Purely New York.

After starting out our Saturday with a run through Central Park and miles of miles of walking all over the city, we were more than ready for our evening of delicious fine dining.  Since the moment we booked our trip over a month ago, I knew we would be dining at Pure Food & Wine – it has been on my list for too long!

We got to Pure and were greeted by dim lighting, swanky atmosphere, and great music.  Upon receiving my menu, my head started to swirl.  Being vegetarian, I am used to only having two or three things to choose from on most traditional restaurant menus.  So whenever I eat in a purely vegetarian spot, I get totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of options in front of me.  The thing is, I just LOVE to eat, and I usually end up ordering way too much food, simply because I can’t stand to choose just one thing.

We noticed that there was a 5-course tasting menu available, but only if the entire table wanted the tasting experience.  The type-A control freak in me thought this was a very risky move – not being able to order exactly what I wanted, as the tasting menu was 100% chef’s choice.  But I set my control aside for the evening, figuring this was probably one of the only places in the world where I would be actually be able to eat every course of a tasting menu.

It was one of the most expensive and most creative meals I have ever eaten, and the tasting menu was such a fun and special experience.  We started out with an amuse bouche of radish in a mushroom miso broth, that sadly was too blurry to share with you.  The lighting in Pure was kind of tragic, so I did my best with the single candle on our table.  I will spare you pictures of all four plates for all (actually 7) courses, but here are the highlights…

Appetizer course:  Casey’s rosemary crisps with tree nut cheese, caraway sauerkraut and a local apple cider reduction.

And my Niwa Maki of avocado, enoki mushrooms, pickled heirloom baby carrots, asparagus, mango, scallions, and spicy wasabi aioli.  It was gorgeous and SPICY!

With the exception of the soup course, we each received something different for every course.  It was a nice way for us to see a huge assortment of Pure’s amazing menu, and for the most part we all ended up liking what we individually received.  Our second course was soup, and they were all the same – spinach soup with clove oil and pink peppercorns.  Off.the.hook.

The next course was the first of two entrée courses (yes TWO!) – Casey received the pizzette with almond and rosemary crust, raw nut cheese, thin tomato, shaved topping and a fresh basil leaf.  Did I mention that everything in this restaurant is not only vegan, but also RAW?  It was incredible.

My first entrée was a raw vegan sushi with avocado, enoki mushrooms, pickled ginger, asparagus shoots, and more.  I am a HUGE sushi fan, and this was perfect for me.

Jordan’s entrée – some sort of avocado mouse with cashew sour cream and tomato salad, served on a crispy raw cracker.

And Laura’s – pad thai with kelp noodle and baby bok choy, topped with snow peas, oyster mushrooms, tamarind sauce, and cilantro oil.

Entrée course #2 (actually course #5) – can you believe we were still eating?  Casey got porcini ravioli with truffle cream sauce and baby white asparagus.

And I received the sweet corn and cashew cream tomales with chili spiced portabella.  This came with a raw cacao mole that was to DIE for…

In between our second entrées and the dessert course, we were given a meyer lemon soda as a palate cleanser.  Tasted like a sweet tart!

When I first asked about the tasting menu and what it involved, the selling point was that you got samplings of every course – finished with a FULL sized dessert course.  Sounded just right to me.  I was crossing my fingers that I would get something chocolaty, and boy did they deliver.  I received the trio of dark chocolate coated Indian spiced ice cream treats – chocolate cardamom coconut ice cream cone, pistachio gelato ice cream sandwich, and chai tea creamsicle.

Jordan got a passion fruit and chocolate panna cotta – truly amazing to be able to make that both raw and vegan.  I have no idea how they do it!

And Laura got the salted chocolate caramel tart with dark chocolate ganache, maldon sea salt, and vanilla cream.  Best dessert of the night.

It was definitely a dining experience I will remember for a long time, and it felt like such a treat to be able to enjoy such a decadent meal that was all vegetarian, and more importantly – totally delicious.  Even though we were stuffed full, our night was far from over.  We jumped in a cab and made our way up to Radio City Music Hall for our evening entertainment.

Being inside Radio City felt like such a special experience.  The venue was absolutely breathtaking!

Casey is a big Iron & Wine fan, and I’m so glad we were able to make this trip happen and fall in line with the concert – such a fun addition to an already fabulous vacation.

While I didn’t know the music as well as the rest of my group, I really enjoyed the show.  Just being in such a famous venue with gorgeous architecture and beautiful music was enough to entertain me.

It felt like the perfect New York day, and I found myself beaming with smiles as we strolled through Times Square back to our hotel.  It started with a snowy run through Central Park, followed by a trip to a gluten-free bakery, a 5-course tasting menu at Pure, and a concert at Radio City to finish out our day.

I love New York.

Jackie @ Baking Charms     at 10:25 am

So glad you loved NYC! I’ve never tried a tasting menu before but it looks like fun. Especially when raw and vegan pizzettes are on the menu! So cute :)

Stacy     at 10:26 am

That tasting menu looks fantastic! I’m super jealous. I love fancy food. Iron & Wine is great, but I’ve never seen them live! I’m a big DMB fan and would love to see Dave Matthews at Radio City (he’s performed there several times). It’s SUCH a beautiful theater!

Glad your trip went well!

Liz     at 10:27 am

Um, wow! Pure looks absolutely delicious. I wish my fiancee was as open to vegan/raw fare. Looks like you’ve made it back to DC in time for more bad weather :(. BTW, I used your tofu tutorial for my tofu for my lunch salads this week and it worked like a charm. I had been frustrated with previous attempts because I thought they used too much oil. This was perfect. Can’t wait to try it with the peanut sauce you made a couple of weeks ago.

So glad you liked the tofu! Honestly, I think anyone would like the food at Pure. Our friends are both meat eaters and they LOVED it!

kelly     at 10:27 am

Looks like an awesome night! I love Iron & Wine :)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 10:28 am

Ahhh! I want to go to Pure so badly someday! I love that they don’t skimp on the desserts.

jen @ taste life     at 10:28 am

That day looks absolutely perfect! I think I would have had a hard time letting the chef pick what to feed me, too, but it sounds like you got some absoulutely wonderful things to eat.

Krissy - Shiawase Life     at 10:31 am

This post seriously made me swoon. I really want to go to NYC; never ever been, and all the places you went and food you ate literally seems magical. I am going to convince the hubs we should visit this spring for our birthday trips. =) Thanks again for a beautiful recap!!

Martha Lilian     at 10:38 am

Oh yum! I’ve been to Pure once before on a rather terrible date, so unfortunately I think I was too distracted by the terrible company to enjoy myself. I am actually going back this weekend to try out their new brunch menu with a tried and true friend and I am really looking forward to it!

Ooohh I bet the brunch is wonderful!

Leah     at 10:45 am

Amazing post. Those chefs are artists!!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 10:51 am

How in the WORLD is that all raw?!?

And your last pic is so pretty… :)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 11:04 am

Ahhh!!!! And this is why I love NYC! :D

Katie @ Shared Bites     at 11:04 am

Glad you had such a wonderful time! No matter how many times I visit NYC, I never feel any less excited about being there. :)

Alaina     at 11:06 am

What a great dinner! I went to Radio City Music Hall back in ’96 to see the Rockette’s Spring Spectacular. It was a great evening!

Glad you had a good time in the city! :-)

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 11:20 am

Looks like you had a great time! I have only been to Radio City once for my brother’s college graduation. It was soo cool! They hosted the graduation like the MTV Movie awards, which was very appropriate since he graduated from an arts college.

Michelle C     at 11:22 am

Awww! So glad you had a good time. I’m a NY’er and I love hearing when people had a nice time in my favorite city. However your posts are making me homesick!!

Jess (Sweet Potato)     at 11:30 am

Your dinner looks so fun! I love when food is presented is such interesting ways!

Leanne (For Health's Sake)     at 11:32 am

I want to go to NYC so.damn.bad.

Looks like fun!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 11:40 am

Isn’t Pure absolutely AMAZING?! It’s pricey but so, so, so worth it. The tasting menu looks incredible- I’d really, really like to try it sometime, but I have to find someone else who would be up for it! Glad you enjoyed your time here :)

I will gladly come back and do it again. :)

Alyson     at 11:43 am

My nephew just went to Pure the week before last. He was actually a week in NYC visiting his brother (another nephew of mine, heh) who has been vegan for decades. So every time he tweeted what they were eating I was sighing with jealousy. But he tweeted every course at Pure, and I was just about ready to pass on I was so jealous. The price tag will prevent me from ever having the pleasure.

Even though there were so many courses they were tiny, right? You didn’t feel overfull at the end?

I was definitely full, but not TOO full. Just the right amount.

Shannon @ A Better Me     at 11:48 am

Yum! All the food looks AMAZING!

Katie     at 11:50 am

Ooh, I love Iron and Wine – they put on such a great show! And that food from Pure looks amazing.

Katy @ Wiggle Wagon Blog     at 11:55 am

Ooooooh, Radio City! I’m jealous. Iron and Wine is going to be in Alexandria in April, too!

Oh wow – thanks for the tip! Awesome! (I have been working in Mischa’s a lot recently and have NOT seen you – sad!!)

Ananda     at 11:57 am

How awesome to get to see Iron & Wine. Sam Beams voice just makes me so happy….

Stephanie     at 12:02 pm

What an amazing experience!!

sarah (sarah learns)     at 12:10 pm

wow, your whole trip has made me jealous. that meal looks like an awesome experience!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 12:21 pm

I get overwhelmed too! It’s like being in whole foods:)

Your photography is beautiful, food looks scrumptious!

Kristina     at 12:22 pm

I love Iron and Wine, I’ve been a fan for years! Although… I’m not totally sold on his new album yet. What did Casey think of it?

He agrees with you – likes the older stuff much better. Although we just got the newer album and we are trying to give it a fair shot. :)

Kristina Reply:

Yup I think I need to listen to it a few more times before I make up my mind – it’s so different, I need to just give it a chance to stand on its own maybe. Glad you had fun at the show :)

Madeleine @ Stepping to the Bright Side     at 12:26 pm

Ahh, your photos make me want to be there so badly! Cold weather and all- that chocolate dessert… um, yeah. i drooled and it’s only 9:30am here. Lord, help me through THIS day hahaha

Hangry Pants     at 12:28 pm

Mark and I went to Pure a couple years ago for Valetine’s Day. It was amazing! We got that same dessert, too!

That dessert was insane. Indian spiced chocolates? SO good!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 12:31 pm

PUREly amazing, lol! Seriously though, what an unforgettable experience… so happy for you guys!

Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 12:49 pm

Sounds like a fabulous trip and your dinner looks awesome!

Lindsey     at 1:23 pm

Oh my goodness, those desserts look amaaazing!!

Sara     at 1:30 pm

So glad you had fun! Would love to meet up next time!
xoxo
s

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen)     at 1:46 pm

Hi Emily!
Do you have any special plans for Super Bowl Sunday? Are you planning on making any special vegan recipes to share with friends and family? Rip Esselstyn, the author of The Engine 2 Diet, and I are trying to have some fun with this idea and we would love your input!

Stacey     at 1:56 pm

I’ve got to go there! Sounds like you had such an amazing time :) have a safe trip back, Emily!

Maren     at 2:29 pm

So much food with so little time. I can’t believe so many different things were tried at dinner. I love it.

Ada     at 2:43 pm

Haha, that’s so funny! All of my friends went to the iron&wine concert but I didn’t end up going because I had too much work. Glad you enjoyed Pure Food and Wine!

bitt     at 3:02 pm

I love Pure Food. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kasey @ thisbodyismyhome     at 3:58 pm

I’ve wanted to see Iron and Wine for such a long time! If you aren’t a fan already, you should check out City and Colour. He’s a Canadian artist that reminds me a bit of Iron and Wine. Your trip looks absolutely amazing :)

Gas     at 4:26 pm

I love chef’s table! It is so fun. When you are a famous chef I want you to do a chef’s table for ME.

Kristel     at 4:26 pm

This comment from your post…”Being vegetarian, I am used to only having two or three things to choose from on most traditional restaurant menus. So whenever I eat in a purely vegetarian spot, I get totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of options in front of me.”… I think I say almost this exact same sentace all time when I tell people about being a vegetarian. Your meal looked amazing, I’m jealous :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 4:35 pm

That has to be one of the most beautiful meals I’ve ever seen!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:08 pm

I love New York too! I wish I was there and eating fancy food too :-)

Kiran     at 5:38 pm

I <} NEW YORK CITY too! And the foods look so delicious :)

That looks like so much fun! I am way too picky to fully enjoy a tasting menu (about half of that food looks fantastic and the other half has things I detest!). I guess I’m just not ready to give up my control! lol

Brittany     at 7:18 pm

What an amazing evening! Pure Food & Wine sounds and looks lovely – particularly the fact that everyone got different dishes as part of the tasting menu.

I love Iron and Wine and have seen them quite a few times but I bet seeing them at Radio City Hall was remarkable.

Susan     at 8:07 pm

Dinner looked great! Tasting menus are fun.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:20 am

what an awesome restaurant!

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan     at 10:00 am

Casey’s rosemary crisps looked like they had crickets on top of them!
All the food looked amazing!

Gabrielle     at 1:14 pm

Wow, what a fabulous evening you had! I think the lighting in the restaurant is “artistic”. ;) The food looks fabulous, but the servings seem small – I hope with all the servings you were full when you left. I’m vegan, but I don’t eat raw – I can’t imagine what the food would be like, but again, it looks really good.

Fathin     at 12:28 am

In my country, some people ate more than 1 Durian, maybe even 3, 4 and I’m talking about the whole fruit!