Big Apple, Big Dreams.

Yesterday morning we woke up ready to take advantage of our last (half) day in New York.  Out the door early to soak up a little more NYC sunshine.

I know when I am in DC, I never get tired of seeing all the monuments and amazing architecture on every corner.  I imagine New Yorkers feel the same way – there is so much to take in.

I solicited my Twitter friends for another bagel recommendation – as much as I loved our first spot, I hate eating somewhere twice when there are so many other options.  We ended up at Murray’s Bagels in Chelsea, which was clearly the place to be on a Sunday morning!

Despite the crowds, I stalked a few tables and ended up scoring us a table for four.  Afterwards Casey remarked, “You could definitely be a New Yorker.  You are so damn feisty.”  I take that as a compliment.  :)

At my hard-earned table, I enjoyed the “health” bagel – which I think was whole wheat everything, smeared with a generous amount of tofu vegetable cream cheese.  Seriously – vegan options EVERYwhere!  It gives me hope for the rest of the country.

Murray’s was adorable, and I think I actually liked it better than Ess-A Bagel.  In my bagel book, doughy wins out over crunchy.  I also announced upon leaving that I will never eat another non-NYC bagel.  Nothing else can possibly compare!

Our only plan for the afternoon was to eat and walk – and we did both of those things quite well.  We started out in the Chelsea neighborhood…

And eventually made our way into Greenwich Village, and beautiful Washington Park.  The snow on the trees was so pretty!

I really liked the Greenwich Village area.  I could see myself living there.  :)

A few more miles of walking through SoHo and the shopping district, we ended up in Little Italy at Lombardi’s Pizza!

One of my requirements for our visit was authentic New York style pizza.  Half cheese for me, cheese-less for my other half.

Super thin New York style crust, mmmm.  The pizza was good, but not the best I’ve ever had.  Will the New Yorkers hate me if I say I think I like Chicago style better?

I loved the great authentic feel to this spot – plastic checked tablecloths, pictures with celebs on the walls, and piping hot pizza.

Full from lunch, we headed back out into the snow.  Not a great weekend for riding your bike!

We continued to walk south and ended up running into Chinatown!  When I was last in NYC in college, I went down to Chinatown and bought a bunch of fake designer purses.  :)  My how times have changed!

No purses this time, it was all about the atmosphere and the FOOD.  I am a big advocate of bulk shopping, but this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind…

Chinatown is so interesting – it truly feels like you’ve walked into another country.  And as fascinating as I found it, I also wanted to make sure to be respectful and selective with my camera, not forgetting that this is how people really live.

This long line stretched down the block – all people waiting in line to buy MILK!

All sorts of interesting and unrecognizable food.  I have a pretty good eye for obscure ingredients, but most of these were new even to me.

But there was one exotic food that I recognized from half-way down the block – DURIAN!

Durian is a notoriously STINKY exotic fruit that is not seen very often in the US.  We talked about them a lot in culinary school, and they always seem to end up in the baskets on Chopped, but I had never seen (or smelled) one up close in person before.

Before I knew what was happening, Jordan was buying one and announcing that we were all going to EAT durian before we left.  There were actually a lot of people buying it, which made me feel a little bit better about his decision.  The inside was not at all what I expected – almost pudding-like.

The durian tasting commenced – Casey went back for several more forkfuls, while Laura looked like she was going to gag.

This was the extent of my tasting.  I’m a pretty adventurous eater, but this was NOT my cup of tea.  It tasted like a fibrous oniony pudding – horrific.

Happy I tasted it.  Even happier to never have to taste it again.  :)

We marched on through Chinatown…

And found ourselves at our last stop for the weekend – the doorway of BABYCAKES!

My friend Mary Ann gave me the Babycakes cookbook for Christmas, and I have been dying to visit ever since.

It was SO tiny inside – I had to really squeeze and zoom out just to get a few photos.  The décor was really retro and playful – I loved it.

Even the staff were dressed in crazy old-school outfits – it made the whole experience much more fun.  My takeaway from Babycakes AND Tu-Lu’s was that you don’t have to do something BIG in order to get noticed.  Both of these bakeries have well-known cookbooks, features on Food Network, and die-hard followings, and yet they are both so small that they can barely hold a handful of people at one time.  It just goes to show that anything is possible if the food is good.

I left feeling inspired.  I also left with a giant box of baked goods.

Cinnamon spice and chocolate crunch donuts, along with vanilla, banana, and carrot cake cupcakes.  All vegan, and all gluten-free.

This box served as a delicious dinner on our long bus ride home to DC.  Yep – the whole box.  Don’t judge.

Now we are home safe and sound in Virginia, and I am missing the snowy streets of NYC just a bit.  Hoping to get back sooner than later, and adding “live in New York City” to my life list.  Because just as I realized at Babycakes, it never hurts to dream big.

Jessica M     at 5:57 pm

Looks like you guys are having fun!

I have read that durian is very good for you. But it sounds/looks gross! You are brave for trying it.

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 5:57 pm

I saw the most recent Durian episode of chopped! It looks so gross, not sure I’ll ever get around to trying it! haha

Theodora     at 5:58 pm

I think living in NYC is a great idea :)

If you decide to go back on your word to never eat another non-NYC bagel again, I can tell you the places in DC that I thought were the closest to NYC bagels!!!

I think I would like to hear those. :)

Theodora Reply:

Bagels and Baguettes, near Union Station (http://www.bagelsandbaguettes.net/) and Brooklyn Bagel (http://www.brooklynbagelva.com/) in the Courthouse/Clarendon area. And as far as NY-style pizza in DC…the best I found was Victor’s, in Bethesda. (http://www.victorspizzaandkabob.com/)

And yes, I spent seven years in DC trying to find NY-style food. Finally, I gave up and just moved back up here :)

Haha AWESOME! Thank you!

Blog is the New Black     at 6:02 pm

Ok, the durian didn’t do it for me, but at least you made up for it with cupcakes!

Kara @ Kara's Marathon     at 6:03 pm

Glad you enjoyed your weekend in the city! You were lucky to get such nice, snow-free (except for the TONS on the ground) weather :)

I do have to say that I wouldn’t consider Lombardi’s “New York-style pizza” — I’d reserve that definition for the huge, greasy slices from the hole-in-the-wall pizzerias that you eat folded in half. NY-style pizza has a thicker, chewier crust and a much more favorable cheese-to-sauce ratio than what you had!

That is totally what I wanted – floppy, cheesy, fold-in-half pizza. I will try again. :) This was much more of an Italian style!

Natalia - a side of simple Reply:

Your description of NY style pizza is what you HAVE to go back for!! Oh, and some more gluten-free cupcakes :)

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 6:03 pm

Okay, so I commented on your foodbuzz video that I hoped Food Network would pick you up and you could have a show. However, now I think you should start a Daily Garnish coffee shop and bakery!

I think I want that too. :)

BrightBakes     at 6:05 pm

oh emily! I just did a huge smile when i saw you went to Lombardi’s..that is one of my all time NYC favs! Makes me lonesome for the east coast and my old stompin’ grounds…
And the next time I get back to visit, babycakes is DEFINITELY on the list!
love,
cathy b.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 6:10 pm

I grew up with a few of those obscure ingredients in our pantry/fridge and I just ignore them. Somehow they are transformed into dishes by my dad! We ate durian when we visited Thailand (13 years ago) and it is so damn stinky. Ahhh nightmares.

I’m sure if you know how to cook them they can be quite tasty. You should embrace the fact that you have cool cultural food under your roof! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 6:14 pm

When I moved from NYC to DC, I was kicking and screaming about the move – it felt so sudden. I know I have gotten to live in NYC for almost 3 years total (there were some gaps when I was in school, but my time in NYC adds up to 3 years) and yet it never felt like enough. Then again, I do love my life in DC, so I that helps :) It took me 2 years to stop missing NYC every single day, but the nostalgia comes back in a minute, such as when I was reading your post :)

Both cities have so much to offer, in such different ways. I love NY, but I really love it here too. :)

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]     at 6:14 pm

Haha! Durian is definitely an acquired taste. I love it. :) But yeah, it’s soo stinky. They have banned it from buses and hotels in Thailand from what I know.

AJ @ Flowing to Fifty     at 6:16 pm

What a fabulous way to spend a day! It makes me want to visit NYC again very soon. Love the cupcakes….but not the durian. Pass.

Krissy - Shiawase Life     at 6:27 pm

Great post! I love babycakes, have never had the NYC original, but had them when I was in Orlando; they just opened a branch at Downtown Disney there!

Oh wow – I had no idea!

Rebecca Young     at 6:29 pm

Wow! I’ve been reading your blog for a while, but haven’t commented before.

Your pictures from NYC are amazing! I went for the first time last year (we landed on Valentine’s Day). I absolutely loved it and your updates are bringing it all back to me.

We live in Guernsey, Channel Island, GB. We just cannot wait to go back again (when we can afford the flights!)

Glad you’ve had such an amazing time!

How cool – I have never been to GB! That is also on the list. :)

Rebecca Young Reply:

Well if you ever travel to Britain, make sure you take a trip to the Channel Islands! Guernsey is amazing. You may have heard of a book called ‘The Guernsey Literacy and Potato Peal Society’? Well that was set in Guernsey during the war. Great book – it’s being made into a film at the moment!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 6:30 pm

i LOVE this post! i’m about an 60-90 min upstate from NYC and when I go down its like being in a different world! its a foodies dream!

JL goes Vegan     at 6:32 pm

Loved seeing NYC through your eyes over the weekend! You hit the right spots! :) Casey is vegan, yes? Which did he prefer? Candle or Pure? A month ago I would have said Candle is my favorite but now that I’m incorporating higher raw into my diet, I’d like to get back to Pure soon — I think my perspective may have changed a bit.

Casey is mostly vegan (no dairy), but does eat eggs. I think he was kind of torn between the two – we got to eat more variety at Pure, so it’s hard to compare. I liked the bigger portions at Candle, but Casey thought there were a little too many of the “fake meat” type menu items. We are also trying to eat more raw these days.

JL goes Vegan Reply:

I tend to agree with Casey. But sometimes I just can’t resist a comfort-food seitan dish (their house Seiten Piccata is awesome). But I like the creativity require at Pure.

Re: RAW…I’m becoming a convert (to “higher” not 100%) My energy level is increasing dramatically, which is unheard of for me in the heart of winter!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 6:41 pm

Omg, there is no way I could leave Babycakes without at least a dozen of something!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 6:41 pm

I’ve only heard my husband talk about the time he tried durian and how stinky it was, so I’m pretty sure I don’t want to be anywhere near it!!

Maggie     at 6:41 pm

As a life-long NYer I can say with 100% certainty that Lombardi’s is NOT NY-style pizza ;) It’s more like the traditional pizza you find in Italy. Next time you’re here you will have to go to Ray’s or one of the $1 per slice places that have popped up recently, although there probably won’t be a vegan option!

And you should check out Brooklyn. Seeing how much you like Old Town I think you would really like Brooklyn.

That is totally what I was looking for – floppy, cheesy, giant slices! Alright, I won’t give up – definitely need to try more pizza next time. Number ONE priority for our next trip is to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge – I’m sad we didn’t make it over this time!

Alex Gallegos     at 6:41 pm

How Funny! Murrays Bagels is literally right down my street. Hope you had a great time!

Beth     at 6:45 pm

Mmm, you’re making me crave some real NYC bagels and pizza! Looks like you had an excellent trip to the city.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 6:49 pm

I love the vegan options! That bagel looks amazing :)

Lisa     at 6:51 pm

Emily, what a lovely post and recap of NYC. Having just moved here myself 6 months ago at the age of 31, I’m living proof that it’s never too late to dream big! They call it the Big Apple for a reason.

I’m also not even close to Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten free, but you’ve convinced me to try Pure and Babycakes regardless. You certainly have a way with words. :-)

How cool! :) Definitely try those spots – both worth the walk and the price tag. Highly recommend the donuts at Babycakes.

Bronwyn     at 6:52 pm

Judge? Never! More like JEALOUS. Looks like a delicious dinner to me.

I never judge when it comes to dessert, ESPECIALLY decent gluten-free dessert. Hard to find!

And I don’t like NYC style pizza which I refer to as “cracker pizza” because it’s like eating a cracker with toppings. Pizza is THICK and doughy and chewy, and so hard to make that way AND gluten-free.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 7:15 pm

Ah, sunshine:) Bottle some up and send it to me?

I would if we had any here in Virginia! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 7:21 pm

I love the last sentence. :D That has been my adopted life motto since October when I started taking running seriously. :D

NYC is so amazing! Glad you had a great time!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 7:28 pm

I want more details on how the babycakes loot tasted! What was your favorite treat?

Definitely the donuts. The cupcakes were good, but the donuts were crazy good. So soft and doughy!! I also really liked the icing on the cupcakes. I think they use coconut oil? Great texture.

Alaina     at 7:31 pm

Now THAT is my kind of trip! Just walking around and eating. :-) Reminds me of when I was in Paris and Zurich.

I remember watching Andrew Zimmern try to eat durian and he could never get past the texture. I don’t know if I’m as adventurous as you.

We totally talked about AZ while we were eating the durian!

megan @ blackberries for jam     at 8:15 pm

I lived in NYC for 5 years and the FOOD is what I miss most! I think you hit most of my favorites on your trip – you really planned those few days well!

And what I would do for a babycakes cupcake now! I have the cookbook too and the cupcakes and frosting are totally different than the deliciousness they serve in the bakery.

Lee     at 8:18 pm

Your trip sounded like so much fun. I’ve been to NYC a few times, but have only done the big touristy things (Broadway play, Statue of Liberty etc). I would like to just walk around and explore. That’s the best way to get a real feel for a city.

Third trip to NYC and I STILL haven’t seen the Statue of Liberty! On my list for the next trip.

Lauren     at 8:23 pm

Noting compares to NYC bagels. But I’m pretty sure those cupcakes would make anyone die and go to heaven. So glad you guys are having a great time. :)

Shannon @ A Better Me     at 8:28 pm

I walked through Chinatown in San Francisco…crazy! It literally was like a different country all together. You got some great pics of NYC and Babycakes looks really good!!

The Chinatown in NYC is like 10x bigger and crazier than the one in SF! It’s insane. Although I do love the hanging lanterns in San Fran. :)

kelsey     at 8:28 pm

you are too cute! love your white hat. so glad you had a great time and that you were able to go home with babycakes!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt     at 8:43 pm

You’re killing me with the bagels, cupcakes, and pizza!! I want it all! I grew up in NY…and they know how to do carbs right in that city. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 8:44 pm

i love all your pics!!

and i totally agree w/ you on durian…NO WAY!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:44 pm

I’ve seen Murray’s Bagels on a show on the Travel Channel before! They looked delicious!

Jess (Sweet Potato)     at 8:49 pm

I had Durian in Vietnam. Well, I smelled it, saw the texture and knew I would not be fond of it… so I passed. It’s extremely popular among the Vietnamese though… I guess its an acquired taste??

Ick. Not one I can acquire!

kath     at 9:01 pm

Oniony pudding!?!?!? AHHH!

Glad you guys had fun :)

You would have DIED. Funny, I actually brought you up at the bagel shop because we were talking about onions. When we busted into the durian, Jordan said “you friend would NOT like this.” :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 9:10 pm

Awww…so fun!! I love the cupcakes; too cute! :D

Devon @ Fast Foodie     at 9:13 pm

I love Babycakes. I went there when I was in town for a near-by ultra. So the day after the 50 miler I just sat in there and indulged in a slice of cake, a cookie and some fun conversation with the gals that work there.

Marie@feedingfive     at 9:31 pm

Just wondering about the milk line. Was it a special asian milk or just regular milk? Are regular grocery stores not around that area? I can’t imagine waiting in such a long line for milk.

No idea – everything was written in Chinese. Didn’t look special to me though. Everything is sort of done in an outdoor market style – my understanding is that that’s just the way the Chinatown residents do their shopping!

Maddie     at 9:31 pm

Looks like a great trip! The Babycakes goods look incredible and the durian sounds interesting haha.

Kamaile     at 9:34 pm

I loved Babycakes!! I stayed in the lower east side and loved that area. I really wanted to tour the Lower East Side Tenement museum that is next to Babycakes. There is too much to see!! I bet the pups are glad you are back. Welcome home. :)

Rachel Mount     at 9:35 pm

ahhh Murrays! That’s my summer bagel+read the NYT place–and if you come back in the summer, there’s a secret little park a block away. good good stuff!

Amanda     at 9:40 pm

Oh my gosh, my brother found durian flavored candies and put them in our stockings. I knew nothing of durian and tried one a few days later and almost gagged. What a cruel joke!

That is SICK.

emily     at 9:43 pm

Eeek, so glad you got to go to Babycakes! It is right by Whole Foods and Sugar Sweet Sunshine (best cupcakes in the city) so the whole neighborhood always felt magical to me!

Sarah     at 9:47 pm

Yum, Babycakes! I loved everything I ate from the bakery when I went. So glad that you and Casey had a fabulous weekend in NYC!

Yin     at 10:03 pm

I think a lot of people buy soybean milk from there! I’ve had it before and it’s nothing special, but you should try the tofufa/dau fu fa next time :)

I didn’t try anything because I couldn’t READ anything! Maybe next time I’ll try to plan a meal in Chinatown.

Yin Reply:

I don’t know if it was your intention but I’m a little offended by your capitalization of ‘READ.’ I acknowledge you’re not familiar with the Chinese language but my comment wasn’t to be condescending. It was just a suggestion to try a product the stand is popular for.

Oh my gosh – I’m so sorry. Not at all my intention. I just meant that since everything was in Chinese characters, I didn’t feel comfortable eating anything I was unsure of. I would love to try one of the tofu dishes if the vendors could assure me it was meat-free (seemed like most things were very meat and fish heavy). The durian man was very helpful and nice! Again, so sorry. :(

Yin Reply:

It’s okay, I guess things were lost in translation
over the net.

Thanks Yin – I really am sorry. I feel terrible that I offended you! I will choose my words more carefully next time. :)

Sara (Miles and Manhattan)     at 10:26 pm

Aw fun to see pics of you in my hood :) Murray’s is our bagel place (the one in Greenwich Village/where we lives) It’s one of my favorite foods in the WORLD…
S

Carolyn     at 10:37 pm

I live in Chelsea!!! You were right in my ‘hood. :) Next time, go to Brooklyn Bagel. It’s my fave! It’s at 24th/8th ave. :)

Sabina     at 10:41 pm

super wicked that you visited babycakes!

i tried durian once and … never again!

:-)

Taysa     at 10:53 pm

Aaaaahh, I was surrounded by durian when I stayed with my friend’s family in Hong Kong — they ate it for dessert! I couldn’t get over the smell of cat pee.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 12:28 am

I have had the nonpleasure of tasting durian… one of the only things I’ve ever put in my mouth that I didn’t like (TWSS!) :D

Hilarious. But I agree – there really isn’t a food I dont like. Until the durian…

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook     at 12:52 am

I loooove all the vegan options! Seriously looks so delicious! All I want is a bagel and a pastry right now!! Yum yum.

Meagan     at 1:00 am

Watch out – you might catch the “time to move” bug again!

Heather @ Hungry Heather     at 3:23 am

Yay, you made it to so many great places and explored like so many visitors – and native NYers – forget to do!

I’m sad I didn’t bump into you in Chinatown as I was around for several hours that afternoon, too. Next time you come, come visit the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory!
On another note, those long lines at the store for groceries and goods were because it was the last weekend before the Lunar New Year on Thursday, so everyone was stocking up and buying flowers and ingredients to cook with over the next few days. =)

Oh boo – would have been fun to meet you! I thought maybe Chinatown was so busy because it was Sunday, but your explanation makes much more sense. Thanks!

Caroline     at 5:47 am

Emily – your posts about NYC are perfect timing because I’m heading up for a solo weekend of adventuring Feb 11-13, and I’m even more excited after reading your posts about great spots to eat. Bagels & cupcakes are definitely on the list! Thanks for always blogging such happy, relevant, and awesome info. Have a great day.

Yay you will have so much fun! The best way to explore any city is on foot. :)

Hope     at 8:06 am

What a great trip! It looks like you had so much fun! I remember seeing a durian on Chopped. I don’t think I would ever be brave enough to taste it. It looks gross! Haha. I really want to try babycakes! It looks so cute in there :)

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers     at 8:19 am

What a great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us. I love to visit NYC, but it’s not on my list of places to live.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 8:21 am

The WSP arch, Babycakes…you were right in my neck of the woods! Downtown is by far my favorite part of the city, and I think visitors often overlook it. Glad you had a good few days and that the weather cooperated while you were here. We’re supposed to get another dumping of snow today!

I thought of you when I saw all the NYU signs and flags – figured it was your area! :)

bitt     at 8:34 am

I think people either love durian or hate it. I really like the flavor but the texture throws me off, it’s too meat-like. So I prefer it blended like in a smoothie or pudding.

Sounds like a great trip!

I couldn’t handle the aftertaste. Ick.

alana (at) the food     at 8:43 am

NYC is for sure my next ‘big’ trip and you have just further convinced me of that!
i don’t like durian.
in asian countries, most hotels have signs in the lobbies that say “no durian” banning guests from keeping it in their rooms because it smells so bad!

that is awesome. to be honest, it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, but I still wouldn’t want it in my hotel room.

Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well     at 9:12 am

Love reading about your NY adventures! Now I want a cupcake and a bagel ASAP!

Mandy     at 9:23 am

Was that a Golden Girls picture I spied at Babycakes? Epic……
Your whole trip seemed amazing! I would love to go a city like that and just eat my way though it while taking in the sites! Sounds perfect!

yes, totally! and it was AUTOGRAPHED! :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:23 am

what a great dinner :) and trip of course!

amy     at 9:50 am

I enjoyed that tremendously. That’s why I love this blogging.

jeff     at 9:56 am

your dinner @ Pure had my mouth watering… as much as i hate the big city, it looks like you and casey did it right.

the only nagging question: does durian smell as bad as what we’ve been led to believe?

NO! I kept thinking back to Pearson’s story about the durian in Thailand. I mean it was stinky, but NOT that bad. You had to really stick your nose in it to smell it. I feel like his stories were all 80% exaggerated (also very entertaining). How can you hate NYC? So much FOOD!!

Miss you. :)

Cara     at 10:51 am

The next time you’re in New York, you MUST try Absolute Bagels on the UWS (108th and Broadway). The line is out the door and the bagels are epic.

Leanne (For Health's Sake)     at 10:52 am

Dream Big! <— do it!

Chase     at 12:03 pm

AHH! Durian! I’ve only ever heard of it in lore! Even Andrew Zimmern won’t eat it! I secretly also want to try it but I’m sure I wouldn’t eat anymore than you did.

Tracey     at 12:20 pm

Now I want a NYC bagel immediately! I wonder if I can get them shipped?

Let me know if you find a way! :)

Kami     at 2:04 pm

I visit NYC nearly every year. Your trip makes me want to hop a flight right now! I’ve never had durian but my dad used to eat when I was kid. The smell alone scared me away.

lindsay     at 2:31 pm

I just saw durian on a food network show this weekend and Leke was telling me all about it and how smelly and yucky it is…I am going to send him this blog post…such a funny coicidence!

Megan (Braise The Roof)     at 2:37 pm

Haha, well even if the New Yorkers hate you for liking Chicago pizza, this Chicagoan supports you!! :) It looks like such a fun trip, and I’m glad you didn’t get pelted with snow while you were there!

LauraJayne     at 2:44 pm

It sounds like your trip was wonderful! I am totally partial to Chicago pizza too – I think it is all about the crust for me!

Stacey     at 2:58 pm

How fun! I want to go to NY so bad :) I love how they have vegan options almost everywhere.
Question: the photo after you talk about Greenwich Village, the one with the columns and dome-looking sort of thing ;) Is that the same spot that Harry met Sally in the movie When Harry Met Sally?? I know I sound like a big dork, but it looks just like the movie!

Haha I have no idea – maybe??

Blair     at 4:21 pm

Pure food and wine is right by my apartment! It is such a great place…they also have their cute little takeaway place called one lucky duck that has amazing smoothies. To add to your list next time you should try rockin’ raw in brooklyn, angelica kitchen is good too (manhattan), cafe viva for vegan pizza, liquiteria – smoothies, and dirt candy. Love your blog and glad to see you loved visiting nyc!

Jen     at 5:43 pm

Emily – Go here:
Not only amazing hot chocolate and a to-die-for pretzel croissant, but a food bar with all kinds of healthy (and un-healthy) treats.

Samantha     at 6:19 pm

I had babycakes the last time I was in LA and I bought a big box of stuff and ate about all of it while sitting in traffic going back to our hotel. I about died when I had the carrot cake, it was amazing.

Doris     at 7:35 pm

My husband and his mom love durian and they eat it frozen. Rest of the family won’t even get near it. I was “forced” to try once and actually kinda creamy like an ice-cream. Maybe that is the way to eat a durian.

Dominique     at 1:26 am