For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Project Food Blog: A Look Back.

As many of you already know, my Project Food Blog run came to an end this week.  If I am being honest, I was a little surprised when I first saw the results.  I thought my Pumpkin Pomegranate Cake was pretty badass.  But looking through all of the other entries, there was so much amazing talent in the top 24.  It was truly an honor to have even made it that far.

I started Project Food Blog way back on September 19th, and to tell you the truth I almost didn’t enter.  I have never been good at “putting myself out there” and I have a very intense fear of failure.  But even though I didn’t make it to the end, I still feel like it was a huge success.  Making it to the top 24 in a field that started out in the thousands was quite an achievement, and I found myself both personally and professionally challenged along the way.

For the past two months, my weekends and Sunday afternoons have been consumed by cooking, photographing, eating, breathing, and living Project Food Blog.  So for this Sunday, I thought we could take a look back…

Challenge 1: Ready, Set Blog

The Next Food Blog Star?

Challenge 2: The Classics

Taking on Classic Thai Green Curry

Challenge 3: Luxury Dinner Party

A Fall Farmer’s Market Feast (won the Reader’s Choice Award!)

Challenge 4: Picture Perfect

Harvest Root Vegetable Pie

Challenge 5: Recipe Remix

Indian Naan Pizza with Homemade Paneer Cheese (won the Reader’s Choice Award!)

IMG_1928 (640x480)

Challenge 6: Road Trip

Meze on the Mall

Challenge 7: Video 411

Kale and Roasted Root Vegetable Soup: The Video

Challenge 8: Piece of Cake

Pumpkin, Fig, & Pomegranate Upside-Down Cake (with Pumpkin Cinnamon Spiced Vegan Ice Cream)

Looking back through all of the posts, it’s crazy to think that this has been a 12-week journey.  I can’t thank you all enough for all the votes, love, and support.  I am so glad that I decided to be part of Project Food Blog, and I can feel how much I have grown since the beginning of the competition.

I’ve become a better cook, a better photographer, a better writer, and a better member of the food blog community.  In the end, I won a lot more than I lost.

Therese     at 8:51 am

Congrats on making it as far as you did! I voted for every single one of your entries and tried the naan pizza at home to GREAT success! My boyfriend declared it his favourite meal that we have ever made together!

I love that you made the pizza – that was one of my favorites too. :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 8:56 am

Congratulations for all of your achievements! All of your recipes were fabulous and I can’t wait to see what else you have up your sleeve, regardless of the Project Food Blog.

Keep it up! :D

Hope     at 9:04 am

I am sorry that you didn’t advance in the competition but I think you should be so proud of yourself! Congrats on your accomplishments! You have some incredible recipes and I can’t wait to see what you will come up with next! :)

Marika     at 9:43 am

So sorry to hear you didn’t get into the next round! All your project posts were really well-done– the picnic you had on the Mall looked soooo good!

KellyC     at 11:53 am

Emily, I’m sad too! Although there were some pretty fancy recipes in that last round, your upside down cake is the only one I bought the ingredients for this past week. I have never cooked with pomegranate or figs but your recipes and style of writing give me encouragement to try new things and cook with more natural, seasonal foods. I made a butternut squash, pumpkin, black bean dish this weekend based on your challenge 3 entry. Keep blogging.

Leanne     at 12:04 pm

I’m really bummed to hear you didn’t make it through… I voted my little patootie off for you!

I’m happy to see though, that you are being happy you had the experience…. being in the top 24 is awesome! You should be so proud of yourself!

Be grateful for all the wonderful things happening in your life! :) you can run again, you survived getting hit by a car, you have a husband who loves you and two puppers that I wish I had ;) hehehe

To be honest, I was really sad that you didn’t make it into the next round. In fact, if I’m totally honest, I was quite sad when each of my favorite bloggers were knocked out. The competition is fierce!

I do still have some faves in there, and I’m still voting. But I just wanted to say Congrulations!!!!! For everything you have done. :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 12:42 pm

loved all of your entries emily (especially my dad, who couldn’t stop raving over the pom cake!) what a great attitude you have, and looking forward to see what else you will be creating for the holidays :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 2:06 pm

I’m so glad that you DID enter – your entries were so fantastic and I loved following you.

Elizabeth     at 2:17 pm

Emily, I too was very surprised you didn’t make this last round of Project Food Blog. But I am soooo glad you entered. I have enjoyed many of your creations including: Harvest Root Vegetable Pie (I’ve made a couple of times now), Kale & Root Veg Soup, and Indian Naan Pizza. ALL are fantastic recipes. On Christmas I will be making and enjoying your Pumpkin, Fig and Pom Cake. I can hardly wait! (Xmas marks the end of my one year without sugar. I’ve been thinking about what to make/eat to celebrate. When I saw your cake recipe I knew it was IT.) You are a fabulous chef and I am so lucky to have found your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Maryann     at 2:52 pm

Emily,
You indeed have grown and so have your readers.
I look forward everyday or so to see what you have blogged whether it’s a reflection or a delicious recipe. Keep persuing your goal in life wherever it leads you.
Blessings

Colleen     at 3:06 pm

Thank you for linking to your past posts, Emily. I had forgotten about your delicious looking vegetable pie. I think we’ll have that for dinner this week. Congratulations on making it so far in the competition!

susan fine     at 4:34 pm

wow — so much incredible effort! and what lovely food. i really wanted you to win and further spread the “making healthy the new normal” word, but i think you are doing that anyway! i love your ability to show gratitude and remain optimistic in situations that might initially feel disappointing — i.e. all that you gained through your inspired participation. looking forward to making some of your recipes and now, after seeing your cake, i am seeing pomegrante seed everywhere! had them in a salad at a friend’s place the other night.

Maynard Holcombe     at 9:03 pm

Congratulations Em….top 24 in the entire country is awesome, as is your blog. Keep on cooking, running, writing and growing, and know that you are much loved in Cinci.

Thanks Dad!

Rachel @ FitFunandFabulous     at 5:35 pm

Loved following your posts through this series. You are so very talented!

Tracy Auerbach     at 6:11 pm

Hi Emily–I discovered your blog through the Project Food Blog Challenge and am now a regular reader. I voted for you in the last challenge and am disappointed didn’t advance, but am so glad that you entered. I made your Kale and Roasted Root Vegetable Soup for my vegetarian (me) and non-vegetarian (my daughter and husband) family, and everyone loved it! We’ve added the recipe to our recipe book and will make it again and again. Thanks so much for putting yourself out there in your blog and in the Challenge. I do not generally love to cook, but your blog and your food have inspired me.

Katie @ Shared Bites     at 6:12 pm

I echo the congrats of other readers – you had amazing entries! I voted for you and Spicy Green Mango (b/c MAN do I love Harry Potter), and I was shocked that neither of you moved on! Great job being a gracious non-winner.

Renee     at 7:58 pm

I too was surprised you didn’t move on. As an experienced cook, I find your recipes do be “doable” vs. some of the more “out there” stuff that you really need to know what you’re doing to be able to make them successfully. Maybe it’s my taste, but hardly any of the people I voted for advanced. The recipe that won Reader’s Choice looked lovely, but pretty labor intensive and I liked yours because it looked great, had few ingredients, and didn’t take a long time to put together.

I want to make your Pom cake, but they didn’t have fig preserves at my local store (and I didn’t want to drive 30 mins across town to Whole Foods.) So….I bought some dried figs (2 kinds) and I was wondering if I chop them up, add some liquid, maybe a little agave, and cook them down into a fake preserve? Think it will work?

Thank you so much – that means a lot, as that is exactly what I strive to do. As for the figs, I definitely think that will work. Just make sure you have ENOUGH of the preserves mixture – you want about the size of a small jar of jelly – maybe a cup?

Renee Reply:

I bought plenty of dried figs (love that bulk aisle!) I’m going to cook them and freeze what I don’t use. I’m hoping to make this for Christmas as well…if it turns out. My sister and I baked this weekend and made a fruitcake that had gumdrops in it. It sounded good, and looked great…until we tried to cut it in slices and it crumbled into a million pieces.

iamafeeder.net » On Friends & Pho – Mien Tay, Shoreditch     at 9:16 pm

[…] Good Wine, and a Bad Girl Korean American Mommy Le Grand Fromage Spicy Green Mango The Cuisinerd The Front Burner You Fed a Baby Chili? Z Tasty […]

Sara @ Baking and Wine     at 2:20 am

Aw. The Indian Naan pizza was when I started reading your blog. I’m so glad you progressed as far as you did! Your last post had my vote and I agree it was completely badass!

You did great girl!

Thanks Sara!

Lauren     at 1:59 pm

Emily, I was shocked too!! I definitely bookmarked that recipe when I read your post. Thanks for all the delicious recipes and fun posts :)

Laura (starloz)     at 8:10 pm

i’m sorry you didn’t make it, i loved all your recipes

running shoes