For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

The Long Trip Home.

Hooooooooome sweet home!  But it took a long time to get here.  Our original plan was to leave Tuesday (today), and get up super early so that our entire drive would be in daylight.  But Monday morning we got up and Casey took a look at his work schedule, discovering meetings lined up for Tuesday afternoon – whoops.  We considered going Wednesday instead, but that made me really sad.  I haven’t been home since May, and that was for the marathon – I was reaaaally looking forward to a good, long visit.

So at 8am Monday morning, with nothing packed or ready to go, we started scrambling around the house to suddenly throw everything together for an 8 day trip.  At 10:30am, we rolled out of Alexandria with two very nervous dogs and a car packed with stuff.

Casey was a total champ and drove for the first SEVEN hours of our nine hour drive.

While I provided food, music, and entertainment.  :)

We started out in the Virginia countryside, which eventually took us to Maryland.

The weather was great for driving, and the scenery was absolutely beautiful.

We’ve done a lot of long road trips in our day, but this was our first time driving from Virginia to Ohio so we weren’t exactly sure what to expect.

After whining and pacing for about 30 minutes, the dogs settled down and got comfortable.

Usually when we go on road trips, I’ll head to the store before we leave and pick up some good healthy snack options, so that we don’t have to stop a lot for food on the road.  But since we unexpectedly left a day early, I was forced to scramble and find what little food was left in our house.  A pack of delicious hamburger rolls from the Gourmet deli down the street…

And a bunch of granola and snack bars to get us through.

Lots of COFFEE to help us stay awake and stay alert.

This will definitely always be remembered as the road trip where we snacked on giant hamburger rolls all day long.

Indy was very jealous of them.

I had no idea that our drive would take us so high up into the mountains.  As we got into West Virginia and Pennsylvania, we climbed up, up, UP!

And the higher we climbed, the lower the outside temperature dropped.  It also got very SNOWY!

The highest elevation sign I saw was 3,000 feet, and I was very ready to come down when we finally got through them.  The mountains were super snowy and scary, and I felt like my head was going to explode from all the pressure changes.

We stopped a few times to let the pups stretch their legs and drink some water.  They are actually surprisingly VERY good on road trips – gives me hope that maybe we can do this more often.

They usually pace around for about 10 minutes, and then curl up and go to sleep on their dog beds the rest of the way.

The mountains made me really nervous and sick feeling, so I distracted myself by eating a terrifying amount of hamburger rolls.

And then just in time for a pretty sunset, we made it to OHIO!

Unfortunately, we still had three hours to go, but it still felt great to be back in my home state.

Just before 8pm, we rolled up to our destination after more than nine loooong hours in the car.   Home sweet home!  Well, not really home, but definitely sweet.  Casey and I are staying in my best friend’s apartment while she is Christmasing in Mexico (so jealous).  It’s so nice for us to have our own space that we can take the dogs (my mom’s house has too many cats).  A million thanks to Lindsey for letting us take over her home for the week – it feels so weird to be here without her!

The dogs have been to her front door many many times before, but they had never actually been inside until last night (because she used to have a cat).  They were pretty pumped.

The best greeting of all was finding my mom and little sister waiting inside with a giant bag of Thai food – YUM!  I told Sarah to just order something that she knew I would like, and she hit a home run – steamed veggies with crispy tofu and peanut sauce.  Yuuuuuum.

Shared with family – the best Christmas gift of all.

The pups aren’t quite sure what to think about being back in Cincinnati.  Even though we are at Lindsey’s place which is new to them, we actually used to live just two doors down from here!  I think they can definitely sense that something is very familiar.

It feels good to be home.  :)

I have a long day of last-minute Christmas errands planned, along with trips to the post office, and other things.  Going to go steal my little sister and drag her around town with me.  Wheeeeee!

Who else is road tripping this year?  How long is your drive?

jen     at 8:23 pm

hey emily-

i know you have posted a bunch of brussel sprouts recipes lately… did one of them have cranberries and walnuts? or did i make that up? i went back through your posts and can’t find it?

thanks!

Meagan     at 8:29 pm

I love the little red house photo.
I love the first doggie photo.
I am glad your trip was smooth!!

Jen C     at 8:50 pm

Yay for Cincinnati! Hope you enjoy the holiday at home and eat plenty of Yagoot and Green Dog :)

Runeatrepeat     at 8:53 pm

Glad you made it safe :)
Normally I want something on my bread, but those look amazing as is!

Rosemary (Pediure girl,Texas)     at 8:56 pm

Well I’m glad you all arrived safe and sound,I was a little worried something had happened when I didn’t see post for a couple of days..I guess I need to follow you on twitter. Congrats to 2 winners of your banana bread giveaway..I just knew it would be me but alas not this time,I generally never win anything haha but thats ok. Speaking of winning, what did you think of winner in blog contest..you prob can’t say but after I couldnt vote for you anymore I was rooting for Oh She Glows..reminds me of you,healthy and wholesome.

Sorry to worry you!! We’ve just been driving across the eastern part of the country. :)

Em     at 8:57 pm

I drove 4.5 hours from Chicago to St. Louis (my hometown) for a quick visit with my family. Then I left less than 48 hours later to drive 14 hours to Colorado with my boyfriend’s family to spend the week snowed in and on the slopes!

Ashley     at 9:00 pm

I know that route – it looks like 68 to me! As a Baltimore resident who grew up in Pittsburgh, we often take that road too as opposed to 70. It definitely gets a little scary in the winter months because of the snow. And, it does help to do that part of the trip when it’s light out too.

Karis (Karis' Kitchen)     at 9:02 pm

We leave Thursday for a 10-hour drive from Wisconsin to South Dakota. We do it every year, and snow is always a problem, but it’s worth it for my husband to spend Christmas with his parents and sisters. I’m sad to leave our two cats home this year :(

Gabrielle     at 9:08 pm

I love the photos of your dogs – they’re so sweet, with big sad eyes. The Thai tofu looks fabulous! Glad you had a safe trip – I hope you have a great Christmas holiday!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:12 pm

Yay for being home for Christmas!

Joanna @ drizzle of sunshine     at 11:16 pm

Hi Emily! Glad your roadtrip went well and you got there safely. Luckily my trip back home isn’t too bad…only an hour tops. If there’s traffic, two hours. My task this year will be splitting Christmas time with my new hubby’s family.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:18 pm

Mmm, bread!!! Sounds like a winning car trip all around. And until the second picture, I was really, really hoping your sis was wearing a Santa hat. :-p Happy holidays, Emily!

Mimi     at 12:31 am

I lived in Ohio for six years (the Columbus area), so it still holds a special place in my heart! Enjoy your time at home with family!

Jen     at 6:54 am

Have a great time being home for Christmas :)

Jen

Cathy     at 10:07 am

Glad you made it home safely. We’re just staying in the Chicagoland area for Christmas, but have had our fair share of driving from Chicago to Cleveland and St. Louis to Cleveland.

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com     at 12:56 pm

I’m jealous! Looks like a fun time!!! We are staying at home this year – hubby’s wish come true! So jealous of the snow too!!! My kind of holiday!!

Nona Mills     at 5:09 pm

Sara @ Baking and Wine     at 6:29 pm

We actually just did a road trip to Virginia to visit my husband’s family! 8 hours each way, and we got back today. We have a day and a half of recuperation and then we head to Texas to visit my family on Friday. 16 hours. Whew, that’s the tough one.

Brandy     at 9:55 am

Yeah, we have four hours ahead of us on Friday (after breakfast with my family) to get to the husband’s family. This time it’s with the pup in tow. She gets to meet three cats and two dogs for the first time ever. Should be interesting. Thank goodness, she’s excellent at car trips.

Adrienne Randall     at 5:37 am

Leah     at 1:30 pm

Several road trips during the holidays. The first was easy (90 minutes to Western MA), the second was a disaster (blizzard made us turn back just outside Boston and wait until the next day, the third was easy (around 3 hours to get up into Maine). :)

Someone     at 6:32 pm

I can totally tell that you didn’t grow up in the mountains…just saying. 3,000 feet over the east coast “mountians” isn’t much.

Hope you had a fun time!

(Just to clarify…that part above wasn’t an insult, but it does kind of sound like one, sorry if you were offended.)

running shoes