Vegetarian Skyline Chili Night.

Every time I come home my family talks about all the recipes they’ve been drooling over, and the various things they want me to cook.  Call me selfish, but as soon as I walk through my mom’s door the only thing I want is for someone else to cook for me!  That’s what mom’s are for.  :)

Welcome to my mom’s house!  Let me introduce you to the cast of characters.  First we have Max, with his silky long black hair.

IMG_5676

Next we have Kitty – yes, the lamest cat name ever.  Her name is actually Kitty Malone, because when my mom first found her I was the only one who could take her to the vet, and without thinking, I gave her my last name.  My mom has a very bad habit of adopting stray cats.

IMG_5766

Pretzel was feeling a little shy and wouldn’t come out for her close-up, but I got one anyways.  I actually found Pretzel as a 6-week old kitten, under a tree on the side of a busy road while I was out for a run.  She is a total sweetheart.

And then there is Toby – the feline love of my life.  He is actually MY cat – who my mom was sort of forced to adopt when Casey and I moved in together.  Turns out our dogs are not so cat-friendly, and it was in Toby’s best interest to go live at mom’s house.  I think he is the most beautiful cat in the entire world.

Sadly, I am pretty much the only one who likes him.  :(  I got him in college when he was a teeny tiny kitten, and kept him illegally in my senior dorm room.  When he was just a few months old, there was a horrific accident that involved a giant wooden ladder crashing down on his neck, leaving him nearly paralyzed and slightly brain damaged.  It’s a total miracle that he survived, and I think he is the most precious cat in the world.  But every once in a while he gets a little too feisty for the rest of the family…

IMG_5717

Keeping all these crazy cats in line is Bosley, king of the household.

IMG_5689

Our family has always had Welsh Corgis – such a great dog breed!

No matter how old I get or how far away I live, there is always just something so comforting about coming home to mom’s house.

Even though she is truly a crazy cat woman.  Seriously, it scares me.

For dinner, she was nice enough to make us a big green salad with delicious cherry tomatoes.

And a vegetarian version of Cincinnati’s famous Skyline chili!!  In Cincinnati, spaghetti is the only way to serve chili…

Vegetarian soy crumbles, tomato paste, Cincinnati chili seasoning, water, and salt and pepper.

Absolutely delicious.

Skyline chili is one of those things that most people outside of Cincinnati think is totally disgusting and weird.  But I grew up on the stuff, and this vegetarian version was totally comparable to the real deal.

My mom has recently become a vegetarian too, which is really fun for me and Casey.  It makes family meals so much easier, and it’s nice to have so much love and support for our choices.

My older sister and her husband arrive tonight, and then the family will be complete!  This visit is already going by way too quickly.  Doing my best to soak it all in…

Julie @SavvyEats     at 5:34 pm

I make my own version of Skyline Chili at home, and have introduced a lot of Wisconsinites and New Yorkers to it. They always think it sounds weird, but are total converts by the end of the meal!

grocery goddess jen     at 5:35 pm

I love crazy cat ladies. Probably because I’m on my way to being one.

That chili actually looks pretty good…

Paige @ The Gravy Boat     at 5:36 pm

The spaghetti-chili thing seems sort of genius. I want to try it!

Gina     at 5:41 pm

Oh, I have many memories of Skyline! That and La Rosa’s pizza…it was always my favorite when visiting family there!

Janene @ One Run at a Time Reply:

I can’t get enough of LaRosa’a!! Thanks for reminding me that I need to add it to my list of “things to do while staying with my parents!”

Julie @SavvyEats Reply:

Ahh, I miss La Rosa’s! And Graeters!

kelly     at 5:43 pm

Gah! I didn’t know your family has corgis! I have one and he is the best dog ever :)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 5:43 pm

Pretzel is the cutest cat name everrrr. And I’ve never had Skyline Chili, but I would totally be willing to try it!

Sana     at 5:45 pm

Crazy cat lady or not! Your mom seems super cool!

Rachel     at 5:49 pm

I love your corgi! They are the best dogs! My family had two growing up, and now my husband and I have one. I get so excited when I see other people with a corgi!

sarah     at 6:02 pm

the picture of you and rebecca w/ the hilton head sweatshirt is SO FREAKING CUTE.

Jeni @ stepping out     at 6:05 pm

That chili looks amazing!
I’m not much of a cat person myself but your mom’s cats look adorable!

afarmerinthedell.wordpress.com     at 6:06 pm

That chili looks pretty darn tasty! Enjoy being home. I hate how fast visits back to my childhood home go.

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 6:16 pm

Stray cats are the best! We had one adopt us last year (seriously, she came to our door and my husband, who is allergic to 75% of cats was not allergic to her). Ashes is the sweetest kitty, and so good with the kids. My daughter runs and tackles her on the tile floor and all she does is lay down and start purring.

Mmmmm, skyline! Cincinnati has great food!

Meagan     at 6:26 pm

Pretzel is just about the BEST and cutest cat name I have EVER heard of!!

Janene @ One Run at a Time     at 6:31 pm

I had some veggie Skyline tonight, too! You can the girl out the ‘Nati, but you can’t take the ‘Nati outta the girl. :-)

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella     at 6:36 pm

Aww, that’s sad about Toby. :( And corgis are the cutest. Stubby-legged dogs are the best!

Kristine     at 6:43 pm

One of my best friends in grad school was from Cincinnati and she introduced me to the deliciousness that is Skyline Chili! When my sister and I drove cross-country a few years later and went through Ohio, I made sure we stopped off for dinner! :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)     at 7:15 pm

that is very cool that your mom is newly veggie! how fun! That is wonderful for you, her, how neat!

Have fun w/ your sis later on!

Dynamics     at 7:35 pm

My neighbor is a scary cat lady. She does not come out of the house much and when she does she always wears this huge hat. She has a 9 panel window filled with cats. Sometimes it is hard to know which is real and with is not. The house was built in the 50′s and she is an original. I cannot even imagine what the inside of her house looks like. Scary indeed.

mom Reply:

Honestly- I am not that bad….and not that scary :)

Natalia@TheHealthScript     at 7:41 pm

I have gotten a little behind on reading blogs so I am now just seeing the new layout. I absolutely love it!! And Bosley, what a beauty.

Ashley R.     at 7:52 pm

Bosley – That’s such a great name for a dog! And it seems to fit him too!

Tina @ The Shakespearean Tomato     at 7:55 pm

Mmmmmm…I have wanted to try Skyline Chili forever! Can you share what spices are used to season it? I know cinnamon is a big one but what else goes into authentic Cincinnati chili? I have a bag of TVP crumbles just waiting to be used for chili too :-)

Christina     at 7:58 pm

My cat suffered a ladder accident as well. It fell on his tail. Thankfully, he had surgery and was able to keep his tail. I have to admit, I’ve never heard of eating spaghetti and chili together. But you have convinced me to try it. :)

Lauren     at 8:42 pm

Awww it must be so nice to be home. ;) I love when mom’s make classics.

Tieghan     at 8:46 pm

My family is from the Cleveland (We now live in Frisco, CO) area and my Mom will ONLY eat chili over pasta! She would never eat it just straight it has to be over pasta!

Sarah     at 8:53 pm

I really need to introduce spaghetti and vegetarian chili to my husband. Australians don’t really ‘do’ chili, but he loves it now, and he loves past even more :-)

Those cats are beautiful! I have a special place in my heart for black cats. And as far as your cat, I can totally relate – my sister had to take my cat when I moved to Australia, but first I tried taking him to my mom’s house. I had to get him out of there though because her dogs were not accepting another cat in their household! Even though I think my cat is the best cat in the entire world, he can be very frustrating for them! He’s taught her dogs how to get into the trash, steal things from the counter, etc. He’s evil and clever and I love him!

Enjoy your time at home, and happy holidays.

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 9:25 pm

Love the animals!!! Too cute!

Enjoy your time!!! It seems like vacations come and go too quickly!

kath     at 9:26 pm

LURVE the kitties!!

Ali     at 9:27 pm

Too funny–my family has a cat named Kitty. We copied it from my grandma’s cat’s name. It fits her well though. Have a good Christmas :)

Dawn     at 9:38 pm

I’m right there with your mom…4 cats and a rabbit. Some found, some left behind by departing children, but all part of my family now. I always say I’m one cat away from being a crazy cat lady, so your mom’s fine!

Susan     at 9:59 pm

Awwww, the kitties are so cute. And I love corgis.

I first had Cincinnati style chili served over spaghetti at a chili cook-off. It was one of my favorites! Would you share the recipe?

Nicole     at 11:24 pm

I absolutly LOVE skyline chili and get it every time I visit my family in Cincinnati! What is your recipe for vegitarian??

Vanessa     at 11:59 pm

Love all the animals! Pretzel looks so cute hiding! And Toby looks like a pretty cat. I like the colors!! My mom has one of those corgies too. Chili looks so yum!!

Amber K     at 12:26 am

Enjoy this time with your family! I’m always jealous of thsoe people who actually get along with the people they are related to. :)

Amber K Reply:

or *those. You know, whatever. ;)

Susan Reply:

I know, huh? It always seems like people feel like they *have* to get together because it’s the holidays, even though they don’t particularly like each other. I live in CA and grew up in CT and all of my non-chosen family are back back there. I don’t feel really close with them so I don’t go home for the holidays. I’d rather spend time with my chosen family.

Tina     at 2:10 am

Love the pictures of all the animals. That’s so cute that you happened to find the one and were able to give her a home.

That chili looks amazing as well!

Jen     at 6:35 am

I think chili and spaghetti looks amazing! I’m for sure going to have to make this :)

Jen

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 7:37 am

I think a chili/spaghetti combo sounds perfect! It looks yummy! :D

Love all the kitty pictures! And Bosley is a handsome guy too. :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:52 am

Your poor little Toby! It’s always more fun with a little neurotic cat running around! :)

Stephanie     at 9:04 am

O.M.G. You have GOT to share that recipe! My husband and I loooved Cinncinati chili before we become vegetarians. It would be nice to have a vegetarian recipe!!! :)

Kim @ girlevolving     at 9:12 am

I grew up in northern Ohio and while we didn’t have Skyline, my mom made homemade (meat) Cincinnati chili. SO delicous. I’ll have to try a vegetarian version!

Kathleen     at 10:13 am

Just wanted to say how inspiring you are. I have been dealing with my own struggles so I haven’t had a chance to tell you, but you are. I love the look of the new blog too. I have learned in my 42 years how these set back change us and for the better. It still is fresh so you may not feel it but eventually you’ll look back and find it out. I have a 15 yr old with 10 differnt disorders, from age 11-13, I thought I would have died, it was so bad, however, it has now made me a better parent and brought even closer to my children. Anyways, just wanted to encourage you to keep pushing through and I am sure great things are on your way!

Thanks Kathleen! Sorry for the delay – just catching up from holidays. I’m so glad you’ve found helpful info here, and that you like the new design! :)

Jessica     at 10:56 am

Ohhh, I will HAVE to try that chili! I was home in the Cincinnati area over Thanksgiving, and it was my first time home since becoming a vegetarian. I was so sad that I couldn’t go to Skyline – it’s probably one of the only meat dishes I actually miss. I will definitely have to make the vegetarian version of it!

sarah keegan     at 1:36 pm

I love your corgis! We have two and they are the best!!

Tina     at 2:03 pm

Em, you may have downplayed Toby’s ability to attack a bit!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks     at 2:11 pm

The kitty and puppy pictures are too cute!

The chili doesn’t look half bad either! ;)

Martha Lilian     at 7:10 pm

Oh my! Chili + spaghetti…be still my beating heart. That looks absolutely delicious and is totally something that my boyfriend would actually eat. Chili is the best way for me to hide vegetables in his food.

Diana     at 11:24 pm

Yay for corgis! :) Happy Holidays!

Jacki     at 11:47 pm

You wouldn’t, by chance, have a recipe for that veggie skyline chili, would you? I’m a girl from Cincy and would love to try making something like that.

I’m going to re-make it at home and post a full recipe and step-by-step. Hopefully soon!

Dale     at 11:08 am

I to would love a recipe, my son is a recent vegatarian and is coming home for a visit in March I need as many recipes as possible and this looks delish. Please post. And I love your blog. Merry Christmas!!

Kathleen     at 12:13 pm

I’m home for the holidays in Cincinnati too. The first thing I did was whip up some vegetarian skyline dip…so delicious.

Brittney     at 12:37 pm

Oooooh, I ate Skyline chili when I was at Ohio State. Can you possibly post the vegetarian version recipe if you get a chance?? Or email it to me. I’d love to make it sometime!! :) Merry Christmas Emily!

Laratada     at 9:19 pm

Have you eaten at Hard Time Cafe in Alexandria VA? They serve veggie Cincinatti style chili and it’s delish!

Yes – I LOVE Hard Times!!

Jill     at 10:33 am

I was in Cincinnati over the holidays and picked up the Cincinnati chili mix at Kroger! Made some with the veggie crumbles last night and it was very good. My husband liked it too! Thanks for the vegetarian recipe!

Cait     at 7:00 pm

What brand of veggie crumbles do you use?