Last week’s post about my chewed up Vitamix prompted a lot of comments about various things our dogs (and other pets) have destroyed. It got me thinking about all of the many, MANY things that have ended up in the bellies of these two (thankfully invincible) dogs.
No matter what they do, they always come back with looks of sincere apology, that somehow ends in temporary memory loss of whatever damage has occurred.
Where do I even begin…?
In younger puppy days, they have BOTH individually eaten two different couches. Yes, entire couches – destroyed.
When Huey was still a pup, he managed to rip up and eat a stairwell of Berber carpet which then kinked itself around all of his internal organs. Thousands and thousands of dollars and two surgeries later (see the scar?), he miraculously came back from a 10% chance of survival.
Last year they got new beds on Christmas day. Less than 12 hours later I discovered a room full of fluff, and scraps of lambs wool bedding. The days are numbered on their current beds…
Sooooooo many countless shoes, and only a few remain to actually photograph. The rest are long gone in a landfill.
Some things have not been so easy to replace…
And other things have been very expensive…
(For the record he has actually eaten TWO cameras!)
And then there are the things that should be worn through use and love, but not doggie chew marks.
I bought this rug last week. Sometimes I think that they are actually laughing at me.
But other times have not been so funny. Like the time that Huey ate an entire tub of cocoa powder and had to spend the night at the emergency vet.
Or last fall when both dogs nearly died of simultaneous salmonella poisoning from the turtles in our backyard.
And it’s times like those that always remind me that despite the chewed up shoes and cameras, and the fact that they are probably the world’s most expensive dogs…
Our home would feel so empty without them.
What are your craziest pet stories?