A Lunch Date.

I spent the bulk of my morning reading through each and every one of the 250+ amazing comments on the calorie counting discussion (and trying to respond to as many as possible).  You guys never cease to amaze me!  (If you haven’t read the post – that’s okay.  But make sure you don’t miss the comments!)

While I read and typed furiously at the tiny table in my kitchen, behind me there was gurgling and steam oozing from the rice cooker

Delicious quinoa – cooked with coconut oil, cinnamon, chili powder, and paprika – prepared for a very important lunch date!

Look who came to play at my house today – Gena from Choosing Raw!

She is in town visiting, and we decided that a homemade lunch enjoyed in the comfort of home sounded much more enticing than eating out.  We combined our veggie forces and bustled around my kitchen…

She chopped, while I whisked together dressing…

We had a big bowl of mixed veggie salad with pears and portabellas.

Aaaaamazing massaged kale salad that Gena brought – tossed in a fabulous homemade dressing.

Another one of Gena’s creations – raw cashew “cheese” – mmmmm.

Nothing quite like good conversation paired with good food.

As expected, we talked for (literally) hours about all things food, blogs, jobs, and the future.  Part of the reason I love Gena so much is that, like me, she is not afraid to speak her mind.  She is a passionate vegan and raw-food enthusiast, and she has the knowledge and talent to articulate her thoughts beautifully.

I’m not big on new year’s resolutions, but rather than set goals or specific projects for myself, this year I’m working towards more of a theme.  For me, this year is all about taking risks.

I have always been an incredibly passionate person, and I am not one to back down easily or hesitate to speak my mind.  My closest friends would likely describe me as…feisty.  This year, I’m challenging myself to take more chances, and write with my heart.  I can’t worry about judgment or reactions if I want to be able to use my most honest voice.  Sugar-coating has never been my style.

I have no plans to cause any controversy, but I want to make sure that I’m not overly censoring myself either.  Some of my favorite posts (like this one, or this one, and as recently as yesterday – this one) have naturally come to me when I shut out the critics and the worries, and just simply…typed.

Talking to Gena today made me even more passionate about all that lies ahead.  So I’m leaving my hesitations in 2010, and embracing all that 2011 has to offer.  Because if I have learned anything in the past two years, it’s that you have to take chances to achieve anything great.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."  — T.S. Eliot

kath     at 10:16 pm

What an exciting lunch companion!

[Hope you are going to come visit me in 2 weeks!]

For sure!!

Sana     at 10:16 pm

Get it girlll! You and Gena are both bold bloggers and that is why I enjoy coming back and reading :)

Evan Thomas     at 10:17 pm

Gena is one of the most thoughtful speaker I know. I can’t imagine what it would have been like to be a fly on that wall. And with delicious food to boot! Sounds like an excellent lunch date.

Haha definitely some good “food for thought.” :)

Gena Reply:

Evan, my sweet, you always make me blush.

sarah     at 10:17 pm

As one of my favorite writers – Terry Pratchett – puts it – “You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.”

This must be going around – I’m seeing a lot of this energy in my world, and in my own life. And I’m trying to do the same thing with my wee little blog – just put myself out there.

Onwards! Yay!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 10:20 pm

Awwe, I love that you got to hang out with Gena. Her way with words never ceases to amaze me! And a big hell yes to not holding back and being honest. This life is too short for anything less!

Krystina (Basil & Wine)     at 10:20 pm

Oh to be a fly on that wall (or a guest at the table)!

Allison     at 10:22 pm

One of my favorite quotes: “The greatest risk is not taking one”

I love people who aren’t afraid to put themselves out there and who do so eloquently. Maybe because I am so scared to do that myself!

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge     at 10:25 pm

I’m just starting to read your blog and I can already tell I’m going to love it and get so many ideas from it. :-)

I’ve thought about culinary school but have been kind of intimated since I’m still a newbie in the kitchen.

Thanks Alaina! Welcome to the blog! I was intimidated by culinary school too, but it was 100% worth it.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 10:28 pm

It’s funny, in person, I’m extremely passionate but I sometimes have trouble writing in that way for fear of controversy. Last month I decided that I didn’t care and I’d write what I wanted! So this is encouraging. I was mostly scared that people would hound me about how I am raising my baby and most specifically Infant Potty Training. Once I decided to write I only got positive feedback! It goes to show that people like honesty.

One of my hopes for next year is also to have a baby, and I think that’s a big part of my new attitude towards tuning out the critics. I know that I will be criticized for being a vegetarian and a runner while pregnant, as well as for raising vegetarian children. You know what? I don’t care! :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie Reply:

I was a running vegetarian pregnant woman! And barefoot running at that……in fact, when I was six months pregnant I ran a 5K barefoot. I got recognized at the race and was written about in the paper!

You can definitely do this.

Aaaaaamazing!! Thank you! :)

Allison @ Happy Tales Reply:

That’s amazing!!!

Hannah (Running In Freedom) Reply:

Not caring about what others think can be such a challenge for me sometimes, but when I realize I know I’m doing what’s best for me, its easier. And gaining confidence has helped too :) I love all your posts but especially the “no fear” attitude now! Can’t wait to follow along! :)

sarah Reply:

I was wondering when you’d announce baby plans…hee hee! Bring it on!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul     at 10:32 pm

I’m excited to see what’s to come as you take more risks and write from your heart. I’m sure good things are in store.

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 10:37 pm

Aww, how fun! Some of my friends came over the other day for a brunch (http://www.thestrengthoffaith.com/2010/12/friendly-brunch.html) – we decided to cook at home to save money, but it’s really fun and relaxing to do it this way. Cheaper, no tipping, healthier and you don’t feel like you have to give the waiter back their table!

Dorry     at 10:56 pm

I love Gena! What a fun lunch date. I think the best posts on any blog are the ones that don’t hold back. I’m excited to keep reading and see what this next year brings for you.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle)     at 11:03 pm

LOVE that T.S. Elliot quote!

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 11:07 pm

I live your attitude! Can’t wait to read what 2011 has in store for you!

Missy     at 11:24 pm

I will say first that I read your blog daily and have for a whil but am rare to comment because *blush* you’re so popular! Who has time? Who cares what I think?
BUT

I must drop a line now. I am recovering from a severe eating disorder and I LOVE the way you are a role model for healthy balanced eating and LIFE.

Thank you for emphasizing the difference between calorie counting for “normal people” and how it can lead to dangerous territory. I always knew you knew that (Marie Clarie Ridiculous … ahh…that’s so 2010 and was just vile).

Anyway…yesterdays post modeled what it means to eat intuitively and healthfully and was the perfect model of how to build a healthy meal. No matter what calorie count you were aiming for … it exhibits a way to respect what food can give us and what we need.

I <3 your blog and you HELP me. And I need it.

Smiling? Please do.

Warm Fuzzies~Missy

Awww thanks Missy!! Definitely made me smile. :)

Lizzy     at 11:31 pm

So I have been reading your blog for a little while now. I check in frequently (promise I’m not a stalker) and I really appreciate your views on the issues you tackle. I’m not really sure why I haven’t commented before but I just wanted to say that my New Years resolution was to take more risks too! A little differently than you, but it’s the idea that counts :)

I am brand new to the blogging world and I realize that I am a bit behind the times, but I am in the process of quitting my job and becoming a drifter. Not really, but I am moving to France in a couple of weeks and I don’t have a job, place to live, anything. But it’s really refreshing to take that risk, scary, but refreshing. And really, I don’t think anyone can grow unless they put themselves out there.

So now that I’ve rambled on a bit, I just wanted to say thanks for doing what you do and keep it up!

Thanks Lizzy!!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 11:56 pm

so cool you got to hang out with gena! She seems sooo awesome. And yes, I love that she is so articulate, passionate but not in-your-face about her beliefs, ya know?

I can’t wait to hear more from your feisty side! :)

how was the cashew cheese? I think I might have eaten some at 105 Degrees in Oklahoma City last week but I’m not sure. If it was, I loved it. :)

Cashew cheese was deeeelicious! Jealous of your trip to 105.

Jennifer     at 12:07 am

WOW How inspiring!

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 12:10 am

That is a great resolution! Very inspiring:)

Hillary     at 12:21 am

Funny… my theme for 2011 is “fearless”. Let’s go, girl ;)

Mama Pea     at 12:27 am

I cannot even find the words to tell you how much I would have loved to come to lunch at your house today.

Let’s see…NO FAIR!

I’m so eloquent. Two of my favorite bloggers in one room, though? NO FAIR!

The only thing that was missing was YOU!

laura (starloz)     at 12:39 am

gina seems awesome, i’m a fan of people who believe in what choices they make. it’s great!

courtney     at 1:13 am

Good for you, Emily!! I have only been reading your blog for about a month now, but I truly look forward to it every day. Not every post is meant to be thought-provoking, but many of the posts you have highlighted (as well as others I have been catching up on) are so empowering and “speak to me” shall we say. I admire you and your ability to challenge not only yourself but also your readers :)

Kim     at 1:53 am

You rock Emily!
I love ya just the way you are…. I love reading your posts, the ones i can tell you have sat down, and just wrote from the heart. Spoke your mind. They are my absolute favorite posts! You and i have veeeeery similar beliefs :) I like it!

ps. The quinoa looks YUMMO!
pps My computer doesn’t know the word ‘quinoa’… lol! I must educate it now! :)

suki     at 2:07 am

:) I remember admiring how eloquently Gena spoke at HLS.

Anyway, good for you for taking on 2011 head on! You’re right. The greatest rewards are reaped when the greatest risks are taken.

Laine     at 6:17 am

Can’t wait to see what you have in store!

Lauren     at 6:53 am

What a fun lunch date! :)

And I couldn’t agree more about your words. Taking risks is the only thing that makes sense in life. Live Boldly is my mantra for 2011!

Sparkles365     at 7:17 am

You go girl! Love the blog and can’t wait to see what all you got in store for us!

Tracy     at 7:19 am

WOW – what an exciting post and I can’t wait to see what you have ahead of you in 2011!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:20 am

It looks like a great lunch! I think that we as writers always worry too much about what people will think, if we will come off as hypocritical, etc. However, I think that some of the best writing I have ever produced was when I just bit the bullet and did it!

Hope     at 8:00 am

I really like this post. I can’t wait to see everything you have in store for 2011! Plus, the food looked amazing for lunch!

Lauren     at 8:02 am

I’m excited to hear your voice more in 2011! I’m also jealous you got to meet Gena, she is one of the most well spoken bloggers out there!

Gena Reply:

Thank you Lauren!

Marci     at 8:07 am

I want to try and write more with a no fear of the critics attitude too. Glad you brought up that it’s a hesitation for you. I feel like strangers are more understanding than real friends or family, but we’ll see what comes out. And cant wait to see what you’ve got up your sleeve.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 8:13 am

Awesome goal for the new year! :D

And what a fun lunch date! With delicious food to boot. I’ve been making kale salads a lot lately and love how simple but satisfying it is. :D

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 8:20 am

Ahh I STILL have yet to see Gena anywhere but the HLS and we live in the same city!! Obviously, I need to change this. The two of you make quite the tour de force- you both have such wonderful views of a plant based diet. Looks like a great lunch!

Gena Reply:

We do need to change this! Definitely remember your awesome comment about ED commentary on blogs at the HLS, and responding. Soon, soon! Let’s make it a 2011 goal.

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 8:22 am

Great goal for 2011, esp if there’s a baby involved! :)

alana (at) the food     at 8:31 am

good on ya! way to push yourself!

Gena     at 8:38 am

Emily!

I had such a terrific time at our lunch, and loved your recap (btw, I may steal some photos, if you don’t mind!). Our conversation was stellar, and I loved discovering (though I had suspected it at the HLS) that we’re both outspoken and committed to our own views. I hope that, as we become friends in DC and NYC this year, we can support each other’s efforts to be honest and brave! Such fun for us lies ahead :)

G xoxo

Too much fun. Can’t wait for your next visit! (Steal the photos!)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 8:44 am

This is super inspiring Emily! Honestly there comes a point where you have to just push the critics aside and do what you want to do and write what you want to write. I’m still learning this myself (I’m still a fairly new blogger trying to get my viewership up) and I still censor myself. I want to write about more things that are on my mind, but at the same time, it’s a delicate balance.

Leanne (For Health's Sake)     at 8:48 am

I am super excited to hear your opinions on things!

Plus most people in the blog community are respectful, even if they disagree. I love when we can all comment on topics & still get along, even if we have opposite opinions!

Maryann     at 8:53 am

Emily,
Go girl. Bring it on. I personally would love to do more raw dishes. I think it would take less time which we all have little of these days.
Look forward to a bold 2011 from us all and a prosperous one for sure.
Lancaster Co PA Gal

Dee     at 9:23 am

Well said Emily! I can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for us! ;)

Ana     at 9:29 am

What a nice lunch date you two had Emily!
I love the quote you added at the end of your post!
Ana

Janene @ One Run at a Time     at 9:32 am

You’re fantastic!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble)     at 9:33 am

What a fabulous looking lunch date! You two girlies must be killer in the kitchen :)

Good for you for taking risks! The more blog readers I get, the more criticisms I get, and the more I realize it doesn’t matter what people think! Getting people to think is what is important and interesting, and we all have a right to our own opinions!

Personally, some of my fave posts of yours have been the most controversial! :)

xo

Stephanie     at 9:56 am

I feel extremely cheesy saying this but over the past year your blog has been truly the most inspiring one of all for me. From your adventures at the farm (my bf is an urban farmer and LOVED hearing about your time there) to your honest post about why you don’t drink and just your total lifestyle…I don’t think you have any idea just how much reading your site has done for me. I think you’re amazing and brave and can’t wait to see where life takes you. Since this month Ryan and I are completely raw we have been stalking Gena’s site for inspiration so seeing that you guys got together is so exciting! Two of my favorite bloggers!

Thenks Stephanie!! :)

brandi     at 10:20 am

What a fun lunch date! And that quinoa sounds delicious.

i saw your comment on wanting to have a baby this year! So exciting :) and a common goal here, too. It may be an exciting year in the blogging world!

kell     at 10:23 am

YES!!! authenticity is awesome and so much more interesting than a sugar-coated, wishy-washy, super-safe view. i think this is why you are so adored anyway though, you seem to have a perfect balance of that confidence to speak your mind and the sweet willingness to listen to others.
thanks for the inspiration!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 10:43 am

Good for you Emily! I am doing the same this year. I am tired of being afraid of the unknown! It is time to step up and take the good and the bad full force!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 10:45 am

Kudos Emily!! I think your readers appreciate your raw-ness, both food wise and writing wise. I like your attitude of just go for it and take risks. My favorite quote “The walls you build up to keep out the bad, also keep out the good.” Thanks for that reminder to take risks!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing     at 11:11 am

Already your ability to take risks is very inspiring to me!! Quitting your desk job and going to culinary school is my dream life…if only I could find the risk taker in me :).

You can do it too! :)

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 11:19 am

The fact that you are so bold and passionate in your posts makes me come back every day to ready more annnnd of course the beautiful food you create, but that’s a given). I think it is so great that you know where your heart is, and you are not afraid to share that with the rest of the blogging community. Thanks for all that you do!!! Keep up the risk-taking :)

Jennifer Cook     at 11:48 am

Your post about the Biggest Loser Marathon, which I believe I found through Sparkpeople, is what made me start following you. I felt the exact same way and was saying the same thing to my husband as I was watching it! After reading that, I immediately started reading tons of your old posts, and I love your style. Excited for more no holds-barred posts this year!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen     at 12:04 pm

I love your outlook, Emily, you’re so inspiring!

For me, this year is also about taking a big leap of faith. I’ve thought about going to culinary school, literally for nearly half my life, but was never brave enough to take the leap and actually do it. Until now. Finding your blog and reading your story gave me the nudge I needed (thank you!!). I’m starting school in a few months and couldn’t be more excited.

AMAZING!!! Where are you going!?!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen Reply:

I’m going to the French Culinary Institute in NYC.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans     at 12:57 pm

I love that you are confident enough to ignore the critics and write what you believe. I think its important to address the issues that otehrs shy away from in fear of backlash. I don’t want my blog to be popular because I conform but because people want to read what I have to say even if they don’t always agree. I think it’s time to write the weight loss post that I have been mulling over for weeks!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 1:10 pm

Seeing as the posts your reference are some of my favorite posts from you to date I can’t wait to see what else you have in store for us!

Tina     at 1:14 pm

Lunch looks amazing! I wasn’t hungry until I read this post!

and amen to taking risks. A lot of my goals for this year involve doing so as well. Sometimes the only way to succeed or obtain what you really want is by taking chances. Good luck in all your endeavors, I’m sure it won’t disappoint!

Jen     at 2:49 pm

I used to care way too much what others thought and over censored everything…it’s exhausting! I’m trying to teach my children to be themselves, it’s time I start listening to myself!!

Jen

gas     at 3:12 pm

Simply state the truth within the range of your experience and knowledge and maybe even contextualize the range of your knowledge and experience. That is what I am interested in. I am not interested in an apologist, a fanatic, or an Amway sales person.

For example the only person I know who is into raw foods is basically interested in selling me raw foods. She’s always sticking a cacao bean in my pie hole or dropping some plankton juice on my tongue and cackling about how that drop is raw APT “can’t you feel it coursing through your veins!!! Don’t you feel like running 12 flights of stairs!!!”. She’s nuts. That is not how ATP works. What she knows is based on some Guru who writes books and is basically interested in selling books on raw food and little bottles of plankton juice. None of that is interesting to me. Raw food may be interesting to me, I don’t know enough about it, but I DO KNOW HYPE

What is interesting to me is someones experience based in reality and written with a critical eye. If you can’t share the truth but only the hype, Then Chia seeds to me remain the things you paste on a chia pet because the ooo and the ahhh and the amazzzzinnggg sounds more bla bla bla. (actually I do know something about chia seeds because I’m interested in their fatty acid and amino acid composition as an alternative dietary source. (I eat a lot of protein and one man can only stand so much chicken before he considers the value of eating his shot gun)

Take your chances BUT tell the truth as best you know it, as honestly as you know it, your success will be outrageous.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 3:28 pm

I wrote this comment on Gena’s blog, very similar to this…

First, I am beyond jealz of this meetup! Two amazing, smart, witty, passionate women…together for a raw vegan lunch. Ok, I want to come next time! :)

I shy away from certain topics on my blog now. I didnt used to but I admit, when I post about certain things, espi related to vegan issues, I get a lot of criticism from both sides. I am not a good enough vegan for the vegans, i.e. trace dairy or a 10 year old leather purse, and I am too “out there” for the mainstream it seems.

So, the best policy, for me personally b/c I hate waiting for the other shoe to drop when I open my inbox…is to just not post about hot topics or possibly controversial issues (and the biggest one is discussing veganism b/c it seems to bring this “drama” out like no other topic I write about)…but i totally realize that we all must be the change we wish to see. Thank you for the reminder, Emily!

And I am so happy for you and Gena to have connected!

MaryBe     at 3:32 pm

I am extremely jealous of your lunch and your lunch date! If Mama Pea had been there too I would be throwing a temper tantrum.
Did she love your pups?

The pups definitely liked HER – lots of jumping!!

Maddie     at 3:40 pm

What a fun lunch date. I agree with what you said about taking risks! 2011 will be a great year.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 3:57 pm

I just had lunch with Gena today and had so much fun :) She is thoughtful and eloquent and direct and the time just flew by. Sounds like you had a great lunch too :)

Stacey     at 4:19 pm

It looks like you had a fun and healthy lunch!

Anna     at 9:09 pm

Wonderful post, Emily! And very timely for me. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about being more forthright and honest with my blogging. Sometimes I think I too often fall into the bad habit of writing for other people- writing in a style and on a subject that I believe will please others. In 2011, I pledge to throw that crap out the window and start blogging how I want to blog, not how other people want me to!

gina (fitnessista)     at 10:39 pm

so fun that you had lunch with roomstar :) wish i could have joined you girls
looking forward to continuing to read your blog in 2011 and all of the exciting adventures that are ahead <3

Candice @ChiaSeedMe     at 11:24 pm

Aw, I love this post Emily! After meeting both you and Gena I can only imagine what a fabulous time you two had together. Both of you are so sweet and so passionate about what you do. So fun:)

I love your theme of taking risks – that has definitely been a theme in my life over the last 6 months and I hope/plan to continue it even more throughout 2011. Thanks for writing such an honest post…it was a great reminder to me of how important it is to risk everything for something that really matters. I needed that right now.

You’re awesome!

Thanks Candice!

freja     at 8:35 am

de-lurking to tell you that i LOVE when you speak your mind. you have a uniquely smart voice in the blogosphere and i love reading what you have to say. the calorie counting post and the others you posted were daring and i encourage you to continue!

Thanks Freja!

Megan     at 8:53 am

Hey lady!

It’s me again wondering what setting and water to use on the quinoa. I use the quick cooking setting, right? But how much water?

I will most definitely be making that exact recipe to put in my salad this afternoon.

Also, thanks for all you said about not letting criticism affect you so strongly. I tend to suffer from the same problem and censor myself in order to not upset anyone. I abstained this whole week in preparation for the half marathon I’m running tomorrow. It’s amazing how people react. You’re an inspiration. You remind me to stay strong.

Megan

I made a BIG batch of this – 2 cups dry – so I actually used the regular setting since I wanted to make sure it all cooked through completely. I did 2 cups dry quinoa, 4 cups water. Hope that helps!