The Rest of the Family.

One of the fun things about coming home to our families is not only seeing all the people we love, but all the PETS we love too!  Tina and Eddie have some of the biggest, most intimidating dogs around – a giant Rottweiler and German Shepherd.  It’s funny how dogs can get such bad reps just from their breed.  Even though they look tough, Ruthie and Buggy are two of the biggest sweethearts I know.

Sarah tried to demonstrate Ruthie’s sheer size by posing with her.  She is absolutely gigantic – has to be over 120 pounds.

And Buggy is not much smaller, definitely tipping the scales at 100 plus!

Pets make the family complete.  :)  It was so fun to have Sarah stay at my in-laws this weekend.  We also got to see grandmas, uncles, and pack in as much family time as possible.

My mother-in-law is really into health food and making her own natural foods.  This weekend she showed me how she makes both homemade kefir and kombucha, and she sent me starters so that we can start making our own too – get excited for some fun tutorials coming up!

We spent the morning hanging out in Indy with the family before we packed up and hit the road back to Cincinnati.

We got back to Ohio just in time to visit with more great friends – my three oldest and dearest.  Our time together is never quite long enough.

Now we are back at my mom’s house where the dogs are small…

But kitties rule the house (four of them!).

I love living in DC so much, but every time I come home I’m reminded of how hard it is to live so far away from all the people I love.

Picking up the pups and hitting the road to Virginia tomorrow!  Country roads take me home…

Val @ Balancing Val     at 8:45 pm

How awesome that your in-laws are so into health!!

My mom wouldnt know kombucha from her elbow! ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 8:46 pm

Homemade kommbucha kind of freaks me out! Although if it works…gotta try it.

I have a dog that is part pit mix, but she is such a wuss!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 8:47 pm

Enjoy the rest of your time in OH and have a safe trip back to DC!!

Lori Lynn     at 8:47 pm

I have two cats that I’ve had for almost 4 years now. When I moved this fall, I almost gave them up, b/c they seem to test my patience quite a bit (they’re quite mischievous.) I ended up keeping them, and I couldn’t imagine not having them now!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:47 pm

Love those dogs! I totally understand about breeds getting bad reps. We have a pit bull mix, and whenever we telll people tha, they look at us with that “oooh” look until they meet Charlie. Then, they love him and want to bring him home!!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles     at 8:51 pm

It’s so fun that your MIL is all into health foods – I bet you guys just get along so well! :)

Lauren     at 8:52 pm

AWww, the pets make the family! I can’t imagine our family without our dogs.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 8:59 pm

aww you & your sis look so alike! i bet you hear that alot. my sis and i do too and we get so sick of hearing it… sorry :)

Cindy     at 9:01 pm

I’m loving all the animals your family has!

Safe travels!

Megan     at 9:04 pm

are you running any half marathons in the near future? The virginia wine country half? I am!

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 9:06 pm

My dog was half rottweiler too, and the biggest sweety! A bit jumpy, but loved everyone!

Kamaile     at 9:07 pm

Safe travels!

Sophie     at 9:08 pm

That gray cat is sooooo cute!!

Ayelet     at 9:27 pm

I’m very interested to hear your about your adventures with kombucha and kefir. I’ve just begun brewing my own kombucha. I didn’t know anyone brewing it, so I grew my own scoby from some GT’s I picked up at Whole Foods.

Alaina     at 9:33 pm

What adorable dogs and cats. I always love coming home too. Luckily I don’t live far. ;-)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 9:43 pm

I make my own kombucha in the summer, absolutely delicious! My scoby is currently hibernating in the fridgy fridge.

Slash that dog is as big as your sister! The big ones are my fave, you can lay on them and stay soo warm:)

Kate     at 9:48 pm

Wish I could do kombucha… I get all the health benefits but every time I try it I end up with a severe case of oral thrush.

Also, I don’t think any breed gets it as bad as pitt bulls. I’ll probably wind up rescuing them one day – the shelters in the area won’t take them even if they have no history of violence at all.

Dorry     at 10:00 pm

I have a friend who makes her own Kombucha – I think it’s a fabulous investment to learn how to make it at home! I know it would save me some $$. :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 10:02 pm

That may be the sweetest little kitty face I’ve ever seen :)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 10:26 pm

Awesome, I’m dying to start making homemade kombucha when we move this year (we have no space for that in our current place.) I’ll be really interested to hear how it’s done!

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 10:37 pm

I can completely relate to feeling that way… it’s hard to be so far away from friends and family! Ohhhh boy do I miss Cincinnati! Flying Pig can’t come soon enough!!!

What a fun time! I prefer dogs that are…I dunno, medium-sized? I’d be so afraid of such big dogs, and little ones aren’t not my cup of tea. But give me a nice black lab like the dogs I had growing up and I’m a happy cmaper. :)

Kelly Olexa     at 12:06 am

OMG — total cute overload with the pets!! adorable!!

Michelle     at 12:57 am

I would love to hear your opinion on kombucha! Do you think it really has the health benefits claimed by the companies manufacturing it?

I have to admit I am addicted to GTs… but the $3+/bottle is not great. And I am a little apprehensive about all the ‘flavors’ available (they are pretty sweet, do they really not have artificial flavors?). Does homemade taste similar to GTs??

Might have to try making this at home, would certainly save a lot of money.

Juani     at 3:36 am

I love the big dogs,but I’ve got to say,I’m a cat person like your mom.I’ve got 3 of my own ;) However,I would love to add a pup (or 2) to our little family some day.

Amanda     at 5:13 am

Wow! Those are some big dogs!
I love that picture of the grey cat.

Jen     at 6:42 am

Wow! Those are huge dogs, but they look so cuddly!!!!

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 7:27 am

That is so cool that your aunt can make her own kombucha! I love seeing my family (and their pets too!).
Rotweilers have such a bad reputation, but every one that I’ve met is so sweet and playful :D I bet you’ll be happy to see the rest of your fur family on your way back!
Have a safe trip home!

Lee     at 7:49 am

My brother-in-law has a huge rottweiler like that. He’s also 120 pounds. He looks like he’s on stilts. He’s a sweetie though.

Ashley     at 8:46 am

My fiance had a rottie when growing up and he swears these dogs are so gentle and loyal. They do have a bad reputation but if you bring them up right they can be a wonderful pet!

Sara     at 9:41 am

My friends shared their kefir starters with me in grad school! Makes the best smoothies!!! I use 1.5 cups kefir, 1 cup ice, 1 banana, hanful of strawberries, tablespoon flax seed and honey. Blend away! Sometimes I use a turbinado sugar packet to make it a little sweeter :) So good!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 9:45 am

I LOVE big dogs! I’m jealous of those big pups. Pets in general make everything better though don’t they?!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 9:53 am

I feel like every time I come here I leave wanting a kennel full of dogs. I LOVE really big ones- Ruthie is adorable!

Sarah @ The Rounded Teaspoon     at 9:54 am

My boyfriend and I just started growing our own kombucha and kefir. At $4.19 a pop, my kombucha habit had gotten out of control. If you put a little apple cider in the mix and wait for your kombucha to get effervescent, you’ll be quite happy!

Taylor @ Delish World     at 9:55 am

Looks like a fun time with the fam! I would def be interested in homemade komboucha. I don’t know if I would be daring enough to make it, but I loooove drinking it!

rofomom     at 10:11 am

ooooh! Very much looking forward to the tutorials. Been wondering about kefir lately!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 11:14 am

Your mom sounds absolutely awesome for being into health food!

I love kefir!

Maryann     at 11:51 am

I love that cat sitting on the sofa at your Mom’s the eyes are beautiful. Which I had a cat. Hubby won’t permit any animals but me. And he has asthma so. Oh well love to see pics. Be safe driving home. Flooding in places from the rain we had.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 12:08 pm

My boyfriend’s mom is an incredibly health-invested person as well… I love it!! :D

Beth @ DiningAndDishing     at 12:08 pm

haha – talk about big dogs!! we used to have a big dog in our place but he had to go to his grandparents. big dogs are great but they need more space than our little dc apt can offer!

Shannon @ A Better Me     at 12:11 pm

Oh my goodness, all those sweet babies! I could snuggle with Ruthie all day!

Sara Carr (Viva Catalina)     at 12:16 pm

I know how you feel about living away from home! I’m down in Charlotte and Cincinnati is my hometown too. Now that so many friends from back home are getting married and having babies, I hate not being there to see everything.

Can’t wait to see your upcoming posts on kombucha and kefir. I’d love to know how to make my own for both!

Katie     at 12:44 pm

Why does Ruthie look even bigger than the last time I saw her!? Seriously, girlfriend needs a diet plan!

Kate     at 1:24 pm

is that a DAYTON blanket behind you?? your Cinci posts are making me miss my days at UD, and our road trips to Cincinnati!

janetha @ meals and moves     at 1:46 pm

Ah! So many sweeties in one post!

Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well     at 1:51 pm

Oh my! Enormous doggies — those are huge beasts!

Travel safely.

Kristina     at 1:56 pm

I heart corgis!!!!

Mindy     at 3:28 pm

aww, I love dogs! Didn’t used to before, but we have two rotties now and they are just big old sweethearts! So cuddly and loving. I feel bad that they have such a bad rep.

Megan (Braise The Roof)     at 3:32 pm

I agree, pets make home feel more like HOME. Babies do that too- just wait until this time next year! ;)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 8:47 pm

When I was growing up we had a German shepherd named Buster and he was the sweetest, gentlest, and most friendly dog you ever met. He let the kittens sleep on him, he was scared of thunder, and play fetch. I love dogs that go against the connotation!

fittingbackin     at 8:53 pm

I hope you’re enjoying the rest of your visit! I know what you mean – I LOVE going home to see my parents’ puppers: Maltese momo and Jack Russell buster!! :)

Nicole @ A Vegan in the House     at 10:11 pm

I’m sure I’ll learn so much from your tutorial. I’ve never seen anything like that picture of your mother in law holding the organ like item! It’ definitely has peaked my curiosity!

Hannah     at 10:51 pm

isn’t Kombucha strange? it is so delicious though. isn’t it fun to come home after a period of being away?

sirenjess     at 10:21 am

Hi, I have a question about running. Have you run the Cincinnati flying pig marathon? If you have how was it and how hard was it? Thanks

Jenny     at 11:01 am

I love the dogs!

bein good to me     at 12:23 pm

Wow those pups are huge!! Our dog Lola is a German Shepherd/Rotty mix but is only 40 pounds but every time people ask what kind of dog we have and we tell them the mix they also say “Oh, so she’s huge then, huh?”–she’s gotta be mixed with a chihuahua or something. ;) I bet those two are fun to cuddle with.
My mom used to make kombucha. When I was growing up there was always some fungus growing in huge jars in our hallway closet! haha
-Lisa

Rock     at 8:22 am

At last some rationality in our little detbae.

ojoexv     at 11:20 am