Asian Sesame Glazed Brussels Sprouts.

Pop Quiz:  Does anyone know what this alien-like thing is?

Ten points to everyone who guessed a Brussels sprouts stalk!

Before these little balls of joy make their way into steamer bags in your freezer or the little pouches in the produce section, the actually grow on big stalks like this.

I love buying produce in its freshest, least processed form.  Even if it means lugging a giant stick of Brussels sprouts out of Trader Joe’s.  :)  This next recipe is my attempt to convert any of you who are still clinging to childhood fears of this delicious vegetable…

Asian Sesame Glazed Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:

• 15 to 20 Brussels sprouts
  • olive oil
  • 2 tbsp Bragg’s liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 cup brown rice (optional, for serving)

To Prepare:  If you have one of these fun stalks, simply cut the sprouts off at the base.  If you buy yours already loose, you are one step ahead!

Next trim the base of each sprout off and then cut in half.  Lay all halves face down in a big skillet over medium high heat.  Drizzle with a few glugs of olive oil, and some salt and pepper.

You should hear the sprouts start to sizzle and steam.  Let them cook face down for about ten minutes, until you start to get some good browning on the bottoms.  Stir a few times so that all the sprouts are cooked evenly.

While your sprouts are sizzling away on the stove, you can go ahead and make your Asian marinade…

So often here I feel like I am sharing adventurous vegan experiments or multi-step Project Food Blog creations.  But my goal recently is to provide as many “back to the basics” recipes as I do the more advanced.  Hopefully there is something here for everyone.  :)

A simple Asian marinade can be made from three ingredients that should become staples in your pantry – rice vinegar, sesame oil, and soy sauce (liquid aminos are very similar).

Add all three to a small bowl and whisk to combine.

Now back to the sprouts – grab your spoon and get ready to stir.  Once the sprouts are good and browned on the bottoms, pour the marinade over them.  There will be a lot of STEAM!

IMG_4981 (640x426)IMG_4982 (640x427)IMG_4984 (640x427)IMG_4986 (640x427)IMG_4987 (640x427)

Stir the pan quickly so that the liquid from the sauce loosens up the browning on the bottom of the pan, and you get all that great flavor soaking into your sprouts.

I know you thought you didn’t like Brussels sprouts when you were young.  Can you honestly tell me that this doesn’t look good?

Serve on a bed of brown rice (or other grain of your preference)…

And enjoy! :)

Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers     at 6:46 pm

<3 love brussel sprouts! Just roasted some for lunch today myself. As a kid I shied away from them of course thanks to kids' shows telling me that kids don't like them. My dad introduced me to the kind in the freezer section with a "butter sauce" and I was hooked. Now I won't go near that sauce but still consider them one of my fav veggies.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 6:52 pm

Brussels are my favorite veggie of all time, and have been since my teenage years! This recipe looks particularly palate pleasing!!

crystal     at 6:54 pm

Oh if i couldn’t love brussel sprouts more! this looks delish.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 6:55 pm

Mmmm…brussels sprouts really do lend themselves very well to asian flavors, nice idea!

Evan Thomas     at 6:58 pm

I was so taken aback the first time I saw brussel sprouts like that. It’s kind of creepy!
Great recipe!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 6:59 pm

I haven’t had brussel sprouts in AGES! But this has inspired me to try them again!
By the way, I think you do a great mix of advanced and more basic recipes, which great! :D

Kathleen     at 7:02 pm

Brussles sprouts stalks always look so prehistoric, love that! I grew up with a Brussels sprouts hating Dad, so I didn’t try them until late in life. I love them roasted, shredded in salads and soups and now I’m looking forward to trying them like this. They look delicious!

Michelle D     at 7:13 pm

Yeah! I am receiving brussel sprouts in my veggie-share tomorrow! I know what I’m making! I love when your mind melds with mine!

lindsay     at 7:20 pm

Love brussel sprouts – can’t wait to try these!

Janet Oberholtzer     at 7:22 pm

Okay … I am one of those “still clinging to childhood fears of this delicious vegetable” … but you make them sound delicious, so I think I’m going to try this recipe. I think I can, I think I can …

Annie     at 7:30 pm

I love Brussels sprouts! I’ve never thought of giving them an Asian twist. Thanks for the idea!

Angie (Violet Monkey)     at 7:39 pm

LOVE Brussels! I have purchased that same stalk from Trader Joe’s several times this fall already! Yum!

~

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:54 pm

You have me convinced that “glugs of olive oil” is a techinical term they only teach you when you go to culinary school. :)

Lori H     at 8:17 pm

Yum! I love brussel sprouts – thanks for the recipe!

Krystina     at 7:21 pm

I adore brussels sprouts. This looks great!

Jaclyn     at 8:28 pm

Yum! Brussels sprouts are my favorite veg (broccoli is a close second). Maybe next time you have a hankering, you’ll check out my citrus-roasted sprout recipe: http://messybaker.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/citrus-roasted-brussels-sprouts/

I’m definitely going to make these!
=)

bein good to me Reply:

Jaclyn, that recipe also sounds amazing! Looking forward to trying it and bookmarking your blog too. :)
-Lisa

Pure2Raw Twins     at 8:37 pm

Love it!! Brussels sprouts are soooo good with just about anything ;) love the diea of an asian sesame glaze over them – yum!! HUGS

~Lori

Nicole     at 8:43 pm

I love sprouts! I’ve never tried a marinade on them (usually just roast with olive oil), but I will have to try this one. Maybe my husband will finally try them.

I’ll be on the lookout for some tomorrow; I think sprouts are one of the few things left this season at our farmer’s markets!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black     at 8:48 pm

I love brussels sprouts in all forms- this looks like an awesome new way to try them!

Janine     at 8:50 pm

I am one of those who have steered clear of Brussels sprouts simply because of their reputation. I can’t say I remember ever trying them! Now that I’m an adult, I’ve been wanting to experiment with them, but haven’t know how! This recipe sounds great, but I was wondering if you can think of anything I could use as a substitute for sesame oil? My son has a sesame allergy and I’d love for him to try these, too.

bein good to me     at 9:06 pm

I am a HUGE fan of brussel sprouts! I’ve got a big ol’ bag of them in my fridge and I wasn’t interested in sauteeing them with garlic, olive oil and salt + pepper so I am thoroughly excited about trying out your method since I’ve got those three ingredients already here. Thanks!
-Lisa

colleen     at 9:09 pm

Just bought some brussel sprouts at the store. Well have to give this a try instead of just roasting them.

Kim     at 9:24 pm

OH YUM!! I am sooooo making these this week… providing i can find brussel sprouts :)
YUMMM!!!

A Better Me     at 9:36 pm

I LOVE brussel sprouts! My Mom used to make them just for me during the holidays :) I miss her. Yours look super yummy…gonna have to try this recipe for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanee     at 8:52 pm

I absolutely LOVE brussel sprouts. I actually had some in my last post! I will definitly try them this way. Thanks!

tina     at 10:05 pm

mmmm these are my fav! love it! i’ll have to try your take on them!

ps, super bummed about the next food buzz star…. you totally deserved to WIN the whole thing!

Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)     at 10:41 pm

I have no idea if I like brussels sprouts or not. Isn’t that terrible? I need to change that.

Julie     at 10:52 pm

YUM!! This looks delicious. I’m going to make it tomorrow night. Thanks Emily!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman     at 11:28 pm

This might be what it takes to get my husband to eat brussels sprouts. Finally.

Susan     at 1:13 am

I love brussel sprouts and get tired of having them roasted all the time. This will be a nice change.

Ally     at 1:41 am

I love brussel sprouts! I usually sautee or roast w/ EVOO, garlic, s&p…so this would be such an awesome change! I love asian food.

Fallon     at 1:53 am

YUM! I actually just bought the brussel sprout tree from Trader Joe’s today. They are HUGE! I usually just roast them but I’m going to try them with your Asian glaze. I love a good change.

Namaste Gurl     at 2:24 am

These look AMAZING, Em :) I also go italian- olive oil, garlic gold italian herb, salt, pepper, onion- when making sprouts, but never used an asian marinade.

Loving the simple recipes– they’re so handy!

Meagan     at 2:25 am

Brussel sprouts are my favorite. I’m jealous!

JL goes Vegan     at 8:00 am

I love brussels sprouts and will definitely try this recipe! Love your “back to the basics” posts!

jen     at 8:41 am

They look amazing and easy to prepare!!! I’ve never had brussels sprouts before, but I have been seeing them all over the blog world long enough, I’m going to buy some today!!!

Jen

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 10:38 am

You make brussel sprouts look really yummy!

Meghan     at 11:58 am

I agree! People need to try them again because they are so delicious and I would have never thought that I would like them. Thanks for the recipe!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 12:24 pm

Confession: I have yet to try brussel sprouts. I hear you either love em’ or hate em’ so I’m weary to become the latter :( But I think you’re recipe will certainly get me liking them…right? Confidence!

Maryann     at 12:53 pm

I never really like brussels sprouts kind of bitter I think. It’s been awhile. I’ll try this might make 1/2 or so just to try it and it’sjust us 2. I have the ingredients but the sprouts.
This could be good at my party in 2 weeks. Oh my it’s getting close and so not ready. Haven’t baked a thing.
Blessings to all

Those look soo good! I definitely a brussel sprouts fan. No one else in my family would eat them, but I think they’re yummy!

Maya     at 1:01 pm

Is it strange to say I miss brussels sprouts? Cause I do. The dining hall doesn’t have them, which is most unfortunate (but I suppose, given most people’s dislike of them, understandable!)

Lindsey @ Enjoying Healthy Foods     at 1:04 pm

Looks wonderful!!!!

Dee     at 2:18 pm

oh dear me! I have got to try this!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista)     at 3:29 pm

I love sprouts! I just had some at a restaurant with a honey cider glaze- so good. But this looks delicious too!

Miranda     at 3:43 pm

I have just recently discovered my love affair with fresh sprouts. My mom made them when we were kids and I liked them then, but never made them as an adult, shame, I know. Then I discovered them in the produce section and have been roasting them every chance I get!

Rachel     at 4:05 pm

Brussels sprouts might just be my favorite vegetable. It’s too bad it’s so hard to find them on the stalk like that!
Sounds like a delicious recipe – definitely going to give it a try.

Katherine     at 4:37 pm

My mother just gave me a huge stalk like that and when I brought it home, my boyfriend was SO weirded out. He had never seen Brussels Sprouts in their “natural” form and was really amused by it.

We both LOVE this veggie–my favorite way is to give them a good, old-fashioned roasting with olive oil, salt and pepper. Actually, that is my favorite way to eat most veggies! The other day I roasted Brussels sprouts and fennel together and it turned out so yummy.

Lizzy     at 4:47 pm

I love brussels! I have those bowls!
Random question- did you get a new camera? I remember you used to have a G11 (that’s what I have). Your pics look amazing lately. Can the G11 do all that?

Hey Lizzy! I did get a new camera. :) I got a Canon Rebel t2i, but I also still use the G11. These pictures were with the rebel though. If you know how to use the manual controls, the G11 can most definitely do very similar pictures!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest     at 5:07 pm

I love brussel sprouts too and only recently did I discover that I like them (I think the brussel sprout haters out there scares me away from them initially).

I saw a brussel sprout stalk in the store the other day and until then, had no clue they grew like that.

That recipe sounds delicious!

Karen @ Gravy Training     at 6:25 pm

I love me some brussels sprouts! These look so delicious! Isn’t sesame oil the best? It’s like liquid happiness.

I had no idea brussels sprouts grew like that! I thought it was some sort of fancy “brussels sprout log” appetizer somebody had made :D

Literally obsessed with sesame oil.

Jenny     at 6:40 pm

YUMMM! Who knew I would grow up to be a brussels sprouts lover!?

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:51 pm

Hahaha, am I not the only person who can make a meal out of brussels sprouts?! Amazing.

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 2:15 pm

i LOVE brussel sprouts- they are so good!

Kareen     at 9:39 pm

Hi Emily,
Congrats for Project Food Blog! You were an awesome participant and I loved every single entry.
I would also like to thank you for sharing the brussels sprouts recipe. I made it tonight and it was a real success. I made it as a side dish with some veggie/tofu rice. It was simple, yet super tasty!!
Have a good week!

So glad you liked it! :)

melinda     at 10:17 am

I love sprouts this is a great recipe Thanks

Katie     at 2:48 pm

these look AH-MAZ-ING!! Brussels sprouts are one of my fave veggies. I showed this post to Kirt and even he said they look yummy. Going to make them asap!

Weights at Lunch « In my tummy     at 8:52 pm

[...] I went back to look at it and realized that I had all the ingredients in my cabinets. So I made her Asian Sesame Glazed Brussels Sprouts to go with the [...]

Snow hiking and Brussels cookies « reciPeas & musings     at 11:32 pm

[...] I definitely did not make Brussels cookies. I made Brussels sprouts a la the Front Burner and they were very, very delicious. I ate them with an egg and fakin’ bacon sandwich, because [...]

Michelle @ Housewife in the Raw     at 3:52 pm

I just made this and ate the entire pan for lunch today. I never knew I liked brussels sprouts! Thanks for a fantastic recipe.

The day I learned that I like brussels sprouts « Housewife in the Raw     at 4:09 pm

[...] the Raw) in Uncategorized. Leave a Comment I like them.  I really like them.  Who knew?  I used this easy, peasy recipe from the Front Burner blog and ate them over brown rice.  I finished the whole pan in one sitting [...]

Halley     at 4:30 pm

I just made these and served them with quinoa- so delish!

Jen     at 9:45 am

So delicious! Found your blog through a friend and I’m always looking for quick and EASY vegetarian recipes as I don’t have a lot of time to cook. I love brussels sprouts and had everything already at hand to make this dish. So fast, so good. Thank you. This one’s a new staple dish of mine, for sure!

So glad you found the blog – welcome! Glad you’re enjoying the food. :)

Melissa     at 7:30 pm

Just wanted to tell you these are seriously amazing. I’ve always liked brussels sprouts but my dad has always hated them. His reaction went from “oh no brussels sprouts” to “these aren’t bad” to “when are you going to make these again!?” Thanks again for the awesome recipes Emily!!!

Liz     at 1:35 pm

I love this recipe! Thank you for all of your hard work testing, photographing, and posting these. I know that when I make something from your site, it’ll turn out well (not always the case with blogs!)

marissa     at 2:21 pm

If I don’t have rice wine vinegar, what’s the best substitute? Many people online suggest apple cider vinegar and white vinegar. Thoughts?

I think that combo would work well!