Officially Foodbuzz.

Another long day of exploring under my belt!  It started at Bread and Cocoa, a cute little coffee shop just a few blocks from our hotel.  Rumors of an oatmeal topping bar lured us in.  Luckily they proved to be TRUE!

I got a giant bowl of steel cut oats and topped it with almost every topping available.  Coconut flakes, golden raisins, chai granola, chopped nuts, and agave syrup.  Yuuuuuuuuuum.

After breakfast, I joined up with a group of bloggers for a fabulous photography session led by Ashley, the resident photo expert.

As she explained the camera functions and tricks, I took practice shots of her Vibrams.  :)

And my feet too!  (Those shoes came back to haunt me later)

Our photo session was over around 11am, but it felt more like 2pm Eastern time to me, and I was ravenous.  Our group immediately headed out on foot to Café Gratitude which was a bit of a hike from out hotel.  Eventually, we made it there – I was SO glad to finally see some food!

The adorable little pup outside stole my heart.  She made me miss my two monsters back home.  (Casey has reported that in the 24 hours I have been gone, Indy has already eaten a doormat and an umbrella.)

I made a vow when I came to San Francisco that I would not eat any lame, throw-away meals.  In a foodie city like this, every meal must count!  So far I’m two for two.

For an appetizer, Allie and I split the I am Insightful Spring Rolls – avocado, seasonal fruit, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, beets, sprouts, and fresh herbs wrapped in blanched collar greens, and served with Thai coconut-almond butter dipping sauce.  Ummm yes, please!

I love the “Gratitude” aspect of this restaurant.  It gave off a really great vibe.  What are YOU grateful for?

I am grateful for delicious spring rolls.  :)

And fun people to share them with.  It is hard to explain what it’s like to hang with other groups of food bloggers.  I can honestly say it’s the only time where I never feel like I need to explain myself – these people get me.

Next up, lunch arrived.  I got the I Am Insightful Taco Plate and it did not disappoint.

Three words for you: cashew nacho cheese.  Oh.my.word.

The micro greens on top were SO fresh and crispy – so refreshing and exactly what I wanted.

There was some very bizarre and random restaurant entertainment…

And then we make the long trek back to our hotel.  Much of our day was spent simply walking to and from lunch, exploring a different end of the city.  Sunday my plan is to get back to the water and see more of the piers and the wharf.  Before I headed up to my room to get ready for the night, I checked in to the official Foodbuzz registration!

When we got back to the room I was finally able to yank of the shoes that had been pinching my feet for hours and hours.  All day people kept asking me how my knee was feeling, and my response was always, “Honestly, my shoes are really hurting so its kind of distracting me.”  Even so, I was NOT prepared for what I saw when I slipped them off…

Sorry, that was gross.  Even grosser, there is a matching one on my right foot.  What the HECK am I going to wear on my feet now??  My poor lower half just can’t catch a break.  Thank you Target for the blisters!  At least I have some fun Foodbuzz swag to distract me from my horrifying toes.

Including interesting things like packaged meats (whoops).

After relaxing in the room and getting ready, it was finally time to head to the first official Foodbuzz event – the Street Food Fare!

Just in time to see a gorgeous sunset…

The main focus of the night was on a massive mini cupcake display!  The cupcakes actually spelled FOODBUZZ in three different flavors.  :)

As the buses rolled in, we all started to mingle and meet.  So fun to finally meet Marci, and to reconnect with Meghann again!

I was so overwhelmed by the cro
wd and event that I realized about about 30 minutes that I hadn’t actually had anything to EAT!  I started by doing a nosedive into a cheese plate…

And once our activities at our tables were over, I started to wander around to find something more substantial.  I would be lying if I told you that I wasn’t slightly disappointed at the lack of vegetarian options available.  Of the ten vendors there, only three had veggie options.  But there was a LOT of meat!

In the “real world” I am used to a lack of options, but I thought that being in San Francisco it would be more vegetarian friendly.  Even so, I made the best of it and managed to eat just plenty.  :)

After heading to three different vendors to be greeted with pork belly, Korean beef, and pepperoni, I was thrilled to finally see THIS!

And it was the best thing I ate all night.  An Indian flat wrap with homemade paneer cheese and spicy sauce.  Totally amazing.  I would say that I shared it with Kath, but I think she took two bites and I ate the other 90 percent.

On the other side of the room, I found vegan paella.  Nice and creamy, with yummy veggies.

And I was really happy to see that someone had included a vegan option.

While the food was good, the company was better.  I was so wrapped up in conversations with new and old friends, that I didn’t really focus on the food too much.

Totally fun and random highlight of the night – an old OLD friend!  Believe it or not, Bill and I went to high school together.  We haven’t seen each other in close to 12 years, since were both 18 (don’t do the math).  It’s so cool that in the new age of blogs and Facebook, it really didn’t feel like any time had passed.

Whenever there are groups of bloggers around, the tend to gravitate towards cameras.  That was intensified times 100 when the Food Network crew arrived to film a pilot for a new series about the Cupcake Bakery.  I am rather shy and kept my distance, but I thought it was fun that there was a TV crew catching all the action.

Once the cameras turned off, I made my move towards the cupcakes.  One hundred percent amazing – pumpkin spice was hands down my favorite.  I ate three.  :)

Tonight was just one of those night where I felt warm and fuzzy and full of happy foodie love.  Today’s lunch posed the question – what are you grateful for?

I am grateful for this wonderful food community, and the opportunity to explore such a fun city and attend this great event.  I am grateful for Foodbuzz, and how openly they love and support us as food bloggers.  And most of all, I am grateful that what started as a whacky hobby has blossomed into s
omething that has changed my life, and brought me great friendships from coast to coast.

I am grateful.

…And really really sleepy.

Alicia     at 10:09 am

Ooh! Your poor toes!! Ouch!! Everything you ate looks so good!!

Renee     at 10:10 am

I love this! :) It’s so funky to see all the bloggers that I read hang out together.. :) Hope you keep having an amazing weekend ( and find better shoes ) !

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 10:21 am

Wow, your toe! So sorry that looks painful! Looks like a fun day otherwise. Enjoy today!

Cate     at 10:27 am

I was pretty surprised about the lack of vegetarian options too…but like you I was so busy talking to people that food wasn’t my biggest focus anyway. Last night was so much fun!

A Better Me     at 10:31 am

Ouch! Bless your heart! There’s so nothing worse than your feet hurting when you have to be on them all the time. I hope everything heals up quickly! You look like you’re having a blast though! :)

Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food     at 10:37 am

Thank you for the details on the festival! I felt like I was right there. I’m very surprised by the lack of vegetarian choices. :-(

christina cadden     at 10:57 am

Looks like so much fun!

Rachel R     at 11:01 am

WOW…that’s one heck of a blister! Hope you find some shoes to get you through. Thanks for sharing your adventures…it’s inspiring to see you all together (each started somewhere and made a name for yourselves and found friendships along the way…hopefully new bloggers like myself see this and find the same inspiration). HAVE FUN!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 11:06 am

So sorry about your toes! I love how the oatmeal toppings are in jars in the first photo, so neat :) Hope your toes heal fast and you can enjoy the festival!

Emily     at 11:34 am

Haha I loved the blister shot..totally something gross that I would put on my blog, too :) Glad you are having such a wonderful time with such amazing people…hopefully I will be there in 2011!!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I’m glad someone appreciated the blister photo. :)

Krystina     at 11:39 am

Your poor toes! I hope you get to wear comfy shoes soon. This post made me smile; you have such a positive, great attitude.

Heather     at 11:44 am

so fun! esp the yummy looking cupcakes!!! Have a great weekend!

Kathleen     at 11:54 am

OUCH! Very jealous though,I was supposed to go but kids have soccer all day, life of a mom. maybe next year.

Dee     at 12:01 pm

Oh no! Your poor feet! I hope they heal quickly! :(

And oh my gosh! The first night of foodbuzz looked amazing! WOW!

Poppy@From Fried Chicken to Tofu     at 12:14 pm

Looks like the event is super fun…Mini-cupcakes make any event fabulous! I’m grateful for the support of the blogging community as I journey towards a healthy life. I like meeting new people, and the support has been awesome!

bitt     at 12:17 pm

I hope Foodbuzz takes note and gets more veggie vendors next time! I think the West Coast in general is very veggie friendly but those sort of food festivals are NOT. :-( Glad you found something.

LeanGreenLiving     at 12:23 pm

My friend and I don’t get blisters any more on our all-day walks when we visit New York because we wear those dorky, thin little hosiery shoe liners. If you get the black, sheer ones that are low-cut they won’t show. We get them on-line now, but try the shoe repairs that are all over the city. Sorry about those painful blisters! You do not deserve them after all you’ve been through.

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 12:54 pm

Love the vegan paella; I’ll have to see if I can dig up a recipe. And the cupcake mosaic is a brilliant idea. So brilliant that we did one for my brother’s rehearsal dinner last month: http://districtchocoholic.blogspot.com/2010/10/mini-cupcake-mosaic-most-excellent.html

Oh no, your poor toes. I hope you start feeling better soon!

That’s actually really lame about the lack of vegetarian/vegan options. Especially since so many of you eat that way!

Lynn     at 1:07 pm

Find yourself a pair of TOMS! I wore mine when I walked all over San Francisco last month, and my feet felt great.

Miranda     at 1:43 pm

Your poor toes!! You are a trooper, I would have been whining all night!! Love the pictures, it’s like we are all there with ya!

Catherine     at 1:58 pm

Ouch! Can you get away with flip flops? You’d be like a true Californian then ;) Everyone here (even in SF!) wears flip flops year round. Hope your tootsies are feeling better today!

Lindsay     at 2:34 pm

Great pics! Sorry about the blisters ouch! :( Pick up some cute band-aids, that will brighten your spirit-and your feet!

Caitlin (EatFeats)     at 2:37 pm

That’s funny because I feel like at SF/Berkeley restaurants it is actually easier to be a vegetarian than to not be one.

Clare     at 2:43 pm

Emily! I’m gonna sound like a mom (even though I’m not one) and tell you that you should be wearing better shoes for all these San Fran walks, especially post-injury. Your poor legs need all the support and cushioning they can get.

Looks like an amazing time!

Rosemary     at 3:12 pm

Emily!!oooh!!what a shame you aren’t here in texas, I could give you a relaxing pedicure to help those poor feet!There are bandaids just for blisters..that might help.Looks like you are having fun though!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

I want that pedicure!! Next time I am in Texas…

Nana Phyllis     at 3:13 pm

Hope you found some comfortable shoes!! SF Looks like a lot of fun.

crystal     at 4:09 pm

oh my gosh your poor lil toe!!!! I hope you have more comfortable shoes!!! But it looks like your having an awesome time! cant wait to see more of your weekend!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 4:13 pm

I saw you last night, but didn’t connect the dots that it was you…sorry!

I felt the same way about the food, meat based, etc. Posted my opinions in my recent post (gently and just a couple sentences), got blasted in my comments, and edited my post b/c I dont need to field drama today :)

Thank you for saying what you said…and for speaking your mind!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Oh boo. That sucks that you got ripped apart in your comments – so unnecessary. :( I think it’s important to point out (especially in SAN FRANCISCO) when vegetarians are overlooked. I flew across the country, and at least expect something to eat! You know? :)

Gina     at 4:17 pm

Ouch…I always get major blisters when wearing anything cute walking in SF…I blame the hills! Your photos in the post are beautiful, I especially love the cute shot of the cupcake! When I lived in that area, I went to a Chocolate festivel at the Herbst Pavillion. I thought it was a nice open venue, needless to say, I left in a major sugar coma! That area is so so nice too, if you get a chance you should explore the Marina district!

Monica     at 4:39 pm

Those spring rolls look incredible!

Band-Aid has a specific soft/mushy wrap for blisters. I got blisters on the bottom of my feet last time I was in San Fran and walking was so uncomfortable. These band-aids helped tremendously. Any drug store should have them.

alana (at) the food     at 4:42 pm

those blisters look awful!
flip flops to the rescue!!!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie)     at 7:26 pm

Ouch! Sorry about your toes :(

Glad you are having fun with everyone!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe     at 7:32 pm

Glad you’re having a great time, despite the toe issue! You look so pretty in these pics, I love that black and white top you’re wearing.

All the food looks so good too! Those micro greens you speak of look like sunflower sprouts to me – my favorite! And the vegan paella…love paella too:)

Anyway, hope you get some good band-aids for your feet and continue having a great time!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Thanks Candice! It was a really fun trip. :)

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista)     at 8:40 pm

I am grateful for the ability to live vicariously through you (and many other bloggers) so I can feel like I’m on vacation in San Fran too!

lynn @ the actor's diet     at 8:55 pm

OUCH YOUR FOOT!!!!

that doggie looks just like my jack russell at home! love your blog! i hope we get more of a chance to talk tonight and tomorrow.

Laura Flowers     at 9:11 pm

It’s fun to read about your adventure here, although by now I just need a nap from all the food lol. Your poor toes though!!! Ouch!

Laura

Christin L.     at 9:33 pm

Oh man, that toe picture is killer! I love medical grossness! Sorry for your pain though!

I am grateful for all the encouragement I’ve had in starting my own blog and for all these wonderful blogs to draw inspiration from! :)

Rebecca     at 10:43 pm

Ohhh your toe looks so painful, hopefully you found some comfortable shoes, maybe you need some ugg boots, they aren’t very attractive, but, they would be comfortable for your feet.
Those spring rolls looked awesome, I guess they are something you could make at home.

sassy molassy     at 10:44 pm

Aw, that last bit was very sweet. Amazing what the connections we make on our blogs can turn into. Hope the feet heal up!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It)     at 11:32 pm

Oh your toes, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Looks like ya’ll are having a blast. I love business conferences like this a lot where I get to meet everyone I work with online. Good times!

I am grateful for so much, I cannot even begin to list everything. This last year things have really changed for the better and I’m so thankful.

Beth     at 6:10 am

Looks like you had a great time in San Francisco. All that food looks so wonderful, it’s making my mouth water! Oh, your poor foot!

Katelyn     at 9:12 am

It looks like your trip has been a blast so far! Sorry about your feet..surely SanFran will have some cute shoe store to remedy your toes!

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food     at 10:20 am

Oh my goodness lady – your blister photo made me cringe. I have the worst problem finding shoes that are comfy and that don’t give me blisters so I truly feel your pain!

It was great getting to chat with you yesterday. You’re just as sweet in person as you seem on here. ;)

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

Aww thanks Brittany! Hope we get to hang out again sometimes. :)

Project Life by Sue     at 11:15 am

Loved the entertainment at Cafe Gratitude. In fact love the name “Cafe Gratitude” :)

Youch!! – your feet look painful. But love the shoes :-P

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 6:46 pm

” It is hard to explain what it’s like to hang with other groups of food bloggers. I can honestly say it’s the only time where I never feel like I need to explain myself – these people get me.”

You just explained exactly how I feel as well! Being surrounded by bloggers this weekend was amazing- it really is such a special community.

I’m glad I got to meet you this weekend! Hope you have a safe trip home!

Kristy     at 8:56 am

I dunno if I’ve ever told you this but… you are BEAUTIFUL (not in a gay lover way but in an American Classic way!) :-) I still think your beautiful even though I saw that ucky toe, sorry about your boo boo!

Emily @ The Front Burner Blog Reply:

haha THANK you Kristy! you are so nice. :)

Katy @ Wiggle Wagon Blog     at 3:26 pm

My heart stopped when I saw the picture of the dog. She looks just like my other half back home in Wisconsin. (no, I don’t mean my husband)

Emilyeatsclean     at 8:19 pm

OUCH on those shoes girl!!! Otherwise it looks like you had an awesome and super delicious day!! I’m with you…..I figured there would be more veggie options in San Fran….

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 9:41 pm

OH MY GOD YOUR TOE!!!!!!!! I didn’t see that! I was too busy focusing on your knee after creepily asking to see it. :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Seattle’s Chaco Canyon Organic Café.     at 12:32 pm

[...] enchiladas reminded me of the delicious raw tacos I ate at Café Gratitude in San Francisco back in November.  Hands down one of my most memorable meals of all [...]

Thriving in Seattle. | Daily Garnish     at 9:50 am

[...] and mostly raw.  I checked out the menu online ahead of time, and it reminded me so much of Café Gratitude in San Francisco – one of my favorite meals of all [...]