Old Town Pizza Paradise.

Sorry for the late post tonight – I have been busy filming my video for the next Project Foog Blog post all afternoon!  Hopefully you guys will still want to read my blog after you see what a giant dork I am on camera.

Ever since we moved here, for the last 7 weeks I have been stalking a vacant spot on King Street that has been under construction with the promise of a new pizza place to come.  I literally squeal with glee and peek in the windows every time we stroll past.

Finally, last week I saw online that they were officially OPEN!  And even more exciting, I saw that their menu offered delicious vegan pizza options.  Pizza is one of those things that I love to go out to dinner for, rather than make at home, and finding places that offer soy cheese is always incredibly exciting.

We actually stopped into the restaurant on Saturday night, but there was a 45 minute wait, so we decided to wait until the week when the crowds would have died down.  Tonight we headed up to King Street, and because it was so COLD outside, there weren’t nearly as many people wandering around.

So we figured it was finally the perfect night for Pizza Paradiso!

Barely recognizable from the crowds of Saturday night!

There was really cute pizza décor all around…

Fluffy clouds on the ceiling…

And fun painted flames on the giant brick oven in the middle of the open kitchen.  Ever since culinary school, I have loved going to restaurants with open kitchens – I think it is so fun to watch all the action!

My high expectations of Pizza Paradiso did not disappoint.  A restaurant first for me – when we sat down they gave us a little bowl of delicious OLIVES!  Olives are a close second to my all time favorite food (avocado).

I was thrilled that we were able to add the soy mozzarella to any of the pizza selections – yum!

I never want Tina and Eddie to leave.  I love having them here visiting, and I hope we are successfully showing them how much fun it is to live here.  I am so lucky to have such wonderful in-laws.

Pizza makes me happy.  Casey makes me happy too.  :)

After just a few minutes, the pizza I have waited 7 weeks for FINALLY arrived!  Casey and I each got two different veggie pizzas so that we could trade pieces and try both.  Mine was the Sicilian, which had capers, red peppers, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, and soy mozzarella.  YUM!

Tina and Eddie got a big buffalo mozzarella pizza to split, which looked
delicious too.

And Casey got the margherita, which turned out to be my favorite.  Unlike the weird non-melty soy cheese from Brixx that made us so ill in Charlotte, this was like nothing I have had before.  It was super melty and creamy, and tasted just as good as the real thing!

All my expectations were met, and I am so glad we have a delicious new pizza place in town for when the craving strikes.

Now I just need to find out if they deliver…

Evan Thomas     at 10:27 pm

That is definitely a pizza paradise. Even if I can’t eat it anymore, I love just smelling the fresh crust at a good Italian trattoria.

I am sure that you will not be a total geek on camera :-)

Ashley     at 10:29 pm

omg…that crust looks insaaaaaaaaane!!!!! You sound so happy + excited. :) THURSDAAAAAAAAAAAY

Wishful nals     at 10:32 pm

Looks yum! Your in laws look so sweet. Hope you’re feeling better. I’ve been thinking about you! xo

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 10:41 pm

They don’t deliver, but they do have carry-out, at least at the Dupont Circle location. Their insalata mista is a great starter addition to those olives, which I could eat by the pound. And of course, the pizza is spectacular. Get the potato topping sometime. You will *not* regret it.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 10:41 pm

Oh my god! Too funny, when I went to Old Town the other day, that is exactly where I went for a post-bike lunch. We had the pizza paradiso (tomatoes/mozz) with pesto and sweet peppers added. It was good!

If you like it, you MUST go to Two Amy’s near Wisconsin Ave in DC. It is so freakin’ good, I’m not sure if they have soy cheese though. Their crust is even more impressive! And they have this delicious eggplant sauce that you can have as the base.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) Reply:

There is also a new place called Comet Ping Pong on Conneticut which is also supposed to have unique and delicious pizzas!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) Reply:

It’s New Haven style – which evidently means “charred.” I love the ping pong tables and they use great ingredients, but I personally don’t like their pizza.

Also, I love Two Amy’s pizza, but if you can, go to the porch because the inside is decorated like a bathroom :).

Anna S. @ History Running Girl     at 10:44 pm

That pizza looks delicious! I love places with interesting pizza selections.

Ashley     at 10:58 pm

Piola in Rosslyn and Matchbox in Barrack’s Row and Chinatown are awesome too. I’m not sure if either have soy cheese, but I wouldn’t put it past either of them. Like Laura said, Two Amy’s is great. Pizza Paradiso has been on my “must go to soon” list for too long; thanks for the heads up on the King Street location!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:21 pm

I could eat pizza 5 times a day. That all looks so delicious!

I went for my first vegan cheese effort this past week. I’m not going vegan, but I felt like my diet is becoming a little dairy-focused. :-) So glad there are alternatives for when I don’t want to go without. Thanks for the yummy photos.

Nicole @ yuppie yogini     at 11:24 pm

Mmmm..that looks good. DC has some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. I can’t believe that’s soy cheese–it’s so melty! Brixx’s soy cheese is blegh!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 11:29 pm

Great in-laws are the best! Glad you’re enjoying family time.

Alexis     at 11:32 pm

The cheese looks so amazing; I would be asking if it really was soy!

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 11:33 pm

I’ll have to check out this place when I go up to the DC area for Christmas! :)

Cary     at 11:45 pm

I bet it was Daiya cheese!
My favorite.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 11:47 pm

Diggin’ the red coat + black ‘n’ white scarf – stylin’!

Lani     at 11:53 pm

i was at the d.circle one tonight–so good!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 12:23 am

Margharita is *the* best way to suss out a pizza joint, I think… nothing can hide when it’s about the barest essentials. Yum!

KaraHadley     at 12:24 am

I completely understand your excitement. After months and months without cheesy pizza I nearly screamed/moaned/made other not appropriate for public sounds when I first bit into a slice of Mellow Mushroom pizza with Daiya! Such a great feeling.

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 12:40 am

oh my – what place looks fantastic!!!

Christin L.     at 12:42 am

There is just something about good pizza that is so satisfying!

Kristina @ spabettie     at 1:00 am

I’m looking forward to your video – I’m positive you will do well! :D

the pizza looks SO good… somehow it seems so much better than the gf pizza we had tonight !!

Jessica @ How Sweet     at 6:37 am

That pizza looks unreal!

christina cadden     at 6:43 am

Those pictures make me want to come eat pizza with you! Yummy!

Lauren     at 7:00 am

Finding a delicious Pizza place is priceless. Glad you are enjoying the week with your inlaws.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:04 am

Loving on that pizza. I want them to deliver too – to Chicago possibly?

Little Bookworm     at 7:32 am

The pizzas look amazing. :) The restaurant looks great too!

Rosey Rebecca     at 7:37 am

I went to that restaurant when I visited DC in April, and also wrote a post about it! It was amazing!

I was visiting to see if I wanted to move to DC, and that pizza place just may have persuaded me. :-)

Therese     at 7:42 am

Mmm!!! PIZZA!!! People can have their fancy dinners, for me? I’ll take pizza EVERY DAY! I’m on a hunt to find Toronto’s best pizza, some day I will discover it!

Madeline     at 7:44 am

I went to the Pizza Paradiso in Georgetown a few years ago – so good! I had some sort of pizza with olives on it! You also MUST TRY Two Amy’s in DC – Yum!

Hope     at 7:49 am

That pizza place looks so cute! I love the decor. The pizza’s look incredible! So good! You and Casey are so adorable together. :)

Pure2raw twins     at 8:34 am

Pizza looks great!!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 8:45 am

The first time I lived in DC Pizzeria Paradiso was an absolute favorite. Now that I live here again (I lived in NYC for a few years) I must look into their gluten-free option (I know they recently added one). I think I remember reading that Pizzeria Paradiso uses Chicago Soy Dairy’s Teese for the cheese. Which reminds me, another amazing pizza place in DC is Pete’s Apizza – their crust is totally vegan as is their gluten-free crust, and they also use Teese cheese. A Pete’s Apizza is supposed to open in Arlington soon (it may have already). I have had their gluten-free vegan pizza and loved it.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 8:46 am

Sorry for the double comment – here is my review of Pete’s Apizza: http://www.citylifeeats.com/2010/08/i-went-out-for-pizza-today.html

Thank you for reminding me about Pizzeria Paradiso – I must see their gf options as their toppings were always spectacular.

tina     at 8:55 am

omg, the pizza looks AMAZNG!!! mmm had my first experience with melty soy cheeze on saturday- so delish!!!!

do they offer a gluten free crust too? THAT would fanTASTIC!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 9:05 am

WoW, those pizza options sound and look delicious!!

We need one of those in Mooresville, NC… but I won’t hold my breathe ;)

TheHealthyApron     at 9:05 am

Wow that looks amazing!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman     at 9:10 am

Mmm…that looks great. I live just up the street from there so I’m definitely going to check it out. I’m always on the lookout for a good pizza place.

Kelly     at 9:11 am

That looks delicious!

Brittney     at 9:12 am

They have a location in Georgetown too I think. I’m pretty sure I went there before and remember they had some unique pizza combos on the menu :)

amanda     at 9:29 am

That pizza looks fantastic!

alana (at) the food     at 9:36 am

that crust looks incredible!!!

alana (at) the food     at 9:37 am

that crust look UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!
i could just eat it on its own im sure!

Christy     at 9:37 am

Looks yummy! Glad to see you up and around with a smile on your face!!! Looking forward to seeing your video! I was hoping you made it to the next round!!

Bess @ Bess Be Fit     at 9:49 am

You seem so happy! Can’t wait to see your videos I think they will be great :) That pizza looks outstandingly delicious by the way!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 10:16 am

That does look like delicious pizza. I’m really picky about my pizza so I feel your excitement on finding a place that lives up to expectations.

Amber K     at 10:17 am

Now finding a place that will do a dairy-free cheese that is also soy-free would be awesome!!!

Oh and can the crust be gluten-free and the restaurant know not to cook it near gluten-containing crust?

Ok, now I’m dreaming… :)

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:21 am

So the cravings have now begun…. it all looks delicious!!

Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 10:26 am

Yum! That looks great. :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 10:29 am

wow, that pizza looks amazing! and even sounds good at 10:30 am :)

Miranda     at 10:34 am

Yum, now I am hungry!!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee     at 11:06 am

YUM that looks deeeeeelicious. I heart pizza.

Amy K @ Onehealthypeanut     at 11:21 am

What a cute place! And the pizza look AMAZING! Nice and crusty, just how I like them!!

Emily     at 11:26 am

Hands down, my favorite pizza place in DC! And maybe even the world…So glad they opened one up out near you guys! My fave is the four cheese, which obviously would not be a good fit for you, but I’ve seriously never met a pie I didn’t like at this pizza paradise.

Maryann     at 11:27 am

It looks soooo soooo good.
I’ll take a bit of each.
Where can I get this cheese anybody??
Lancaster County PA GAL

Alyson     at 11:37 am

I have never, ever found a pizza joint with soy cheese. Say hello to the homeschooling mom of seven who has *no* take out options and has to cook every single night. Hello!

Kim H     at 12:16 pm

I am so jealous of your soy cheese pizza! I have had pizza without cheese but miss cheese soooo much!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 12:23 pm

Yum! I’m not vegan, but am pretty surpried how nicely the cheese melted. I’ve seen other people eat soy cheese on pizza and it never looks that good!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils     at 12:37 pm

They do not deliver. Just an FYI. Pizzaria Paradiso is my favorite pizza place in DC. We used to go there all the time – you should check out the one in Georgetown (the original). The basement has a fireplace and is all cozy in the winter. I know you don’t drink, but if you have friends who do who come visit, the beer selection there is fantastic.

Also, I always get the Siciliana. Nice choice :) The salads are fresh and italian as well – you might want to split one to start next time.

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 12:42 pm

Those look so good! It’s a good thing I have a pizza in my freezer ^_^

A Better Me     at 12:53 pm

Those pizzas look DELICIOUS!! Mercy!

Michelle...     at 1:22 pm

YESSS I LOVE Pizzeria Paradiso. The last time I was in DC my boyfriend and I waited about an hour at 8:30pm (!!) at the former mini location in Dupont Circle, but it was so worth the wait. There is nothing like a perfect wood fired pizza crust. I could eat it every day. I wish they would open one in Boston!

Corey - The Runner's Cookie     at 1:52 pm

Oh my. Amazing pizza like that is just the best. Glad to hear you are happy :)

Monica     at 2:05 pm

Wow – that pizza looks amazing!

Finding a great pizza place is key to establishing home in a new town. Some places really mess up this fairly simple dish, but other places hit serious bingo. It is funny, because pizza is such a popular thing for restaurants to create, but so few do it right.

Babs     at 3:17 pm

Yum the pizza looks amazing! I love when the fake cheese looks real :)

I def judge a pizza by the crust and that crust screams eaaaaaaaaaaaaat me

And I too am an avo/olive fan :) both are delicious

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 4:08 pm

There is a new pizza places opening near my work that has vegan options!! St. Louis is slowly becoming for vegetarian and vegan friendly. Love it!

Candice @ChiaSeedMe     at 4:48 pm

You’re so cute!

So glad you got to try it – the pizza looks amaaaazing!!! Several posts I’ve read today have featured pizza, and now I’m seriously craving it. Yours just pushed me over the edge!

I really wish I liked olives, but I just don’t. I’ve never been brave enough to try a whole one bc I don’t like them sliced. They’re pretty though!

emily (a nutritionist eats)     at 4:58 pm

I just saw vegemite at my coop this weekend! Let me know if you ever need some more :)

natalie (the sweets life)     at 3:10 pm

oh my gosh everything about that place seems perfect! I’m a huge fan of going out for pizza (and making it at home…really I’m just a huge pizza fan!!). love that they gave you olives!

Tricia @ Saving Room for Dessert     at 3:18 pm

Looks like I will need to drive the 40+ miles up north to try this pizza! Thanks for taste testing the flavors of the area for us.

Stacey     at 4:15 pm

Holy crust. That pizza looks awesome, especially the crust. Is it weird that sometimes I order pizza from my local pizzaria just for the chewy, golden crust? How many times can I say crust in this comment? Crust. There I’m done :D
Oh and I agree! The ONE time I ordered a soy cheese pizza from Brixx, it totally tore my stomach up :(

Theodora     at 10:49 pm

Faccia Luna, also in Old Town, is pretty good. Not sure about soy cheese though. In D.C. proper, the HANDS DOWN BEST pizza is Matchbox.

restaurant 's-heerenberg     at 8:17 am

You should take part in a contest for one of the most useful
websites on the web. I am going to recommend this blog!

Corinne     at 7:44 am

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will
make certain to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later in life.
I want to encourage yourself to continue your great job, have
a nice afternoon!