Project Food Blog: A Look Back.

As many of you already know, my Project Food Blog run came to an end this week.  If I am being honest, I was a little surprised when I first saw the results.  I thought my Pumpkin Pomegranate Cake was pretty badass.  But looking through all of the other entries, there was so much amazing talent in the top 24.  It was truly an honor to have even made it that far.

I started Project Food Blog way back on September 19th, and to tell you the truth I almost didn’t enter.  I have never been good at “putting myself out there” and I have a very intense fear of failure.  But even though I didn’t make it to the end, I still feel like it was a huge success.  Making it to the top 24 in a field that started out in the thousands was quite an achievement, and I found myself both personally and professionally challenged along the way.

For the past two months, my weekends and Sunday afternoons have been consumed by cooking, photographing, eating, breathing, and living Project Food Blog.  So for this Sunday, I thought we could take a look back…

Challenge 1: Ready, Set Blog

The Next Food Blog Star?

Challenge 2: The Classics

Taking on Classic Thai Green Curry

Challenge 3: Luxury Dinner Party

A Fall Farmer’s Market Feast (won the Reader’s Choice Award!)

Challenge 4: Picture Perfect

Harvest Root Vegetable Pie

Challenge 5: Recipe Remix

Indian Naan Pizza with Homemade Paneer Cheese (won the Reader’s Choice Award!)

IMG_1928 (640x480)

Challenge 6: Road Trip

Meze on the Mall

Challenge 7: Video 411

Kale and Roasted Root Vegetable Soup: The Video

Challenge 8: Piece of Cake

Pumpkin, Fig, & Pomegranate Upside-Down Cake (with Pumpkin Cinnamon Spiced Vegan Ice Cream)

Looking back through all of the posts, it’s crazy to think that this has been a 12-week journey.  I can’t thank you all enough for all the votes, love, and support.  I am so glad that I decided to be part of Project Food Blog, and I can feel how much I have grown since the beginning of the competition.

I’ve become a better cook, a better photographer, a better writer, and a better member of the food blog community.  In the end, I won a lot more than I lost.

christina cadden     at 7:39 pm

Congrats! I am sorry it came to end but I loved all your posts!

grocery goddess jen     at 5:31 pm

Emily, I was also surprised (and saddened!) that you didn’t make it to the next round. I’ve looked at your blog here and there prior to the foodbuzz contest, but I’ve now become a regular reader! I voted for you each week, and I think it’s an AMAZING achievement to have made it this far! You are awesome and I loved all of your entries!

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 5:41 pm

Congrats on how far you made it!! I enjoyed watching you make your way through the challenge and I’m sad I won’t be able to anymore!

Emilie     at 5:41 pm

Congratulations on making it so far! I love the fact that you were able to highlight such delicious *vegetarian* dishes!

gabriella @ embracement     at 5:41 pm

I was surprised you didn’t make it to the next round, but you got so far! I’ve been reading your blog for a while and looked forward to the entries each week. You did a great job :)

Laine @ Beets, Butter and Mountaintops     at 5:45 pm

Bummer! That cake looked amazing!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 5:46 pm

Well done on making it as far as you did! I was really surprised you didn’t get through to the next round, cos you’re right- that cake was pretty badass! :P
But anyways, CONGRATS on doing so well! :D

Kath     at 5:49 pm

Congratulations my friend!!

I’m sitting here trying to pick a favorite post. Hard choice. I ALMOST picked your video, but I think the stuffed pumpkin was my favorite :)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 5:49 pm

I was also surprised and sad when I saw the results! However, you did amazing in the competition and I am so proud of you :)

Katie     at 5:56 pm

I found your blog through the contest page and I’m bummed out you didn’t advance. I’ve made the kale soup recipe twice since you posted it!

Kathleen     at 5:57 pm

I was a reader long before PFB, but became so inspired by your creativity throughout the project. I looked forward to your entries and progression through the weeks. To tackle your entry during the most difficult weeks due to your accident, showed pure will and determination. I was so bummed that you didn’t make it to round 9, but proud to be a reader along for your ride. Top 25 is awesome! You and your blog rock, no title or lack of takes that away from you. Great job Emily!

JL goes Vegan     at 6:00 pm

You are a class-act! I was stunned that you did not advance. I love how you are embracing the journey and what you learned. For those of us who are faithful readers before, during and after PFB, I loved every one of your posts. I learned something each time (which is why I read your blog!) Thank you for your incredible efforts for each entry. Your readers appreciate you!

Tamicka     at 6:05 pm

I was suprised when I saw that you didn’t make it to the next round of project food blog. But I was happy that you made it through several challenges and we got to see your awesome cooking style and techniques. I know that I couldn’t wait to recreate soem of the meals that you made. Also watching you step out of your box made me want to do the same in my kitchen. I will continue to read your blog daily (cuz I’m a dork like that)and become inspired more as a cook. Thanks Emily for all the delicious food :-)

What is dorkier – reading a blog, or writing a blog? :) Thank YOU for reading!

Katherine     at 6:08 pm

Great job, Emily! I started reading your blog just around the time when you started culinary school and I have been a huge fan ever since. Your writing technique, frankness, sincerity, and RECIPES have made your blog one of my very favorites. I wish all the best for you! Keep up the great work :)

Thanks for reading for so long! :)

Madeleine @ Stepping to the Bright Side     at 6:12 pm

What an awesome way to look at the challenge. I also have an intense fear of failure- it’s nice to know others feel the same but are still able to push through despite it all. Very inspiring. I voted for ya! And can’t wait for more :)

Sana     at 6:17 pm

I am so happy that I have started reading your blog and met you in person!
You are awesome!

Olivia     at 6:18 pm

listen Emily… Ur my favorite blogger! Therefore, to me you are The Next Food Blog Star!
DONE!

& P.S. ur the Funniest tweeter lol

Happy Holidays!

Olivia

Liz @ Blog is the New Black     at 6:19 pm

Congrats on making it as far as you did. A+ for effort!

Janna     at 6:26 pm

I really loved all of your entries and voted for you every time! I enjoyed how you always managed to keep it simple, yet at the same time very special. You never showed off or made something way too fancy but it always looked amazing and delicious!

I was really surprised you didn’t advance to the next round, but congrats on making it this far!!!

Olivia     at 6:27 pm

Listen Emily… UR MY FAVORITE BLOGGER & MY Food Blog Star!
((omg and the person w/ the funniest tweets!!)
Congratulations.
DONE!

lol but on a more serious note, I know you don’t like to put yourself ‘out there’ – - but I feel like ur the most sincere and personal blogger. that’s my opinion =]

Thanks for all the deeeelicious recipes!

Olivia

Thanks Olivia! :)

Lee     at 6:37 pm

I was really surprised when I saw that you didn’t advance to the next round. I honestly thought you were going to win the entire thing!

That said, being in the top 24 of 1000 people is amazing and you have lots to be proud of!

Rachel @ EatMoreMeatLess     at 6:43 pm

Congrats on how far you went, you should be proud – they were wonderful posts :)

Betsy     at 7:03 pm

You certainly were a fierce competitor and this post sums up your efforts beautifully! You should be nothing but proud.

Carol     at 7:25 pm

Sorry to hear you didn’t advance. Your recipes looked great, and I am very glad to read about your positive attitude! Much continued success!

Janet Oberholtzer     at 7:29 pm

Congrats on doing the project (failure is not in whether you win or not, failure would be never starting)

But seriously, I thought the upside-down cake would be an automatic win! It’s totally badass. I have all the ingredients now and plan on making it this week.

Yaay I hope you like the cake!

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 7:30 pm

Sorry you didn’t make it through. But I love that you can see the things you have walked away with from this amazing challenge.

I told my mom about the pumpkin pomegranate cake and she insisted we make it for Christmas :-)

Emily     at 7:38 pm

I was shocked you didn’t make it through. I think you should have. You are one of my favorites. You are just yourself. Keep it up!

Brittney     at 7:39 pm

I’m shocked you didn’t make it to the end! Your recipes, photos, and writing was completely outstanding. I’m glad you entered the contest. I bet you have a whole new group of people who know and love your blog from being in the contest :)

SAL     at 7:58 pm

I think your next “challenge” should be to start submitting your recipes to vegetarian magazines and the food section of the Washington Post. There are lots of people out here looking for healthy, delicious recipes. I’ll be on the lookout for your byline! You might want to check out this blog: the author went from blogger to cookbook writer and is now doing some cooking shows in her hometown: http://www.indianasapplepie.com/

What a cool blog – thanks for the link. You definitely had me poking around the WP website yesterday. :) Their food section is rough – I think they need me! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:28 pm

You went such a long way in this contest!!! You did a great job – congrats on making it so far!

Lisa     at 8:30 pm

Congrats on making it so far!!! I really loved reading all of your competition entries – they were so creative and you should be very proud!!

shauna     at 8:31 pm

I was shocked you didn’t advance. Your amazing Em :-)

Ashley     at 8:32 pm

So proud of you!! You did an outstanding job. ALL of your food for this contest was badass. Great job Emily. :) xoxo

Lauren     at 8:47 pm

I am so surprised myself! Wow, you had such an amazing run. In my humble opinion, you ARE the next Food Blogger Star.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 9:04 pm

All of your entries were absolutely brilliant! :)

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 9:06 pm

You definitely had some great entries! You did fabulous!

A Better Me     at 9:37 pm

You did do an AWESOME job! :)

Ali     at 9:58 pm

I had so much fun reading your entry’s the last few months. Congrats on making it so far, it really is a great accomplishment!!

Jillian@ Reshape Your Life     at 10:15 pm

I’m so sad that you didn’t make it to the next round. I thought for SURE you would. That recipe looks AMAZING! But you did SO WELL the whole competition, that is definitely something to be proud of! You rock!

Gabi     at 10:41 pm

I was so disappointed (and shocked) to see you didn’t make it through! I really loved all your posts. You got so far though – congrats!

Bridget     at 10:52 pm

Awesome job Emily!!!! I loved all your entries, we made the harvest root vegetable pie for Thanksgiving and I plan to make the pumpkin pomegranate cake for Christmas, both are just spectacular!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Oh yum – I love that pie. :)

courtney     at 11:14 pm

Hi Emily! I just wanted to say that I am so glad you ended up entering Project Food Blog, because it is how I discovered your blog! I am now a daily reader, and have been reading up on your history too. I am sad you didn’t make the next round (you had my vote!) but I look forward to seeing where life takes you next. Congratulations on making it as far as you did; you deserve it!

The best part of the contests was getting new wonderful readers like you. Thank you!

Allison     at 11:33 pm

Congrats on getting as far as you did in the competition! You did amazing! I’m making your Pumpkin Pomegranate cake for a party this week and can’t wait.

Abby     at 11:59 pm

I’ve been reading your blog and cooking your delicious recipes for about a year now and I wanted to finally comment and thank you for it all. Also, I made your pomegranate pumpkin upside down cake yesterday and it was fabulous! Thank you for having an amazing blog and being such an inspirational woman.

ahh so fun that you made the cake! Hope it turned out well. :)

kellie     at 12:09 am

hi emily!
like everyone else, i was also shocked you didnt advance! . . . but all i can figure is that since the next challenge had something to do with going out to a restaurant, everyone just wanted to keep you in the kitchen ‘cooking for us’ :) your recipes are amazing and far better than any restaurant!! I definitely would prefer ‘emily’s kitchen’ anyday!
thanks for everything and congrats on your success!!

best comment ever. :)

Meghan     at 12:29 am

I think we all benefited from you being in the contest because you gave us such unique recipes to try! Thanks Emily!

Lisa     at 12:53 am

I was disappointed not to see you continue. Your cake looked amazing. I started following Project Food Blog about a month ago and discovered your blog with the kale soup video. Since then I have been hooked on your blog and will continue to be an avid follower.

Namaste Gurl     at 12:55 am

Loved all your cooking projects– I SO bookmarked a lot of them. have a good evening, Emily!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life     at 12:05 am

I’m sorry you didn’t make the cut :( You’re absolutely right though, getting as far as you did was absolutely awesome!

Rosemary     at 9:30 am

Oh Emily,I cannot believe you didnt advance to next round..no fair!! But congrats on going so far.You definitely are one of the best and now you can move on to bigger, better things! Just the beginning…

Therese     at 8:51 am

Congrats on making it as far as you did! I voted for every single one of your entries and tried the naan pizza at home to GREAT success! My boyfriend declared it his favourite meal that we have ever made together!

I love that you made the pizza – that was one of my favorites too. :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 8:56 am

Congratulations for all of your achievements! All of your recipes were fabulous and I can’t wait to see what else you have up your sleeve, regardless of the Project Food Blog.

Keep it up! :D

Hope     at 9:04 am

I am sorry that you didn’t advance in the competition but I think you should be so proud of yourself! Congrats on your accomplishments! You have some incredible recipes and I can’t wait to see what you will come up with next! :)

Marika     at 9:43 am

So sorry to hear you didn’t get into the next round! All your project posts were really well-done– the picnic you had on the Mall looked soooo good!

KellyC     at 11:53 am

Emily, I’m sad too! Although there were some pretty fancy recipes in that last round, your upside down cake is the only one I bought the ingredients for this past week. I have never cooked with pomegranate or figs but your recipes and style of writing give me encouragement to try new things and cook with more natural, seasonal foods. I made a butternut squash, pumpkin, black bean dish this weekend based on your challenge 3 entry. Keep blogging.

Leanne     at 12:04 pm

I’m really bummed to hear you didn’t make it through… I voted my little patootie off for you!

I’m happy to see though, that you are being happy you had the experience…. being in the top 24 is awesome! You should be so proud of yourself!

Be grateful for all the wonderful things happening in your life! :) you can run again, you survived getting hit by a car, you have a husband who loves you and two puppers that I wish I had ;) hehehe

To be honest, I was really sad that you didn’t make it into the next round. In fact, if I’m totally honest, I was quite sad when each of my favorite bloggers were knocked out. The competition is fierce!

I do still have some faves in there, and I’m still voting. But I just wanted to say Congrulations!!!!! For everything you have done. :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 12:42 pm

loved all of your entries emily (especially my dad, who couldn’t stop raving over the pom cake!) what a great attitude you have, and looking forward to see what else you will be creating for the holidays :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 2:06 pm

I’m so glad that you DID enter – your entries were so fantastic and I loved following you.

Elizabeth     at 2:17 pm

Emily, I too was very surprised you didn’t make this last round of Project Food Blog. But I am soooo glad you entered. I have enjoyed many of your creations including: Harvest Root Vegetable Pie (I’ve made a couple of times now), Kale & Root Veg Soup, and Indian Naan Pizza. ALL are fantastic recipes. On Christmas I will be making and enjoying your Pumpkin, Fig and Pom Cake. I can hardly wait! (Xmas marks the end of my one year without sugar. I’ve been thinking about what to make/eat to celebrate. When I saw your cake recipe I knew it was IT.) You are a fabulous chef and I am so lucky to have found your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Maryann     at 2:52 pm

Emily,
You indeed have grown and so have your readers.
I look forward everyday or so to see what you have blogged whether it’s a reflection or a delicious recipe. Keep persuing your goal in life wherever it leads you.
Blessings

Colleen     at 3:06 pm

Thank you for linking to your past posts, Emily. I had forgotten about your delicious looking vegetable pie. I think we’ll have that for dinner this week. Congratulations on making it so far in the competition!

susan fine     at 4:34 pm

wow — so much incredible effort! and what lovely food. i really wanted you to win and further spread the “making healthy the new normal” word, but i think you are doing that anyway! i love your ability to show gratitude and remain optimistic in situations that might initially feel disappointing — i.e. all that you gained through your inspired participation. looking forward to making some of your recipes and now, after seeing your cake, i am seeing pomegrante seed everywhere! had them in a salad at a friend’s place the other night.

Maynard Holcombe     at 9:03 pm

Congratulations Em….top 24 in the entire country is awesome, as is your blog. Keep on cooking, running, writing and growing, and know that you are much loved in Cinci.

Thanks Dad!

Rachel @ FitFunandFabulous     at 5:35 pm

Loved following your posts through this series. You are so very talented!

Tracy Auerbach     at 6:11 pm

Hi Emily–I discovered your blog through the Project Food Blog Challenge and am now a regular reader. I voted for you in the last challenge and am disappointed didn’t advance, but am so glad that you entered. I made your Kale and Roasted Root Vegetable Soup for my vegetarian (me) and non-vegetarian (my daughter and husband) family, and everyone loved it! We’ve added the recipe to our recipe book and will make it again and again. Thanks so much for putting yourself out there in your blog and in the Challenge. I do not generally love to cook, but your blog and your food have inspired me.

Katie @ Shared Bites     at 6:12 pm

I echo the congrats of other readers – you had amazing entries! I voted for you and Spicy Green Mango (b/c MAN do I love Harry Potter), and I was shocked that neither of you moved on! Great job being a gracious non-winner.

Renee     at 7:58 pm

I too was surprised you didn’t move on. As an experienced cook, I find your recipes do be “doable” vs. some of the more “out there” stuff that you really need to know what you’re doing to be able to make them successfully. Maybe it’s my taste, but hardly any of the people I voted for advanced. The recipe that won Reader’s Choice looked lovely, but pretty labor intensive and I liked yours because it looked great, had few ingredients, and didn’t take a long time to put together.

I want to make your Pom cake, but they didn’t have fig preserves at my local store (and I didn’t want to drive 30 mins across town to Whole Foods.) So….I bought some dried figs (2 kinds) and I was wondering if I chop them up, add some liquid, maybe a little agave, and cook them down into a fake preserve? Think it will work?

Thank you so much – that means a lot, as that is exactly what I strive to do. As for the figs, I definitely think that will work. Just make sure you have ENOUGH of the preserves mixture – you want about the size of a small jar of jelly – maybe a cup?

Renee Reply:

I bought plenty of dried figs (love that bulk aisle!) I’m going to cook them and freeze what I don’t use. I’m hoping to make this for Christmas as well…if it turns out. My sister and I baked this weekend and made a fruitcake that had gumdrops in it. It sounded good, and looked great…until we tried to cut it in slices and it crumbled into a million pieces.

iamafeeder.net » On Friends & Pho – Mien Tay, Shoreditch     at 9:16 pm

[...] Good Wine, and a Bad Girl Korean American Mommy Le Grand Fromage Spicy Green Mango The Cuisinerd The Front Burner You Fed a Baby Chili? Z Tasty [...]

Sara @ Baking and Wine     at 2:20 am

Aw. The Indian Naan pizza was when I started reading your blog. I’m so glad you progressed as far as you did! Your last post had my vote and I agree it was completely badass!

You did great girl!

Thanks Sara!

Lauren     at 1:59 pm

Emily, I was shocked too!! I definitely bookmarked that recipe when I read your post. Thanks for all the delicious recipes and fun posts :)

Laura (starloz)     at 8:10 pm

i’m sorry you didn’t make it, i loved all your recipes