Ready to Run.

It has been exactly 48 days since my car accident.  Forty eight days since the last time I laced up my running shoes.  My last run, in fact, was actually just hours prior to stepping out into the street and being met by a Chevy Tahoe.  A quick 3 miler in the pouring rain with my dogs – had I known at the time what was to come, I would have kept running for hours.

IMG_1971 (480x640)

The past few weeks have been a mixture of ups and downs.  I’ve rested, iced, cried, sulked, laughed, smiled, and I can almost say…recovered.  The giant gash and painful stitches are now simply a puffy purple scar.

My new sporty knee brace has helped me get back on my feet – walking all over town, and even getting full motion back in bending.  There is still some side to side pain and I can’t kneel directly on my knee, but I know that will all come with time.

And yesterday I had my second to last check-in with my orthopedic doctor.  With a few weeks of no-resistance cycling and elliptical-ing behind me, he gave me the go-ahead to try lightly jogging as soon as I felt comfortable.  So naturally I went home and immediately changed into running gear…

It felt really weird to be pulling out my dusty Garmin and heading out the door for a run.  What was once a daily part of my routine suddenly felt like a lifetime ago.  I took the dogs with me for moral support (and to exhaust them!), and we headed down south on the Mt. Vernon Trail.

The first few blocks felt weird.  I almost felt like I was little off balance.  I had no idea what a “comfortable” pace felt like anymore, and the dogs were yanking me to go faster, resulting in a major upper body workout.  I could tell instantly that something felt different with my left knee – not painful, just…different.  I think it is still some residual tightness and loss of muscle in my left leg.

I kept my pace where it felt comfortable – not worrying about how fast I used to run or what I used to do.  None of that matters anymore.  I’m choosing to see my injury as an opportunity to start over with running – to go back to the beginning and re-find the sport that has done so much for me.  Turns out that my beginning falls somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 minute miles.  I’ll take it.

My Garmin chirped to tell me that I had run one mile, and I literally felt my whole body warm with pride and joy.  I was running again.  I was totally out of breath, had almost no endurance left, and felt wobbly and awkward, but I was running.  I ran to the water fountain, stopped for a quick drink, and turned around to head back to my house.

I haven’t thought about my accident much in the past few weeks.  Emotionally, I feel a million times better.  So I was surprised that as I was running past the river bank, I found myself having vivid flashbacks to hitting the ground just after the impact.  Maybe reliving it a few more times is my mind’s way of healing too – next time I’ll take an iPod.  I blinked the flashes away and continued along back towards my house, and ended up on my front steps with 3 miles under my belt.  How did it feel?  I think this picture says it all…

Literally beaming with pride.  And you know what?  I actually kept a pretty decent pace!  A 9:38 average after 6 weeks of no activity – amen.

As amazed as I am by the human body’s ability to heal, it is also somewhat shocking how quickly the body loses fitness.  I feel SO out of shape.  But the good news is that fitness is something I can change, and I plan to ease back into my runs and workouts slowly.  There is no point in rushing and setting myself back further.

I woke up this morning incredibly sore, feeling more like I ran a marathon than three miles.  I’m not sure I’m quite ready to fully jump back into running quite yet.  I think I’ll probably do a few more weeks of low-impact cardio, just to ensure that my body has healed enough.  But I know that I can run, and I know that I’ve still got my spark.  And right now that is the only thing that matters.

This morning I entered the lottery for the Cherry Blossom 10-mile Run here in April.  Ten miles by April?

Here’s hoping.

Elizabeth     at 1:21 pm

Sooooo happy for you! Running is back in your life. You have had an amazing recovery due to the fact that you take good care of yourself. Keep it up. You clearly can accomplish so much — hope you’re beaming with pride.

Evan Thomas     at 1:21 pm

Congratulations! 3 miles is a huge step(or many steps) back to your former ability. I can’t understand what it’s like to be injured that long or severely, but not running for the past 2 weeks from injury makes me appreciate all that I can do when healthy. It’s weird what it feels like when something you do religiously is no longer an option. You’ll definitely be ready to PR in April :-)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 1:21 pm

HOORAY!!!! If anything this accident has taught you to appreciate your body and all that it can do. No more taking running (or anything physical) for granted. Congrats on your 3-miler, Emily!

Madison     at 1:21 pm

Yay, Emily! So happy for you and for the blessing of having your knee well on its way to full recovery!

Kelly     at 1:21 pm

You are awesome! I’m so happy that you can run again! You’re so brave for just getting out there and tackling running again after all you have been through. You’ll have your endurance back again in no time. :)

Two Pitties in the City     at 1:23 pm

Congrats! I think running is a healing process on its own. I love that your dogs go with you too; ours like lazing around more than running but it must be so nice to have the company. I think 10 miles by then is totally doable. Good luck!

Cynthia     at 1:23 pm

Congrats on your first run back! That is an awesome pace. Keep up the great work.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 1:23 pm

You go girl! That smile on your face says it all! :)

Poppy@ From Fried Chicken to Tofu     at 1:23 pm

Welcome back to the land of running! The human body is really amazing. I came back to running after a long break (4 months) and found that I had more stamina in me than I though possible. So excited for you that even after the accident you were able to get back on your feet again. You’ve got miles ahead of you!

Hether Crawford     at 1:24 pm

Wow! What an inspirational post! Overcoming injury is a feat in itself, but also overcoming fear is truly amazing. Thank you for sharing!

Lauren     at 1:24 pm

YAY!!!!!!! This is amazing and fantastic news and I’m so happy to hear! ;)

keep me updated on the Cherry Blossom!!! I’m so ready to run with you girl!

grocery goddess jen     at 1:24 pm

Congratulations Emily!! That picture of you really is priceless and I am SO happy that you got out there again! I know with time you’ll find your stride. The body does seem to lose fitness quickly, but I bet you could tear up 10 miles in April, no problem!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie     at 1:27 pm

Congratulations on your run – that’s also an amazing pace to maintain after time off!

Injuries take a while to heal. And while fitness can be lost quickly (esp. with running), it also comes back just as quickly. Your body will remember everything, maybe even faster than you expect.

Dorry     at 1:27 pm

Yay! So exciting. You should definitely be very proud of yourself for allowing your body to rest in order to fully heal. Glad you had the dogs with you for moral support!

Nienke at Revel     at 1:28 pm

Yay for running again! And double YAY for you listening to your body and letting it take its time!

Sylvia     at 1:29 pm

Woohoo! I’m so excited for you =D Congrats on your run today and 29 min??? That’s awesome! Especially after 6 weeks and no runs. You can do that 10 miler. I know it =D

Amanda in Pittsburgh     at 1:31 pm

SO proud of you! My pace is 10:00 WITH training! Way to go!! :o)

Brittney     at 1:31 pm

Yay!!! Great job Emily! I’m so glad to hear you are back at it. Your running always inspired me and continues to. It’s amazing how much more you appreciate running when you haven’t been able to. It’s not the same as your accident, but I had a brief hiatus this summer while I was dealing with knee issues when I couldn’t run, and I was totally chomping at the bit to get back to it after a couple months. So happy for you! Also, that pace is awesome!

kelly     at 1:33 pm

I’m so happy for you! Amazing pace!! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 1:35 pm

I started to tear up while reading this. I am so happy for you! I know that these past 48 days have been rough but you have kept such a great attitude.

I currently am nursing an IT band injury and I want to get back to running so bad! I have a half- marathon in 37 days and it’s been awhile since I’ve really run.

Congratulations on the 3 miles! :)

Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)     at 1:35 pm

The first run back after time off is always the hardest. It sounds like yours went incredibly well! Great job Emily!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 1:35 pm

I’m so happy for you!! Injuries really do dampen your spirits, no matter how positive you try to stay. You’ve given your body the rest it needs, and I’m sure it will pay off as you continue to run :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen)     at 1:35 pm

I am so happy that you have gotten back out there! It is a HUGE emotional roller coaster, but you learn a lot about yourself through this process. Some good, some bad, but in the end you discover how to be the best you can be in any situation. I am just so happy that you are at this point!

Candy @ Heathy in Candy Land     at 1:36 pm

I just have to say how inspiring I always find your posts. Thank you for sharing your journey! You are a strong, beautiful woman and should be so proud of yourself. Keep taking it easy and keep on inspiring.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com     at 1:36 pm

That is so awesome!! I am so happy you are out running again.

sassy molassy     at 1:39 pm

That’s so exciting, Emily! It must feel awesome after having not run for 48 days.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness)     at 1:41 pm

SO so glad to see you running again!!! :)

Nicole @ yuppie yogini     at 1:42 pm

That’s awesome!! Even though you feel out of shape, I’m glad to hear that means 3 miles at 9:30! Not bad :)

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life     at 1:43 pm

Congrats on the run, I am so happy for you! I bet it felt so amazing to be running again! I think by April you will be able to do the 10 mile run without problems! Just stay positive! : )

Theresa @ActiveEggplant     at 1:44 pm

Yay! So glad to hear you had a successful first run! (And jealous that you could do it at 9:38 pace – you’re a speedy little bugger!)Here’s to a great recovery – both physical and mental – as you get your feet back under you.

Theodora     at 1:45 pm

This post makes me so happy! I have never been injured to the point of not running since I started, so I can only imagine what it would feel like. Congrats on being ready to run again and make sure to listen to your body as you ease back into it–which it sounds like you’re definitely doing!

CathyK     at 1:47 pm

that’s wonderful, emily! way to go!
it’s these forced breaks that make us appreciate the ability to run again, once are on the comeback trail. we learn so much!

Leanne     at 1:49 pm

I’m so happy for you Emily. What a great feeling that must’ve been :) Congrats!

Maybe do some running mixed in with some walking?

& wow, signing up for a 10km already…. you’re rad!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 1:51 pm

Now, I’m not very good with miles, but I *think* your post-accident, post-time off pace is basically my usual pace. So: superstar! :D

Chrissy (The New Me)     at 1:53 pm

Congratulations on your comeback! It must feel SO GOOD to be able to run again – I can’t imagine being forced to take six weeks off. And your pace is rocking! You’ll be ready for that ten mile race, no problem!

Heather     at 1:54 pm

This is so exciting Emily! I know you will be running the Cherry Blossom. I hope I get in too.

Kelli (MarathonMamma)     at 1:54 pm

Emily, I’m so so happy for you! And it’s a bit sad that your first run after such an event is so much faster than my pace after a year of running!

Lindsey     at 2:00 pm

Emily,
While I’m a new commenter, I’m a long time reader and big fan! I’m coming out of the blogworld woodwork to say that you’re a true inspiration! Your dedication to staying positive and running spirit is definitely incredible.
And the white chocolate/peanut butter cookie recipe from the other day made my mouth water and motivated me to dust off my apron and try to bake again.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 2:00 pm

That must have felt amazing! Rooting for you to make a recovery that makes the Cherry Blossom 10 miler possible!

Ashley     at 2:04 pm

Wow, I’m so impressed and happy for you!! :) I can imagine it felt pretty weird to run. You’ll be back to normal in no time!! Miss youuuu

Sarah (Going on Goals)     at 2:04 pm

Congrats!!! I entered the Cherry Blossom 10-miler too! I am sure you will be ready by April!

Lauren     at 2:07 pm

Yay! The first run after a while always feels nice and enjoyable.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 2:10 pm

Amazing!
Congrats!!

~

Ash     at 2:14 pm

It is definitely easy to feel out of shape. I skipped the gym for a few weeks (pure laziness on my part) and when I got back into it, it was tough. It’s crazy how fast your body loses it’s strength and stamina. You have to work yourself back up to it! I know you’ll do it! :)

Alyson     at 2:16 pm

Aw, congratulations! :) I’ve been waiting for this post. And ha ha ha I’ve been running for about 4.5 years, since after baby #7 was born, and I haven’t even worked *up* to 3 miles yet! So you’re still ahead of me. ;)

Cristen     at 2:16 pm

Congratulations Emily! I’m sure that run felt somewhat freeing to you. I bet we will all see you coming back stronger and better than before!

Mina     at 2:24 pm

Yay Emily!!!! I’m so glad that your first run went so great! it’s s hard to not just try to jump right back in – at least that was how it was for me after my hip injury. I’m confident that slow and steady got me back to my pre-injury pace much faster than if I would have pushed my body to do something it wasn’t quite ready to do.

Mina

PS – I can NOT wait to make your 3 bean pantry salad. It’s just what I’ve been looking for!

Corey - The Runner's Cookie     at 2:25 pm

HUGE accomplishment!! You have come such a long way in 48 days. I bet you will be back in running shape quicker than you think! Congratulations, Emily!

Heather     at 2:26 pm

Congratulations! That is such wonderful news.

Lu     at 2:26 pm

You inspire me. I’m such a giver-upper. Congratulations on accomplishing this. You should be proud and happy. It’s not easy to move forward and get past your fears! Way to go!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks     at 2:28 pm

Congrats on getting back on the pavement! :)

Gale     at 2:32 pm

I’ve been following your blog for about 6 months. It’s so encouraging! I am delighted to hear that you are back to running again. I’ve haven’t run in many years- but you have inspired me to start again. CONGRATS again on your recovery!

Lee     at 2:36 pm

Congrats! You look so happy in that last picture.

Marci     at 2:38 pm

Congrats Emily! I really like your attitude of knowing you have to start from scratch and not thinking you’ll be back to how you were before, or thinking you can run 3 miles everyday now. Running doesn’t come naturally easy to me, so I always tell my body thanks and appreciate every good mile or half mile I get.

Whitney     at 2:41 pm

It’s like riding a bicycle.. doesn’t matter how long it’s been it always comes back to you. The human body amazes me everyday with what it is capable of doing! Keep up the positive attitude and you will do great with the ten miler! :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 2:43 pm

YEAH!!!!! congrats on your run!!! That’s so exciting! that is an awesome pace after 6 weeks off! I’m proud of myself if I do that on a regular day. :)

I’ve always wanted to do the Cherry Blossom 10K. I might have to look into it! Although, considering I just quit my job, Rob might not approve a weekend trip to DC!

Macrae     at 2:45 pm

What great news! I bet your body will respond better to running within a week or so since you had such a great fitness level pre-accident. You will absolutely be able to run 10 miles by April!
I have really been enjoying your blog and am so glad I’m a regular reader now!

Carly     at 2:45 pm

Congrats on getting back to running! I’m amazed you’re able to run with your two huge dogs!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 2:47 pm

Fantastic! 3 miles is an impressive beginning to lots more running. You’ve got this!

Meghann     at 2:52 pm

YAY!!!! Congrats on your run! :)

Namaste Gurl     at 2:54 pm

Yay girl– how utterly exciting!! I remember your terrible accident you posted about a couple months ago. I’m glad you’ve come out of it learning something and with a huge testimony :)

I, too, can relate as I twisted my left foot tendon back in September. It was horrible not being able to do anything for 3-4 weeks; but much was learned in that time!

Dee     at 2:54 pm

YAY! I’m so happy for you! :)

Laural     at 3:00 pm

I usually don’t comment on blogs but I just wanted to let you know that your posts make me smile :)

Glad to see you didn’t lose your spirit through all of this! Very inspiring!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:08 pm

I bet that felt so great! And I’m sure you will regain your stamina and endurance quickly. I’m actually bummed because I found out last night was the last workout I’m able to do this pregnancy. It’s going to be rough knowing I have a solid 2 months ahead of me with no workouts, but our health is worth it.

Little Bookworm     at 3:11 pm

Congratulations on running again! :)

Mari     at 3:12 pm

This is so great to hear!

So happy for you!

Kath     at 3:21 pm

So happy for you!!

I know what it’s like to run after YEARS of not being able to – and you can bet I was smiling the whole time too :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert     at 3:23 pm

Wonderful news Emily! What a blessing. I can’t believe it has been that long. Very happy news indeed.

zoe (and the beatles)     at 3:25 pm

you look so happy, emily! congratulations on busting out three miles! i love your positive attitude, too. i know it can be difficult to essentially start over but positivity makes it that much easier. it looks like you’ve got that part nailed down! way to be forgiving and patient with yourself and your body! good luck, emily!

lauren     at 3:31 pm

This post made me smile :) Congratulations!

It’s awesome you ran three miles after such an injury. Here’s to your road to recovery!!!

jen     at 3:37 pm

I’m a new reader, so I had no idea about your car accident, but good for you for getting back to running and healing :)

I’m excited to keep reading your blog and see how you get back into your groove!!!

Jen

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 3:40 pm

AHH! Last night I went for my first nearly pain free run! I’m planning to post about it later today. I’m SO happy to hear you’re on the mend. At the end of my run last night, I was literally smiling so much it HURT. <3

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 3:44 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!! I can only imagine your excitement and pride. Just think, soon you’ll run another marathon and this will seem like ages ago

Meghan     at 3:51 pm

Way to go Emily!

gabriella @ embracement     at 3:58 pm

Congratulations! It must have felt awesome to finish that run and at a great pace too! You’ll be back to it in no time :)

Erin@ Enjoying The Chaos     at 4:02 pm

YAY!! Congrats to you and welcome back to running!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 4:08 pm

Such great news! You have such a strong spirit :-)

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 4:17 pm

Congratulations!

Nikki     at 4:25 pm

Congrats on your big run! I know 3 miles may not sound big in your head but WOW! 3 miles! Some people whose both knees are working couldn’t run 3 miles at that pace.

I’m glad you’re going to be easing back into running. Going too fast and hurting yourself would be such a bummer.

You are such an inspiration and I love reading your blog.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries     at 4:35 pm

This makes m so happy for you. CONGRATS on pushing through to 3 miles (and keeping a decent pace to boot!). I think healing emotionally is them most important aspect. The physical stuff will come in time, as you said. Keep working at it and don’t push yourself too hard. If I were in DC, I would run with you since that’s my normal pace! Haha. How sad.

Sana     at 4:41 pm

That just goes to show how mentally strong you are. Congrats!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:43 pm

Congrats!!! I am so proud that you stuck it out and were able to run a whole 3 miles. Nice job Em!

Carin     at 4:48 pm

So glad you had a great run — and your dogs look pretty happy, too! I’ve been sidelined from running many times and had to start at Square One. But like you said, that’s the great thing about running and fitness, in general: You know you’ll be able to build up to it (slowly) and get back to where you were.

Becca     at 4:48 pm

Congrats! I know how that feels…when i broke my back two years ago, and I was finally able to walk again, I literally went at a 1.5 mph pace on the treadmill, white-knuckling it the whole 10 minutes! Coming from being a college soccer player, well it was tough! Now, i just ran my longest distance ever…20 miles! i’m truly amazed at how the body adapts and changes. I think back to those times on the treadmill, getting whooped by old grannies next to me, and go….wow!!! :)

Haha yeah I feel pretty lame at the gym with my no-incline no-resistance elliptical and bike workouts. :)

Kathleen     at 5:03 pm

So happy for you Emily! I think it’s great that you took your pups to keep you company. I’m smiling that you are looking forward to your running future. This is awesome news!

They are hard core runners! Huey is SO fast.

Kerr     at 5:13 pm

Congrats on running again!

Rachel @ FitFunandFabulous     at 5:26 pm

I’m so proud of you!!! What an awesome first time back on the pavement. Kick ass, girl.

Katryn@RampantCuisine     at 5:28 pm

I don’t know you but I’m SO proud of you!

betty @runbettyrun     at 5:28 pm

Congratulations!

I’ve been lurking for awhile, but I thought this was as good a post as any to comment.

I am so impressed with how you’ve dealt with the whole incident. You’re accident has inspired me to be not only a more cautious runner/walker, but a better and more aware driver.

I’m so happy to hear you’ve got your run back!

-betty

Hi Betty! Thank you so much! :)

Lindsey @ Enjoying Healthy Foods     at 5:45 pm

Glad you got back out there!!! Not too shabby either!!!

Kate     at 5:47 pm

Congrats!! Your outlook/attitude is admirable and that alone will do loads for you :)

Lisa     at 5:48 pm

This is the most wonderful uplifting story I have read all day :) I am so very very happy for you xx

Laurab @ foodsnobstl     at 5:58 pm

Yeah! I am sure this hasn’t been an easy journey, but your attitude about it and honesty have shown a lot of character. Really exited for you!

Beth     at 6:00 pm

That is awesome! Congrats on your first run back! You will totally be ready for Cherry Blossom come April. If you don’t get in, check out the GW Parkway Classic or the National Half. They’re both awesome local spring races.

Beth     at 6:00 pm

Oh, and that is totally a “I just accomplished something HUGE in running” smile. Love it :)

Chase     at 6:05 pm

So happy to hear you are on the mend!

Rachel @ Olalliberry     at 6:06 pm

Congratulations! Your face says it all – you look SO happy. I’m glad you’re taking it slow for a while, you know what is best for your body.

Jessica (Daly Authenticity)     at 6:23 pm

Emily, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the personal email to me in regards to my injury. This post made me cry, because I know that someday I will be back again to living an active lifestyle once I give myself the chance to heal. Here’s to many more successful runs!

Stay positive Jessica! I promise you there IS an end in sight, even though you can’t see it right now. And a good cry always makes me feel better too. :)

Gwen     at 6:29 pm

So inspiring! You can do it, Emily!

Shannon     at 6:32 pm

I’m so happy for you! I’m also a little jealous that you were able to maintain that pace after not running for so long. That’s awesome!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy     at 6:39 pm

This was such an uplifting story! I can only imagine the joy you must have felt during and afterwards. You should be so proud of yourself!

Emily     at 6:39 pm

congrats! and way to be responsible in your recovery, by not pushing your body too far too fast. you’ll be ready to run that 10-miler before you know it :)

Katie     at 6:51 pm

YEA! You look soo happy. You can totally do 10 by April. Maybe we should come for a visit in April and run with you! ;-)

YES! Enter the lottery to do the run with us!! We can all enter as a group so we’re either all in or all out – doesnt affect your chances of getting in or not. Casey and I are already entered together. Email me for the group info if you can convince Kirt to run ten miles. :)

Jill     at 7:05 pm

Way to go Emily!! WooHoooo :)

Lee @ College Foodie Finds     at 7:21 pm

Congrats on getting back into it Emily! It probably felt so good to run today. You’ll be back in shape in no time!

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 7:21 pm

So awesome! I can only imagine how good that felt! I still have six more months before I can run again (unless of course I want to risk MORE back surgery). Ten miles by April will be totally doable. You will be surprised how quickly all your fitness comes back to you!

Thank you for being a continued inspiration!

Keep smiling, Jayna! :)

Allison     at 7:56 pm

So happy for you Emily!! Congratulations!!!

Kaitlin With Honey     at 8:32 pm

Aww Emily, I am so happy for you. This post made me beam FOR you!

Judy     at 8:54 pm

Congrats, that is awesome! I love that your recovery pace is faster than my normal pace, hee hee.

Nothing wrong with that! That was my normal pace for a long time too.

Colleen     at 9:18 pm

So happy for you!! It is amazing what we take for granted when we can’t do it. Keep up the positive attitude, it will take you far!

Kristin @ the expat diaries     at 9:24 pm

Congratulations! I know how hard it is to heal from an injury…I had an accident in March and had a bad ankle sprain, which didn’t feel ready to run again until August…it was a LONG healing process. I bet your run felt amazing. :-)

shauna     at 9:54 pm

My heart is beaming for you and I have a big smile. Hooray!!! Love it Love it!! :-)

nic     at 10:00 pm

You are so awesome! The body is a wonderful thing, isn’t it? I will share a personal recovery story of my own. Hopefully, it will give you the mindset that you WILL get back to your normal self sooner than you think…

At the time my husband was deployed and just extended to 15 instead of 12 months time. I decided I was going to go ahead and train for my second marathon, take my mind off things. One month into training, I found out I had a benign tumor in my abdomen that would require surgery. That first day, postop, I was lying in my hospital bed with so much pain and despair thinking, “There is no way I will get back in shape and run a marathon in 3 months.”

6 wks later, I actually felt decent and went for my first glorious (yet slow) jog. I built myself up slowly to more and more miles over the next 4 wks. Soon after that, my husband came home from his deployment and then one month after his return, I ran that marathon and shaved off 33 minutes off my previous year’s time.

I know my experience was not like yours. But it goes to show you that the body has great muscle memory. And you might not think it now, but you WILL get back to your old running self in no time :)

Wow, that is crazy. I can’t believe you were able to go from bedrest to marathon in 3 months – gives me a lot of hope. I’d love to be able to do another marathon in the spring.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 10:00 pm

That is awesome, what an amazing feeling! You’ve been through so much and I give you so much credit, and thats seriously amazing that you were able to run 3 miles at that pace! Your mentality is great- definitely take it slow so you don’t set yourself back even further. So happy for you!

Doug     at 10:10 pm

I missed a long run Sunday because I was under the weather, but I can’t imagine your distress of missing 48 days!

So glad to hear you’re able to step back into running. Hope your progress is healing to your soul, mind, and body! Welcome back!!

Missing long runs during training can be stressful – I know how you feel. Better to rest though than try to run sick!

Jessi     at 10:17 pm

Get it girl. Way to get back in the game. Quick question – do you run with a Garmin Forerunner? I’m hoping to add one to my Christmas list and don’t know which one is the best value…so I’m looking for some advice from a running expert like yourself.

I do! I have the 205, which is the slightly less expensive model. The only difference that the 305 has is the heart rate monitor, and from everyone I’ve asked (that has the 305), no one actually wears the HRM strap. So if you don’t care about the HRM, I’d save your $$ and get the 205. I love mine!

Stephanee     at 9:20 pm

I am SO HAPPY for you!! I know how discouraging it is to feel like you can run forver but your body won’t cooperate. You have a great attitude, though. Keep your head up!

Cathy     at 10:29 pm

Congratulations! Three miles after an accident like that is a big accomplishment. And I bet you can do the 10 miles in April. They might not be the prettiest or fastest, but you’ll be able to do them. Just be sure to strech out, do some PT, and take it easy. Your body will let you know if you’re pushing it too hard.

Lauren     at 10:45 pm

WHOHOO!!! You have such a positive attitude, it will speed you right along. Thanks for sharing all of this with us. You’re an inspiration.

Kelly     at 11:07 pm

I love this post, and your blog. It’s so positive of you to see this as an opportunity rather than just giving up. It’s really inspiring and I hope I can apply this in my own life aswell!

Shelley     at 11:49 pm

What a great first run back, you will hit 10 miles in no time :)

rachel     at 11:53 pm

just had to say, woohoo!! and 3 miles rocks for a first run!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie)     at 12:07 am

Congrats! It’s so great that you have such a positive outlook on the whole situation. 3 miles is awesome for your first run back. You will kick butt in the April race :)

Meagan     at 12:52 am

YAY Emily! I’ve been waiting to hear a post like this :) I am so glad!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 4:22 am

HOPING for you.

so so happy =]

Marika     at 5:01 am

This was a great post.I’m so happy for you and think it’s very wise to take it easy for now and give your body time to heal completely.
Also, you have my sympathy for your post-run soreness! I’ve been there (running for the first time after a longer break) and it’s brutal :-).

Seriously, that was on Tuesday and I am still SO SORE! Incredible.

Kristy     at 8:30 am

Youre a freaking rock star! 3 miles in less than 30 minutes! Are you trying to secretly show up your husband? ;-)

Haha I wish. He can run 3 miles in like 18 minutes!

skinnyrunner     at 11:38 am

congrats on your first run back! the human body is pretty amazing in how it heals and gets back on track. you can do 10 miles by april!!

Maryann     at 11:46 am

Emily,
What a step forward for you and a sense of accomplishment it is. Slow and easy does it you are so young and have a lot to look forward to.
I wish I could run 3 miles peroid.
Blessings

Kristy     at 12:17 pm

Congrats on your first run back!! Best of luck!

Jillian@ Reshape Your Life     at 12:23 pm

You’ll totally be able to do it Emily! Congrats on your first run since the accident!

This brought tears to my eyes. I am so excited that you are doing so well. Even though I don’t really “know” you, I feel like I have been on this journey with you. And I’m truly amazed and inspired by your strength.

Thanks Amber! :)

Amy     at 3:50 pm

This is an amazing article…very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]     at 4:25 pm

A friend of mine got hit by a car today, and I thought of you! He did get hurt, but only had a broken foot. *phew*

My SodaStream came in the mail, and we have it ready to go in the house! I totally got it because you wrote about it here. :)

SCARY! Glad he is okay. :/ You will LOVE the SodaStream – let me know how it works out. :)

leatitia     at 4:35 pm

This post made me smile!! Congrats to you and your recovery.. That’s amazing.

Monica     at 4:40 pm

Congrats on reuniting with your love for running! What a great feeling!

I love your positive outlook on how to embrace this as a re-set moment in your fitness.

Harley     at 9:17 pm

I just started reading your wonderful blog! I am glad that you are on the road to recovery, congrats! Though not the same, I understand after being injured with 3 stress fractures last year, but, in retrospect, there was such a huge silver-lining in it. I also live in DC, and just entered the lottery for the Cherry Blossom 10- miler as well!!! Here’s to hoping! Good luck!

annelies     at 8:20 am

Congrats on your run. Here’s to the baby steps that lead to your 10 miler in April. Glad it felt good to be back in the saddle again!

Rosemary     at 3:50 pm

Good for you! By the way have you noticed that your scar looks like a Happy Face:)