For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Lemon Garbanzo Beans with Mint & Raisin.

There was talk of a big ice storm headed our way last night.  I knew there was a lot of cooking I wanted to do today, but I also knew that after our weekend in New York, we were pretty low on groceries.  Despite the late hour and the freezing temps outside, I bundled up and dragged myself to the store to stock up on some pantry essentials.

I’m working on a magazine recipe piece right now which, much to my delight, involved buying 15 cans of garbanzo beans.

Lucky for you though, this next delicious recipe only requires one

Lemon Garbanzo Beans with Mint and Raisin

(click to print this recipe!)

Ingredient lists don’t really come much shorter or simpler than this.

Ingredients:  (makes three 1/2 cup servings)

• 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup raisins, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

To Prepare:  Get ready to assemble, dump, and stir.  Start by removing about one loose cup’s worth of mint leaves from the stems.  Fresh herbs make food SO much better!

Mince as finely as possible with a sharp knife.

Add the raisins to your pile, and keep mincing.  One of my favorite tricks for higher calorie items like raisins and olives, is to chop them very very finely.  That way you can use a smaller amount, and still distribute the intense flavor throughout whatever you are making.

Open your can of beans and rinse well before adding to a mixing bowl.

Add the mint, raisins, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt – give a good stir!

Let is refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to help the flavor come together a little bit before serving.

This bean salad is my absolute favorite to date.  The richness of the garbanzo beans, the acidity of the lemon juice, and the sweetness of the raisins – it all comes together so well in this fresh and light dish.

Eat it as a side dish with your meal, or turn it into a main course by spooning it over a salad.  This bowl is high in protein, totally satisfying, and feels light and refreshing with every bite.  I hope you enjoy it!

And just because I’m feeling extra nice today – how about a tip for storing fresh herbs?  If you have ever bought a bunch of mint or basil and simply thrown it in your vegetable drawer, you know that it will be wilted and browning within a day.  But herbs are expensive and delicious, so here is my tip for maximizing their shelf life within your fridge.

Wet a paper towel with room temperature water, and then ring it out to remove any excess.  Place your herb bunch on the paper towel, and then roll it up into a tube.

Put the paper towel herb roll into a large Ziploc bag, and then roll it over to remove all the air before sealing.  If you store your herbs properly like this, they should last up to 2 weeks!  Imagine all the delicious things you could eat in that time.

Enjoy!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 8:53 pm

Nice tip on the herbs storage! I tried putting them in a vase of water before, but they didn’t last 2 weeks that way!

Alaina     at 8:59 pm

Thank you so much for the herb tips! I have some basil that I’m sure has seen better days.

Where did you get the spoon? I seem to be seeing those on a lot of blogs.

Charlie     at 10:01 pm

This salad looks absolutely delicious! Easy & simple too; got to love that :).

Justeen @ Blissful Baking     at 11:59 pm

These garbanzo beans look scrumptious! Too bad I only have the garbanzo beans in my kitchen right now… time to go buy some mint and raisins!

Kathleen     at 12:35 am

I have to bring something to a superbowl party this weekend and wanted a vegetarian/healthy dish… It’s mostly meat eater guys, so more for me… ha! ha! I think it’s a perfect strategy. Can’t wait to make it!

BIOCHEMSITA     at 7:52 am

This looks fab. I’m a huuuuuuge bean fan (all kinds, I don’t discriminate ;) ) so this seems right up my alley :)

Excited for Sat!!

-Laur

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down)     at 8:24 am

This looks fabulous! I love the idea of adding all those herbs and raisins to a big bowl of garbanzos. I’m making this TODAY. :D

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 11:15 am

Mmm! Sounds fresh… I’d like to see that ground up into a hummus! Can you try that?

LauraJayne     at 11:49 am

I heart garbanzo beans SO much! If they were on sale, I’d buy this many cans of garbanzo beans in a second! I can’t wait to try your recipe!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 12:01 pm

I imagine the herb storage tip would work for many fresh herbs, but I’m skeptical about basil, because it does NOT like cold. If you put it in the fridge, the leaves will quickly darken and wilt.

The best way to store fresh basil is in a glass (or vase) of water on the counter at room temperature (if you have a windowsill and they can get a bit of sun, they’ll really stay perky. Trim and use any leaves near the bottom of the stems first so they’re not sitting in the water. We’ve kept basil at least a week this way, often longer.

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe     at 12:20 pm

Thanks for the great idea for storing herbs! I always have the wilting problem. This salad looks amazing! I love the simplicity…and I definitely think it would be great over a salad.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day     at 2:15 pm

Mint and Chickpeas are two of my favorite things! This sounds ( and looks ) delicious

Marian Schembari     at 5:26 pm

Made this last night! Not sure why I made it because I hate raisins and anything savory that has mint in it, but you’ve never steered me wrong so I went for it. And HOLY CRAP it was good! It’s GONE. Honestly, so so addictive, I’m totally in love. It’s got my least favorite ingredients in it but is to die for. Thanks for sharing, you’re such a star!

Whew you had me worried there for a minute! SO glad you liked it. I agree – totally addictive. :)

Parita@myinnershakti     at 9:21 pm

Everything on your blog always looks so delicious! Also, I love your herb preservation tip. I’ve always wondered how I can increase the lifetime of my basil! Thanks!

Kiran     at 11:36 pm

Love this simple, healthy and refreshing recipe :)

lisa     at 10:46 am

I put your blog into my favorite folder, I like your recipes. This one is healthy and easy.

running shoes