Casual Friday.

Since they can’t all be deep, conversation producing thoughts or drool-inducing recipes, think of this as a blogger’s equivalent to casual Friday.  Or maybe, the Hawaiian shirt wearing uncle.

In the spirit of Friday, here are a few random pieces of info (that you probably never wanted) to carry you into your weekend…

Once upon a time, I had a serious shoe problem.  I lived for cute heels and fabulous patterns.  I still have all of my favorites, but wear them very rarely.  Embarrassingly enough, this is just the winter collection – boxes of sandals and wedges are hiding under my bed.

These days, the only shoes I really ever wear (both in and out of the house) are actually slippers from Old Navy.  I try to justify this by calling them "moccasins."

I never had a boyfriend in high school.  The entire concept completely terrified me.  In fact, my first boyfriend wasn’t until I was twenty years old, and in my whole life I have only had three total.  I married the third one.

Next month, I turn thirty.  In 48 days to be exact, but who’s counting?  I’m actually excited about this milestone birthday.  Things have only gotten better as I have gotten older, and every year I get to know myself a little bit more.

The only thing NOT good about aging?  Do you see what I see?  I swear these wrinkles appeared overnight.  Can someone recommend some wrinkle cream?  (Did I just type that?)

Also, I am 100% aware that my eyebrows are OUT of control.  It is one of those things I have simply avoided dealing with, but my goal for January is to face my fear and get them done by the end of the month.  Eeeeeek!

And last but not least, can someone please explain THIS to me?

Happy weekend friends!  I hope everyone has a safe and relaxing evening.  We are headed out to see Black Swan tonight – excited!

—————————

New Media & Press and Travel pages added – check ‘em out!

Kristy @ KristyRuns     at 12:10 pm

Awwww! Your pups are so cute!

And about the eyes…don’t worry. Welcome to my life. No matter how much sleep I get, my eyes always look puffy and tired. Sad day. I just spent waaaaay too much on an eye cream. I’ll let you know how it goes. :) Cross your fingers.

Sally Mae     at 12:12 pm

This is probably my favorite all time post from you! I agree about getting older…I swear I just get smarter!!!!!

Amanda     at 12:12 pm

Happy Friday! I love the pup-cuddling going on. I wish we had another so Reddick could have a napping buddy. No wrinkle cream recommendation, but when your Old Navy Moccs see their last day, I highly recommend Minnetonka Moccasins. I’ve been wearing them since I was little. I have boots, slippers, shoes, etc. and am not ashamed that they, too, are my go-to shoe all winter. Have a good weekend!

Leah Reply:

I just discovered Minnetonka! I put a few pairs on my Amazon wish list, thank you for the suggestion!

Amanda Reply:

No problem! We used to own a store that sold them and now my aunt owns it. I’m sure she would be happy for the business and maybe I can do a blogger discount. :)

Leah Reply:

Cool! I have to wait until after my Birthday though (Jan 18) to see if my hubby got me a pair. If not I’m taking my Birthday $$ to get some for myself. :)

Carla @ I Run, You Run     at 12:13 pm

Surprisingly those stands at the Pentagon City Mall do a GREAT job on the eyebrows. It’s $10 for the threading — hurts like hell, I’m not going to lie, but it shaped my eyebrows beautifully when I let them grow out for my wedding.

Now for the wrinkles, I love philosophy. I use this kit: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P239600&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3866 It’s a fortune, but totally worth it! I actually saw a difference on my face (and now post-wedding I’ve been a bit lazy, but need to kick it in gear again).

Blog is the New Black     at 12:14 pm

You are beautiful, old lady! ;)

Natalia@The Health Script     at 12:14 pm

I don’t think anyone can explain that! Dogs are so funny. My dog hates sleeping on dog beds and instead sleeps on the cold hard floor. Is that really more comfortable??

Erica     at 12:15 pm

I didn’t have a boyfriend in high school either, and it scared me too. I’ve only had 2 boyfriends, one for about 2 weeks when I got to college, and then I met my second boyfriend about a week into second semester of college, and now we’re married :) I think it was for the best!

I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle cream at night – it is nice!

Ellen W. Reply:

It got a “Paula’s Pick” from the Costmetics Cop, Paula Begoun. I have no idea if it’s working on my wrinkles because I just started using it two weeks ago when I realized I was turning 30 in a few months, so I totally understand!

(Ms. Begoun’s book “Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me” sort of reads like it’s a transcript of an infomercial that’s not actually selling anything but there’s still a lot of yelling, but the factual information is very interesting and helpful if you have problems with your skin, and who doesn’t? Your local library probably has a copy if you’re interested.)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks     at 12:15 pm

Not to hinder you from accomplishing your January grooming goal, but I just wanted to tell you I think your eyebrows look great, lol! I think a nice, full, natural eyebrow actually makes people look much more youthful. And yours definitely aren’t out of control. Happy almost 30 — I just turned 26 THIS MORNING!

Leah Reply:

full brows are in for 2011 according to all the fashion experts! I would suggest sugaring over waxing (found at the organic/natural type spas). I have been doing sugaring since 2004. :)

Mari Reply:

Happy birthday!!!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks Reply:

Thanks!

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini     at 12:16 pm

That is hilarious and I hate to say it, but your eyebrows ARE out of control. The only reason I can say this is because mines are too. I had my waxed recently and normally I pluck, but damn those little hairs grow so quickly!

Theresa     at 12:16 pm

I love the random facts! And how cute are those pups! Black Swan was really intense, REALLY intense. But I liked it the more I thought about it. I think Natalie Portman will definitely get an Oscar. Have fun. :)

Stefanie     at 12:16 pm

Aw, that is too cute that they chose to sleep in the same bed when it would be much more roomy to sleep apart!

I have a bit of a shoe addiction too. About 95% of them don’t get worn! I usually neglect my cute heels and wedges–but I can’t bear to part with them!

Two Pitties in the City     at 12:18 pm

Of course I have to respond to the dog part; our dogs love sleeping together that they’re always smooshing onto one little bed and keeping the other one empty–I actually just wrote about it in yesterday’s post!
I feel like when I hit 30 I started noticing so many physical differences, that other people probably don’t see. Though I just started getting into good skincare: I like the Estee Lauder eyecream, and Revive makes the best night cream. It’s super expensive, but I’ve found some good deals, with good product, on Ebay. I think you’re right though, that instead of being afraid of getting old, each year just gets a little better.

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 12:21 pm

I loved this post! The pups are so cute.

I love that you have a shoe problem. I kind of do too, but even I’m in awe of your collection.

GORGEOUS wedding photo.

I also need wrinkle cream for my eyes. Please post all the recommendations you get. :)

Becca     at 12:21 pm

Natural eyebrows are so in right now! And my mum’s dogs do that – sometimes I guess they just need cuddles.

Gwen     at 12:22 pm

I have those same yellow shoes from target on the second shelf :) I wore them in our engagement pics even. And I LURVE your wedding pic! GORGEOUS

Happy casual friday!

Cristen     at 12:23 pm

Loved this post!

I was so glad to read that you’re actually looking forward to turning 30. I turned 30 last year and it has been one of the best years of my life!

colleen     at 12:23 pm

Happy Casual Friday! All Fridays should be casual. Dogs can be hard to understand. Their little quirks are what I love though. I can relate on the boyfriends. Never had one until college and then I had two – married the second. I can also relate to the shoes (and bags). Lately though, I have been taken a tough love approach to weeding them out and donating what I can. You are aging very well. I say embraces your 30s.

kelly     at 12:23 pm

Ok I thought we had a lot in common, but this is crazy :) I married my third “real” boyfriend too and never dated anyone until I was 19. Oh and my birthday is February 23, although I’ll be turning 29. Is yours the 24th? I think I did the math right :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 12:23 pm

Yeah, I can’t explain the dog thing since my cats will do the same thing. It is a huge kitty burrito here. I guess they love each other. Thirties have been ok, I am hoping my late thirties really kick things into high gear. There are definitely “fun” physical changes that occur! Oh and I am with you on the comfy shoes, I swear I have not gotten out of them unless I am going somewhere where they may see my feet!

Kristy     at 12:23 pm

Your wedding picture is amazing! I could not agree more with your comment about getting older. My eyebrows get out of control too and require waxing twice a month!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat     at 12:24 pm

You certainly don’t look like you are going to be 30!! I would have guessed you were 25-26.

And, like you, I didn’t have a boyfriend in high school either! I met my first (and only) boyfriend my first year of college :)

victoria     at 12:24 pm

Sugar House Day Spa is in your area and really good. If you’re willing to drive a bit, Escape Day Spa in Clarendon is aweeeesome. I usually pay $24 for lip and brow wax and that includes a nice tip.

Jodi     at 12:25 pm

Emily – this post cracked me up! Mainly because – well, I relate. I have found myself going in close to check out the lovely wrinkles starting around my eyes. They are laughter lines, right? NOT Wrinkles!!! the dogs are super cute. I guess they like eachother, huh? Hope you have a good weekend!!!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 12:25 pm

Girl you need some shoe boxes! I just use those plastic shoe-sized ones from Target, but it’s so much more organized!

I’m almost 29 and have more grey hair than my grandparents. UGH

Therese     at 12:27 pm

Oh! I’m seeing Black Swan tomorrow!

I LOVE being in my thirties! Okay, so I’m only 31 but so far, I’ve never been happier!

And hell, I had only one boyfriend before my current!

I have the opposite shoe problem, I end up wearing my shoes out and then having to buy emergency pairs!

Leah Reply:

I agree–30s rule!

Dorry     at 12:27 pm

I turn 30 this year, too (October)! And I’m getting wrinkles as well. Forehead lines galore. I got some slipper/moccasins for Christmas from Target – I’m obsessed and wear them as shoes…that’s what happens when they make slippers with rubber soles! :)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete     at 12:30 pm

haha. My best friend and I are in our late 20′s (29 and soon to be 28) and we say the same thing about wrinkles. Seriously, where did they come from?

Your dogs are hilarious. When we add our second one in a few months, I’m sure it will be the same way. For now, we spoil the one that we have. He sleeps on his back between us every night. I feel like we have a kid already!!

Jennifer Cook     at 12:31 pm

I have 2 pups and they do the same thing. Santa bought them a brand new HUGE bed so they could fit more comfortably, but instead they would rather squeeze in together on the tiny one. Oh well! I don’t like sleeping alone either.

lindsay     at 12:34 pm

Aw – your dogs love each other. I think that is so sweet :)

I rarely wear heels anymore, but I love those flower/bow heels on your top shelf! so cute!

And – if you get good eye cream recommendations, please share.

Stephanie     at 12:36 pm

The closer I get to 30 the more I embrace it and actually look forward to it. Beautiful picture of you and Casey!

Sami     at 12:38 pm

love your shoe collection! i’m def. a shoe gal ;)

your pups are so cute! nothing like falling asleep with someone(thing?) :D

xo.

Colleen     at 12:41 pm

I think my wrinkles appeared overnight too, Emily – it’s amazing. The doggies are so cute snuggling together on the same bed. Thanks for your interesting tidbits. Have a great weekend!

Colleen     at 12:42 pm

p.s. that is a beautiful wedding picture of the two of you. you had a wonderful photographer.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 12:45 pm

Having crossed over the 30 threshold a couple of years ago, I can honestly say it’s been wonderful. My twenties were fun, but THIS is the decade. :)

Just wait until the single grey hair starts… I pluck it out, and think it is gone – and then in a month, boom there it is right on top of my head and about 3 inches long! Wha?

I’m also with you on the comfy shoes. I have a pair of Merrells (the maryjane kind) and LIVE in them. Someone once told me there were “old lady shoes”, but I think they are cute!
I have tons of other cute shoes, but almost never wear them these days. Working with kids doesn’t call for heels!
Happy Weekend!

~

Ginna     at 12:45 pm

I married my third bf too! :) third times a charm right? I look forward to my 30′s as well. Going to see BS tonight too and I am already kinda scared! :)

Ginna Reply:

Oh and I now have what seems like age spots on my hands…yuck!

Leah Reply:

get a hand cream with sunscreen in it–they make many of these now (even at Walgreens or CVS you’ll find some reasonably priced ones)

Shannon @ A Better Me     at 12:46 pm

Great pictures! The wrinkles do in fact appear overnight…a least that’s what I’m going with. The doggies want to be close to each other. So sweet! I want to see Black Swan something terrible. Can’t wait to hear your opinion on it :)

Jen     at 12:47 pm

I used to have those yellow ruffly shoes. Target, correct? They were totes adorbs, but I found them really uncomfortable…

Katie     at 12:49 pm

Really funny about the eyebrows. Kirt was making fun of mine this a.m. He says they’re too thin and look like they’re about to “jump off my forehead.” Only HE would say something like that.
Full brows are in…all you need to do is pluck!

Ren     at 12:51 pm

My husband and I LOVED Black Swan. We’ve seen it twice already. It’s an incredibly well-scripted and well-directed tale of, essentially, Natalie’s character’s descent into madness. I’m excited to know your thoughts on it!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 12:52 pm

I LOVE your shoe collection! I have a slight problem too. :)

Enjoy Black Swan! I saw it the other day and it’s a fabulous movie.

Stephanie     at 12:52 pm

Is that actually one of your wedding photos? I think I may die from jealousy.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 12:52 pm

Do not be embarrassed of your shoe collection!! And those are not wrinkles, my dear, you are beautiful. :-)

Mama Pea     at 12:56 pm

Since you asked about the wrinkle cream…I’ve been doubling up:

Olay Age Defying Wrinkle Cream for Eyes AND
Loreal Invisible Lift Under Eye concealer.

I LOVE the concealer. It has a firming cream in it too, so it conceals as it heals. I’m pretty sure that’s Dr. Scholl’s slogan. So it all comes back to shoes.

Full circle, see how I did that?

Have a great Friday!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 12:56 pm

Don’t worry, you DON’T look 30 at all!!!! In fact, when I started reading your blog last year, I thought you were my age (I’m 23). Your puppies just love each other!!

Jessica M     at 12:58 pm

You do not look 30! You’re beautiful!

I have somewhat of a shoe addiction myself. I think I have 2 pairs in your photo above!

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 1:00 pm

The picture of you and Casey is gorgeous! And I love the picture of your eyes. They look like they are smiling.

I also did not have a boyfriend in high school. But these days, I often feel that college has become the old high school.

Maryann     at 1:05 pm

Yes, you are beautiful. And brave to post such a close face picture. I’ve seen teenagers with wrinkles and they are just laugh lines. I will be 60 the end of this year. Yikes!! Can’t believe that. My son just turned 30 like you. That photo is so wonderful. Love B/W photos too.
Black Swan looks interesting let us know. Have fun. You can always donate some of those shoes.
Enjoy the weekend all.

Red Deception     at 1:06 pm

The puppies prefer the comfort of one another to individual space. How cute!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest     at 1:11 pm

I turned 30 last year and love it so much better than my 20′s! I feel like I am really getting to know myself better than when I was 20.

I would recommend Origins eye creams. They are a little more thick and rich than drugstore brands, but they work well.

I know how you feel–I am getting a wrinkle between my eyebrows and my sisters have the same one, so I know I can’t do much about it. Argh.

Casey     at 1:14 pm

I am with you on the crazy eyebrows. Mine are outta control. Personally, I think that yours look fine! I’ve always been afraid to get them waxed for fear that they are going to get completely messed up. Perfectly groomed eyebrows are over-rated! I’m 28, and have a ton of gray hairs and have started to notice some wrinkles around my mouth. I figure it is just from smiling so much!!!!

Leanne (For Health's Sake)     at 1:14 pm

I liked your random thoughts post :)

& don’t worry about aging (or rather, the aging process that happens to our skin!)… you’re a beautiful woman!

I didn’t have a boyfriend in high school either. I didn’t start dating my first boyfriend until I was 19, and then four years later I married him. :)

And I actually love laugh and smile lines on women. I think it makes them look happy even if they aren’t laughing or smiling at the time.

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 1:20 pm

You’re too cute Emily!I’m in my late 20′s(27 to be exact) and feeling these struggles too! Wrinkles? HA…can we keep calling them laugh marks please? It’s an odd place to be, inching toward 30, but I’m glad to be almost done with those “akward, what the hell do I do with my life” 20s.

I don’t know if you have any Threading places near you but I HIGHLY recommend threading to waxing! Much cleaner!

I love how your pups share a bed. My dad worked hard to build two houses for their dogs and they shared one…haha they are cuddlebugs!

hippierunner     at 1:23 pm

I like this fun post! I also love your eyebrows! Seriously!

Lee     at 1:26 pm

Love reading posts like this. I actually really like being in my 30′s. I’m 32 and have enjoyed the past two years much more than my 20′s.

I think your eyebrows look fine. But if you do want to get them done, waxing only hurts for a second. Seriously. Mine are really large and fast growing, so I get them waxed like every other week.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 1:30 pm

1st – The wedding picture is gorgeousss!
2nd – You don’t look thirty.
3rd – I have some eye stuff from Clinique that I like and have tried from free samples. There’s All About Eyes which is white,, but there’s another one that’s pink and I like it more!

Pete     at 1:32 pm

Don’t worry about a thing. Us husbands/boyfriends don’t even notice wrinkles.

We’re checking out Black Swan tonight too in Alexandria, I hear it’s intense!

Oh fun!! We are going to the theater by the Eisenhower metro – maybe we’ll see you there?

Pete Reply:

Ha, funny, that’s where we went too, caught the 7:55 showing. Maybe next time! What did you think of it? It certainly kept us on edge the entire time =P

I LOVED it – so intense, but so good!

Kendra     at 1:35 pm

Your wrinkles are gorgeous! Love them… and though I think you have pretty eyebrows, I will say if you get them done by a professional, they make them this perfect shape that completely changes the look of your face, in a good way. You will be amazed and love it!

And that last picture? That is ADORABLE. My two do the same thing (in fact I stopped bothering to put both beds out), we call is butt-snuggling. It’s a basic doggie instinct, since they are pack animals. In the pack, they sleep in a den and always cuddle up close, and usually have one facing each direction. Because dogs are their most vulnerable when they sleep, they literally watch each others backs, keeping an eye and ear out for predators in the wild. So at home, this instinct is just a good old fashioned butt snuggle!

Leah     at 1:37 pm

I would suggest anything by Origins. I’m 33 (about to turn 34) and I still get carded. :) :) They have some new anti wrinkle stuff that people really love–check out the reviews on http://www.origins.com

faith     at 1:45 pm

I am turning 30 in May and completely agree, I NEVER thought I would have wrinkles by 30! What the?!?!
*sigh* I suppose we will get used to it but I am also in the market for some good cream specifically for the eyes. Apparently lotion with vit. C is AMAZING for anti-aging so I use Avalon Organics with spf on my face these days.

Maddie     at 1:46 pm

I have a pair of slippers-I mean “moccasins” too that I wear everywhere. You can’t beat comfort. Your dogs are so cute all curled up together and the photo of you and Casey is gorgeous!

mom     at 1:51 pm

Emily, you do NOT have wrinkles! You smile so much you have “smilies”. They are a badge of honor and a testament to your personality. Keep up the good work…and keep smiling!

Emilie @livetoeatrunforfun     at 1:53 pm

I say forget about the tiny little wrinkles you have and decide to wear sunscreen everyday….and then don’t worry about it anymore!

Wrinkles are 80% sun damage and 20% genetics… so do what you can and then embrace the rest!

Jennifer     at 1:53 pm

I didn’t have a boyfriend in high school either. I dated a few guys in my mid-late 20s but really, the guy I am with now has been my only boyfriend. Hopefully the only one too. :)

I concur with others about the 30s being great. Many many great things have happened to me in my 30s and I don’t regret my age at all.

As to wrinkle cream: I used to worry about that stuff and pay money for Oil of Olay or Neutrogena. Now, I just make sure I wear sunblock on my face (either in moisturizer or make up). I kind of think the anti-age products are a gimmick and are a waste of money but what do I know? :)

Mandy     at 1:59 pm

I turn 30 in, well 11 months, but still-I feel your pain! Where did these little fine lines around the eyes come from anyways? It just means we laugh and smile a lot-we’re fun gals, right?!?!
You’re taking it a lot better than me though! I need to take some cues from you and think positively!

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 1:59 pm

I would be happy to take some of those shoes out of your closet for you!

Dee     at 2:00 pm

Hi Emily! I love this post! You are too cute!

I love that wedding picture!

I used to work at Bakers when I was a teenager so I totally feel your pain re: shoe quantity! ;)

30 is the new 20! (says the girl who turned 30 6 months ago… notice how I still refer to myself as girl?) :P ps. I don’t see any wrinkles! I think you look beautiful!

I married my first official boyfriend! I like to think of myself as a late bloomer. Lol.

And girl! I don’t think your eyebrows look bad at all! Mine are way worse! :P

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion)     at 2:00 pm

My dogs do this all the time – they cuddle with eachother! awww sooo cute!!!

eliza     at 2:02 pm

youre so pretty – I thought you were closer to my age (23). I hope I look as youthful as you do when I get closer to thirty!

Also, I would love if you posted more about you not drinking. I really want to stop – it seems more appealing every single day..

Cyndi @ Weightless Life     at 2:02 pm

Your dogs are so adorable. I only have one dog but instead of sleeping on her dog bed she usually sleeps in my lap, even though her whole body doesn’t fit.

Sarah W.     at 2:04 pm

I never had a boyfriend in High School either. Oh well!!

I’m 28 and have been noticing my eye wrinkles more lately too! Early this summer, I purchased Avalon Organics vitamin C eye cream to try to combat the eye wrinkles – I dont think its made any sort of difference AT ALL.

a GF of mine always swore by Strivectin face cream, which she used all over her face – a tube is like $150!!! (you can get TWO tubes at Costco for the same price) She was 16 when she started using it, and is 28 now and really has NO wrinkles. its amazing.

So amazing, that I didnt buy the face cream (too expensive) but that I DID get the Strivectin eye cream! a tube normally costs $57, but since I got it at costco, i got TWO tubes for $57. BARGAIN. I’m only 2 weeks in and I’m seeing improvement!!! Compared to the avalon organics which did NOTHING for my eyes. I think its worth the splurge. I’m also noticing that my dark under eye circles have lightened up a bit!!

I use Murad AntiAging Moisturizer on my face morning and night. for cleansing I rely on Murad AntiAging and Acne cleanser and J/A/S/O/N face scrub

I’m a big Murad fan.

face care is expensive! ugh!

Paula     at 2:08 pm

Brotherly love! Awww.

I haven’t forked over the $$ yet, but I’ve heard that Roc is a great brand of wrinkle cream.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 2:11 pm

Happy early bday!

Your eyebrows are by no means outta control! At all. You’re gorgeous :)

And you married your 3rd boyf….that is cute!!! :)

Kim     at 2:12 pm

Would love to know what you think of Black Swan. I thought acting was great but overall I was disappointed with the movie, too strange.

melanie     at 2:13 pm

i hear your pain, girl! i have to say that, in many respects, i look quite young for my age (34.5, to be nearly precise), but i ABHOR the subtle yet visible set-in wrinkle across my forehead. it, too, seemed to appear overnight a few months ago. argh! on a recent visit to origins, i was told by one of the sales assistants that i should use eye cream on wrinkles even if they appear elsewhere, because most other creams don’t have nearly the same level of peptides that eye creams do. granted, he might have been trying to upsell me, but it made some sense. i had recently purchased olay’s regenerist lifting eye serum (it was rated highly in some recent magazine article i read), so i’ve started using that on my forehead. i haven’t yet noticed drastic results, but i’m not giving up! i also use origins’ modern friction ‘dermabrasion’ cream a few times a week and really like it. good luck! and congrats on the upcoming milestone! aside from wrinkles, one’s 30s are great! :)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 2:19 pm

Honestly, I LOVE random personal posts like this, as long as they’re rare.

Congrats on turning 30! I’ve got a birthday in less than a month too and I’m just as nervous for 27.

The wrinkles, I’m getting them already too, but I haven’t tried anything to soften them yet because I just can’t face the fact that they exist! Don’t worry though, no one sees them but you, I have to remind myself that sometimes.

Stacey     at 2:19 pm

Such a fun, lighthearted post for a Friday – I love it! Seriously, I have never seen so many shoes belong to one person though, you could open a store! Hope you enjoy the film. :)

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle)     at 2:20 pm

I love this post! It’s crazy how much things change over time and how when you look back it is just crazy how the time has flown right by!

Jenn     at 2:23 pm

Being 30 rocks! And even though I am 31, I think in my mind I am still 30. I also don’t consider wrinkles wrinkles unless they are there when I don’t smile. Now, they are just smile marks:)
My dogs totally do the same thing. They also have a really nice, new, EXPENSIVE Orivis bed, but they will both lay on their old Target bed. Oh well.

April at cooperlily & blue     at 2:35 pm

I loved this post! My dogs do the exact same thing! I have three chocolate labs (well one is a sort of) and usually 2 beds go unused. Crazy!

And I do have an awesome anti-wrinkle eye cream…not that you need it. I’m 36 and a bit overly observant of things that seem to pop up out of nowhere, so I hear you!

Namaste Gurl     at 2:36 pm

You’re so pretty miss, Emily and don’t need to do anything artificial at all! You have much natural beauty :)

Sarah K     at 2:36 pm

Thank you for posting this! I’m twenty years old and very self conscious about the fact that I’ve never had a boyfriend. Good to know I’m not alone.
I love that wedding picture by the way. And don’t be afraid about getting your eyebrows done….it’s so nice afterward.

Stephanie     at 2:46 pm

I’m a year and 19 days away from turning 30 (who’s counting?) and am definitely both excited and nervous about it!

We are going to see Black Swan tonight too. I’m very intrigued based on all the reviews I’ve been hearing.

Hillary     at 2:58 pm

shoes, shoes, shoes!! hehe. you must add a pair of nike frees to your collection – soo comfy!

i’m glad to hear that you think life gets better with age. always nice to hear =]

Kate Z.     at 2:58 pm

Hey Emily, I’m a Derm resident and I love Renova (prescription) or Olay microsculpting cream (red jar) for antiaging. And sunscreen/sunglasses! Every day! Also I agree with previous recommendation for eyebrow threading- much more hygienic and gentler on skin than waxing.

Meagan     at 3:04 pm

Aww, your dogs are pals.

For the wrinkles (which of course only YOU would notice :) – Juicy Beauty brand anything – it’s great! A bit pricey and worth it.

Sara     at 3:04 pm

First, I love the commment from your mom. It made me smile. Second, I use Burt’s Bees royal jelly eye creme for anti-aging. I like the idea of using natural-based products, especially on my face, but I wonder if they don’t have the same effect and benefits as other products…

MaryBe     at 3:07 pm

I love everything about this post. And, you do not look almost 30. At all.
Yes those are laugh lines! I use Garnier Fructis eye roller and L’Oreal Invisible Lift Under Eye Concealer. At night, I rub a little olive oil on. Sounds weird but it works great.

Jen     at 3:08 pm

Cute doggies!!! That’s so sweet how they share the pillow :)
Holy shoes!!!! I love it!!!
I turned 30 in September, a lot of good things happened in my 20′s (got married, had 3 kids), and I’m hoping for good times in my 30′s as well :)

Jen

Chase     at 3:21 pm

Let me know what you find out about the wrinkle cream, mm’kay? I like to think of my crows feet as proof of the thousands of times I’ve laughed in the last 30 years, but hey, a good wrinkle cream never hurt either. ;)

Kim (Book Worm Runs)     at 3:36 pm

Aww!! The doggies love each other :) So cute! P.S. I wear my slippers ALL THE TIME!

Syndie     at 3:44 pm

They are cuddling Mommy :) Have a great weekend!!! 30′s are great!

Alyson     at 3:46 pm

I’m 42. I’ve never been *too* hung up on my age, didn’t need black balloons and fake headstones for any mileston birthdays, but I will tell you this: my 30s were a wonderful, my best decade. (Maybe the 40s will beat the 30s?) I was past all the insecurities of the 20s, past caring what other people thought, felt great… I even had my last four of seven babies in my 30s. And it was still my best decade (so far). The best is yet to come, Emily!

KaraHadley     at 3:50 pm

1) Black Swan is super intense. But amazing.
2) Those eye wrinkles mean you smile a lot. That’s good. Frown lines aren’t.
3) My dog buries his head under blankets and licks the couch. I’ve stopped trying to understand why dogs do somethings.

Carin     at 3:55 pm

Random thoughts are always the most fun. : ) I have two things to say: 1) Moisturize daily with a good spf, and 2) They’re pack animals!

Karen Bowers     at 4:09 pm

Fun post!

At almost thirty, I’d say your best wrinkle preventer is a good sunscreen every day of the year.

Sana     at 4:14 pm

You look so beautiful! Get them threaded!!! It’s so worth it!

Victoria     at 4:35 pm

I have used the Principle Secret line for years (i’m 43). I get told all the time that my 19 & 20 year old daughters and I look like we are sisters. I love it, they hate it. LOL. I use 2 of their eye products, Reclaim EyeMazing Eye Serum and Relaim Refirming Plus Eye Cream.

Kelly     at 4:43 pm

Love this post! Have fun at the movie tonight! I am dying to see it as well :).

Fear not about the brows! I was terrified to get mine done and that someone would make them way too thin or take them off completely but it definitely did not happen. Just make sure you go with someone recommended by a friend if you go somewhere to get them done!

Tulip @ AppleNoMore     at 4:47 pm

Hehe I love the shoes. You can’t really ever have too many

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 4:52 pm

That wedding pic is STUN-NING! I like to think of my wrinkles (I’m almost 29) as evidence that I smile and laugh constantly! :)

Lisa @ Thrive Style     at 5:06 pm

So funny—I have lots of cute shoes I don’t wear too.

Looks like the doggies like to cuddle :)

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 5:50 pm

Yay for casual Friday– you deserve it! And I’ve always said… the third times a charm:)

Also, you have zero need to fret about turning 30. You look absolutely gorgeous in all of your pictures and I think your eyes are so beautiful and full of depth! Age will never take natural beauty away.

Melissa     at 5:55 pm

oh my goodness, your puppies are adorable, and they clearly love eachother!!! Hope you like Black Swan as much as I did, it’s an amazing movie! Happy weekend!

ali     at 6:05 pm

Hi Emily!
Can’t remember if I’ve commented before. Love the blog! I just had to post to tell you DON’T MESS W/YOUR EYEBROWS!! I think they look fabulous. If you do make sure not to go too thin-fuller eyebrows definitely make you look younger (not that you need help in that department). I am 38 and I would say that I started having those little wrinkles under the eyes at around 30, too. I think they look cute on you..like they complete your smile. Do you have any Irish blood in you? I do and have been told those little lines are irish smiling lines. Your skin is beautiful, by the way!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe     at 6:30 pm

Oh Emily, you are so pretty:)
I have the exact same shoe problem…but unfortunately mine aren’t nearly as orderly as yours. They are out of control! And I can’t seem to get rid of any of them. What if I decide I want to wear them and they’re no longer there?

Also, yay for you for being excited to turn 30. I’m only 27, but I think I’ll feel the same way. Life just keeps getting better, so what’s there to be afraid of?!

Maryann     at 6:31 pm

Cute post, as usual! I didn’t have a bf until college either, ha!

Sally     at 6:39 pm

I am TOTALLY with you on the shoes but I have no shame. I told myself I would stop when I filled my shoe rack and that promise lasted all of 1 week, so I don’t even try to reign myself in. And why?? Shoes are too fabulous to not enjoy!!

Jen     at 6:58 pm

Emily my dear, that wedding picture of you two is STUNNING!

Denise C     at 6:58 pm

I have wild eyebrows too. Please consider having them “threaded” rather than plicked or waxed! It is the best thing I’ve even done for my face!!!

amanda     at 7:34 pm

i love your blog. happy friday!

SaraRM     at 7:53 pm

I just laughed really hard out loud and now my animals and husband are staring.

Emily     at 8:47 pm

I married my third boyfriend, too! Granted my first two were high school relationships that lasted 1 week and 1 month, respectively. :)

Also, what size are your feet? I will gladly take some of those lovely shoes off of your hands. :)

Haha size 8! I refuse to part with any of them. :)

Amy     at 8:50 pm

I can relate to this whole post – the shoes (I never wear heels anymore unless it’s a special occasion), the milestone birthday (OK, I’m about to be 31), the sudden wrinkles! AAAAHH! I just got clinique’s youth surge cream and it’s been fantastic. It has an SPF of 15. It’s super expensive but I’m loving it. :)

Amy     at 8:59 pm

This is perhaps one of my favorite posts actually! It’s perfect for the new year, kinda a reflection, and I agree as I get older (be 28 this year) that I learn more and more about myself and my similarly embarrassing sized shoe collection doesn’t get strutted as much as, oh flip flops and cowboy boots… you get to a place where you are happy with yourself and that’s a great place to be!!!
Oh and the doggies know it’s winter, snuggle time! hehe:)

Emilie     at 9:00 pm

This post cracked me up because I found myself thinking “Me too!” at so many points: 1) I didn’t have a boyfriend in high school. I’m marrying the third one I ever had. I sort of don’t even count the second because he was such a rebound/mistake; 2) my eyebrows are OUT OF CONTROL! It’s embarrassing; 3) I’ll be turning 30 this year (in September) and I’m finally getting to a point where I feel very good about it :)

Michelle...     at 9:14 pm

I use a nighttime antioxidant cream (I use the generic version of Neutrogena’s), and in the morning I use an eye cream because the skin around my eyes gets very dry, and then just a regular SPF moisturizer, because that’s the best defense against future wrinkles! Don’t know if any of that works yet though, get back to me in a few years :-)

Erin @ Shortcut to Bliss     at 10:06 pm

My 5 year old has the same Old Navy slippers and calls them her “Old Man” Moccasins =)

em     at 10:31 pm

You’re GORGEOUS! As for wrinkle creams, I use anything from Olay Regenerist, my skin has gotten so much better since I started using them. Best drugstore product ever!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:51 pm

Hehehe, happy hawaiian shirt day! And I totally get it. I would choose snuggling over a big, sprawling pillow, too. :-p

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge     at 10:54 pm

I actually love getting my eyebrows done. I’m in need of a trim too, because I love it when I look up and I CAN’T see my eyebrows ;-)

Renee     at 11:05 pm

You’re the same age as my niece and I noticed she was starting to get a few ‘lines’ under her eyes. I’m a hairstylist, so I bought her a professional type under eye cream and within a month her eyes were looking so much better. Also, sunscreen is your friend….and don’t forget your neck and decolletage.

Charlotte     at 11:07 pm

I had my first boyfriend when I was 20 years-old as well. Still hangin’ around, that one.

And barely worth mentioning because they weren’t even noticeable until you photographed them – but aw, your wrinkles! The reason I say “aw” is that they’re so reflective of all of the smiles you’ve accumulated :) I think you can learn something about a person as they age by the wrinkles they wear, and I hope that when I get my first lil’ wrinkles that they are gorgeous like yours!

Madeline     at 11:46 pm

DOGS/BFFs sharing the bed when not necessary? A-dorable.

Jessica     at 12:13 am

I love this post! I didn’t have a serious boyfriend in high school – my husband and I started dating when I was eighteen, and he was my first serious relationship.

Your dogs are adorable! They must be keeping each other warm :)

CMae     at 7:38 am

I have wrinkles in the same place! Runner’s wrinkles, I think. I highly recommend trying a serum and an eye cream. I thought I was too young for serum, but a Bobbi Brown rep convinced me otherwise. Love her for that. For face care, it’s Bobbi all the way for me. Expensive, but I love the ritual of applying it at night. And please don’t be afraid of a brow wax. After the first time, you’ll be hooked. Go to an Aveda salon; they’ll do it right with soothing botanicals.

Jules     at 9:17 am

I know I’ve already written you a comment like this, but I seriously love your blog. Love. Those last pictures are adorable, your dogs are hilarious.

And I meant to comment awhile ago but my parents’ cat’s name is Kat. lol, so creative, right? And it’s a boy. hmmm.

Thanks Jules!! :)

Noel     at 9:18 am

I recently discovered your blog, and I really enjoy it. I am planning to make the quinoa and pinto bean chowder that you posted a few days ago for dinner this week and am excited to try out nutritional yeast. Congratulations on your upcoming 30th birthday – the 30s are an awesome decade! Although I have had fine lines around my eyes ever since my teens, I have found that my eye doctor’s advice of wearing sunglasses when I am outside has prevented squinting and helped to keep the lines from getting worse. As for eye creams, I personnally love the waxless “Eye Majik” cream made by Garden of Wisdom, an independent company out of Prescott, AZ (www.gardenofwisdom.com) but a bit of shea butter or a little of your favorite facial moisturizer (as long as it does not sting or irritate the delicate skin around your eyes) can do the trick too.

mandy falgout     at 9:26 am

love this post as i also have a huge shoe problem. for the eyes–i personally swear by the face products from origins. i have been using their face care since i was 14 and am now 33. they have some great products and even though they can get pricey, they are totally worth it. if you don’t invest in yourself, one might just rot away. at least that is my thinking on the matter…..try it and i would bet that you love it.

Stephanie     at 9:50 am

Hello, I just started reading your blog and it is great! Funny post :) I hope you love Black Swan, I have seen it twice and think it is fantastic! (obviously or i would have payed $11 two times)

sheila I     at 9:56 am

I turn 40 this year! I like Origins Ginzing eye cream. I also reccomend eyebrow threading instead of waxing! I have been doing that for 5 years.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 10:33 am

Pssssh I’m only 24 and I noticed that I have wrinkles on my cheek when I smile. I told my husband and he said I better not focus on crap like that. haha

Becca@ Start Over From Scratch     at 11:21 am

OMG my eyebrows are outta control too! And with the chef hat on I’m sure everyone’s noticed I practically have a unibrow!haha i also used to have a shoe problem! although since starting school I’ve only gotten to wear those god awful 20# no slip chef shoes!

Natalia - a side of simple     at 12:41 pm

Happy early birthday! I’m a firm believer in birthday countdowns and appreciating them with each year. The years bring so many wonderful memories, they should be celebrated, not feared! And didn’t you know, those are laugh lines. So keep on laughing :)

Gena     at 12:54 pm

Awesome post, Em. You are so gorgeous, and please don’t invest in a stupid wrinkle cream.

I was a late bloomer too, by the way, with boyfriends. The similarities continue to pile up!

xoxo

Mimi     at 1:38 pm

Although I’m 10 years from it, I’ve always thought that 30 is a young, fun time in life. My parents didn’t have me or my sister until later, but they always seemed so energetic and exciting to me!

heather     at 3:27 pm

I cannot comment on your shoe addiction, as I cannot related. I have a pair of Birks (for winter) Keen hiking sandals (for summer) I replace my running shoes every 5 or 6 months. I wouldn’t even know what to do with that pile! I’m all about your moccasins.
Those wrinkles are from smiling. Leave them alone! Your eyebrows are fabulous. Leave them alone!
My dog only sleeps in the dirty laundry basket. Not in a dog bed. Go figure!
I have really enjoyed your blog this week!
Have a great weekend.

Nathalie     at 3:33 pm

Laughter lines, NOT wrinkles ;-)

Precious snuggle-bunnies, so sweet!

The photo of Casey and you is absolutely amazing!!!

Enjoy Black Swan! I loved it in a ‘wow, now this was a great movie’ kinda way. Intense and at times ever so slightly uncomfotable to watch? Yes. But brilliant! I think Natalie Portman is amazing in it.

Nathalie Reply:

oops…I do know that there is an ‘r’ in uncomfortable ;-)

Carly     at 5:03 pm

Eeek! I love shoes. My husband can’t not understand this! We went away for the holidays and according to him I brought WAYY to many pairs of shoes. And then I got more for Christmas..hehe. I win :)

Errign     at 5:41 pm

I never had a boyfriend in high school either. In fact, my first longterm (2.5 year) relationship just ended. Ouch. :( Moving on to bigger & better things, as they say. :)

Sabina     at 8:16 pm

Ah, 30! Your thirties will totally eclipse your twenties in terms of how awesome they will be. Trust me! :-)

Eyebrows – go to an aesthetician and get them waxed or threaded (I prefer waxing). It’s not super painful and man, oh, man having a great set of groomed brows makes you look even more beautiful than you already are. :-)

Wrinkles – we can’t fight the genes we’re dealt. I’m a believer in the “no cream will erase them, but i can do things to slow down the appearance of new ones” theory. Try:

- applying sunscreen daily, SP30, protection from BOTH UVA and UVB rays.
- limit time in the sun
- even if it’s a cloudy day, still apply sunscreen.
- stop smoking and stay away from cigarette smoke

Sabina Reply:

^^ oops: i know you’re not a smoker (this was general advice; some readers may be smokers). :-)

Christina     at 8:22 pm

PETER THOMAS ROTH WRINKLE CREAM. you can buy this at sephora (instore/online). Though i do not have wrinkles yet, my mother swears by this! im in hs. lol! its kinda pricy, but she used it in the summer and then came back to school ( she’s a teacher) her students (adult ed) were shocked at how much younger she looked.

Rochel     at 9:14 pm

At least the pups aren’t putting their cold feet on each other… not that I’ve ever done that to my hubby. Love the reminder that aging is just a chance for us to grow into ourselves. Stay warm out there tonight – I only live about 30 min away from you and it’s FREEZING here.

Sarah     at 9:29 pm

haha i do the same thing! Except my “moccasins” are from target!
ALSO, i have 3 dogs and 3 dog beds and they all seem to end up on the same bed too! <3

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 10:30 pm

I loved Black Swan, even though it was so creepy!
You look fabulous, and so do your eyebrows.

Joelle (The Pancake Girl)     at 10:54 pm

I have moccasins just like yours – I looove them! So comfy. As for your former shoes obsession- I’m that way w purses, even though I seem to never get use them now that I’m heading to an office almost every day.

Btw, if you’re interested I suggest a blogger meet-up.. I live in D.C. as well, and have been here for about a year now. I’m still looking to meet more new faces. Let me know!:)

-Joelle

Buffy     at 12:32 am

First of all, you’re gorgeous. Wrinkles sminkles. But if you’re looking for something fantastic and preventative…please please please go with Kanebo Sensai Eye Cream (the balm is good as well). It’s a little pricey (but you can find some really good deals on ebay) but you use it very sparingly and it’s a miracle worker. I have funky forehead wrinkles but not a single crinkle around my eyes. I’m 34 (yikes!) and I’ve been using this, and nothing else, for about 8 years now.

Nadine     at 6:54 am

Emily, love the update to the blog! I followed you through Project Food Blog and I am pleased to have found you again via Fannetastic Food. You may notice the wrinkles, but they are just laugh lines…and you look great! I am 10 years and a few days less ahead of you in the milestone birthday arena…the age doesn’t bother me at all. I just want to make it a memorable day! As for the puppies, that is the best! Do they do it all the time, or was this just a one-off?

Welcome back, Nadine! Glad you found us again. :) The pups are always piled up together, but this was a little more strange than normal.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 7:34 am

I’m 24 and haven’t yet had a boyfriend, so I love hearing from other gals who don’t feel rushed to go out with tons of guys too. You and the husband make an adorable pair. :D

Such a brilliant post and I absolutely *love* the pics of the pups. I totally need a dog (or two?) in my life. :D

jamie @ jamelafamela     at 11:16 am

is your birthday the 24th? so is mine! that’s pretty exciting… this will be my golden birthday tho… did you do anything special for your 24th bday?!

YES, the 24th!! How fun! Actually, for my golden birthday, my best friend and I (who’s birthday is April 24th) took a cruise to the Caribbean on March 24th (split the difference). It was aamaaaaaazing, and it is still one of my favorite memories. Our cruise ship was called the Golden Princess. :)

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition     at 11:20 am

Congrats! And that is great that you have a positive attitude about it! One year older, one year wiser! So glad I found your blog!

Mel     at 11:24 am

I don’t have any good advice about wrinkle cream, but I’m wondering the same thing. I think its time for me to start buying a good eye cream and I’m totally clueless. Maybe you could post about it in the future if you find a good one?

BTW, the pups are WAY too funny!

Nelle @ Living Cliche     at 1:48 am

There’s lots of super expensive eye creams out there. Bliss makes one called Youth that’s fairly fabulous, but expensive. Although, my grandmother has always used Mary Kay products and my mother is loyal to Oil of Olay… and both ladies look a decade younger than they are.

I’ve sworn by Aveeno products since I was 15… I think the important thing is to simply moisturize and ALWAYS wear great big sunglasses.

And I think this is the vainest sounding comment I have ever left on a blog!

Nellie     at 8:35 am

We have far too much in common… I also have boxes and boxes of shoes. Now they are all in storage, but when I was cleaning out my old closet my husband saw them all for the first time he went nuts…”you only have two feet! Why do you need 60 pairs of heels? and more importantly, Why don’t you ever wear them?” Pretty bad!

I also married my 3rd boyfriend. A physic actually told me I would do just that when I visited my first her for the first and only time at 19. I also never had a BF in high school.

Hope you had an awesome weekend!

Tori @ eat-tori     at 11:55 am

You make me laugh- quite a bit. I cracked at my 29th birthday 6 weeks ago and bought my first wrinkle cream. For me, it’s the forehead. I blame it on having an expressive face…:)

Jennie @ Designed to be Fit     at 1:32 pm

I don’t see wrinkles, just lots of smiles in the past! I have wrinkles around my eyes already and this is what I tell myself to feel better! lol

Gabrielle Reply:

“…lots of smiles in the past!” I love this. :)

Marta     at 5:28 pm

hiya Emily. from my experience creams are BS. embrace your beauty! wrinkles and all :) eyebrows are another story, they frame your face!! I learned an invaluable trick from a makeup artist. Besides moderate grooming, use an eyebrow correcter (I found one from Clinique, lasts forever) to fill them in a little bit. Takes no more than a few seconds a day and has such an impact. You won`t recognize yourself in pictures!

Marika     at 5:22 am

You look great! I know what you mean, though– it’s so scary and unfamiliar to look in the mirror and see lines where there weren’t any before. I’ve been using eye cream since I was 25 since I heard somewhere that that’s the magical age when you “should” start using it. Who knows if it’s actually made any difference! :-P

Sara P     at 11:23 am

I think you look gorgeous! Forget about the wrinkle cream. I think a woman who can age gracefully is more beautiful than someone who has had tons of work done! :)

Also…my doggies are the same (they are brothers) but they love to snuggle ALL the time!

Christina     at 5:58 pm

Clinique All About Eyes! I’m not usually one to splurge on skin products but this totally gets rid or wrinkles and puffiness and a small pot lasts 4 months.

Gabrielle     at 6:23 pm

Awww, are your doggies cold? They like being together, that’s very sweet!!

Your eyebrows are fine!

Your wrinkles are fine!

Love yourself!! You’re beautiful!!!

Brooke     at 10:19 am

Ive been using anti aging eye cream and night cream since I was 25. I am now 30 and no wrinkles not even around the eyes like you have. You may of not started early and you are seeing the effects now. No better time than now! Foremost clean up your diet eat foods rich in antioxidants drink plenty of water take a vitamin and omega 3 fish oil every day. Sleep get plenty of rest and use a silk pillow case to prevent wrinkles. It’s time to set up a 30s skin care regimen. I would suggest using products that do not cause breakouts and are oil free but add in a anti aging night cream and eye cream. Try Aubrey Organics for a 3 step skin care system of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer with spf. And use there Aubrey Organics Lumessence Lift Firming Renewal Cream and eyecream. This will help clean up your skin care going natural will also improve your skin! Best Luck.

Brooke     at 10:23 am

Oh sorry you can go here to get a 3 step cleaning system and the anti aging products I recommended to you! http://aubreyorganics.com/ they have been featured in many magazines and were recommended to me for a good regimen and anti aging routine by a dermatologist.