purple POOP! :)

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides Reply:

Beets? I’m so glad he didn’t get into those this summer! I called the vet on the Claritin but they said he’d either throw up or sleep but he did neither. Stomach of steel that one!

lindsay Reply:

an uncooked/unroasted beet!?!? this is wild! i have fed lottie too many carrots though and turned her poop orange! carrots are her favorite treat :)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Yep, raw – straight out of the vegetable bowl…which is now located on top of the fridge. He is insane. Last week he ate a WHOLE (raw) butternut squash. Gross orange poop full of seeds for days!

MegaNerd     at 6:12 pm

Yikes! that’s a lot of stuff chewed up by your pups!

Makes me scared to get a dog one day… I won’t be able to afford to replace stuff! LOL!

I still want one, tho. :(

Elizabeth     at 6:15 pm

Aren’t dogs the greatest!? Your cocoa powder story reminds of when my dog ate my son’s chocolate birthday cake. I make him the same cake every year (his request). Made with Hershey’s cocoa powder. Last year I made the layers and left them on the counter to cool while I ran an errand. Ok, that was dumb of me, my bad. Got home and saw the cooling racks on the floor with NO cake. Called the vet and she said to give my dog hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up. Yuk. My sweet, compliant dog just drank it down, though it was clearly distasteful to her. But she didn’t throw up. So my husband put her in the car and took her to the vet. Well, the car ride jostled her tummy enough and while driving she hurled chocolate cake (and hydrogen peroxide) all over the back seat of his car. Too funny! Meanwhile, I went to the grocery store to purchase a chocolate cake before my son got home. But when he got home he saw the purchased cake and thought I didn’t love him anymore cause I didn’t make him the traditional birthday cake. My dog tried to eat that cake too — but her attempt was foiled.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ahhhh so horrible! Two years ago (right before the cocoa powder incident – reason I bought the box in the first place) I made my mom a chocolate Kahlua cake and Huey did the exact same thing – ate it off the cooling racks. So I stayed up until midnight making a SECOND cake. Casey got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and accidentally left the door open, and – you guessed it – Huey went downstairs and ate the SECOND cake TOO! It was so horrible. It was from a mix, so it didnt actually have that much chocolate in it, but he looked like he gained 10 pounds in a day. I made a THIRD cake, and didn’t tell my mom the story until after her birthday. :)

Mom Reply:

You forgot to add he also ate all the aluminum foil covering the cakes!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha YES! I think I blocked that part out. Hopefully the final cake was worth it. :)

Ellie Reply:

My dog did this too, on my birthday. He almost never took food off the counter tops but we had just moved into a new house the previous day and he was really agitated. Dogs and chocolate birthday cakes . . .

lindsay Reply:

this comment takes the cake!! pun intended :)

Chase     at 6:24 pm

Oh my gosh they are too cute. Bless their little puppy hearts.

Callie, my 9yo Shiba Inu mix has had way more stories than I could share in this little box, but my favorite is the one day I came home on a sunny summer afternoon. Nobody else was home in our 2 bedroom house. Because of the fact that it was a farm house and didn’t have A/C, it wasn’t unusual for her to be in the upstairs closet where it was dark and cool. She didn’t come greet me at the door, but that’s pretty typical, so I didn’t think anything of it.

I put my bags down, made a snack and sat on the couch. Not a worry at all.

My boyfriend at the time came home, and asked me where she was. I said I didn’t know, I guess she’s just sleeping upstairs. He went up there to look for her but she was nowhere to be found. He called me up to help him look and I started to worry. We started looking in every corner of the house and out of nowhere, we see her little head pop up in the UPSTAIRS bedroom window, from the outside LOOKING IN. Big smile and perked ears like, “Oh hai guys!! This is fuNNNNNNNN!!!”

She had jumped out the bedroom window, and landed on the porch roof… and must have realized it was too high up to jump down. She had to have been out there on the roof for at least 2 hours, baking in the sun! Plus, neither of us saw her up there when coming in the door! I pulled her back in by her armpits and laughed myself silly.

What a goof!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Ahhhh Shiba Inuuuu! I used to watch that pup cam all the time! :) That story is insane.

alison     at 6:28 pm

Oh my goodness, I can’t believe he ate your camera. That’s impressive chomping.
When I was a kid, we had a blonde lab named Samson who ate garbage like it was his job. I used to find all sorts of interesting things when cleaning up his poop. Purex boxes, chicken wrappers…. He was a big, loveable goofball.

Kristina @ spabettie     at 6:31 pm

Jason is a drummer / musician, and prior to mp3, had some VERY expensive CDs of one of his favorite bands… Bolo chewed ALL OF THEM… we have hundreds of cds… he specifically chewed only those. :D

Polymer (a jack russell) used to run off and neighbors BLOCKS away would bring him back.

<3 I love pups.

Alicia at Poise in Parma     at 6:31 pm

When Grady my golden retriever was a super pup (which is what I refer to his 0 to 6 months age), he went all sneaky sneaky on me. He snagged a make up sponge from the bathroom counter. Before I could get to him he had swallowed it. I burst into tears immediately and went in to full blown panic attack mode. My husband had to call my mom to get me to calm down. He put me on the phone and she said, “Alicia Marie, is the dog breathing? Is his tail wagging? Is he alive? THEN HE’S FINE. STOP CRYING.” We found it a few weeks later in the back yard, but don’t worry – I didn’t use it to put on any makeup after that!

Jess     at 6:33 pm

I’m a teacher. 6 years ago, when we got our dog (a Pembroke Welsh corgi), he ate an entire stack of graded math homework and half of the cover of my teacher’s edition. Had to go to school the next day and tell my fifth graders that their teacher’s dog ate their homework…pretty much became school legend at that point!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition     at 6:36 pm

In high school, I had the most beautiful german shepard named Noodles. She was the greatest dog in the entire world. She also had nine lives. One day, my family and I were going to cook a frozen pizza and set it on the stove to thaw. We stepped outside for a minute and by the time we came back in, Noodles had eaten the entire thing! And she was totally fine. No upset stomach or anything. She had a stomach of steel.

Mom     at 6:39 pm

Do we remember Bosley eating through the rung of the coffee table and the antique dining room chair leg?

Page     at 6:44 pm

My dog, Jack, is in LOVE with my two pillow shams on the bed. We can hear him jump up and he’ll chew the corners of the sham. We call those his “girlfriends” and I’ll leave the reason up for your imagination. :) haha No matter how many times we tell him no and get him off the bed, he still has to chew on those dang pillows.

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 6:44 pm

But they are so worth it! My dog broke windows, ate our meals, and destroyed pillows…but I loved her to death!

Sarah     at 6:52 pm

My sister was bringing her new boyfriend home to meet the family. So my mom made him a special pineapple upside down cake to “welcome him to the family”. After picking up my sister and him at the airport, we returned to the parents house to find that their lab had pulled the cake off the counter and ate the entire thing… leaving one pineapple ring! Her belly was rock solid for a day! Needless to say, it broke the ice for sure. My mom made another cake the next day and set it up on the top of the fridge for safety.

Anna (@ Doing Good and Living Well)     at 7:02 pm

Oh wow, this post makes me super nervous for the little doggy Hubs and I are about to adopt! Ha ha ha, time to puppy proof the place!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks     at 7:03 pm

Oooh! That camera picture made me wince!

I mentioned some my sister’s dog Onyx’s destructive behaviors. I’ve also had problems with cats.

Like when my sister’s cats peed all over my $200 down comforter on the day I moved into their apartment. There is no coming back from that.

Yeah. Thanks guys. I feel so welcome.

MA*     at 7:11 pm

remember when baby roach ate your flip flop? seems sooo minor now ;)

your pups have angel faces! kisses to my undercover lover huey. give indy a belly rub from me. xoxo

Deva (Voracious Vorilee)     at 7:28 pm

I love this post, it’s so sweet. We have three cats. We learned early on that we couldn’t keep butter open on the table while we were gettng dinner ready – maggie will start to lick it out of the tub. Same with nacho cheese and whipped cream. When Dorian was a kitten, I was slicing steak to make fajitas with, and when I wasn’t paying attention to the steak strips, he started to walk off with one that was almost as long as he was! He growled at me when I went to take it away – it was funny! Enzo just likes to chew paper…

Maddie (Healthy Maddie)     at 7:28 pm

Dogs are trouble but just too cute and loving to live without!
When my dog was a puppy she made a huge hole in the bottom of a cushioned chair and burrowed inside. We thought we lost her until the chair started “crying.” She has also eaten many shoes, clothes, my sister’s stuffed animals, rugs, christmas presents (wrapping paper as well!), and more. She’s even eaten entire batches of chocolate cookies but was luckly ok. Even with all the trouble she causes I couldn’t imagine the house without her.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) Reply:

I love the image of a “crying” chair! So funny!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 7:28 pm

That is intense! Its sometimes so easy to forgive them though with their precious little faces.. and sometimes it takes longer hahaha

Tiffany S     at 6:39 pm

Geez, just reading through all these comments I realize that my dog is SO good. He doesn’t chew anything except his toys really. When he’s home alone, he just sleeps. Love my dog!

Amy     at 7:45 pm

I love your attitude. I have a cat with diabetes and give him shots twice a day (and test his blood sugar). I know the feeling that you must have the most expensive, high-maintenance pet … but you love them anyway! This warmed my heart. :)

Katrina@ Katrina Runs for Food     at 7:48 pm

My cat, Frankie, can detect when my blood sugar is dangerously high (diabetes). The first time it happened, my husband was in his chair and I was asleep on the couch. Frankie jumped on my chest and started pawing my hair. When Stephen managed to get him off, I was already in the confusion/delusion stage. That has happened 3 times and each time, Frankie woke me up.

Pets are so worth it. :-)

KVH     at 7:57 pm

Well, at least they are CUTE! Totally makes up for all the destroyed stuff, IMO! I currently have a cat who only wants to destroy my carpet with her claws. But my shih tzu dog growing up ate an entire row of Oreo cookies (think Costco-sized box) and also a GINORMOUS Hershey’s bar (we’re talking bigger than a king-sized bar). She then proceeded to puke the Hershey’s bar up all over our living room for probably 24 hours straight. I still cannot stand the smell of Hershey’s or Resolve carpet cleaner!

Jessica Sinclair     at 8:08 pm

My dogs have never really been chewers of things they aren’t suppose to because I’ve always given them lots of toys to chew on. My lab/sheltie mix was allergic to rawhide, she would puke everywhere if she got a hold of any(EWWW!) and she liked to gather up her ‘Dad’s’ dirty socks under the bed and make a nest. The funniest was when she figured out she could swim by falling off a dock when she was a big puppy (what a comedy)… the Shih Tzu doesn’t chew on anything but her toys, but she likes to roll in the cat poop the neighbourhood cats leave in our backyard (Big YUCK!).

Katherine     at 8:30 pm

My mom’s 90-lb yellow lab, Riley, ate an entire pound of 90% cocoa baker’s chocolate a couple of Christmases ago… while we were all asleep! He was rather hyper in the morning, and my mom got suspicious (he’s generally a very mellow dog). He ended up spending Christmas Eve in the doggie ER hooked up to an IV :( But he’s okay now!

When they were puppies, Riley and his sister Bailey ate all of the furniture on our screened-in porch (first eating through the screens to get in, of course!). That was a lot of fiber from the wicker, I’m sure!

David Schaewe     at 8:43 pm

I had a dog named Jo, now passed away. A Cocker Spaniel – Golden Retriever mix. Can’t pick one story because among other things she:

1. Once escaped and tried to get on the school bus.
2. Chewed her obedience school application. (She passed on the 2nd try)
3. Ate my wife’s birth control pills.

Never a dull moment with her.

Holly     at 8:48 pm

I love the innocent looks on their faces in the photos in the post!! Very much reminds me of our Black lab mix (1.5 yrs). We are now on crate #3 in one year of having him. He chewed the bars off the first metal crate, stuck his head out the side and proceeded to chew a HUGE hole in our wall to wall Berber carpet in the hallway – all the way down to the subfloor. Luckily, the carpet came back up later on. The second crate was more heavy duty and he’s like Houdini. He figured out how to get out of the metal latches that are not just slide over latches. FOUR padlocks on the crate, and he still managed to bust out about once a week and leaves a very destructive path in our house. We are pretty sure that he’s figured out how to open the cabinet doors since he ate through an entire roll of plastic wrap and chewed his way through 100 zip lock baggies. Next stop – baby proofing the kitchen.

Still love him to death!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Sounds familiar. We can’t crate either. Huey escapes, and Indy can eat his way straight through the plastic.

KaraHadley     at 9:06 pm

My dog chews the squeakers out of all his toys, but that’s about it. Though when he was younger and we would give him the leftover biscuits from Sunday breakfast he used to bury them. These were delicious human food biscuits, and my weirdo dog would bury them under trees rather than eat them. Go figure.

Cate     at 9:12 pm

They are SO ADORABLE! The golden retriever I had when I was a kid ate TONS of socks (which always re-appeared, but dirtier), clif bars (but left the wrapper) and entire sticks of butter off the counter.

Christine     at 9:52 pm

Quincy ate a couch too.

and became a CONE HEAD: http://biterightin.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/copyofpicture056.jpg

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Awwwww poor Quincy! :( Our dogs have luckily never done the cone – they would FREAK out.

Colleen     at 9:52 pm

Love the adorable photos! Those faces – too cute. Definitely can relate to the chewing stories shared thus far. Our previous, beloved, yellow lab (looked so much like Indy) and our other dogs have chewed too many shoes to count. Along with too many pairs of underwear, stuffed toys (theirs and the kids’), sofa and chair (it appeared their tennis ball got stuck under the chair), their beds, their old plastic water bowls before we got smart and replaced them with metal, wicker furniture, a loaf or two of bread and a pan of brownies that were on the counter to cool – must have been good there were only crumbs left, some wooden trim from our old kitchen, the bottoms of our kitchen chairs, a couple of leaches, some Christmas wrapped boxes of doggie treats that were under the tree – no longer like those treats, and a few blankets. Wow, that seems like a lot but I’m sure I am forgetting s’thing. Gotta love them though.

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Haha we have to ask everyone that brings over presents “is anything in this edible?” (since we clearly love food) because our dogs will TEAR apart any food presents under the tree. Learned that one the hard way with a few bags of coffee.

Two Pitties in the City     at 9:52 pm

I love that last photo of them looking out the window. How could you be angry with them?
We are very lucky that our male dog has this incredible sense of guilt; he gets his feelings hurt very easily and he works really hard to please us. One day he found out where the food was kept behind the counter and he ate some. When we showed him the spot and yelled at him his feelings were hurt so badly he refused to ever go behind the counter again. We even tested it by leaving treats while he was home alone and we were gone, and the treats were still there when we came home.

Sally     at 10:06 pm

I have a chewed and tattered Joy of Cooking to match yours :)

Yours is in better shape than mine, though, as half of the front cover is missing. That was thanks to my Cockapoo, Murphy, when he was a baby. Murphy ate an armchair, various books and magazines and pens. I once came home to find him caught green-handed – meaning his paws and beard were stained green from the pen he was chewing.

My female Sheltie, Maggie, had a fondness for shoes, walls, and one particular lamp cord that we had recorded 4 times. She chewed it again, we just haven’t recorded it. I think she actually LIKED the Bitter Apple I sprayed on there!

My male Sheltie (and puppy), Max, enjoys cardboard (particularly empty rolls from the toilet paper) and silica gel. He used to like Mulch but apparently his tastes have grown more sophisticated.

Geez, with 3 dogs, it’s amazing I have a house that’s still standing!!

Anne Marie     at 10:32 pm

Our Piper is definitely going through a chewing phase. She chewed up my Pioneer Woman cookbook the other day :(

Emily Eats Clean     at 10:34 pm

Ohhh my goodness….those are expensive dogs!! But you’re right, they are family and your house would feel empty without them. I love the pic of them both standing and looking out the window, sooo cute!! I found a stray cat about 3 weeks before I got married, 16 days before I got married it had 5 kittens in my bathroom. :) Needless to say, we had babies to come home to and deal with after our honeymoon. Then I got that stray cat fixed before giving her away and she pulled her stitches out of her stomach in the middle of the night. 350 dollar emergency vet bill later…I was like, you’ve got to be kidding me, this is a freakin’ stray cat!!!! :)

Ashley     at 10:51 pm

OH my GOSH!!!! I have never heard of SO many crazy stories for 2 dogs in my life!!! Wow. So funny b/c Kenna chewed my favorite pair of heals…the only ones I wear [the black lace] just LAST night. It was the first freaking time she ever chewed a shoe…why that one? Why now? SO lame + weird. I don’t remember Dakota ever destroying much…but she gets into food when we leave, if we’re not careful. However, never a butternut squash, haha. ;) Kenna has always been “chewier” and has put many holes in blankets and various things…Eating the couches and carpet are crazy. I’m glad they made it through all of that!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 11:11 pm

Oh geez, where to start? My chocolate lab used to ONLY eat library books (only hardback), ate up entire bars of chocolate WITH the foil wrappers once, grabbed and devoured homemade cakes, and pretty much ate ANYTHIng in about two seconds flat. He also loved to eat puzzle pieces, which of course, I would only discover once I was “done” with them.

But he was also incredibly gentle, he once found an injured baby bird on the side of the road during a walk and carefully picked it up in his mouth to give to one of us. No dog will ever top him.

I’m so glad your dogs survived all those almost-emergencies. My dog’s stomach flipped twice, and he was lucky to survive as well, so I know how scary that must have been.

Katie     at 11:22 pm

My dachshund, Samson, has destroyed not 1, not 2, but 3 of my phones. The only “good” news was that they weren’t iphones…but blackberry’s aren’t easy/cheap to fix. However, my little dude makes me laugh everyday and he is the best snuggler and has as much love as ever! (can you tell I’m the good cop?)

Gabrielle     at 11:30 pm

Beautiful photos of the doggies, and they look so sweet, but why so much chewing? Is it some sort of displacement behavior? Granted, I haven’t lived with dogs in many years, it’s cats for me for the past 29 years or so (though I grew up with dogs in the family – don’t remember that much chewing, but urinary indiscretions, yes), but I’m surprised at so much destruction. Maybe they’re trying to teach you that your belongings are just “things” after all, and not important in the long run, not as important as some doggie loving. :)

I’m wondering how they got salmonella from the turtles… did they eat them too?

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 11:54 pm

My kitten is constantly running around and breaking everything! I love her dearly but she is starting to cost me!

She also almost broke my camera by flicking it off the table. It makes a horrible crunching sound whenever I turn the camera on. :/

Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone     at 12:06 am

Our pets have tarted responding to Seriously!?!?! (a la Greys Anatomy) from the stuff they do.

Molly’s (german shorthair pointer/rott/golden retriver mix) abso fav is Hubs baseball hats which she chews starting from the button up top. I think she’s gotten at least 4 of them and she’ll be 3yrs old in January. When she was a puppy she chewed an ear piece of his Rayban sunglasses, a corner of the woodwork in the famiy, and 2 screwdriver handles. I know I’m forgetting some. I want to say something Xbox related.

Cosmo (Australian Shephard) got my Pirates of the Carribean lunch bag and a few things of tupperware. He’s more the of Houdini and has escaped/broken 3 baby/dog gates (but that will be a story for another day.)

We also have 2 cats (yes I know I have a zoo) Frankie who has put teeth marks in almost every purse I own, likes to chew the tabs off the backs of boots and chews plastic bags. He also knocks things over just to see if they break. Bond tries to climb up one set of drapes constantly and has bent the curtain rod.

Jordan Wandfluh - Raw Run Relief     at 11:07 pm

I adopted Sophie, a brittany mix, from a local shelter. One month later when I went back to my home town to visit my mom Sophie was out in the back. I hear my mom scream “where is Sophie?” She was missing. We looked all over the neighborhood. My mom then hears her under the shed in our backyard. There was an opening which is so narrow she could crawl under but not turn around. We had to call 911 but they said they don’t rescue pets!!! A firefighter overheard the call and came anyways. He had to take a hatchet and try to carefully not hurt her. Then we had to pry the bottom of our shed apart. A week before this she had fallen down the stairs and a week before that she fell in the pool. When we first got her we put her in the kitchen while I went to a doctors appointment. We came back to her up on the counter in the kitchen window with everything broken. How she got up onto the counter we still don’t know. She had peed on the counter. She was trying to get outside to pee! I felt so bad.

Michelle...     at 12:55 am

My cat is also a chewer, though she has much larger jaws than a big dog!

This is her latest conquest, a set of 6 month old ipod headphones:

And I’m glad to read from others here that I’m not alone! I totally thought it was teething, but now she’s almost a year and half old, so so much for that one!

Lauren     at 1:02 am

My friend has a Bullmastiff and it got sick one day so they did emergency surgery and it turned out that she’d eaten my friends bathing suit! Also my boyfriend has a Shiba Inu, which a notoriously ill-behaved dogs, and it lives up to its reputation. It has chewed numerous pairs of my shoes and used to escape almost daily and take you on a wild goose chase for hours.

Mary Frances     at 1:42 am

I absolutely loved this post. The pictures of those perfect innocent faces between the torn up stuff was precious and reminds us that they are so much more important that the things they destroy.

My dog has destroyed shoes, carpets, chairs, baseboards, and broken windows. Even I have scars from where he’s gotten a little hyper and overly playful.

Libby     at 2:36 am

Oh, boy, brings up a lot of memories. My dogs (2 goldies) have destroyed quite a bit in their time – but not as much as yours :-). The most memorable would be a brand new TV remote control and a computer mouse – we couldn’t work out why Sam kept dry heaving – eventually he bought up a silver ball – which was the mouse ball after all the coating had been destroyed in his stomach. Dogs!!! Lucky they are so darn lovable :-).

Libby

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 2:41 am

WHAT!?!?! Huey ate berber carpet!?! How is that even appetizing? Wow, I wasn’t as careful as I shoulda been at your house. So glad they didn’t eat my iPod or anything :)

erica     at 4:31 am

this post comes one day after my little yorkie ollie ate my GLEE cd!!! hahahaha.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 7:50 am

Baahaha. A while ago, we posted some things that our cats have destroyed, too. I mean, I see little bite marks in like EVERYthing. But we love ‘em. We always just say: “THis is why we can’t have nice things!”

Cailin @ Stir Crazy     at 7:55 am

Our boxer got into our trash and ate all the bones from a leftover rotisserie chicken… I was so scared when I found the empty container! Luckily, he was fine and never got sick. Other than that, he’s pretty good about not chewing on things… but then again, he’s now almost 12 and basically sleeps all day :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 9:21 am

That last picture is absolutely adorable. Definitely a framer.

Our old dog wasn’t a chewer, but he loved to EAT things like socks. Just swallow them whole…and then they’d come out the other end in the yard. He also loved to jump on little girls’ shoulders and rip out their scrunchies. I think he traumatized all of my friends growing up!!

lauren     at 9:39 am

When we lived in our first house, our GSP decided she’d love to EAT the house. She literally pulled the siding off part of the house about 4 times.

Thank goodness she finally grew out of it & the final section was replaced (again!) before we sold our house.

Suzanne     at 9:52 am

One year, when we still ate meat, we had a whole ham joint soaking in a big pot in the sink. Our daft greyhound managed to steal this joint of ham (which was raw by the way)and ate the whole thing. When we returned home we found light pink flesh all over the house, it was really gross! Needless to say my greyhound was so poorly all through the Christmas holidays, and of course drank her weight in water because obviously we were soaking the ham to remove the salt. Poor daft dog!

lindsay     at 10:05 am

OMG they chewed up Alton Brown and the joy of cooking?! they must have good taste!

krista     at 10:13 am

I’m so glad there are people like you (and many commenters) that put up with crazy dogs! Because there’s no way I could deal with it at ALL. God Bless You!

Mimi     at 10:19 am

Wow, sounds like your dogs have definitely challenged your patience. (That’s a nice way to put it, right?)

I can’t even count how many times I’ve said about my roommate’s dog, “If she wasn’t so cute…”

Gabrielle @ Weightless     at 10:33 am

What a great post, Emily! The world would be a very sad place without pets.

Beth @ bethcooks     at 11:24 am

I love this post! No matter what my little ones do, I will always forgive them. They don’t destroy much, but they stay outside when we aren’t home. Labs definitely love all rugs though! Ours is obsessed!

Megan     at 11:25 am

Very cute dogs!!! My dog ate my brand new pair of $130 Asics the day after I brought them home….very frustrating!!

Juli D.     at 11:32 am

Thank goodness for crating otherwise my list would be even more massive. The best stories: eating our 30 gig iPod right before we left to go watch the movie “Marley and Me” and eating a bag of powdered sugar – my husband came downstairs to a white living room and white dog with a peice of plastic in the corner of his mouth – but Toby of course gave him the I’m-innocent-and-didn’t-do-anything-look-how-big-and-sweet-my-eyes-are look.

Kristy     at 12:49 pm

Oh I feel your pain with all things chewed! They are so cute, though!! :)

Claire     at 1:07 pm

I have a two year old cat and in those two years he has:
*opened the fridge and eaten his way through the contents of the fridge

*he eats chewing gum with the packets

*has destroyed 5 pairs of headphones including one very expensive Bose pair

*he has chewed more holes in sweaters and cardigans than I can count

*he shreds toilet paper and kitchen towel roll

*shreds tampons – he must think they’re mice!

*anything on the kitchen counter tops gets eaten – bags of peppercorns, a candle, pasta, cookies, bread etc.

He is a nightmare but he is also so damn cute!

Erika MC     at 1:11 pm

Oh dogs – what can ya say?! We have two 6-lb Chihuahuas. Together they have eaten many things – shoes, pillows, bedding, toys, etc. The worst was when one of them ate a $100 bill. We ended up pouring salt down his mouth so he would puke it up, which he did but it came up in small pieces. We were able to get the serial number though and took it to the bank and they replaced it. I will add that the $100 bill was sitting next to a pile of $1 bills and he didn’t touch those!

Lauren Reply:

this had me laughing me out loud at my desk – too too funny.

angie     at 2:02 pm

I thought it was only me that had “bad” dogs! I don’t feel so alone now! Between my two dogs and one cat… all plants that we ( me and my hubby) have bought have been destroyed. One dog ate threw a tin box to eat all the coco that was in it! The other dog ate two different couches! We use to have an old frig that one of the dogs when how to open and we would come home to find the frig door open and all the food on the bottom shelves eaten!

Lauren     at 2:33 pm

i think i read this whole post with my jaw dropped. our dog is a mini dach and she’s super well behaved (a blessing).

but when we had three ginormous dogs in california… they used to catch rattle snakes in the yard and bring them INTO THE HOUSE AND DROP THEM ON THE BED WHILE WE SLEPT. i kid you not. between the three of them, they killed about 10 of our neighbor’s homing pigeons, 20 rabbits, 100 lizards – and one ate a bag of hershey’s kisses hidden away on the top shelf of a six foot pantry. still to this day, no idea how he did it. and sometimes i’d come home in the middle of the day for lunch and catch them all swimming in the pool. big dogs are hilarious, always.

Jessica M     at 2:38 pm

Wow, I want a dog but we can’t do any damage to our house (we live in military housing).

What’s funny is my cat chewed up the cover of one of my NEW books the other day! I didn’t know cats liked to chew- mine chews anything plastic, clothes, blankets, tablecloths.

Mer     at 10:58 pm

Holy cow. (dog?) Where do you start with the stories? Our dog growing up ate everything. Two pairs of my glasses, trash ALL the time, an entire batch of brownies left cooling on the porch table while we were out, underwear was a favorite, (never homework, strangely,) an entire king-sized comforter – while she was locked in a crate, etc. She would steal and bury whole loaves of bread in potted house plants and under pillows in bed. But never toys. Current dog (their time ever-so-briefly overlapped) destroys toys of all types, and anything with stuffing, but thankfully has never touched a shoe or piece of furniture. We miss old dog, especially the overlap time when new dog would catch a ride on poor old dog’s tail, but new dog is much more hassle-free, and we hope to have him at least as long as her (17 years). Man, I’m getting a little teary.

Mer     at 11:01 pm

Oh, PS did I mention that old dog also caused a car accident with her constant tearing out of ANY cracked open door and roaming (after dog runs, electric fence, and walks) and still ate crazy things and got into trouble with 3 casted legs? (Beagle. Geez.) At least then we could hear her clomping around and catch her most of the time.

Meghan     at 2:13 pm

I am so glad to hear someone else loves their dogs as much as we do! Our one has cost over $10,000 for surgeries for eating things. He has the matching scar to your pup. We now have him trained for 1 toy (a blue kong) but we will find beer caps, plastic pieces and other random things chewed in his crate.

annie     at 3:08 pm

this has got to be one of the sweetest posts i have ever read.

Katherine     at 3:47 pm

My dog is a pug so he doesn’t have too much mouth to chew with, but on the flip side of that I have a rabbit with a taste for electrical cords. How he hasn’t gotten electrocuted yet I don’t know.

Orla     at 5:46 pm

I love the last picture – that is what my hound does every day when I come home from work – except he stands on top of the chair we have there, and I see it from the outside.
Thankfully, my dog hasn’t eaten anything belonging to me but did get hold of my boyfriends glasses and he destroyed them.
He only chews if he gets bored or too energetic. Thankfully he was pretty much out of his chewing puppy stage when we got him as a rescue dog.
We did name him after a national tv journalist though so maybe we are lucky he hasn’t chewed more!

Chelsie Varga     at 3:02 pm

I just found your blog today via foodbuzz and don’t have a pet story, but I happened to notice Alton Brown’s cookbook on your shelf. I just blogged about my love for him on my blog yesterday. This year I am embarking on becoming a health counselor through the Integrative Institute of Nutrition (check it out) and am quickly falling in love with your blog. It’s nice to see someone in the blogging community that is not married with children already. I’m sure there are more out there, but it’s nice to find someone my own age.

Natalia     at 9:39 pm

I love that your dogs look so innocent in all of the pictures!
My dog is not a very good boy. At all. He constantly jumps into our garden (we have a fence) and digs out everything planted in there, he is very fond of bitting through wires- christmas tree lights and stereo cords, luckily both times they weren’t plugged in. He also chewed up the brake handle bar on my bike, it still functions but what exactly was his intention?

Natalia Reply:

Oh and the best part? He once chewed his way through a “Gorilla Proof” dog crate.

Indy has chewed his way out of a cage before too. :)

Elizabeth     at 4:32 pm

Thankfully our Frenchie doesn’t chew anything other than food/toys (so lucky!), but he does have a wee bit of a stealing/hoarding problem. He likes to sneak my stuff (and only myyyy stuff) and hide it in his crate– running watches, hair elastics, shoes, and best of all– undergarments. One day, I came home to find a hot pink bra in his crate. I’m sure our dog walker thinks we are complete freaks. Man, those pups are always good for a laugh!

Best Garnish of 2010. | Daily Garnish     at 8:40 pm

[...] Dog Days [...]

Wendy     at 4:49 am

Hi Emily
I just ready your blog on the sparkpeople web site and ventured over to your site to check things out. Your dogs are so adorable! I wouldn’t be able to stay mad at them either. I have 4 dogs and each has their unique personalities. 2 of them stay in the house most of the time. When they are alone, everything is fine. When all 4 dogs are in the house alone, all heck breaks loose. I can always tell they’ve gotten into something before I even walk in the door because the 2 older dogs make a beeline out the door so they won’t get yelled at. The youngest is Van Gogh (yes, he only has one ear like his namesake. He doesn’t chew things up but he hoards them. I’m waiting for TLC to do a buried alive show on him.

Nikki T     at 5:20 pm

I know this is an old post, but I MUST comment! I just found your blog yesterday (thanks to KathEats) and I had to look back on some of the dog posts as I have a chocolate fur-baby named Bella.
We’ve been lucky as she hasn’t chewed anything (that) major like the couch, carpet, railings, etc…however she’s had her moments…
I wasn’t super impressed when she decided my Garmin 305 was hers to snack on! And I don’t think my Husband was happy when, just the other day, she took his wallet off the counter, into her crate and nicely helped us not to spend any $$ by eating his visa, debit card, etc!!

“No matter what they do, they always come back with looks of sincere apology, that somehow ends in temporary memory loss of whatever damage has occurred.”….SO TRUE!!

Love your blog so far!

Nikki (and Bella!) ;)

So glad you found the blog! Can’t live with em, can’t live without em, right? :)

Nikki T Reply:

SO right!

Dog Yeast Infection Cures     at 10:41 pm

Someone necessarily assist to make severely posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular post extraordinary. Great process!